EVGA

EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion...

Author
sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2015/01/27 08:48:32 (permalink)
after going though so many troubles at the 900 series launch we ended up here at the step-up programm.
EVGA claims it should protect our investment so let's have a closer look at it.

as many of you I was more the disappointed about how EVGA handled the complains about the cards ending up in two "new" models the SSC and FTW+.
just after that the prices at EVGA EU shop went straight %15 up leading to a really ridiculous situation.
well to make it short I was and I am still unsure about what to do, I started and canceled the step-up two times.

now my lastly started step-up for the FTW+ came to step 3, wow, so I decided to check how EVGA is going to protect my investment.
I purchased the FTW back in 11/2014 with a backplate for 312,5€ (no shipping and local taxes included).
if I purchase the FTW+ right now it costs me 328.86€ (no shipping and local taxes included).

ok folks, now let's have a look at the email EVGA sent me for step3 of the step-up process. it says I'm supposed to pay a Step-Up Cost of 47.20 (no shipping and local taxes included). adding this cost the what I've already paid makes a total of 312,5€ + 47,20€359,70€ (still no shipping and local taxes included).

so EVGA, if I do what you expect me to do according to the step-up I would pay 359,70€ for the FTW+.
but the same FTW+ costs me 328.86€ if I just buy it without the step-up programm.

EVGA, can you explain me how you think you're protecting our investments?

as a customer "under investment protection" I expect to pay at least a bit less for a step-up product than the normal price.
but you charge me even %10 more than the normal price and call it "investment protection".
something's going ridiculously wrong here and I can't get rid of the bad taste in my mouth

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

9 Replies Related Threads

Brightmist
    • Total Posts : 44
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 09:04:15 (permalink)
    According to the RMA guy I talked to on the phone doing this price difference calculation @ EVGA EU today, they're just using non-VAT deducted numbers to calculate the amount to be paid.
    This basically means no "investment-protection" for Turkish customers that have benefitted from VAT-deducted prices especially considering extremely high shipping prices from Turkey to Germany which EVGA won't refund you for (this including for normal RMA).
    We cannot benefit from Advanced RMA services from Germany office either.
    You guys really need to add a sign to your website about this.
    All the services you're providing sure seems nice on paper, but they are just false ads for Turkish customers (or any other customer whose benefitting from VAT deducted prices) at this point.
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 09:17:27 (permalink)
    I'm sorry the step up program does not feel like it's protecting your investment. Stepping up is not always the best option in every situation, but does give you the option of getting a better card in some situations where you normally couldn't.

With any other manufacturer, if they come out with a better model within 90 days, your only options are to return the product to the retailer you purchased it from (usually with a restocking fee) if you are within their return period, sell the card on the secondary market for a loss, or keep the card and be out the whole cost. 

With the step up program, you pay the difference between your product and the new one, plus shipping. Most of the time, this cost is less than the restocking fee for your return and shipping on the new product, and in situations where returning your card for a refund is not an option, the savings can be quite a bit more. 

Stepping up may not always be the most economical option available though, so we encourage you to do the math and figure out what works best for your particular situation. Stepping up is an option you don't find with anyone else, and for a lot of people it works out as a much better deal and a lot less of a hassle than selling a product on the secondary market.

I hope this helps clarify the Step Up program's potential value.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Brightmist
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 09:27:29 (permalink)
    It's got nothing to do with feeling at this point, it's a mathematical fact.

(I do feel like hijacking the thread but still)
    I'd also like to give you another fact since I caught you here: I've been trying to RMA my 970FTW for 15 days now and I've been declined both RMA and Advanced RMA options internationally and couldn't get a replacement from my local distributor Vektron because they do not have it in stock. I've sold my old GPU trusting your company to have Advanced RMA options that was later declined so couldn't use my PC during this same time period.
    The card I bought, 970FTW, is TDP capped because the lack of proper power sockets on it eventhough it's supposed to be top of the 970 line and it's has architecturial issues (NVidia/VRAM allocation).
    So my question is:
    1- Do you guys plan on adding up a sign to your EU site stating that Turkish customers can not benefit from international RMA & Advanced RMA services ?
    2- Do you guys plan to start a refund or a partial refund program to all 970 users around because of NVidia's false advertising ?
    3- Do you guys plan to add a sign to your Step-up services stating that price difference between cards will be calculated using non-VAT deducted prices instead of VAT-deducted prices?
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 09:32:38 (permalink)
    just way too much confusion, irritation and misleading - this is not fun anymore.

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

maaakn
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 10:02:03 (permalink)
    Sell the card and buy the ftw+? 

EVGA TITAN X, 4790k, 32GB 2133mhz, EVGA 1000 G2, Enthoo Primo
    From Sweden!
    kdarkmoor
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 10:20:51 (permalink)
    If he is having so much trouble just trying to buy the card for a fair price, why would he buy the FTW+ after selling his card, and not go with a different brand, such as a G1? If EVGA is indeed being selective on step-ups, why stay with the brand at that point?

Asrock Z170 Extreme4 - I5-6600K - 16 gigs EVGA 2400 ram - EVGA 980 ACX 2.0 - Samsung Evo 850 M.2 250 GB SSD - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 - Corsair 200R Case - AOC U3477PQU 34" Ultra-wide monitor.
    MvdL79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 13:32:39 (permalink)
    sahafiec
    after going though so many troubles at the 900 series launch we ended up here at the step-up programm.
    EVGA claims it should protect our investment so let's have a closer look at it.

as many of you I was more the disappointed about how EVGA handled the complains about the cards ending up in two "new" models the SSC and FTW+.
    just after that the prices at EVGA EU shop went straight %15 up leading to a really ridiculous situation.
    well to make it short I was and I am still unsure about what to do, I started and canceled the step-up two times.

now my lastly started step-up for the FTW+ came to step 3, wow, so I decided to check how EVGA is going to protect my investment.
    I purchased the FTW back in 11/2014 with a backplate for 312,5€ (no shipping and local taxes included).
    if I purchase the FTW+ right now it costs me 328.86€ (no shipping and local taxes included).

ok folks, now let's have a look at the email EVGA sent me for step3 of the step-up process. it says I'm supposed to pay a Step-Up Cost of 47.20 (no shipping and local taxes included). adding this cost the what I've already paid makes a total of 312,5€ + 47,20€359,70€ (still no shipping and local taxes included).

so EVGA, if I do what you expect me to do according to the step-up I would pay 359,70€ for the FTW+.
    but the same FTW+ costs me 328.86€ if I just buy it without the step-up programm.

EVGA, can you explain me how you think you're protecting our investments?

as a customer "under investment protection" I expect to pay at least a bit less for a step-up product than the normal price.
    but you charge me even %10 more than the normal price and call it "investment protection".
    something's going ridiculously wrong here and I can't get rid of the bad taste in my mouth

Amen to that. :)

They should call it 'step-down', instead of 'step-up' (or just call it 'money-down-the-drain')...
    EVGA is and always has been a pro-American based brand. We always get the cards late, Americans go first then the rest of the world + Europe. It sucks.

I never, ever used the 'step-up' program... Why? Because I rather sell my cards to some poor fool who actually thinks EVGA is the best there is. After that I can buy a new card or two and at a lesser loss than when I would have used the 'step-up' program. Maybe it's good for Americans, butI never thought much of it actually. It has always been to expensive for me in comparism to selling a card. Also another advantage, when you sell the card, is that you don't have to wait in line... I have noticed comments about being number XX in line. I don't have the patience for that, especially when I am paying top Dollar...ehr...Euro for it.

Anyways given how EVGA has handled several things badly lately for me and seeing the FTW+ will be another way to earn quick cash for EVGA (bad ASIC quality based cards everywhere), I doubt I will be heading back to EVGA anytime soon.

<off-topic>
    Did you know EVGA is planning to release FTW++ in March already?
    I posted the information here. ;)
    </off-topic>
    jeffmd
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 15:47:36 (permalink)
    Your entire complaint is over your local currency conversion rates. 
    vulcZ
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re: EVGA FTW+ step-up and the "investment protection" illusion... 2015/01/27 20:12:59 (permalink)
    Oh look, one of these threads again.

Heatwarehttp://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=6179
    Ryzen 9 5950X|| Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming || EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N || 32GB G Skill 3600 (B-die)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile