EVGA

What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
Author
Mikael_Wartooth
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/01/26 00:47:42 (permalink)
Curious as to what EVGA will do now that this is a known issue. I have a 970 SC ACX and I am currently building a X99 system and was going to buy a second one, but now I am re-thinking that. Since I already have had the first 970 since September I feel as if I'm screwed out a card now if I wanted to go SLI 980's. 

post edited by Mikael_Wartooth - 2015/01/26 01:01:46

Follow me on Twitter: @ANN1H1L1ST

372 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 00:59:58 (permalink)
    First, the issue you are talking is..........

What would a 970 specifically have to do with you wanting to go to SLI 980 setup?

Your question is way too vague for any answer.
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 01:05:48 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    First, the issue you are talking is..........

What would a 970 specifically have to do with you wanting to go to SLI 980 setup?

Your question is way too vague for any answer.

Because obviously the 970's are having issues utilizing the full 4GB of VRAM. I bought a card that was advertised as something it's not. If this was known from the start I would have just went with the 980 in the first place, but I bought a 970 knowing I was going to purchase a second one to SLI once my X99 build was done. My question is will EVGA refund the card since it had a design flaw if there are people that want to go to the 980? 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 01:13:36 (permalink)
    that is an NVidia thing, not an EVGA thing.  I am sure EVGA will take care of their customers IF NVidia decides to back them, but if the card is functioning as designed, IE: you didn't know there was an issue for 4 months until someone else pointed it out, then there still isn't an issue.  They will not refund the card 4 months later, since it is functioning as the parent company designed, according to NVidia.

Do I think it is correct for them to do that, NO. It still isn't EVGA that caused the problem.  

There are 3 threads going on this currently, and plenty of people have asked the question.  Think of it like this, if you decide to get a lawyer and file suit against EVGA you are going to tank.  If you file suit against NVidia, you have a leg to stand on. I think you are looking in the wrong area unfortunately.

oh yeah... Because obviously, there was an "issue" with original 970 FTW model, or there wouldn't have been updated versions released, so think before you assume.  Posting what you are talking about avoids someone assuming you are talking about something else.  Don't forget the obvious coil whine issues across the 970 as well. 
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 01:27:48 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    that is an NVidia thing, not an EVGA thing.  I am sure EVGA will take care of their customers IF NVidia decides to back them, but if the card is functioning as designed, IE: you didn't know there was an issue for 4 months until someone else pointed it out, then there still isn't an issue.  They will not refund the card 4 months later, since it is functioning as the parent company designed, according to NVidia.

Do I think it is correct for them to do that, NO. It still isn't EVGA that caused the problem.  

There are 3 threads going on this currently, and plenty of people have asked the question.  Think of it like this, if you decide to get a lawyer and file suit against EVGA you are going to tank.  If you file suit against NVidia, you have a leg to stand on. I think you are looking in the wrong area unfortunately.

oh yeah... Because obviously, there was an "issue" with original 970 FTW model, or there wouldn't have been updated versions released, so think before you assume.  Posting what you are talking about avoids someone assuming you are talking about something else.  Don't forget the obvious coil whine issues across the 970 as well. 

I have ZERO issues with EVGA and I know it is not their problem, but I only buy EVGA products when it comes to graphics cards and since I am building a X99 system that means I will be stepping up to higher resolution monitors as well and if the 970 can't utilize the full 4GB of VRAM like it was advertised then NVIDA needs to do something. EVGA has always been good to me and I have had three of their cards already. Advertising a 4GB card that only has 3.1GB of Dedicated Vram is misleading and I'm sure people would have went with another card if they were given the correct info to make an informed decision. 

Here is a test I ran tonight:

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:02:00 (permalink)
    It is shown that it is 3.5gb of vram, so this may be a misreading. Have you monitored your gpu usage in gpuz while running very intense rendering benches, like Firestrike ultra? It destroys my 780tis due to the 3gb of vram.

There is a video, and forgive me for not having it right now but another forum user just posted it. It shows the 970 utilize all 4 GB of vram in a spike but quickly settles for 3.5 steady. The user even shows that they should have stated it was 3.5gb with a .5gb buffer area.

I really hope nvidia does something, even giving free games that are brand new, to compensate, but I don't see individual retailers taking a huge hit where they couldn't have known right away that nvidia did that.

Of course, the engineers should have noticed, but I don't think they could have foreseen the issues that are suddenly being brought to light almost 6 months later.
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:10:23 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    It is shown that it is 3.5gb of vram, so this may be a misreading. Have you monitored your gpu usage in gpuz while running very intense rendering benches, like Firestrike ultra? It destroys my 780tis due to the 3gb of vram.

There is a video, and forgive me for not having it right now but another forum user just posted it. It shows the 970 utilize all 4 GB of vram in a spike but quickly settles for 3.5 steady. The user even shows that they should have stated it was 3.5gb with a .5gb buffer area.

I really hope nvidia does something, even giving free games that are brand new, to compensate, but I don't see individual retailers taking a huge hit where they couldn't have known right away that nvidia did that.

Of course, the engineers should have noticed, but I don't think they could have foreseen the issues that are suddenly being brought to light almost 6 months later.

I guess my issue is if I would have known this when the 900 series cards came out I would have just bought the 980 at the time. Now I spent 350 on a card that possibly can't run what I intended on running in the future. The 970 w/ SLI seemed like the best band for your buck at the time and that's why I went with it knowing I was going to SLI when I built my X99 system, but if it has severe issues when getting over 3.5GB of VRAM then I feel like I wasted my money when i could have spent a little extra and got a card that doesn't have the same problems. Now I'm stuck with a card that may not perform the way I thought it would and the way it was advertised. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:17:39 (permalink)
    I figure the answer is yes, but are you past your 90 step up window?

It is 90 days from the day you purchased the card. I think all of September is out of the window by now, sadly.
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:20:49 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I figure the answer is yes, but are you past your 90 step up window?

It is 90 days from the day you purchased the card. I think all of September is out of the window by now, sadly.

Yep. DEC 19th was the last day I could have done the step up program. 

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:23:56 (permalink)
    If people want to inform about problem with 970 VRAM I think should request fix from NVIDIA, topic is and on their forum, 100 pages.
    It's not only EVGA problem. All manufacturers are in problems and lose money and not because their fault.
    If something can be done EVGA customers will not pass worse than other brands, only better if chance for step-up persist.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:31:17 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be upset if nvidia made a true fix, and compensated the daughter companies to invite the fix.
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 02:41:32 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    If people want to inform about problem with 970 VRAM I think should request fix from NVIDIA, topic is and on their forum, 100 pages.
    It's not only EVGA problem. All manufacturers are in problems and lose money and not because their fault.
    If something can be done EVGA customers will not pass worse than other brands, only better if chance for step-up persist.

If EVGA let me step up to a 980 I would send my 970 back in a heartbeat and I would also buy a second 980 this week when I purchase the last of my parts for my X99 build. If this issue was known before the deadline for my step up I would have sent it back already. 

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 318
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 07:54:10 (permalink)
    I have had unity maxed out and it went over 3500 if i remember right max was around 3800 and i also got a warning from windows 7 to turn off aero.... 

Per Nvidia non issue....

"NVIDIA has finally responded to the widespread online complaints about GeForce GTX 970 cards only utilizing 3.5GB of their 4GB frame buffer. From the horse's mouth:
    The GeForce GTX 970 is equipped with 4GB of dedicated graphics memory.  However the 970 has a different configuration of SMs than the 980, and fewer crossbar resources to the memory system. To optimally manage memory traffic in this configuration, we segment graphics memory into a 3.5GB section and a 0.5GB section.  The GPU has higher priority access to the 3.5GB section.  When a game needs less than 3.5GB of video memory per draw command then it will only access the first partition, and 3rd party applications that measure memory usage will report 3.5GB of memory in use on GTX 970, but may report more for GTX 980 if there is more memory used by other commands.  When a game requires more than 3.5GB of memory then we use both segments.

We understand there have been some questions about how the GTX 970 will perform when it accesses the 0.5GB memory segment.  The best way to test that is to look at game performance.  Compare a GTX 980 to a 970 on a game that uses less than 3.5GB.  Then turn up the settings so the game needs more than 3.5GB and compare 980 and 970 performance again."

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 11:41:08 (permalink)
    Almost sounds like back in the day when Windows XP *32Bit/x86 OS a computer with 4GB of memory the OS could only use 3.5GB of memory of it.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

JFoul
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 11:44:45 (permalink)
    Looks like Nvidia accidentally gave out the wrong specs also. Pulled from the Anandtech article.

Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 11:47:29 (permalink)
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Scarlet-Tech

I have ZERO issues with EVGA and I know it is not their problem, but I only buy EVGA products when it comes to graphics cards and since I am building a X99 system that means I will be stepping up to higher resolution monitors as well and if the 970 can't utilize the full 4GB of VRAM like it was advertised then NVIDA needs to do something. EVGA has always been good to me and I have had three of their cards already. Advertising a 4GB card that only has 3.1GB of Dedicated Vram is misleading and I'm sure people would have went with another card if they were given the correct info to make an informed decision. 

Here is a test I ran tonight:

Some of the games on canyourunit give some interesting things back. Take Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for instance. It DOES say its 4GB VRam and for my i5 4690K came up with You Have: 3.5 GHz Performance Rated at: 8.05 GHz

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 13:17:14 (permalink)
    JFoul
    Looks like Nvidia accidentally gave out the wrong specs also. Pulled from the Anandtech article.

Yep same thing in the Toms Hardware review in Sept http://www.tomshardware.c...-970-maxwell,3941.htmlHERE

jmike00
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 14:45:47 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    IE: you didn't know there was an issue for 4 months until someone else pointed it out, then there still isn't an issue.

I'm going to disagree with this statement to an extent and I know you didn't come out and say "No one noticed the issue until the benchmark", but many people have been taking an attitude of "Nothing was wrong until the benchmark came out". Sure though there are plenty of people who have 0 issue with performance just jumping on the bandwagon because they are a 970 owner. There also have been a number of threads on the geforce forums discussing the stutter/fps drops with 970s all the way back around Halloween when I first started reading about the 970s with intent to purchase. Since there was the voltage drop issue some speculated that could be a culprit in SLI setups. Also the issue doesn't really show up in 1080(possibly 1440 as well) so you have smaller number of people reporting the problem. So the issue existed but it's only now that we know what is causing it.

As an example, I get it in Unity, FC4 and Dragon Age at 4k. The stutter is more noticeable in DA:I but it only occurs during cutscenes. It's subtle and fluctuates it's frequency greatly in FC4 and Unity. There are plenty of other games that run fine in 4k and with Ubisoft taking a lot of flack for terrible PC ports and with PC DA:I having so many graphical issues at launch it was easy to dismiss the stutter as a developer issue and not a hardware issue. Then after this benchmark came out it made me take a second look at what was going on during the fps drops and sure enough once any of those 3 games start using around 3.4GB VRAM the issue starts. As a comparison running those same games in 1080 they never go much above 2GB and run flawlessly. So like I said the problem existed but I needed someone else to point out the cause for me to reexamine what I originally dismissed as bad game coding.
    rafter1974
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 304
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 18:37:33 (permalink)
    Personally, I think anyone who bought an EVGA 970 should be allowed to Step Up to a 980, regardless of how long they've had their card, which at the longest is only like 4 months anyway. The card that was sold and the card that we purchased aren't the same things and even if it's Nvidia's fault I didn't buy my card from Nvidia. It's not a handout, we'd still have to pay the difference for the better card, and it's certainly better than people getting refunds for being flat out lied to about the specs of the card.
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 18:42:10 (permalink)
    rafter1974
    Personally, I think anyone who bought an EVGA 970 should be allowed to Step Up to a 980, regardless of how long they've had their card, which at the longest is only like 4 months anyway. The card that was sold and the card that we purchased aren't the same things and even if it's Nvidia's fault I didn't buy my card from Nvidia. It's not a handout, we'd still have to pay the difference for the better card, and it's certainly better than people getting refunds for being flat out lied to about the specs of the card.

Yep. I'm already working with EVGA on the issue. Been exchanging Emails back and fourth all day. They are very aware of the issue and are willing to work with people it seems. 

faustfict
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 18:52:07 (permalink)
    rafter1974

It would be nice of EVGA to allow people to step up to the 980 due to this but it's not that big of a deal, you guys been using those 970s and bragging about the price/performance ratio for months while being ignorant to the fact. It's not even EVGA's issue second, it's Nvidia, they list the specs and the board partners only list what Nvidia provides them. 970 owners got a card that performs better than a 780, has more VRAM and cost half of what that card originally launched at. I'm not defending either EVGA or Nvidia, but looking at it in an unbiased perspective. The bus speed is split between 3.5GB and .5GB, it equals 224GB/S and gives you have access to 4GB vram. Maybe they should have announced its memory architecture before launch but truthfully, all that would do is confuse people. Either way, 970 owners got a nice card for a good price.

Pentium III @ 933MHZ, 256mb Ram, 30GB HD, eVGA 680 4GB FTW SLI.
    TChittenden II
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 19:19:32 (permalink)
    The answer as to what they will do about this is probably going to be "nothing"

The cards work the way they were designed, a synthetic benchmark showing "poor bandwidth" does not equal poor gaming performance. There is a reason it took 6 months to find this issue, it's not very noticable. If anyone wants to understand WHY it's not a huge deal here is a great write up about what everything actually means at a technical level. I actually find it fascinating that they are able to do stuff like this where you have a full 4GB available to the card instead of it having to be cut down to a 3.5GB or 3GB card. Personally, I'm planning on following through with my step-ups from a pair of 970 SC to 970 FTW+ 

http://www.pcper.com/revi...nd-Limitations-GTX-970

==My System==
    Case: Corsair CC800DW 
    CPU: Intel Core I7-3930k @ 3.8GHz
    Motherboard: EVGA X79 FTW
    Graphics Card: 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 in SLI 
    Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866 9-10-9-27 
    Boot Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB SSD
    Games Drive: 2 x 450GB SATAIII 10k RPM Velociraptor in RAID 0 
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series RM-1000 

Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 19:47:11 (permalink)
    I haven't ran into issues with my 970 at all on this front... most taxing game I have is TitanFall so cant really say.. at least its the only one that pushes my Memory to 3.6GB and I don't experience slow downs or anything..

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    Mikael_Wartooth
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 20:33:25 (permalink)
    TChittenden II
    The answer as to what they will do about this is probably going to be "nothing"

The cards work the way they were designed, a synthetic benchmark showing "poor bandwidth" does not equal poor gaming performance. There is a reason it took 6 months to find this issue, it's not very noticable. If anyone wants to understand WHY it's not a huge deal here is a great write up about what everything actually means at a technical level. I actually find it fascinating that they are able to do stuff like this where you have a full 4GB available to the card instead of it having to be cut down to a 3.5GB or 3GB card. Personally, I'm planning on following through with my step-ups from a pair of 970 SC to 970 FTW+ 

http://www.pcper.com/revi...nd-Limitations-GTX-970

EVGA is allowing me to Step Up outside of my promotional period. There is a reason I only buy EVGA. Customer service is top notch. 

the_real_maverick
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1773
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 20:49:05 (permalink)
    To the original post, EVGA "will" and "is justified" in doing nothing unless Nvidia takes responsibility for the lack of documentation and transparency.  Regardless, I am interested to see what happens.....will be a good case study for school

Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz/ EVGA 980TI Classified / 16GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 / Gigabyte G1 gaming mobo / Western Digital Black 1 TB HDD/ Mushkin 1TB SSD / Corsair 750W PSU / 27" Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440 G-sync 165hz / Razer Deathadder / Logitech G810 Spectrum / Windows 10 64bit / K70 RGB

http://www.heatware.com/u/70338
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 21:40:37 (permalink)
    Mikael_Wartooth
    EVGA is allowing me to Step Up outside of my promotional period. There is a reason I only buy EVGA. Customer service is top notch. 

That is awesome news! I fear they are getting ready to get flooded with phone calls from every single user that has a 970 now.

the_real_maverick
    To the original post, EVGA "will" and "is justified" in doing nothing unless Nvidia takes responsibility for the lack of documentation and transparency.  Regardless, I am interested to see what happens.....will be a good case study for school

One post above yours.. Read that.. :-) EVGA... FTW?
    Kully
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 22:09:55 (permalink)
    I'm thinking about stepping up or just returning my FTW+ (it hasn't even arrived yet). I'm not too fond of Nvidia providing the wrong specs to reviewers. All depends on newegg.ca's response to my inquiry, and if I am willing to wait a couple of months without playing any games due to a lack of a video card.

The 970 FTW+ is still a massive upgrade from my old busted evga 580 GTX that I never RMA'd, I just feel a bit deceived. I'm the type of person to not upgrade a card for years (bought the GTX 580 in 2011), so the news kinda hurts the future prospects of these cards.
    post edited by Kully - 2015/01/26 22:22:04
    shaneduce
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2017
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 22:23:50 (permalink)
    Evga570
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 482
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/26 22:44:30 (permalink)
    Them lawyers will love nVidia when they find out about this. They probably already started the lawsuit. It's not that anything wrong with 970 card. The fact that nVidia lied about the specs.

Bright0001
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/27 02:44:57 (permalink)
    Mikael_WartoothEVGA is allowing me to Step Up outside of my promotional period. There is a reason I only buy EVGA. Customer service is top notch. 

By paying the difference or how? 

It's a hard topic, nobody knows who is responsible for this, respectively, who has to take responsibility. NV, EVGA or the reseller? And then we have all the different laws in all the countries, so it will be very interesting how the story will end. 
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile