Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/27 05:51:04 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
@ Hazman,
I never bash other products because I do not care. I already own the best and know it, so there is no reason to bash them. I just feel sorry for those that need to. I guess when you are truly the best, everyone is after you in very vicious ways. Never had an android phone and probably never will, so I have no perspective and no idea how they work. I just know those that have switched say they wish they did a lot sooner. The things is I like it when things work, regardless of my affinity for computers. I spend too much time with other IT things that never do and really enjoy it when a manufacturer does it right and can appreciate that.

I dont bash other products because I dont care either and I feel sorry too for those people that just products because of brand name. I bash them with my first hand experience. As you can see when commenting to Halo, I told him how I get pissed off with using Itunes. The things is I like it when things work too and I am sure everyone wants that as well. The things that I dont like is when things work but I am restricted on what I can do when it works right. My hatred for Apple is that I cant optimize and do what I want as well as being able to only use their proprietary things. And what gets me down to the bone with that is such stupid little things that Apple likes to restrict such as for example not being able to shut off/uninstall certain services that are not need to improve battery life, performance, and having more space. Now dont get me wrong there are certain Android phones that dont allow you to do that as well*cough Samsung*. So thats why I choose the best phone for android and that is the Nexus experience because of all the freedoms you have with stock pure android. It just feels soooo good to have a pure experience. Its like that feeling when you install a fresh version of windows on your computer.
post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2015/01/27 05:54:01

Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12859
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/27 06:32:23 (permalink)
If there was a Nexus phone with a solid camera, I might have gone that way. Unfortunately Google doesn't see it as necessary to cater to the people who like a phone <5". (Yes I know there's the Nexus 5, but it's basically already EOL).

Ironically Hazman, I actually already use iTunes to import from my CD collection in the apple lossless format. I don't buy music on it though, I generally only buy CDs.

On the note of battery life... On an average day with my Moto G I was at about 15% by 6pm. With the iPhone I finished the day (8am-2am) yesterday and went to bed with 45%. So no complaints there.

When I got an android phone I thought I would enjoy tuning it but really I just found it a pain. This time I just wanted the simplicity on my phone.

And why does it matter if they want card info for the App Store? I just used my reloadable prepaid card, no big deal.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/27 09:37:18 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
RainStryke
lol I think it's ridiculous that Apple needs your credit/debit card information just to use the app store, even for the free apps. I found that out today, trying to help my mom get a jigsaw puzzle game on her iPad 3. 

Note quite sure why that is a big deal. I have had these devices for a decade with no problems. If you get free apps, never a charge. Also Apple is 200 times more secure than your bank. They actually have invented the best and most secure payment system, Apple Pay.

I actually thought about how "secure" it was... my mom never remembers her passwords to her e-mail and stuff, so it was an absolute pain for me to work on her iPad. At first when we went to download the game she wanted, we had to log into iCloud. We couldn't get the password correct and the she couldn't remember the correct answers for her security questions, we tried those questions like 5 times... Anyway, I realized her iPad was actually logged into e-mail and had 1 unread... It was for a password change, I just went into it and I changed the password to something I could remember for her... It didn't require any security questions or prior password authentication. That's when I realized, if someone stole her iPad, they would of had access to everything and could have claimed her e-mail for their own. Which would give them all the access they want to whatever kind of debit/credit cards she set up on the account. That's a MAJOR security flaw.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/27 11:34:29 (permalink)
Not trying to sound like a fanboy but I would never own any apple product. Itunes, ipad, ipod, I- whatever. I can't stand the interface and the hoops to jump through for some simple things is just too much. Compatibility issues and everything else. When someone wants me to work on their computer, If it's an apple, I tell them to go elsewhere. Their phones do look cool but just not for me. 

The camera on this LG G3 is amazing but if I need to take really good pics, I have a camera for that. I love using splashtop to control my other computers when I am away too. It's crazy that just a little over 10 years ago, you had to have an antenna, you had only two colors and the only game I had was "snake" lol 
post edited by agent8 - 2015/01/27 11:58:49
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/27 11:51:02 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
Damn it you got an iphone! Well your going to regret it sooner or later. If your like me your going to get pissed off with using Apples itunes because you cant just drag and drop music and use your phone with other computers. Also your going to get pissed off on how badly you get ripped off using Apples proprietary stuff. Lets not forget if you have any problems your going to have to go through Apple's retarded customer service experts.

Anyways those things you say you cant do on an android phone well you can. For example you dont need to be rooted to take a screen shot. You just push the power and volume button thats all. Also the flash lights on androids are basically widgets and on Lollipop the notification bar now has flash light for you there. Keyboards on Androids now days like the LG G3, Nexus 6, Note 4, HTC M8 are very responsive. Maybe some of you just have too big of fat fingers that are too oily.(I have big fat thumbs, thats why I like big phablet phones). It also depends if you have screen protectors on too.   Also who cares about pressing 6 or 7 for voice mails? I guess people are that lazy to push a button now days. All I have to say is you just locked your self down by going with Apple. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with an iphone that is if your like my mom and dad who are computer illiterate, then going iphone is a better choice do to the simplicity compared to android. But I know you are a computer nerd just like me and many other members on this forum and being mostly locked down to do what you want is going to piss you off sooner or later.

Main reason I didn't make any comment about iPhone is because iPhone users tend to go completely off the rails if anyone attempts to point out issues with any Apple product.. but yeah, I definitely would not have recommended the iPhone.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12859
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/01/29 10:11:01 (permalink)
agent8
Not trying to sound like a fanboy but I would never own any apple product. Itunes, ipad, ipod, I- whatever. I can't stand the interface and the hoops to jump through for some simple things is just too much. Compatibility issues and everything else. When someone wants me to work on their computer, If it's an apple, I tell them to go elsewhere. Their phones do look cool but just not for me. 

The camera on this LG G3 is amazing but if I need to take really good pics, I have a camera for that. I love using splashtop to control my other computers when I am away too. It's crazy that just a little over 10 years ago, you had to have an antenna, you had only two colors and the only game I had was "snake" lol 

I actually very much agree with you. The iPhone is the only Apple device I like. I think the UI on it works pretty well (currently). Previously I hated it but they did take a lot of design ques from Android and I think it paid off well. The UI is good for the phone, but I really hate it on an iPad or Mac computer, both of them are horrible. While the UI on the iPhone and iPad are technically the same, I find the iPad much harder to use, it doesn't seem to scale very well. Ironically, I really like the Android UI on a tablet (like my KFHD7), but I'm not a huge fan of it on phones. The Mac UI looks cool but it's way too hard to use for a power user.

So far I only have a couple of slight complaints about the iPhone 6. First, it is slightly more quiet on a phone call, but the difference is huge with a case on. (That may just be an issue with the Lifeproof design though.) I've also had people complain about call quality with the case on, but with the case off people say it is crystal clear. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan of not having an icon/app thingy for People/Contacts or w/e, instead you go to the phone then to contacts tab on the bottom, just a bit odd.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

NazcaC2
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 7420
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/17 18:58:42 (permalink)
Resurrecting this thread....

My LG Nexus 5 has gotten sluggish and its battery life was about four hours. I spoke to the rep at my carrier yesterday and at no extra cost chose their first and only recommendation, the LG G3 (32GB, 3GB RAM). The second rep there even said the camera was outright better than her iPhone's. At first, I was considering a newer Nexus but they stated that Android had been running poorly on the Nexus devices. I am very pleased with their recommendation.

I've been reading some of your responses today, especially Hazmat's claiming the Nexus 6 is "hell of a lot faster and gaming would be sluggish on the G3." It's only 200 MHz quicker.

Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Prime Z690-A
Corsair 850W RM850x
Windows 11 Professional
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/17 19:02:44 (permalink)

I switched from HTC One (M7) to LG G4 a few weeks ago. Loving the G4, and the camera is amazing.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/18 01:18:23 (permalink)
NazcaC2
Resurrecting this thread....

My LG Nexus 5 has gotten sluggish and its battery life was about four hours. I spoke to the rep at my carrier yesterday and at no extra cost chose their first and only recommendation, the LG G3 (32GB, 3GB RAM). The second rep there even said the camera was outright better than her iPhone's. At first, I was considering a newer Nexus but they stated that Android had been running poorly on the Nexus devices. I am very pleased with their recommendation.

I've been reading some of your responses today, especially Hazmat's claiming the Nexus 6 is "hell of a lot faster and gaming would be sluggish on the G3." It's only 200 MHz quicker.

My comment about the G3 was not about the CPU it has. Of course its 200mhz slower. But the graphics chip for gaming is what I was referring too. The G3 has a 330 Adreno GPU while the Nexus 6 has a 420 Adreno GPU. Also you have to consider that the LG 3 Snapdragon 801 chip's RAM is running a Dual channel 32bit at 12.8GBps while the Nexus 6 Snapdragon 805 RAM is running a Dual channel 64 bit at 25.6GBps.  Whats funny too is the Nexus 6 Snapdragon 805 chips GPU is faster than the Snapdragon 808s GPU which the 808 has a 418 Adreno. Yeah its not much of a performance gap but you would think it would be up there with the new Snapdragon's 810 GPU(430 Adreno) since both the 808 and 810 have are the latest chips. The only thing really going for the 808 chip is the dual quad core CPUs. Now the RAM on the 808 chip is using the same 32bit as the 801's chip. But one advantage the 810 has is that it is now using DDR4 ram. Just the thing is that everything comes in play when your dealing with gaming my friend especially when its on a mobile device since your limited.

NazcaC2
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 7420
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/18 15:37:47 (permalink)
That's ok. All I'm saying is I wouldn't call it sluggish. Your needs are different than mine, and getting the phone at no extra cost, quicker than the Nexus 5 suits me well.

Intel i9-12900K
ASUS Prime Z690-A
Corsair 850W RM850x
Windows 11 Professional
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/18 15:48:57 (permalink)
Still loving my LG G3 but I did have an issue where it stuck in headphone mode. I unplugged the jack and the icon stayed and my phone rang. I had it hooked to a music system and the only way for me to talk to the person was to plug it back in and talk to the guy on speaker phone with super bass (because of the subs it was going to lol)
I tried all the remedies including cleaning the port, installing an app, uninstalling apps and the only fix was a factory reset. Seems like it is a known issue. Works fine again and I am really glad I got a phone with QHD resolution. At first I thought it was dumb and overkill but with Google cardboard, I can see tons of detail. The G4 looks good too but not much of a change and the leather cover looks dumb.
toyking22
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1169
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Looking for suggestions/thoughts on a new phone 2015/09/19 01:30:53 (permalink)
love my nexus 6, not one issue or complaint

Cpu= I7-9700k
Cpu cooler= Nzxt Kraken x62
GPU= Evga Hybrid 2080 ti
Motherboard= Asus Prime Z390 a (dont recommend)
Ram=G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
Ssd/Hdd Samsung 970 pro 2T / Intel 660 1t
Monitor= Gigabyte M28U 144Hz 28" 4K
Power Supply= EVGA SuperNOVA 850 PQ 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile