Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/01/31 07:50:48 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/01/31 11:25:18 (permalink)
    Plans are subject to change.  I like the line:
     the company has changed its plans and will release unlocked versions of its “Skylake” CPUs in the third quarter of 2015

I started to formulate a theory only recently, what if AMD's departure from pure CPUs was just a ploy to get Intel to isolate overclocking to another platform and take over the void of budget overclockers themselves?  It could have worked, and takes at least a month for Intel to react (time it takes to fabricate and distribute around the world to retailers).

It is funny how anyone suggests AMD isn't competing when Intel changes their mind like this, what on Earth could be so worrisome to affect their bottom line?  Who would they lose budget overclockers to?
    post edited by lehpron - 2015/02/01 10:16:41

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/01/31 12:23:32 (permalink)
    lehpron
     the company has changed its plans and will release unlocked versions of its “Skylake” CPUs in the third quarter of 2015

I started to formulate a theory only recently, what if AMD's departure from pure CPUs was just a ploy to get Intel to isolate overclocking to another platform and take over the void of budget overclockers themselves?  I could have worked, and takes at least a month for Intel to react (time it takes to fabricate and distribute around the world to retailers).

It is funny how anyone suggests AMD isn't competing when Intel changes their mind like this, what on Earth could be so worrisome to affect their bottom line?  Who would they lose budget overclockers to?

That is a interesting theory Lehpron. Maybe AMD saw something in Intels Anny Pentium release data that could benefit them. It makes me think of the Celeron overclocking craze we went through. Those were fun times!!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/01/31 18:12:27 (permalink)
    lehpron

I started to formulate a theory only recently, what if AMD's departure from pure CPUs was just a ploy to get Intel to isolate overclocking to another platform and take over the void of budget overclockers themselves?  I could have worked, and takes at least a month for Intel to react (time it takes to fabricate and distribute around the world to retailers).

I wonder what % of sales is budget overclockers are. would it be so large that intel would lose major profits?
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/01/31 23:58:20 (permalink)
    Check out Intel's price list (400kB pdf), they are currently offering over 150 SKUs in seven sockets (not including Xeons), why?  The point for competition is to steal sales and the easiest way to do that is to attempt to fill gaps in another's portfolio.  Seems like Intel has preemptively tried to fill every gap they have, except they still have gaps if AMD is able to maintain their tiny share of the market all this time.

Intel calls X99 their HEDT (high-end desktop), therefore even their Z-chipsets aren't high-end, which makes everyone else 'budget overclockers'; so no, I'm not just talking about Pentium Anniversary Edition users or those interested in A10-series as those under threat by Intel's actions.

AMD's last few high-end debuts were priced to meet up with Intel's Core i5, they aren't interested in competing with any Core i7 model.  Had Intel isolated overclockers to X99 and its successors, the $200-ish i5-K SKU would go extinct, forcing the overclocking minimum to the $300-range or higher.  Who in here that bought into Z-platform would be comfortable being forced into X-platform just to overclock?  If not, then AMD has a place for you; or at least had if Skylake-K wasn't coming. 

If Zen was meant to be AMD's rope-a-dope after bluffing an absence, adding in that Intel has been leveling out their IPC as if AMD gave up, then the stage was set to take over the majority of Intel's overclockers that tend to buy i5-K and weren't willing to pay twice as much per processor in X99.  But Intel isn't dumb; they did indicate a Z-chipset for Skylake in most leaks roadmaps.  Therefore, I saw it as a contingency, just in case AMD pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

AMD doesn't have to have anything better than Intel.

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/02/02 10:07:21 (permalink)
    I think too much is being read into the TDP difference. Intel always tends to use a higher TDP rating for the desktop performance models. Other news reports indicated Skylake would have both 95W, 65W, and 35W variants. 

I found that timeline the most interesting. Broadwell-E won't even show up until next year and it will just be a shrink of Haswell-E, yet it has the same TDP rating.. this indicates either higher clocks or more cores will be used. I wonder if they will use core count to promote it as an upgrade over Has-E? Since both have a 140w TDP, that implies we could be seeing more cores in Broadwell-E, particularly at the midrange SKUs if nothing else. 

Have water, will cool. 
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re: Intel to offer unlocked 'Skylake' processors in Q3 2015 2015/02/02 13:14:59 (permalink)
    Having the same TDP rating doesn't imply anything about specs, it only exists so Intel can debut any number of processors for the same platform and not worry about cooling, since TDP can dictate which cooler to use.  You're right, actual TDP should change with the shrink and specs, and TDP wattage is different from power consumption, proven by the Intel link at the bottom of my sig. 

Historically, Intel has added more cores once every third series/generations:
    • Quad-cores were high-end from 65nm Kentsfield, 45nm Yorkfield and 45nm Bloomfield (all were 130W TDP).
    • Six-core models were high-end with 32nm Gulftown, 32nm Sandy-E and 22nm Ivy-E (also all 130W TDP except for 150W i7-3970X).  
    • Therefore 8-cores will remain the highest-end consumer i7 model from Haswell-E, Broadwell-E and Skylake-E, all could be in the 140W rating.  Only one Haswell-EP Xeon has a 160W rating, the E5-2687W-v3, a 3.1GHz 10-core model.
    It is Cannonlake-E that we see the first opportunity for more cores, somewhere out in 2018-- unless you believe AMD will pose a threat to Intel before then?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile