EVGA

[Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2)

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
alexciobanu
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 576
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 21
2015/01/03 05:13:51 (permalink)

Case: Modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SLI (still need to acquire)
RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominator GTs 2133Mhz
SSD: undecided
HDD: undecided
PSU: Corsair AX860

Cables: Icemodz custom sleeved white and green cables

Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper Monsta 240mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 360mm
Fans: 7 x Gelid Wing Green
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X with Koolance casing and heatsink
Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Full Acrylic
Fittings: Primochill Rigid Ghost Green fittings, various Bitspower matte black extensions and angle fittings
Tubing: Primochill Rigid Clear
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
GPU Block: 2 x EK-FC670 CSQ Nickel Acetal (reusing old blocks that will fit on some GTX 970 reference cards)
RAM Block: EK-RAM Monarch X4 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi
Motherboard Block: EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G Acetal
SLI Bridge: EK-FC Bridge CSQ Polished Dual Parallel
Coolant: Mayhems UV Emerald Green

Lighting: DarkSide UV LED strips

Other: nVidia Claw SLI Bridge, Aquaero 5LT USB fan controller

SPONSOR

Hey guys! My name is Alex, I'm from Gold Coast, Australia and I just joined the forum.

I would like to welcome you to my new build log and what will be my second mod project.

Hope you guys enjoy the project and pop by and say hi 

This build is more of an upgrade of my system in a Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 in which I will be keeping most of the components as well as adding new ones and a lot of modding work to the case and other bits

Here is the build before disassembly and before a pretty major event happened ...

Now back to the pretty major event that went down with the build. One Saturday morning a few weeks back now, while I was still enjoying my sleep my partner wakes me up telling me there is a burning smell coming from the system, me thinking she's just making fun of me as she sometimes does, I choose to ignore her. However as she kept insisting and telling me that it's no joke I got up and went to the other room where the system was just to be greeted by this awful smell of burnt plastic and a couple of seconds later realising that the DDC pump had burned out.

The CPU was rocking 105C according to Real Temp but was still running fine. Not sure how long it's been like that, it was running the whole night as we stream movies to our bedroom from it and before I went to sleep it was fine. I immediately turned it off by just a normal shut down and there went my day as I decided to just dismantle the thing there and then.

The aftermath is shown in the following pics as I went ahead and took everything apart, cleaned it and installed the system on my desk to test everything. Fortunately everything was fine minus a burned out DDC pump  . The little guy has been pumping my liquid pretty much 24 hours straight for the past two years and a bit and it decided it's had enough of the Queensland heat. Just when I was about to mount a heat sink on it along with the upgrade of the system.

And let's start straight with the dirty stuff

As you can see the little guys burned out pretty good, I doubt I can salvage it with a new PCB from that DIYINHK site that still sell them

If I'm guessing right the fluid must have been boiling around the CPU area that caused the tube to fog up as well as deform a little bit to the touch. My partner may have woken me up just in time to save it. Not sure if the system would have shut itself off after a while or if the acrylic tube would of just melted but I think I'm lucky nothing further happened.

Here's the empty case and by the looks of things something funny happened to the label on that Corsair Force GT SSD.

And everything out on the table to be cleaned and inspected 

You may also spot the new side panel that I have been working on the few days prior, finished it the night before.

Here's a better look at the side panel

The plan was to have more molecules but I managed to mess up the left side of it so decided to just make the window bigger. Still think it came out pretty good in the end, minus a few painting mess ups due to an unexpected storm that occurred as the paint was drying.

These are the molecule shapes I used as I am not good at drawing things

A better look at the finished side panel as well as the very last pic of the system running 

The side panel was fully crafted by me using a Dremel rotary tool, a jig saw and lots of filing 

I was also playing around with this new Aquaero 5LT controller the night before. Installed the optional heatsink but didn't get to test it out.

The modding begins !!!

First I cut a small hole in the floor which I will use as a drain from the bottom outlet of the Alphacool Monsta 240mm rad that will be going in the front of the case.

Did a cut on the MB tray as well. I will be making a shroud for the bottom so I cut the bottom right corner of the MB tray as to better help with cable management at the back.

I made a small mistake here and started cutting higher that I wanted to. However it doesn't make a difference as I will be putting some white acrylic around the MB that will cover everything.

I then got the case ready for painting 

In this last pic you can see how the brushed aluminum aspect of the front panel looks after painting.

Some parts will be going green while other will stay white.

The plan is to have the inside of the case white and the outside shell green like the side panel. Hopefully it will look good like I'm imagining it.

Here is the frame of the case assembled once the paint dried.

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex
post edited by alexciobanu - 2015/02/05 08:31:44

113 Replies Related Threads

drake187
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 372
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/03 05:35:32 (permalink)
    Subd greatness awaits i think

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/04 03:38:56 (permalink)
    drake187
    Subd greatness awaits i think

Thanks, I hope it will haha :P
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/04 03:40:06 (permalink)

Hey guys. Here's a small update of what I've been working on for the front and top panel grills of the case :D

I previously painted them white, I then cut some molecule shapes out of white vinyl, though any colour could have worked. I then painted green over them and after drying I took off the vinyl stickers. Very simple do to and I'm very happy with the result.

Cheers,

Alex

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/04 06:08:54 (permalink)

Looks good so far.    :P

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/05 16:47:02 (permalink)
    XrayMan

Looks good so far.    :P

Thanks mate :D
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/06 12:49:14 (permalink)
    Definitely awesome mod work.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/08 04:19:10 (permalink)

Hey guys. I've been getting quite a few things done to the case in the past few days.

Firstly here's the case with the top and front panels finished. Pretty happy with the way they turned out.

I ended up fully stripping both side panels, including the windowed one as I was not happy with the finish. I will be painting them in the next couple of days :)

I also did some work on the acrylic panels that will be covering up the inside of the case in some places. It is a nice glossy white acrylic so hopefully it will show some cool reflections once the build is complete.

Here's the front bit

This will be the shroud for the bottom of the case. Hiding the PSU and also I will mount the Aquaero to the inside of it.

Cut and ready for bending, though it was getting quite late that night so I haven't bent it yet. Finger crossed it will turn out good. It will be the first time I'm bending an acrylic panel.

This is the panel for the back

Here it is cut and in place inside the case. The top right corner bit will be covered by the radiator and fans.

I decided to make two small windows to show off the SSDs on the back of the motherboard tray.

Haven't filled the cuts as again, it was getting quite late that night

Here it is on the case though

That's all for now guys.

Stay tuned for the next update.

Cheers,

Alex

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/08 04:21:29 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Definitely awesome mod work.

Thanks a lot mate :D
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/16 04:54:23 (permalink)

Hey guys! Here's a small update on the build.

I bent the acrylic piece for the shroud. I think it came out pretty good for my first acrylic panel bend.

Firstly here's a look at the painted rads. You'll notice on the 240 Monsta I stuck some molecule vinyl shapes and painted over to have an even look. Didn't come out as I expected thought I still like the look of it.

Here is how I paint the rads. Cover up all the fins with some painters tape and use some long screws to give me something to grab on to and flip it over so that I can do both sides at once. Another option would be to hang them, though I don't have the space for that.

Here's the case with the shroud in, although it's not secured yet, just sitting in place. Also the front rad is just sitting there so I can visualize the look of things.

I hope I won't have clearance issues with the EK-FC Bridge for the two GPU water blocks with the shroud. Might be pretty tight once the GPUs are in.

I might have something special going in the 5.25" bays. We'll have to wait and see

A look from the back and underneath the shroud. Plenty of room for cable management and I hope that once the PSU is in place the Aquaero will have some room left in there

Side panels are still not painted. It's been way to hot and humid here in Queensland to paint these past few days. I did clean them up and prepped them nicely so they are ready to paint on the next cool .. er day

A close look at the SSD windows

I think the windowed side panel will look sweet once the build is completed

That's about it. Now I need to get the motherboard in and take some measurements for the MB tray acrylic piece. Secure everything properly inside the case, get those side panels done and the case will be near completed.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

drake187
    iCX Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/16 05:12:31 (permalink)
    🔥🔥🔥🔥👍👍

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/18 12:26:46 (permalink)
    drake187
    🔥🔥🔥🔥👍👍

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/22 03:14:49 (permalink)

Hey guys. Here's a quick look at some of the components and water blocks.

EK Maximus V Gene water block painted white

Polished EK Ram block with the Primochill rigid fittings that I will be using

EK Supremacy EVO CPU block polished and painted white

Waterblock installed on the motherboard

Removed the heat sink for painting

Added some white vinyl to the side of the ram slot that will be seen. The ram will also get custom graphics

Batter look with all the waterblocks on

You can also see I added some white vinyl on top of the sata connectors

White strip on the RAM though I don't like the look of it, as I said custom graphics for the RAM will be coming

Heat sink is back on the motherboard after painting. I will be making a custom plate for it with some nice ROG graphics to match the theme of the build.

That's pretty much it for now guys. Most of the red bits on the motherboard will be covered by components so they won't be seen and the build will still stick to the green and white theme.

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

drake187
    iCX Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/22 03:18:38 (permalink)
    So clean and new

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/22 16:40:40 (permalink)
    drake187
    So clean and new

Thanks man :D
    Babyzone2
    • Total Posts : 23
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/24 13:49:54 (permalink)
    very nice build , I look that green Theme.

I7-3770K OC 4.7G @1.265V |Custom Watercooling Loop | 4x4G G-skill DDR3 2133 |Asus Maximus v Formula | 2xGTX 770 SLI With EK waterBlock | Creative Sound Blaster ZxR | 2 x Kingston Hyper X 3K 120G Raid 0 | Cool Master Cosmos II With Customized  Full Clear side Panel | 2x360, 2x 240 Radiators | Total 20 of Fans installed.

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/25 02:51:14 (permalink)
    Babyzone2
    very nice build , I look that green Theme.

Thanks mate :D
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/27 05:48:42 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Here are the Gelid Wing UV Green fans. 7 will be going in the build, 3 on the top 360 radiator in push and 4 on the front 240 radiator in push/pull. This is a quick look at the fans before painting along with the UV LED strips from DarkSide. Two of the fans have white LEDs, those will be going in the front of the case on the 240 rad and will be staying black, the rest of the fans will have the casing painted white.

These are the two with white LEDs

I have 9 of them but will only need 7 in the build

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/29 02:13:59 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Here's how the fans look after painting them white :D

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/29 06:33:53 (permalink)
    ZOMG!! I L U V the blue and green and white! best combo eva!
    Keep it coming man!
    When it's done don't forget to leave a post here as well:
    http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/1588237

With that you will get way more attention too, this rig fits in that list as much as everything else I have seen, just wow! 
    You are a good Computer artist, this is not case modding anymore but a form of art
    We could call the MR+1 members the EVGA Computer Art Academy |ECAA|, because that is basically what we are part of
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2015/01/29 06:40:16

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/29 18:27:29 (permalink)
    Gold Leader
    Keep it coming man!

With that you will get way more attention too, this rig fits in that list as much as everything else I have seen, just wow! 
    You are a good Computer artist, this is not case modding anymore but a form of art
    We could call the MR+1 members the EVGA Computer Art Academy |ECAA|, because that is basically what we are part of

Wow such kindness!!! :D Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!

I will definitely post there once it's finished :D
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/29 18:42:48 (permalink)
    alexciobanu
    Gold Leader
    Keep it coming man!

Wow such kindness!!! :D Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!

I will definitely post there once it's finished :D

Hay no worries, your builds are worth liking and worth the publicity.

Computer Art is plain awesome, we all have a gift here and everyone has a different design, different method different way of doing things in general.
    The coolest is that all the computers I seen here are all different and your style is one of my favs, mainly due to your original ways of doing these not too much fancy stuff but still a change from the original factory designs and a clean build likewise.

Blue, Green & White yeah love the color theme, keep up the good work n this beauty Ever thought on doing a 2CPU system?
    Just wondering as I only do 2CPU builds,I make my server builds look like modern game PC's with CCFL lighting and simple window kits

To view all my builds go here :)
    385.) Gold Leader - Valkyrie SMP 2014
    139.) Gold Leader - Blue-Leader SMP 2009
    250.) Gold Leader - Firefox SMP 2006
    251.) Gold Leader - Sveta SMP 2004
    377.) Gold Leader - Stealth 2001
    281.) Gold Leader - Gradinko SMP 2000
    298.) Gold Leader - Avenger M99
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2015/01/29 18:52:40

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/01/30 03:59:24 (permalink)
    Gold Leader

Hay no worries, your builds are worth liking and worth the publicity.

Computer Art is plain awesome, we all have a gift here and everyone has a different design, different method different way of doing things in general.
    The coolest is that all the computers I seen here are all different and your style is one of my favs, mainly due to your original ways of doing these not too much fancy stuff but still a change from the original factory designs and a clean build likewise.

Blue, Green & White yeah love the color theme, keep up the good work n this beauty Ever thought on doing a 2CPU system?
    Just wondering as I only do 2CPU builds,I make my server builds look like modern game PC's with CCFL lighting and simple window kits

To view all my builds go here :)
    385.) Gold Leader - Valkyrie SMP 2014
    139.) Gold Leader - Blue-Leader SMP 2009
    250.) Gold Leader - Firefox SMP 2006
    251.) Gold Leader - Sveta SMP 2004
    377.) Gold Leader - Stealth 2001
    281.) Gold Leader - Gradinko SMP 2000
    298.) Gold Leader - Avenger M99

Again, thanks a lot for the kind words :D.

Those are some pretty crazy systems you have there sir! :D I would definitely love to do a dual CPU system in the future, if I could afford it off course and go all out :)
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/01 03:22:59 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I'm proud to announce SIMPLE MODZ, a new Facebook page that I have just launched!

It is just a place for me to showcase my custom builds and interact with the community. There is not much there at the moment but I have quite a few nice projects upcoming this year and much more beyond that. If you enjoy my work, please have a look, pop by and say hi, maybe even like the page.

As for the build, not much has changed as for the moment I am waiting for a few things to arrive.

I do have part of the system in the case and it is running nicely on my desk. Air cooled for the moment. Also that GPU is in there temporarily, it's an ASUS 780 Poseidon Platinum. Really nice card but it would be too big for the build with the way I'm installing things with the 970 reference short pcb in mind, the Poseidon would be blocking the spot for the res.

Here is the top rad with the fans sleeved and mounted

A better look at the shroud outside the case and also how I install the acrylic piece for the motherboard tray

That's it for now guys!

An exciting piece of equipment should be arriving this following week so stay tuned for that.

Cheers,

Alex

post edited by alexciobanu - 2015/02/05 07:45:15
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/05 08:32:02 (permalink)

Hey guys,

I am proud to announce Icemodz as a sponsor for the build! :thumb:

I would like to thank them as they will kindly provide the custom sleeved cables :D

As for the current state of the build, both rads are now in the case and I have also modded a vandal switch for the power button on the front panel. That got rid of all the cable mess that was coming from the front panel connectors and it also looks really good in my opinion.

Those drilled holes are for something special going in the 5.25" bays

Thanks for checking it out. Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/09 05:25:49 (permalink)

Hey guys and girls :)

Here is the new toy I have been waiting for. The new Silhouette Cameo 2014 edition.

Also other bits I got along with it :)

First cut

I will be playing with it for the next few days! Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/12 01:22:11 (permalink)

Hey guys!

Here is my first time using the Silhouette Cameo. Fan stickers, molecule pattern on the back panel and the same will be used on the shroud once I'm done with it :). I also did custom stickers for two of the memory sticks that will be seen as well as the EK memory block in white.

The colour of the white vinyl used as you can see from the pictures is different from the white acrylic colour and the rest of the case however a nice UV effect should be visible from all the stickers once the LEDs are in. I will test that out in the following days.

Really happy with the results from the Silhouette. Very good software that comes with it and very easy to use, the designs you can do are unlimited :thumb:

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/16 13:33:38 (permalink)
    Looks awesome! Almost there.

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/17 23:54:57 (permalink)
    ILikeBeans
    Looks awesome! Almost there.

Thanks, yea almost :D
    alexciobanu
    SSC Member
    Re: [Project Log] GREEN MOLECULE (modded Fractal Design ARC Mini R2) 2015/02/18 02:44:02 (permalink)

Hey guys, time for another update!

I did a bit of work on the shroud and attached the pump and res as well found a way to support the weight of them and at the same time secure the shroud in place.

As it is now, it's very easy to get the shroud in and secure it, without having to access the back or underneath it.

Here you can see the holes for the pump and res as well as for the GPU cables.

And this is what's holding the shroud, with a dome nut on the top.

A look at the Swiftech MCP35X pump with the Bitspower top and Koolance heatsink.

I have a complete kit from Koolance which includes a pump casing along with the heatsink but I didn't like the look of it. So I just used the heatsink with a bit of mod work on the bottom of the original casing.

Cable still needs to be measured, cut and sleeved

And here it is attached to the shroud

With the long bolt and nuts supporting the weight of the shroud I can easily adjust the nuts to make sure these two fittings align perfectly.

Also as you can see from these following pics, the two side panels have been painted white. I will give a closer look at them once I attach the clear acrylic.

I really hate seeing the stock Intel heatsink on but unfortunately this is the only rig I have that I can use at my desk.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile