NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time'

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/02/24 23:09:22 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

15 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/25 08:12:07 (permalink)
    The author says:

I'm confused by the last part though, as it's being called a "new feature", but what new feature are we talking about exactly, NVIDIA?

Really? Is the author joking? Or does he have no idea what he is writing about?
    The feature is the architecture change which allowed any random SMM to be disabled but still keep 7 memory controllers synchronously tied and leave the random 8th memory controller in a separate memory pool.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/02/25 08:18:18
    owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4754
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/25 12:29:37 (permalink)
    Bought and paid for like everyone else in the Green Circle. CEO has got to go unless his fan boys hang tight with this bully.

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    EVGA Affiliate Code GMER9XL4N
    mistermister
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5804
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/25 13:09:20 (permalink)
    owcraftsman
    Bought and paid for like everyone else in the Green Circle. CEO has got to go unless his fan boys hang tight with this bully.

What does that even mean?

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
    seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/25 13:40:42 (permalink)
    mistermister
    owcraftsman

What does that even mean?

it means: "Im a AMD fanboy and everything Nvidia does is about money. Because AMD is the jesus of tech and does things for good"

Sorry to break it to you but everyone in AMD is bought and paid for, why? Because they are all hired on as employees and paid by AMD. The exact same as Nvidia.
    owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/25 17:01:46 (permalink)
    I'm not here to argue or go tit for tat. The answers are just a google away in case you've been hiding in a closet. They both are in it for the profit one just keeps the door closed more than the other is all I mean which is not hard to figure out.

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 01:31:26 (permalink)
    Comments which indirectly or directly label another forum member as a "troll" is subject to deletion or editing. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 07:37:40 (permalink)
    sorry but did Nvidia PR mess up? yes

Does the GTX 970 preform like reviews and benchmarks said it would? yes

Are people blowing this way out of preportion? Yes

Also I must ask if you hate Nvidia why are you on these forums, its quite obvious EVGA doesn't make AMD cards
    Fettle
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 400
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 07:48:29 (permalink)
    Did Nvidia said 4gB GDDR5?. Yes.

Do we get it?. No.

Are all benchmarking applications and games carefully picked by Nvidia?. Yes.

Also I must ask if you hate Nvidia why are you on these forums, its quite obvious EVGA doesn't make AMD cards

To everyone:

Kindly teach this guy above me that calling someone out on their lies etc doesn't make us haters or one side or with a negative agenda. Be nice though and no bad language.

post edited by Fettle - 2015/02/26 07:52:45

Case: CM Elite 334.
    PSU: Corsair CX 430.

Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M LE.
    Optical Drive: HP 1270i.
    CPU/HSF: Intel Core i5-3570/CM Hyper 212 Plus.
    Ram: 2x4gB Corsair VS.

HDD: 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB-320gB.

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
    Monitor: Samsung BX2031.
    Mouse/Keyboard: G102/X7 G800.
    Mousepad: Razer Vespula ME3 edition.

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 08:10:37 (permalink)
    Fettle
    Did Nvidia said 4gB GDDR5?. Yes.

Do we get it?. No.

Are all benchmarking applications and games carefully picked by Nvidia?. Yes.

To everyone:

Kindly teach this guy above me that calling someone out on their lies etc doesn't make us haters or one side or with a negative agenda. Be nice though and no bad language.

it actully does have 4gb of ram on the card, count the memory yourself, its all there. Your upset over nothing, and its getting quite old honestly, just go buy an AMD card and go hang out at rage3d if your so upset, the rest of us are tired of listening to the endless prattle coming from this.
    owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 10:36:24 (permalink)
    I do not hate Nvidia I have no less than 5 Nvidia GPU deployed and have been a dedicated Green fan for 20 years but they are making it harder and harder to be so dedicated. The newest series (900s) should have blown away the competition and only marginally does so. The previous generation (700s) stomped on the life cycle of the 600s and still feel short except for the 3rd iteration (4gb)(Ti) on Nvidia optimized games. The promise of SLI is still largely a pipe dream with most games still experiencing random issues depending on driver. Way less than perfect by any stretch of the imagination. We still have to use SLI Bridges and matched pairs for SLI when the comp does not have the same limitation. They continue to maintain proprietary features that force game developers to choose how a game is made and optimized. The competition has offered an alternative that in the end would benefit all gamers, regardless of hardware which was rejected by Nvidia and immediately followed by creating there own proprietary solution again further complicating things.  The competition used 4GB of memory and a 512 bit memory bus standard on there top end cards before Nvidia who seems stuck at 256 bit and initially sold top end cards with only 2gb of memory. It was only after they realized higher resolution monitors, in more than a handful of games, required at least 4gb they started offering a 4gb edition. I mean really they didn't care enough to know this ahead of time? That's what gets me most about what Nvidia is doing these days, it used to be Nvidia leading the way, at the fore front of innovation and progressive thinking, instead of playing catchup from the rear or using a competitors initiative after the fact. Add to that the premium we pay for each new upgrade, we simple aren't getting what we used to for that upgrade buck. It's not that their cards aren't better, they largely are it's how they get there that largely benefits Nvidia not us. Consider how much better they could be.
    This is just another example of how hype and facts just don't come together. Skewing games and benchmarks is only the tip of the iceberg, because that is what we see, it's all the lies underneath that, that is the problem. We have been duped like mind numb robots to accept the next new iterations as if it is the latest and greatest regardless of the facts which indicate they are trickling out innovation slower than Intel. That might be a slight exaggeration but noe the less you get the point.
    It's the same old story AMD vs Nvidia or Intel vs AMD when you win the market share you simply invest in other things, setting innovation on the sideline and worst of all not fixing long running issues.
    I have chosen to support with my hard earned dollar a company (AMD) that appears to be trying to correct this problems. It does not make me a fan boy but I do feel like I'm doing my best to correct and otherwise dysfunctional state of gaming and high end GPU market. God only knows what all this would be like with out them and Nvidia solely in charge. Bottom line I can't wait for AMD Fiji 390x as it will be my next upgrade for my main gamer PC and once again represent innovation that I used to get with Green. It may not be perfect but it will be supporting real innovation not hype.
    On a lighter Note
    Here's a Headline & caption for ya

Nvidia wins market share from AMD

source

and here's a SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco

source

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 11:09:51 (permalink)
    owcraftsman
    I do not hate Nvidia I have no less than 5 Nvidia GPU deployed and have been a dedicated Green fan for 20 years but they are making it harder and harder to be so dedicated. The newest series (900s) should have blown away the competition and only marginally does so. The previous generation (700s) stomped on the life cycle of the 600s and still feel short except for the 3rd iteration (4gb)(Ti) on Nvidia optimized games. The promise of SLI is still largely a pipe dream with most games still experiencing random issues depending on driver. Way less than perfect by any stretch of the imagination. We still have to use SLI Bridges and matched pairs for SLI when the comp does not have the same limitation. They continue to maintain proprietary features that force game developers to choose how a game is made and optimized. The competition has offered an alternative that in the end would benefit all gamers, regardless of hardware which was rejected by Nvidia and immediately followed by creating there own proprietary solution again further complicating things.  The competition used 4GB of memory and a 512 bit memory bus standard on there top end cards before Nvidia who seems stuck at 256 bit and initially sold top end cards with only 2gb of memory. It was only after they realized higher resolution monitors, in more than a handful of games, required at least 4gb they started offering a 4gb edition. I mean really they didn't care enough to know this ahead of time? That's what gets me most about what Nvidia is doing these days, it used to be Nvidia leading the way, at the fore front of innovation and progressive thinking, instead of playing catchup from the rear or using a competitors initiative after the fact. Add to that the premium we pay for each new upgrade, we simple aren't getting what we used to for that upgrade buck. It's not that their cards aren't better, they largely are it's how they get there that largely benefits Nvidia not us. Consider how much better they could be.
    This is just another example of how hype and facts just don't come together. Skewing games and benchmarks is only the tip of the iceberg, because that is what we see, it's all the lies underneath that, that is the problem. We have been duped like mind numb robots to accept the next new iterations as if it is the latest and greatest regardless of the facts which indicate they are trickling out innovation slower than Intel. That might be a slight exaggeration but noe the less you get the point.
    It's the same old story AMD vs Nvidia or Intel vs AMD when you win the market share you simply invest in other things, setting innovation on the sideline and worst of all not fixing long running issues.
    I have chosen to support with my hard earned dollar a company (AMD) that appears to be trying to correct this problems. It does not make me a fan boy but I do feel like I'm doing my best to correct and otherwise dysfunctional state of gaming and high end GPU market. God only knows what all this would be like with out them and Nvidia solely in charge. Bottom line I can't wait for AMD Fiji 390x as it will be my next upgrade for my main gamer PC and once again represent innovation that I used to get with Green. It may not be perfect but it will be supporting real innovation not hype.
    On a lighter Note
    Here's a Headline & caption for ya

Nvidia wins market share from AMD

source

and here's a SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco

source

Nvidia used larger bus's in the past, they where the first with a 512bit bus, back on GT200, but why waste the board space if it only needs 256bit? Nvidia's maxwell is highly optimized compared to what AMD is offering, that is the diffrence, they are optimizing their hardware not just going in like a tank. 

Whats funny is back in 2010 everyone complained that the GTX 480 was to hot, to loud, and used to much power compared to the HD 5870, and was a terrible buy, now that the shoe is on the other foot, AMD is still a god send and no one has any problems. Thats whats wrong with your statement, Nvidia does more with less, and it angers you.

also the fact you think the interview is real is rather suprising, I'm not really sure what to think of you right now, brainwashed comes to mind though
    post edited by candle_86 - 2015/02/26 11:12:47
    owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 14:28:29 (permalink)
    You got it wrong I'm in no way angered. Biggest reason why is I haven't bought a Nvidia GPU since the GTX680s two of which I just sold. Instead I bought a 290x shortly after them that out performed the two of them put together. Nvidia scrambled to compete which ushered in the 780 effectively shorten the life of the 680 in a way Nvidia never did before. At one time you could be assured your investment would last at least a year before obsolete. What are we supposed to do buy 2 upgrades per year now? That's insane or at least my pockets aren't that deep. If anything I feel sorry for those who were hoping for the same as usual especially Titan owners who have got to feel a bit cheated. More over I'm glad I didn't buy the BS so I'm far from angry actually patting myself on the back for controlling my impulses.
    I have one of those 480s left in my arsenal the last lifetime guarantee card from EVGA and it's still a great GPU and it has a 320 bit bus but that's the kinda of thing I want to see before I buy another Nvidia card. I'm in the middle of a new build now and almost dropped the coin on a pair of 970s, boy I'm glad I didn't.
    To the matter of more with less, that certainly doesn't apply to what we pay for Nvidia cards so It's unclear what you mean by that. If anything AMD does more with less from industry support to revenue they are surely on the short side. IMO 
    Final word: I want Nvidia at the top, which is why I wasted my time here to begin with, but before I spend premium bucks I want a premium product at or beyond cutting edge, at a reasonable price and kicking ass with all competitors in it's wake like I'm used to with their products. Stop cutting up old silicon and reusing old memory architectures and stifling the industry with their proprietary BS to give us what we want.

seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 15:52:19 (permalink)
    You do know that the video with the 970, is actually a Mexican comedy show. They don't even talk about the 970. It was just some video that people put dubbing on that showed up on /r/satire and /r/PCMR, that seems many actually believe is real. Then again people still think the titanic was a inside job, and North Korea isn't a real place and just propaganda for USA to control S. Korea.
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 16:14:40 (permalink)
    Why make the 512 MB segment usable though if it brings the card to its knees when it hits it though.  It should have been hidden and separate to the usable high performance VRAM.

Even if they conveyed what they wrote in the blog in the first place, it would have made zero difference because of the major bottleneck after 3.5 GB usage.

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: NVIDIA CEO on GTX 970 VRAM issues: 'we'll do a better job next time' 2015/02/26 17:49:39 (permalink)
    owcraftsman
    You got it wrong I'm in no way angered. Biggest reason why is I haven't bought a Nvidia GPU since the GTX680s two of which I just sold. Instead I bought a 290x shortly after them that out performed the two of them put together. Nvidia scrambled to compete which ushered in the 780 effectively shorten the life of the 680 in a way Nvidia never did before. At one time you could be assured your investment would last at least a year before obsolete. What are we supposed to do buy 2 upgrades per year now? That's insane or at least my pockets aren't that deep. If anything I feel sorry for those who were hoping for the same as usual especially Titan owners who have got to feel a bit cheated. More over I'm glad I didn't buy the BS so I'm far from angry actually patting myself on the back for controlling my impulses.
    I have one of those 480s left in my arsenal the last lifetime guarantee card from EVGA and it's still a great GPU and it has a 320 bit bus but that's the kinda of thing I want to see before I buy another Nvidia card. I'm in the middle of a new build now and almost dropped the coin on a pair of 970s, boy I'm glad I didn't.
    To the matter of more with less, that certainly doesn't apply to what we pay for Nvidia cards so It's unclear what you mean by that. If anything AMD does more with less from industry support to revenue they are surely on the short side. IMO 
    Final word: I want Nvidia at the top, which is why I wasted my time here to begin with, but before I spend premium bucks I want a premium product at or beyond cutting edge, at a reasonable price and kicking ass with all competitors in it's wake like I'm used to with their products. Stop cutting up old silicon and reusing old memory architectures and stifling the industry with their proprietary BS to give us what we want.

GeForce GTX 680 -- March 22, 2012
    GeForce GTX 780 -- May 23, 2013
    looks like a year between them

and Maxwell is new, its not Kepler its Maxwell guess thats hard to understand?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile