EVGA

Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Johnny 5
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/27 21:32:04 (permalink)
WarGasimXDi
Pshhh what you guys talking about, I'm still running Windows 2.0 wiht the Intel 286 processor and maxing out every game out there lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as "maxing out" games (well, unless they have a set resolution and frame rate cap, I suppose)...

...unless you're using one of these bad boys (souvenirs from some of the first PCs I got handed down to me as a kid to work on):

Anyway, Windows seems to be more and more... "meh" the more I see from Microsoft. I've been a fan of Windows 2000, XP, and 7 in their days and through to now, but honestly, I've lost interest in the newer versions. I can't even really be bothered to look up YouTube videos about Windows 10. I work in the IT field and will end up using and supporting it, no doubt, but beyond that, it just seems like Microsoft has gone off the deep end, curing the disease by killing the patient.

I'll likely keep using 7 on this rig as I run very specific and customized software on it, and look into getting an updated copy if Windows on my next computer overhaul down the road.

If only GNU/Linux had as good or better hardware/driver and software compatibility. I would drop Windows off of my maintained rigs instantaneously, especially instead of running both simultaneously on my main rig. I'm not one of these "Linux is better than Windows/Linux is going to take over" kind of guys at all and have no real problem with Windows; I'm just exhausted and excessively underwhelmed by what Microsoft has been doing with it and a lot of their other software for some time now.

To sum it up in three words: Patronizing User Unfriendliness
post edited by Johnny 5 - 2015/01/27 21:41:56

OS: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit, Debian GNU/Linux 64bit (virtual machine on a RAM drive) | CPU: Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2GHz | Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS | RAM: Corsair Dominator 64GB Quad Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (8×8GB DIMMS) | Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black Superclocked @ 1124MHz (×2, SLI) | Power: Corsair AX1200 (1200W, 100.4A @ 12V) | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Cooling: Corsair H110, NOCTUA NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM (×5) | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD (system drive), Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA III HDD (media, backups), Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD (backups) | Optical: Sony Optiarc Internal 12x Blu-ray Burner BD-5300S-03 (×2) | Display: Sony Bravia 46" 1920×1080

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/28 22:56:11 (permalink)
Fennicillin
Hopefully users will get their own key and a clean .iso. I'd rather have a root canal than install 10 through Windows Update like 8.1 from 8. And believe me, I've done both simultaneously.

Oh hell yes, no way I'd take an update only installation.. plus I do a fresh o/s install every 6 months or so, so forget that!

If they bring in subscription based o/s, I am so gone. Let me buy it and then leave me the hell alone.

Other than that, I am looking forward to it - MS have this good/bad/good/bad pattern with new o/s releases; XP good, Vista bad, W7 good, W8 bad... W10 good??? Here's hoping.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Fennicillin
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 03:54:18 (permalink)
I've been definitely enjoying 10 tech preview. Very fast and oddly stable compared to 8.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 04:37:46 (permalink)
NazcaC2
After the first year, the offer expires, not the upgrade.

It was sounding like we were being suckered into a subscription service, which im not for in any way. Once you upgrade your 7/8/8.1 key to 10 then your stuck with it and its crappy subscription model, if that's what they were doing.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 05:09:55 (permalink)
Nereus
Fennicillin
Hopefully users will get their own key and a clean .iso. I'd rather have a root canal than install 10 through Windows Update like 8.1 from 8. And believe me, I've done both simultaneously.

Oh hell yes, no way I'd take an update only installation.. plus I do a fresh o/s install every 6 months or so, so forget that!

If they bring in subscription based o/s, I am so gone. Let me buy it and then leave me the hell alone.

Other than that, I am looking forward to it - MS have this good/bad/good/bad pattern with new o/s releases; XP good, Vista bad, W7 good, W8 bad... W10 good??? Here's hoping.

nah you got it all wrong by your logic.

Win 1 = Bad = Bad
Win 2 = Good = Bad
Win 3 = Bad = Good
Win 3.1 = Good 
Win NT 3.1 = Bad = Good
Win 95 = Good 
Win NT 4 = Bad = Good
Win 98 = Good 
Win 98 SE = Bad = Good
Win 2000 = Good 
Win ME = Bad

see how that works for ya lol.

Honestly the problem with vista was hardware requirements and lack of drivers on release. Back in 2001 XP had little driver support and it ran like a dog on mimimum hardware

Vista got a bad name because compaines sold it on Celerons with 512mb of ram, anyone with a dual core and 2gb of ram never had much of an issue in Vista, add to that it was more secure and over all offered better stability than XP, you'd almost think every geek is a parrot.

Same goes for 8, everyone avoided 8 because a few narrow minded tech types said its junk, yet its faster than 7, its more secure, its interface was easily learned if you tried. Yet again Parrot syndrome took over.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 14:55:40 (permalink)
candle_86
Nereus
Fennicillin

nah you got it all wrong by your logic.

Win 1 = Bad = Bad
Win 2 = Good = Bad
Win 3 = Bad = Good
Win 3.1 = Good 
Win NT 3.1 = Bad = Good
Win 95 = Good 
Win NT 4 = Bad = Good
Win 98 = Good 
Win 98 SE = Bad = Good
Win 2000 = Good 
Win ME = Bad

see how that works for ya lol.

Honestly the problem with vista was hardware requirements and lack of drivers on release. Back in 2001 XP had little driver support and it ran like a dog on mimimum hardware

Vista got a bad name because compaines sold it on Celerons with 512mb of ram, anyone with a dual core and 2gb of ram never had much of an issue in Vista, add to that it was more secure and over all offered better stability than XP, you'd almost think every geek is a parrot.

Same goes for 8, everyone avoided 8 because a few narrow minded tech types said its junk, yet its faster than 7, its more secure, its interface was easily learned if you tried. Yet again Parrot syndrome took over.

I only went back as far as XP for the good / bad /good cycle, and that's my opinion, which clearly differs from yours, but it doesn't make me "all wrong" and you not, lol.

I didn't avoid W8 because of "a few narrow minded tech types said its junk" - keeping in mind "a few narrow minded tech types" was actually many many thousands of users, but I digress - I didn't avoid it at all, I tried it, and I did not like it one little bit. Fine for tablets, phones, and basic needs desktop users like grandmas and such, but not for me, sorry. I'm happy that it met your needs though... 

Vista I found a slow bloated piece of crap, relatively speaking, and it was not because I ran a celeron with 512mb of ram, it was because I found it to be a slow bloated piece of crap with seemingly endless compatibility issues. I never had stability problems with XP pro btw.

So there ya go. I guess some people just like to go with the opposite opinion of the vast majority purely for the sake of it. Maybe it makes them feel special? Personally I try to form opinions based on my own experience.

post edited by Nereus - 2015/01/29 15:00:36

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 15:41:46 (permalink)
Personally, I'll buy Win10 when it releases.  I won't upgrade my current Win7 OS though.  Even though it will mean buying it, I prefer keeping my Win7 OS along with Win10 (dual boot).

I've been running Win10 TP since the 1st release and have been pretty happy with it so far and it seems to get a bit better with every new build released.

howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 16:14:13 (permalink)
bdary
Personally, I'll buy Win10 when it releases.  I won't upgrade my current Win7 OS though.  Even though it will mean buying it, I prefer keeping my Win7 OS along with Win10 (dual boot).

I've been running Win10 TP since the 1st release and have been pretty happy with it so far and it seems to get a bit better with every new build released.

I will do the same.

NazcaC2
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 7420
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 19:41:40 (permalink)
Based on information provided by Microsoft, the upgrade will be available through the Windows Store. I hope we'll be given the option to get an ISO also for a clean install / backup.

Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Prime Z690-A
Corsair 850W RM850x
Windows 11 Professional
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 21:04:38 (permalink)
NazcaC2
Based on information provided by Microsoft, the upgrade will be available through the Windows Store. I hope we'll be given the option to get an ISO also for a clean install / backup.

Looks like it will - retail through Newegg.. [link]

Oh, and this : It has to be clean installed from windows 7. There is only an upgrade from 8 to 10.. that means there must be a disc/.iso

post edited by Nereus - 2015/01/29 21:10:23

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/29 21:09:14 (permalink)

Hmmm.. just read this review from the build a few days ago.. not sounding impressive:

This is a preview version of the OS and as such is not finished. This does not mean we cant follow the progress and determine a likely outcome. For those who are wondering Aero Glass is gone forever. Ive used every build of Windows 10 including the ones not officially released. Im currently on build 9926 which was just released today. 1/23/2015. The supposed start menu is nothing more than the start screen in a smaller mode that can now be maximized full screen. All transparency has been removed even in the taskbar. The start menu lacks all of the functionality from 7. You cannot organize programs in folders and uses the same model the windows phone does now by displaying alphabetical headers and places items under its appropriate header. For example calculator is under header 'C'. It mixes metro apps, folder, and desktop programs all in one under the header. The left side of the menu is no longer customizable at all. you cannot add items to it such as pinned items only the MRU is updated. The ability to choose which items are pinned like control panel, music, documents, etc.. has been disabled in the options dialog. The caption buttons are now giant 24x24 size with a 22 pixel padding between them and you still cannot adjust basic element colors like inactive caption or button face. Cortana is broken and barely works at all. You MUST use a Microsoft account to use her. Search is also broken. doing a search for *.txt only showed 38 results of the 1200 I have and of those only 6 were displayed with no other way to scroll or access the rest. using the searchbar embedded at the top of any window yields correct results. other features like virtual desktops still look unfinished and have no support what so ever. Most animations have been removed although a few do still remain. Most of these differences didn't exist in prior builds so its easy for us to discern a pattern. with each new build it looks and functions less like 7 and more like 8.
Jan 24,2015

...damn.

post edited by Nereus - 2015/01/29 21:13:20

NazcaC2
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 7420
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/30 06:58:50 (permalink)
Nereus
NazcaC2

Looks like it will - retail through Newegg.. [link]

Oh, and this : It has to be clean installed from windows 7. There is only an upgrade from 8 to 10.. that means there must be a disc/.iso

I expected retail and etail stores will have it on a disc when it releases but I was wondering about the format that Microsoft will give qualified users of Windows 7 and 8.1.

Hopefully they'll be providing us the ISO/disc though. It should also prompt for the pre-qualifying product's product key if performing a clean install without an OS already installed (if it will be an upgrade only install). It should also be tied to user's Microsoft accounts so we'll be able to recall the new product key.

Here's hoping we'll see this type of information soon.

Also, with regards to the previous post: functionality and features are roughed in and isn't reflected via the final result. I wouldn't give up on it yet.
post edited by NazcaC2 - 2015/01/30 07:05:54

Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Prime Z690-A
Corsair 850W RM850x
Windows 11 Professional
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/30 10:01:53 (permalink)
I was happy until reading Nereus' post. I will wait until the final version comes out and is reviewed before diving in. Would love to see the original items and functionality, but there is no way to be sure until we get closer to the release date. Still hopeful, as I would love a more current OS than Windows 7.

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10330
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/30 12:03:43 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
I was happy until reading Nereus' post. I will wait until the final version comes out and is reviewed before diving in. Would love to see the original items and functionality, but there is no way to be sure until we get closer to the release date. Still hopeful, as I would love a more current OS than Windows 7.

Yeah, MS says they plan several builds rolling out over the next few months.  Lots of changes, bug fixes, new features, etc...

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/31 09:52:48 (permalink)
Grey_Beard

+1.... agreed. Nereus' post really crushed all my hopes for 10. I guess all we can hope for at this point is a mod pack by a community member. I guess putting Aero/animations/menu customizations/color adjustments back in is so graphically intense it destroys the power savings, compatibility and continuity they are shooting for from mobile - xbox/media center - desktop. Of course, in Redmond thinking, lets just destroy it and not even leave it as a advanced option on a Ult/ENT version. As far as cortana goes, I couldn't care less about that feature. That's something you bury in there since most wont use it. They really excel at ruining things there, I got to hand it to them.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/31 09:58:58 (permalink)
Nereus

Hmmm.. just read this review from the build a few days ago.. not sounding impressive:

This is a preview version of the OS and as such is not finished. This does not mean we cant follow the progress and determine a likely outcome. For those who are wondering Aero Glass is gone forever. Ive used every build of Windows 10 including the ones not officially released. Im currently on build 9926 which was just released today. 1/23/2015. The supposed start menu is nothing more than the start screen in a smaller mode that can now be maximized full screen. All transparency has been removed even in the taskbar. The start menu lacks all of the functionality from 7. You cannot organize programs in folders and uses the same model the windows phone does now by displaying alphabetical headers and places items under its appropriate header. For example calculator is under header 'C'. It mixes metro apps, folder, and desktop programs all in one under the header. The left side of the menu is no longer customizable at all. you cannot add items to it such as pinned items only the MRU is updated. The ability to choose which items are pinned like control panel, music, documents, etc.. has been disabled in the options dialog. The caption buttons are now giant 24x24 size with a 22 pixel padding between them and you still cannot adjust basic element colors like inactive caption or button face. Cortana is broken and barely works at all. You MUST use a Microsoft account to use her. Search is also broken. doing a search for *.txt only showed 38 results of the 1200 I have and of those only 6 were displayed with no other way to scroll or access the rest. using the searchbar embedded at the top of any window yields correct results. other features like virtual desktops still look unfinished and have no support what so ever. Most animations have been removed although a few do still remain. Most of these differences didn't exist in prior builds so its easy for us to discern a pattern. with each new build it looks and functions less like 7 and more like 8.
Jan 24,2015

...damn.

Fail. 
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/31 14:27:58 (permalink)

Sorry to deflate your hopes guys, and again, I was just pasting someone else's review.

I sincerely hope that the final product doesn't turn out to be an exercise in the futility of hoping MS would at last listen to what users want, rather than telling them what they want. I too had my hopes up for W10.

awalleyeguy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3444
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/01/31 15:21:40 (permalink)
Seems to be win 8 renamed. I guess when M$ got their head stuck up their rear the fumes have destroyed the ability to hear and learn. I still do not understand the thinking of trying to make a mobile OS and force it upon a desktop. Is it really so difficult to give the option at install of classic/desktop or mobile/other.
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/02/02 09:51:28 (permalink)
As I posted elsewhere, my only question is will Win 10 still use Pro / Non-pro branding? If so what features make the split this time? Also if everyone gets a free upgrade, then do Windows 7 Ultimate users and Windows 8.1 Pro users get upgraded to the "pro" or whatever edition of Windows 10? 

I enjoy Pro because I make extensive use of the free usage rights to HyperV. Non-Pro users don't get that option. VMware is great to use but not having to buy VMware Workstation makes HyperV much more attractive to me. I'm really hoping Microsoft continues to see the light and just does away with the split editions for consumers entirely. But to be honest I'm really surprised MS bit the bullet and made Win 10 a free upgrade to 8 (and especially surprising) Win 7 users as it was, so hoping consumers get a single edition may be a little too much wishful thinking on my part.

Have water, will cool. 
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/02/02 11:30:12 (permalink)
of course they would keep pro, small-medium bussiness dont get a Volume License and just use pro, they still need AD though.
saifrehman23
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/02/02 17:11:14 (permalink)
mistermister
NazcaC2
After the first year, the offer expires, not the upgrade.

Thank you for clarifying that point. I was wondering if this was just a long trial edition or something.

Right? I was in the same boat, thank you!

CPU: FX-8350 Black Edition | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1866 9-10-9-27 1.5v | Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 | GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X | PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum Rated | SSD: OCZ Vertex 460 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Case: Corsair 450D | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM
Fennicillin
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for the first year !!!!! 2015/02/02 17:19:42 (permalink)
awalleyeguy
Seems to be win 8 renamed. I guess when M$ got their head stuck up their rear the fumes have destroyed the ability to hear and learn. I still do not understand the thinking of trying to make a mobile OS and force it upon a desktop. Is it really so difficult to give the option at install of classic/desktop or mobile/other.

Renamed, sped up with extra and *CORRECT* functionality for every platform. Which is what counts.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile