AnsweredSystem Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 08:06:57 (permalink)
FX6300
NazcaC2
I would:

- check for a BIOS update
- check for updated chipset drivers
- test with another front panel header

You know, I have not done a single BIOS or chip set update! There's probably a ton. I will do that.

As for another front header, I don't have another, so that makes this kind of difficult.

Your motherboard doesn't have any spare unused alternate headers?

Tell us about where your computer is located. Is it plugged into a grounded outlet? Is it sitting on wood or carpet? Is the floor carpeted? What's the humidity like where you are? Do you often walk around in socks?

The thing I am getting at is the possibility of static electricity triggering the issue. If the front panel board isn't grounded externally, it will send the static electricity down into your motherboard's header to seek a ground somewhere through your motherboard.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

FX6300
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 09:07:42 (permalink)
ty_ger07
FX6300
NazcaC2
I would:

You know, I have not done a single BIOS or chip set update! There's probably a ton. I will do that.

As for another front header, I don't have another, so that makes this kind of difficult.

Tell us about where your computer is located. Is it plugged into a grounded outlet? Is it sitting on wood or carpet? Is the floor carpeted? What's the humidity like where you are? Do you often walk around in socks?

The thing I am getting at is the possibility of static electricity triggering the issue. If the front panel board isn't grounded externally, it will send the static electricity down into your motherboard's header to seek a ground somewhere through your motherboard.

Well, I've got 5 open USB 2.0 headers, the problem is I've only got 1 USB 3.0 header on my MB.

It is plugged into a standard 120VAC 50Hz grounded outlet.

It is sitting on a carpeted floor.

I do often wear socks.

Right now, the humidity is 57%

I really appreciate everybody's help.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 09:25:52 (permalink)
What psu model do you have and how old is it? Using HWmonitor, if you don't own a multimeter, what are your 3.3v,5v and 12v rails saying at idle? Then check with a load if possible? Another thing to check is plugs. If its a modular psu, have you substituted any wires from another psu in your current psu? Are the pins inside your wires, regardless if there modular or not, loose or push back enough to make a bad connection? Having your pc on a carpet, in winter especially, is def a bad idea, unless you have it on a small stand to put it up off the floor some, but you can still have static discharges just from you and coincidentally the I/O portion of your case is what you touch the most.

HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html 

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 10:03:22 (permalink)
FX6300
ty_ger07
FX6300
NazcaC2
I would:

Well, I've got 5 open USB 2.0 headers, the problem is I've only got 1 USB 3.0 header on my MB.

I do often wear socks.

I stronly suspect static elecricity is what is causing your problem. Before plugging anything into your front panel, try touching a metal part of your computer case with one hand and touching the metal end of your USB or audio plug onto the side of your metal case with the other hand. I think if you dissipate the static electricity in your body and the static elecricity in the cord in this manner before plugging into the front panel, your issues will go away.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 10:20:39 (permalink)
wmmills
What psu model do you have and how old is it? Using HWmonitor, if you don't own a multimeter, what are your 3.3v,5v and 12v rails saying at idle? Then check with a load if possible? Another thing to check is plugs. If its a modular psu, have you substituted any wires from another psu in your current psu? Are the pins inside your wires, regardless if there modular or not, loose or push back enough to make a bad connection? Having your pc on a carpet, in winter especially, is def a bad idea, unless you have it on a small stand to put it up off the floor some, but you can still have static discharges just from you and coincidentally the I/O portion of your case is what you touch the most.

I have a Corsair CX 500 and am currently pulling about 325 watts.

I attached a picture of my 3.3, 5, & 12v at idle.

Well, I could put it on my desk, but that would take up a lot of space.

Attached Image(s)

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 10:20:59 (permalink)
ty_ger07
FX6300
ty_ger07
FX6300
NazcaC2
I would:

I do often wear socks.

I stronly suspect static elecricity is what is causing your problem. Before plugging anything into your front panel, try touching a metal part of your computer case with one hand and touching the metal end of your USB or audio plug onto the side of your metal case with the other hand. I think if you dissipate the static electricity in your body and the static elecricity in the cord in this manner before plugging into the front panel, your issues will go away.

+1.... im thinking that too tyger but figured I better cover all the bases just in case. Ive noticed that when I don't, I read a couple posts down later and find out they bought a Hercules or a Raidmax cause they have pretty led's, lol. Maybe the OP should invest in a static strap or a mat for the case and himself to walk on first?!?!?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 10:24:22 (permalink)
Please refer to my previous post for a picture of the 3.3, 5, and 12v rails.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 10:27:08 (permalink)
FX6300
wmmills

I have a Corsair CX 500 and am currently pulling about 325 watts.

I attached a picture of my 3.3, 5, & 12v at idle.

Well, I could put it on my desk, but that would take up a lot of space.

WOW....your pict is showing very high temps for idle, although your voltages look good for idle and being its a corsair im not too concerned with the psu at this point. The mobo temps are waayyy too high too. check your bios HW monitoring section and see what its reporting your temps as and report them back here for us, maybe the app in windows could be wrong....I hope. you may be pulling your rig apart to redo the TIM, but lets see first.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10331
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 12:31:21 (permalink)
His temps are being shown in Farenheit...  They're good temps.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 12:58:21 (permalink)
bdary

lol, thanx bdary. Im so used to everything being in Celsius that I didn't even notice the F. To the OP, Im soooo sorry brotha!!!! In Celsius your temps are probably around 24 or so and that's pretty good. Again, im very sorry about the temps mix up, although what we said about static being a issue still stands. 

Help Our Vets From K-2!
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 14:02:03 (permalink)
wmmills
bdary

lol, thanx bdary. Im so used to everything being in Celsius that I didn't even notice the F. To the OP, Im soooo sorry brotha!!!! In Celsius your temps are probably around 24 or so and that's pretty good. Again, im very sorry about the temps mix up, although what we said about static being a issue still stands. 

The computer industry standard is Celsius.  It really is too bad that people (software developers and users using the software) think that it is necessary to muddy the waters by using Fahrenheit.  If Fahrenheit wasn't an option -- and I believe that Celsius should be the only option -- life would be much easier with less confusion and less incorrect guidance.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 14:07:03 (permalink)
FX6300
bcavnaugh
OK, so we now know that it is only the USB 3.0 that you are having issues with, correct?
Yes USB 3.0 Header is only one way.

No, as I said before, it happens when headphones are inserted into the 3.5mm jack as well.

The thing to keep in mind here is that it doesn't always happen.

I would check you wall outlet for correct Polarity and Grounding.
Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground Testing - YouTube

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 14:12:39 (permalink)
FX6300
Okay, it isn't letting the combined size of all pictures get over 500KB, so I'll do one per post. Here is the first picture.

Let's be honest.  That front header panel is very poorly designed.  The printed circuit board does not have proper grounding points and the USB cables are just sitting there at floating potential (the USB headers don't even share the same ground as the rest of the PCB [they are just sandwiched in the middle!]).  If you look at your rear panel, you will see that all the shielding and casing around all the connections are grounded to the case.  The front panel should also be shielded, have proper casings around the USB connections sharing the same PCB ground, and the whole PCB should have a ground wire connected directly to some metal portion of the case.

As it is, any static electricity introduced into a front panel connection will travel directly to the motherboard.  Realistically, a strong enough static shock to the front panel could fry something on your motherboard.  Your motherboard's BIOS eeprom chip is very vulnerable to static shock and is probably relatively close to the front panel header.  Bad design!  Again, I would recommend that your dissipate the static electricity in you and the static electricity in the cable you want to plug into the front header by first touching the metal portion of your computer case with a hand and first touching the metal end of whichever cord you want to plug in against a metal portion of your computer case.  Once you dissipate your body's static electricity and the cable's static electricity, you should be safe to plug it into the front panel header.  The computer case is grounded to your outlet and everything inside your computer is grounded to your computer case.  As long as all static electricity is at the same potential as the computer case, all problems should be resolved.

This is what a properly grounded front panel should look like (except that the ring terminal end should be attached to a screw somewhere instead of dangling in their hand of course):

Most likely, your static shocks are either introducing an error in a bus signal (triggering an unrecoverable hardware fault) or tripping a protection circuit somewhere on your motherboard (causing it to just halt).

The reason why I am fairly confident that static electricity is the cause of your problem is because:
- you said that it sometimes happens before the cord is even fully plugged in
- you said it happens with either the audio plug or a USB plug
- your floor is carpeted
- you often wear socks
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/01/31 14:39:13

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 15:40:26 (permalink)
wmmills
bdary

Not a problem! As soon as I saw your post I knew you were thinking Celsius.
FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 15:45:11 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
FX6300
bcavnaugh
OK, so we now know that it is only the USB 3.0 that you are having issues with, correct?
Yes USB 3.0 Header is only one way.

No, as I said before, it happens when headphones are inserted into the 3.5mm jack as well.

The thing to keep in mind here is that it doesn't always happen.

I would check you wall outlet for correct Polarity and Grounding.
Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground Testing - YouTube

I don't have a multimeter. I'll try dissipating static from myself and the device before plugging in, and see what happens.
FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 15:46:19 (permalink)
ty_ger07
FX6300
Okay, it isn't letting the combined size of all pictures get over 500KB, so I'll do one per post. Here is the first picture.

Let's be honest.  That front header panel is very poorly designed.  The printed circuit board does not have proper grounding points and the USB cables are just sitting there at floating potential (the USB headers don't even share the same ground as the rest of the PCB [they are just sandwiched in the middle!]).  If you look at your rear panel, you will see that all the shielding and casing around all the connections are grounded to the case.  The front panel should also be shielded, have proper casings around the USB connections sharing the same PCB ground, and the whole PCB should have a ground wire connected directly to some metal portion of the case.

As it is, any static electricity introduced into a front panel connection will travel directly to the motherboard.  Realistically, a strong enough static shock to the front panel could fry something on your motherboard.  Your motherboard's BIOS eeprom chip is very vulnerable to static shock and is probably relatively close to the front panel header.  Bad design!  Again, I would recommend that your dissipate the static electricity in you and the static electricity in the cable you want to plug into the front header by first touching the metal portion of your computer case with a hand and first touching the metal end of whichever cord you want to plug in against a metal portion of your computer case.  Once you dissipate your body's static electricity and the cable's static electricity, you should be safe to plug it into the front panel header.  The computer case is grounded to your outlet and everything inside your computer is grounded to your computer case.  As long as all static electricity is at the same potential as the computer case, all problems should be resolved.

This is what a properly grounded front panel should look like (except that the ring terminal end should be attached to a screw somewhere instead of dangling in their hand of course):

Most likely, your static shocks are either introducing an error in a bus signal (triggering an unrecoverable hardware fault) or tripping a protection circuit somewhere on your motherboard (causing it to just halt).

The reason why I am fairly confident that static electricity is the cause of your problem is because:
- you said that it sometimes happens before the cord is even fully plugged in
- you said it happens with either the audio plug or a USB plug
- your floor is carpeted
- you often wear socks

Corsair not well designed? Really?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 15:51:31 (permalink)
FX6300
Corsair not well designed? Really?

Well....
Electrically, it is not a sound design.  Maybe an oversight.

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/01/31 18:09:48 (permalink)
Okay, well, unfortunately, I didn't have time today to do any BIOS updates. However,  since static is almost 100% positively causing the problem, BIOS updates become a bit moot, correct?
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/01 07:34:17 (permalink)
FX6300
Okay, well, unfortunately, I didn't have time today to do any BIOS updates. However,  since static is almost 100% positively causing the problem, BIOS updates become a bit moot, correct?

Personally, I don't believe a BIOS update will solve this issue.

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/01 10:25:53 (permalink)
So, is there some kind of "stand" I can put the tower on, so as to not have it sitting on the carpet?
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/01 10:54:02 (permalink)
FX6300
So, is there some kind of "stand" I can put the tower on, so as to not have it sitting on the carpet?

Here's what I did.  Makes it a bit easier to work on too when off the ground a bit.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/01 11:32:58 (permalink)
bdary
FX6300

+1

I have to ground myself before I plug in or even touch my computer or even my mouse when the static is high.
You may want to ground yourself as well before you touch your computer or plugin or unplug anything.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/02 07:07:51 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
bdary
FX6300

+1

I have to ground myself before I plug in or even touch my computer or even my mouse when the static is high.
You may want to ground yourself as well before you touch your computer or plugin or unplug anything.

Well, before I plugged in my headphones to the front panel, I touched the case, and touched the headphones to to the case, and no lockups!

If I do this every time, and no lockups, problem solved!

Only thing is, this is a bit annoying. No way around it? Could I somehow ground the header?
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/02 07:41:21 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby FX6300 2015/02/04 12:15:58
Since static is the issue, if you connect a wire to something metal on the front panel header and the other end to something metal on your chassis, that should have it grounded then.  I'm not an electrician, but I believe that would do it.

Someone might suggest an easier way.  Give it a bit to see if you get any better responses...
post edited by bdary - 2015/02/04 11:59:49

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/04 10:19:45 (permalink)
Yep, static is definitely the problem. A couple time when I touched the tower before plugging in a USB device, I felt some static.

After all, some days, the humidity is only 16%.
FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/04 10:22:15 (permalink)
bdary: If you create a post with "If you connect a wire to something metal on the front panel header and the other end to something metal on your chassis, that should have it grounded then.  I'm not an electrician, but I believe that would do it.

Someone might suggest an easier way.  Give it a bit to see if you get any better responses..."

And saying it has been decided static is the problem, I'll mark it as the answer. (I can't mark my own posts as an answer.)

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/04 12:02:01 (permalink)
FX6300
bdary: If you create a post with "If you connect a wire to something metal on the front panel header and the other end to something metal on your chassis, that should have it grounded then.  I'm not an electrician, but I believe that would do it.

Someone might suggest an easier way.  Give it a bit to see if you get any better responses..."

And saying it has been decided static is the problem, I'll mark it as the answer. (I can't mark my own posts as an answer.)

As in post #54 above?  How's that...

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/04 12:15:42 (permalink)
bdary
FX6300

Oh, oops, that'll work. 
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/05 06:47:42 (permalink)
FX6300
bdary
FX6300

Oh, oops, that'll work. 

Or post #43 showing how its done.

Whatever. Mark the tag-along as best answer.

FX6300
Re: System Locking Up When Device Inserted into the Front Panel I/O 2015/02/05 13:17:12 (permalink)
ty_ger07
FX6300
bdary
FX6300

Oh, oops, that'll work. 

Or post #43 showing how its done.

Whatever. Mark the tag-along as best answer.

I'm sorry, (I'm new) what is a tag-along?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile