EVGA

X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues??

Author
Switnick
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/19 22:35:18 (permalink)
Another, 'been running my X58 for ages, time to update..' builds coming on here.

Current plan is for the X99 Classi (not that I'm in a rut) with a 5820k perched on it with either 16 or 32 of Crucial or GSkillz with it.
Case will be mid or small full tower, it'll probably get a single spinning disc (maybe external), an optical drive and one of the Plextor 1T Pro SSD drives.  Other than that it'll get a single GTX 970 FTW+ and not much else in the box.

Speaking of cases, the Fractal Design R5 caught my eye with Hardware Canuk's review (last years?) with the bottom screen filter.  That *is* kind of important as the mudball... err .. wonder puppy that is my dog remains stalwart in his efforts to bring the outdoors inside.  Drives me nuts somedays but..

Cooling is on my mind.  I'm liking the db and cooling (for air cooled) of the .  The other side of that coin is going with the closed coolers like the NAXT Kraken X60 (or X61?) or CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i seems to gain on the cooling with some payment in greater decibel levels.  I'm not planning on putting cooling on the GTX anytime soon, maybe after the warranty period is over.  

If I'm really lucky again, it'll be another five years before I have to do much to this one.

Thoughts on cases, cooling pros and cons would be appreciated, especially weight limitations for CPU coolers on the EVGA X50 series MBs.  (I didn't find a mention in the X99 manual in the CPU/CPU Cooler section of weight limits.)

TIA,

Nick

01/15/2022
MB  EVGA X570 FTW WIFI, 121-VR-A577-KR
CPU Ryzen 5700
Graphics  Sapphire Nitro 6800x 
HDD  2x Samsung 980 Pro 2T
Mem  32G T-force 3600
Case Fractal Torrent  (air cool currently)

02/14/15
MB 131-HE-E995-KR X99 Micro
Graphics 04G-P4-3978-KR EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
CPU  I7 5820K 3.3           RAM 4x8G GSkill F4-2400C15Q-32GRK
Case Fractal Design R5     SSD Plextor PX-1TM6Pro RT
HDD HGST 0S03664        DVD RW Asus 24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Cooling Corsair H110i 280mm (top mount)  Power Corsair AX860i

[si

17 Replies Related Threads

seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/20 01:52:46 (permalink)
    To he honest due to how hot these cpu get, i recommend a water cooler. This also lets you run ram without clearance issues. The x99 is pretty sturdy on weight limits because the mounting area is built into the board. Unlike the z series where you need a backplate and sandwich it together.

You may want to look at evag water cooled closed loop 980 that is coming out if you want warranty and water cooling.

http://techwaynews.com/20...-water-cooling-teased/

Cases are purely seof choice. I know somr loved their 900d. I hated it. Felt like so much wasted space because of the dumb 5.25 bays. To each their own.
    djcypher1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/20 03:06:53 (permalink)
    Personally, I'm using the H105.  I'm not entirely sure how much better it is than an exceptional air cooler since I've never had anything else on this chip.  That being said, the ease of installation and clean look inside the case are both pluses for me over air cooling.  The performance of it is no where near a custom loop, but unless you're planning on trying to OC very high, I don't think you'll have any issues.  It all but eliminates clearance issues in your case unlike a huge heatsink.   Just make sure the case you choose can handle a 240 radiator.

I find that the included fans with the Corsair AIO's are indeed loud.  I'm going to switch them out for some Noctua fans here shortly.  I keep my case on the floor next to my desk so it's not intolerable.  If the case were sitting on my desk it would be another story.  Keep in mind that the fan noise only becomes an issue when spinning at higher rpms.  At 50% speeds and below they are not an issue at all.

Case-wise I'm running a HAF 932.  This is a carryover from my X58 system.  The case has worked well for me on both builds and offers really good air circulation and room inside to fit later upgrades.  You did mention dust filters, so I'll warn you that the HAF has none.  They do sell kits for them online though.

System Specs:
    Metal box with an X99 system, a bunch of EVGA parts, and some wires inside of it.

Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/25 19:34:42 (permalink)
    I've pretty much ruled out air-cooled at this point.  At stock clocks they do as well at cooling and decibel levels, but also seem to be at or near the limit of their cooling.  Additionally, memory clearances and weight of some of those monsters points me to the watercoolers.

One I'd be willing to try, announced last month yet unavailable in the States, is the Fractal-design S24.  Functionally they seem to do well in reviews, are all copper radiators and have a standard plug for expansion.  Sadly, I've found nothing on availability dates for purchase.

If nothing comes up on that one soon, I'll probably go with either the Thermaltake 3.0, Corsair 110 (if it'll fit?) or the Corsair Hydro H100i  ... but I find myself dithering back and forth on those.  I suppose I should make up my mind soon, other components are due to arrive yet this week!

:)

Thanks for the notes!
    Nick

post edited by Switnick - 2015/01/25 19:46:57

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/25 19:41:00 (permalink)
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14 memory kit for DDR4 Systems (CMK32GX4M4A2400C14) Works Great @ 2400MHz and the CPU @ 4500MHz, this is low profile memory.
    Also take a look at this case for $199
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Gigantic Tower Case Fits HPTX Motherboard, Large Water Cooler Ready, with 8 Fan Controllers, Air Chimney - Black WOW! Now 292.45 Prime, I got mine just in time.
    Sound Padding in this bad boy.

Watch the Video.

My mods to this case, more photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48137161@N00/sets/72157650071221240/

I removed the 10 Drive Bay unit for a Radiator in Push/Pull
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/01/25 20:09:49

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/25 19:53:13 (permalink)
    BC,
        I was back and forth enough on the memory, I had to go back and check the invoice to see what I did order.  The fangy looking GSkillz MEM 4X8G|GSKILL F4-2400C15Q-32, but at least it is black.  

Sitting under the desk with no window, the lights and colors thing is a little wasted on me.  :)

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/25 20:04:36 (permalink)
    Switnick
    BC,
        I was back and forth enough on the memory, I had to go back and check the invoice to see what I did order.  The fangy looking GSkillz MEM 4X8G|GSKILL F4-2400C15Q-32, but at least it is black.  

Sitting under the desk with no window, the lights and colors thing is a little wasted on me.  :)

Is it low profile memory?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/25 22:19:11 (permalink)
    I would have went with a Enthoo Primo for that price range if you're sticking with custom H20.  I guess if its a mod project you just wanted to do I can see why than.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/30 21:45:32 (permalink)
    Ung...
    ... Gah..
    ... ... .. Arghhh...

Okay, this could be going just a little smoother, however, before I dive off into the angst of my 'progress', I'll play a little catch up on BC's and Jack's comments 'n questions.  Not that either are not germane.  Come to think of it, it'll be a nice segue. 

BC, no, the Gskillz is not low profile.  They are, however, *almost* low enough to allow a top mount for the Corsair H110.  But only *almost*, as in, "No, that will not work.", kind of *almost*.  (I could learn to hate that word.)

Jack, that Entho is pretty neat looking.  Pretty huge.  Pretty heavy.  Neat.  Plenty roomy.  But it lacks a coffee maker.. and for $479 (Newegg) it had better!  :)  In comparison, the Define R5 was right at $150 including the WA state tax from the shop just down the road.  But, the Entho's size does have a benefit.. as in the tale following.

So, the final build parts list, carefully selected to mate, match, compliment and gain from the reading of others experiences.  Maybe, just maybe, a bit more MUTUALLY compatible would have been a better target.  There's a LOT of *almost* to follow.  The choices and some rationale on the choices follow.

PSU:  I went with a Corsair 860i.  It's quiet up to the middle of its load range, per reviews at least, and is hitting its peak efficiency in that realm.  My 'as built' load put me comfortably under 400 (~370 by memory) so there's some headroom for clocking this thing a bit and some expansion.  This puts me in a comfy spot.  The length, its a little more than I'd like, as the Define R5 will take a 280 length radiator if the length of the PSU is around 170mm.  This thing is 185-ish.

Cooler:  The 280 radiator of the H110 was a draw for me, a lot of cooling potential with big (140mm) quiet fans which *should* be just turning easy, if at all, for most of my uses.  
         Okay, so doing fit checks I find that with the PSU sitting in place, there just isn't room on the bottom of the case for the H110 radiator, much less any spare room for any PSU cables to actually plug into said PSU.  For the H110, the base location is a bust anyway as the hoses are way to short to get the pump on the CPU.  
        Moving on to the top location, there is good room for the width of the radiator and length is okay with the back fan removed and the Optical disk drive bay left in place.  However, as noted to BC above, the top of the heat spreader on the Gskillz keeps the radiator mounting holes from lining up.  It needs another millimeter (that isn't there) to clear.  Hose reach is good.  Really though, having the radiator top mounted wasn't my favorite choice mostly because the removed vent covers would be letting noise out and dust in.  Please note that there's a long haired mud magnet of a canine nature that donates dust and doghair in an impressive manner.
         That left the front.  Understand, the Define R5 has a very nice screened front covering a fan bay that takes a pair of 140 mm fans nestled snugly together.  The formed inner face of this bay is threaded at the four corners of the fans to allow long screws (supplied) to pass through the front mounted fan and thread into the inner surface of the fan bay.  Slots in that inner bay surface complete the options list for radiator and/or fan mounting.  The H110 has threaded holes on each face of the radiator to allow a screw to be threaded in.  There is no provision to allow a screw to pass through a gap in the radiator fins.  
          Installation, on the front is currently some motherboard screws (gots to have a stash) threaded thru the threaded fan bay holes and engaging the threaded radiator holes on one four-hole pattern and two more screws through slots in the fan bay base, the remaining two holes on the radiator unused.  Remember the nice arrangement of the 'snugly fitted 140mm fans in the case fan bay?  The H110 mounting leaves something like 4 - 5 mm space between the two fans.  The case and the radiator holes do not line up.  The only option left would be to drill the threads out of the upper four holes to allow the radiator mounting screws to pull up only on the threaded holes in the radiator.  If I was to continue with this case, that would be my next step.

So, the radiator has finally found a home, of sorts, on the front of the case, hoses toward the top of the case which seems should allow the pump to mount on the CPU.  Both HDD bay caddies are removed.. and really, it'll be crowding the PSU cabling to mount one of the bays on the bottom of the case between the radiator and the PSU... using the stock mounting slots at least.

With the fit checks done on the H110, I started to install cables.  As mentioned in a couple of case reviews, the 8-pin CPU cables do not quite go through the grommeted slots at the top of the motherboard tray.  The Corsair cable ends do unclip to allow you to pass two thinner halves through to be reassembled.. pretty easily.  This is not a show stopper, nor is it really that much of a delay.

I started to run into little access issues as I cabled up the X99.  The 24 pin, I had to come in from behind the optical bay for a shot at the motherboard.  I couldn't come through the intended motherboad tray grommet as it was way too close to the 24-pin motherboard connector to come through, turn and connect.

Things did muddle along 'okay' until I came to the USB 3.0.  On the X99 this is at the bottom edge of the board and faces the bottom of the case, unlike the USB 2.0 pointing away from the motherboard sitting just left of the 3.0.  In the Define R5, the motherboard tray slopes up from under the motherboard and.... and does not let the 3.0 cable end line up.  Alignment of the cable end and the motherboard connector is no better than 20 or 30 degrees out of alignment, it just won't go... well, as long as you don't want to pry chunks off the motherboard.  (Nor do I use hammers when connecting puter stuff...)

As you might guess, I said, "Darn."
        Digging back through manuals and specs I found the curse of inattention, or perhaps the curse of target fixation on cooler fitment, at best??  
        The X99 Classified, is eATX, the Define R5 is ATX or mATX.  It is nearly eATX... *almost*.

So, the options.  Off to the store tomorrow to see what case I can dredge up, call up Newegg and see about an exchange for a different MB.  Tending toward the case option at the moment, but for now, I'm a gonna go see about an adult beverage..

Mind the small print kids.  
        ... and the not-so-small print too.

Nick

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 04:01:52 (permalink)
    As far as the Phantek's case, its usually around $230ish.  They are selling so quick it looks like the egg isn't the one selling it for that inflated price but the 2 other sellers that are till the egg gets more back in stock.  Even Amazon has the price hiked about $100 more.  If you're looking for a big case, have a look at the 900D.  I own one and its a beast.  More than enough room for anything.  

If you're into the MATX cases, well I don't have too much experience in those but the Fractals are great cases for those kind of projects.  Just make sure you have the right components.  Saves you tons of headaches and time.  ;)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 11:46:51 (permalink)
    So far this morning I've been looking at alternatives, mostly in the realm of cases.  Fractal's R2XL will take the eATX but the front hinged door is on the wrong side, which is compounded by the office set up.  I'm really not wanting to reconfigure the room for a computer case door.  (One thing I like about the R5, the door is quite readily reversible.)  

Quiet, cool, dust control are all concerns and about of equal consideration for me.

So, the other alternative is to put a smaller board in there.  Staying with the EVGA, that would be the X99 Micro.  At a glance, it drops memory slots to 4, a single LAN, none of the M2 slots, changes to the Realtek sound, no BIOS switching option, generally trimmed down.

Is it trimmed down 'too far' or is this going to be enough MB to take a little OC and what else I thro at it??

*back to the headache..*

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 15:15:30 (permalink)
    Hmm.  Things aren't quite so glum.
    1)  Talked to the board retailer and have had cheery news, I can RMA for a refund after shamelessly grovelling and making whimpering noises to the wonderful lass on the Customer Service Line.  So I have that avenue available.

2)  Case swap, might be possible but .. that will have to await Monday to determine.

And while thinking about it, I got out the flashlight for another look.  The board is secure on the standoffs and the front edge is near the case's motherboard pan edge, just touching the soft wiring grommets.. no pressure though.  Hmmm.   The lower edge of the motherboard pan does have some clearance, just not enough for the thickness of the the boot on the cable, buuttttt... a short, angled cable end might just make it.

A search doesn't turn up many options, but it does turn up:
    http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%252dPin-Internal-Header-Adapter-Cable-%28Low-Profile-Connector%29.html
    That 7mm height (.28 inches roughly) would be about half consumed in the connector... so.. maybe it will work.  I guess I'll find out when it gets here.  So a third option comes to light.
    3)  Short clearance angled extension cable.

And if push comes to shove, there's nothing foreign or that says more basic methods of clearance are out of scope. http://www.dremel.com/en-...gories.aspx?catid=2058
    4)  Create clearance per desire.  (Feel a little bad about chopping on a brand new box.. but.)

I'll see about a pic as things develop.

Nick

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    Pekish79
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 16:53:18 (permalink)
    I have the X99 micro EVGA and there is a m.2 on it not sure what you mean with "none of the M2 slots"

not really sure what job you do but for a working computer i doubt you will ever need to switch bios (honestly i don't need to switch bios at home either i OC stable and then keep it like that)

4 slot memory allow you 32gb (like in my setup) i know of few application that really need more memory then that

as on board sound is enough unless you are a pro in that case you will need a sound card anyway i am using a Asus Xonar STX (i made a post on how to make it work on X99 since is kind of buggy)

the only real grip is the single LAN that is definitely a shortcoming  

OC wise my X99 micro keep an easy 4.3mhz on i7-5960X @ 1.27V (daily use)
    i pushed it at 4.5mhz but i had to raise the volt at 1.35 (and it's not really worth for daily use)

obviously is water cooled i think in a micro ATX case is the best choice due to space limitation

post edited by Pekish79 - 2015/01/31 17:00:51
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 18:00:47 (permalink)
    Pekish,
       I had to go double check, but yup, you are right.  There is an M.2 slot... socket ... thingy right there between the PCIE slots. http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=131-HE-E995-KR   Of course, the Classified has two.

Interestingly enough, the mX99 has the connector for the USB 3.0 looking straight up from the MB surface.  How wonderful it would have been to make the one on the Classi the same way!  That and the 6 pin PCIE in the lower left corner on the Classi.  

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    Pekish79
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/01/31 18:55:57 (permalink)
    yep i am not a fan of big case i always had Micro ATX and at same time i use it for rendering purpose mostly while still being capable of playing so i really never cared about SLI
    i got myself a titan 6gb that is best for rendering iray or RT-vray and that's all i need

i just like small format pc

but definitely is better going water for the CPU in a m-atx while the gpu i left it @ air
    Andrey_T
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/02/06 08:10:09 (permalink)
    I see that the clearance between the CPU socket and the upper PCIe slot is the same on all EVGA X99 boards. This means that if you are planning to have a video card in the upper PCIe slot, it will not clear a CPU heatsink wider than about 125mm, as long as you want to use the recommended cooler orientation with heatsink width spanning across the case. The heatsink can be rotated 90 deg to span along the case, but it might reduce cooling efficiency (since the CPU fan will face a case side panel).

Water cooling is of course better for clearance reasons and it is probably the way to go with heavy overclocking. But if you are building an "always on" kind of system with noise restrictions and no overclocking (or only mild overclocking), an air cooler might prove to be a better option. Actually, the best air cooling setup might be the one with a tower cooler installed along the case and drawing cool air through an inlet in the case side panel.
    post edited by Andrey_T - 2015/02/07 00:52:16
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/02/08 04:06:09 (permalink)
    Waiting (and watching the UPS tracker) for the delivery of the X99 back to Newegg, it looks like they'll have it Monday.  Then, another few days to process and *then* order up the mX99.  

I love waiting.. :)

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    Switnick
    Re: X99 Classified, CPU air cooler, max weight and DIMM clearance issues?? 2015/02/14 12:48:05 (permalink)
    Well, as of the moment my fingers are touching these keys, IT LIVES!  

I have yet the fun of running down drivers, DirectX installs, updates and so forth, but just wanted to touch the high points, and a couple of things to avoid, possibly need to go readdress.

Minor point, unless you are trying to get it in the case, the X99 Classy just almost fits the Fractal R5.  Either a little more case width/depth in the motherboard pan of the R5 or just a bit more wee size on the X99 Classy would do.  Pretty much.  

Bit of a grumble here.  On the Classy, as commented by others, the USB 3.0 connector on the MB is pointing down.  In the R5 this was 1/2 the show stopper as it and the connector for the PCIE power (bottom left) both pointed straight at sheet metal, no room for Mr. Plug.

On the X99 Micro that same USB 3.0 points straight up from the motherboard, and again as noted  by others, will be in the way if you populate the bottom slot and even 'right close' if you use the 2nd slot for another graphics card.  I could, I think, slip another 970 FTW+ in there.  I might try that some fine day.  The design irony of the USB 3.0 connector on the two boards is not lost on me though.

The fit of the Corsair H110i..   Ahh, another head-scratcher.  The front mount position on the R5 was the cleanest, although there were problems. The radiator has physical space with the HDD drive bays removed, but attaching the radiator and the fans was another thing.  The R5 has a bay sized closely for two 140mm fans with the case holes threaded for the mount screws ... which would be aft of the fans.  The upper four holes will align with four holes of the H110i radiator, but the second fan mount holes on the H110i are spaced further apart (putting a gap between fans mounted on the H110i).  You could drill out the top four case holes to allow the screw to only use the threaded holes on the H110i (thru Fan-case-into H110i). You could use two short screws to thread into the upper two holes of the lower fan pattern holes, and if you mark the resulting alignment of the lower CASE mounting holes on the H110i AND carefully drilled clearance holes there... then screw the lower case fan into position in the front case fan tray.  *pant*

I did figure out how to mount the radiator to the inside face of the R5 front fan tray with the fans mounted in a pull configuration inboard of the radiator.

But, that still left ... the ports of the H110i radiator having to be up, and those ports, at the very best, being level with the coolant pump. That looked to have a good chance of getting any air in the system to the pump, soooo..

Top mount.  I wasn't fond of an open top case, two of the three sound deadening panels would have to come off (they do so quite readily) and there's an open grill...dust falls... yech.  But, the hose length on the H110i will only allow it to be mounted top or front with the radiator ports up... (see above).

The 280mm radiator is a close fit up there.  The top, back 140mm fan has to come out.  The mounting position of the R5 for this radiator gives about 3/8"- 7/16" (9.5mm - 11mm) clearance above the X99 upper heatsink art and the CPU 8-pin power plug.  The only issue on this build is the height of the heatspreader on the GSkill memory.  With the fans mounted above the radiator the heatspreaders *just* contact the radiator.  Fans 'below' would be better, allowing you to 'grind to fit' some clearance on the fan chassis.  The problem I had was something in the metal forming of the radiator and the case actually holding the radiator lower..   Shorter memory would allow more flexibility.  

The front fan bay is now filled with the original front plus the relocated back fan.
    The hard drive is in the 4-bay HDD frame which puts it mounted sideways to the case right at the middle height of the lower front fan.  (The HDD bays on the R5 are quite open, either mounted fore-aft or sideways.)

So, thus far:
    I could wish for... an ATX X99 version of the Classy or an ever so slightly larger version of the R5.  Fractal Kelvin S24 (240mm cooler), I'd have bought one if I could have found one for sale.
    The R5 fan controller is probably my biggest grumble on the design/function of this case.  I really like the potentiometer control on the old Sniper box versus this 3-position switch thing.

I coulda/woulda .. 1) Held off on getting the HDD, I'm not so sure I'll need that 4T capacity over the 1T Plextor.  2) Shorter DRAM memory heatspreader.  3) Kinda Jonesing over not getting the 5930K but we'll see how the 5820K works with the singleton 970.

Overall, I really am not feeling too bad about how this has built up. I may revisit the radiator / fan arrangement later but I want to get some good data to form a baseline on cooling with the pull-exhaust setup currently in place.

More to come, but for now.. it doeth LIVE.. without alarms, failures and/or loose smoke.  :)

Nick

01/15/2022
    CPU Ryzen 5700
    Mem  32G T-force 3600

02/14/15

[si
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile