EVGA

[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review]

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Catrik
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 12:35:03 (permalink)
Where did you get the impression that the powder coat is thin?
Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 12:45:23 (permalink)
Pictures clearly show lots of bare metal, pretty obvious.

I like what some of the other driving sim cockpit manufacturers have done by lining the tubing with a plastic to keep the tubings finish intact on the parts that are added/removed.

It appears to keep this unit looking nice, one would have to break-out the flat black spray paint.
post edited by Red_Raider - 2012/09/15 12:50:14

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
2x Sapphire RX 480 8GB (x-fire)
3x Iwaki RD-30
heatware: RedRaider
<><

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 13:03:24 (permalink)
I dont think even plastic would last with the bolt-style locking system.  The bolt would just smash and shred the plastic over time and then you would be left with a loose fitting mounting arm :) To avoid scratching, the female part tube could have slit and a bolt to tighten it, sort of like a tube clamp. But it would be more work and propably cost more.
Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 13:14:48 (permalink)
The ones I've seen with liners do not lead me to believe they would wear out at all.

At this level of investment, I weigh the positives and negatives of the product, then decide who gets my hard-earned money and support. If the total investment was below $500 then I probably wouldn't mind, but when approaching $1K potential reoccuring aesthetic issues carry more weight.

Everyone has differing desires, needs and aspirations, mine happen to hold aesthetics equal to build quality and functionality. Especially considering its my hard-earned money being spent.

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
3x Iwaki RD-30
<><

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 13:27:06 (permalink)
What "the ones"? Give names or pictures. They probably use clamp style locking as I explained. It's gotta be really damn hard plastic if it's not gonna smash between a bolt (very small surface area) and a metal tube.
But you are right, at this price there is room for a little improvement.
post edited by Catrik - 2012/09/15 13:29:34
Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/15 13:32:03 (permalink)
I usually do not take kindly when some random internet person "tells me" what I will do, but to illustrate my point here is "one"...

http://www.rseat.net/

A word of advice brother, don't tell others what to do, ask them.
post edited by Red_Raider - 2012/09/15 13:36:15

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
3x Iwaki RD-30
<><

Red_Raider
Superclocked Member
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/16 15:16:43 (permalink)
No replies to my questions on previous page???

eVGA Classified - E759
920 - D0 (3846B077)
3x Iwaki RD-30
<><

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/17 09:10:26 (permalink)

Sorry, I didnt mean it like that. Your country must have very different culture than in here. "telling" ppl to do something, like "show pictures" is just..normal. No one is gonna get offended from that. Actually, if you would say "can you show pictures (please)" it would just sound awkward and someone (atleast me) would think that what  is that weirdo talking like that.. 
Anyway, yes the pictures and pretty much every else info is very lacking on the Obutto wesite/shop. I'm gonna try to take a close-up walk around video and show, uh, stuff it can do. And some measures. I should receive it in 2 weeks
rss334
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/19 20:17:43 (permalink)
Hi guys, I posted some of the picutres here and thought I'd chime in.   Yeah I agree the powder coat is thin but it's well done.  These flight mounts and arms are metal rubbing against metal, they are going to show wear regardless of the finish used.   There is almost no plastic on the R3 Obutto, it is metal, heavy, and solid.   It really is built like a tank.  I've yet to try it but they say flat black paint will restore the scratches to new.    Many of my parts were scratched upon arrival too, due to poor shipping (no reflection on Main Performance or Obutto - rather FedEx).  I promise you though anyone who see's your rig if you get one will never even notice the scratches, they are too busy wiping the drool off their faces to notice that! 

For cable management consider pipe insulation foam tubes, amazing stuff!

post edited by rss334 - 2012/09/19 20:30:27
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/19 20:40:40 (permalink)
Sorry for the delay in responding fellas... My business is extremely successful at the moment and taking all my time and then some. And as long as that is the case, sense it pays the bills, I will be giving it my all. I do not want to respond, just to respond. I would rather answer to the best of my abilities and that will most likely be this weekend. I do have time in the morning, just not sure where to spend it as of yet. Thank you for your understanding...

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/19 21:18:49 (permalink)
Now that you are here....press that button that says Accept on the Steam invite
That is all

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
mikegmain88
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/19 22:06:18 (permalink)
Red_Raider The Obutto website isn't too helpful in providing anything other than "generic" info. Really needs some work, IMHO. People like myself who are interested in investing money towards a "cockpit set-up" are typically comparing various competing designs, by providing more info it makes the decision a bit easier, so a person doesn't have to spend hours upon hours searching the web.

MainPerformancePC also needs to take the minimal time necessary to upload product photos (various angles both installed / loose) of the Obutto R3volution Accessories they are stocking, to me that is very discomforting. If something as simple as this is not being done, it makes me question what else they skimp on? A picture tells a thousand words, "no photo yet" says just one - lazy.

I'm starting to like the Obutto R3volution, it seems to fit what I'm looking for and provide future expansion/evolution. I can see my son and I enjoying driving sims / flight sims and some old school Steel Battalion.

We are working on additional photographs showing individual parts, as it is a common request.  We choose to allow Obutto to provide these, as we want them to be in control of how their product is presented.

Regarding us "skimping".  I am not really sure why you would imply this, but I will respond anyway.  For the past few months we have had issues with our Saas provider, Volusion, with adding product photos.  Let's just say it is just one item on the long list of issues on that platform.  We literally could not add any new product photo's until today. We are currently revamping our website, with new software and leaving that platform as we have pretty much outgrown it anyway. We do NOT skimp on any part of anything that we do.  We have a perfect review record, and thousands of happy customers, both Obutto and PC customers.

Regarding the powder coat.  Obutto chooses function and durability over aesthetics, now they still aim for a good looking product, things like scraped powder coat on moving parts is considered normal wear and tear.  Regardless of the amount of powder coat you use, it will happen with metal to metal contact.  Plastic sheathing would not last very long. The cool thing is, it's easy to maintain your Obutto, as Matte Black Spray Paint will bring it back to new in no time.  Cockpits with glossy finishes and what not, it's much more difficult, basically you scratch it and the scratch is there - maybe some automotive touch up would work, but you would still notice the repair.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/09/29 13:15:56 (permalink)
Thanks for the input Mike 

Cav525
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/05 15:51:39 (permalink)
Hi
I Have the older obutto, Will the new Obutto R3Volution Triple Monitor Mount work with the older seat, without the stand? If not do they sell the Obutto R3Volution Triple Monitor Mount with stand so us with the older seat can up date alittle?
d-rock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1171
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/05 18:16:04 (permalink)
Very cool AB, It does look like quite an upgrade from the original obutto. Even though I have yet to hook up a wheel and pedals due to funds but I still look forward to it. I applaud your write up and detail also.
Congrats!
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/05 18:44:17 (permalink)
Cav525

Hi
I Have the older obutto, Will the new Obutto R3Volution Triple Monitor Mount work with the older seat, without the stand? If not do they sell the Obutto R3Volution Triple Monitor Mount with stand so us with the older seat can up date alittle?

Welcome to EVGA 

At this time... They do not offer the monitor stand on it's own. It is in the big box with the rest of the assembly. As far as the "Triple" mount on the R3Volution, it is drastically different. However they have a really nice triple monitor kit for the oZone that is much nicer than the original option that you might look at. 

**Correction** I just went to their site to link you to that product and it seems they have completely revamped the site. I was unable to find the mount I spoke of...

Now as far as your question asking if the new triple mount would work on the oZone, I never measured the spacing for the two "Pole" mounts to know. Sorry about that one... 

Catrik
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/07 13:48:50 (permalink)
Looks like they just recently uploaded some very good detailed photos on Facebook. They should get R3vs in EU stock tomorrow (8.10.) and start shipping then, so hopefully I'll get mine in the next week. Cant wait!!
mikegmain88
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/12 00:38:53 (permalink)
Afterburner

**Correction** I just went to their site to link you to that product and it seems they have completely revamped the site. I was unable to find the mount I spoke of...

Now as far as your question asking if the new triple mount would work on the oZone, I never measured the spacing for the two "Pole" mounts to know. Sorry about that one... 

The manufacturer of that triple mount decided they did not want us selling it any longer (They did not like that Obutto designed an articulating mount for the R3Volution).  

The good news is, Obutto does plan on making the R3Volutions stand and triple mount available for oZone users as well.  This should happen around the beginning of next year.

It will likely be more affordable then the other one we used to sell anyway.

mikegmain88
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/12 00:41:09 (permalink)
Oh, and hope you guys are digging the new site :-)
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/13 13:17:50 (permalink)
Thanks for that info Mike!! And wow... You are going to offer the new stand on it's own! That very well could become your top seller.

I will notify the "Service man" (Military) that my old oZone went to of this change. This is very good news for those that want that ability, but not ready to give up their ozone...

d-rock
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1171
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/23 06:56:09 (permalink)
Afterburner

d-rock

Of course you know if you get to review it I'm expecting a BR lol

*cough* *cough*
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2012/10/26 07:02:16 (permalink)
d-rock

Afterburner

d-rock

Of course you know if you get to review it I'm expecting a BR lol

*cough* *cough*

I recommend four straight hours of your preferred SIM to help clear that cough of yours up 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/01/31 17:38:05 (permalink)
Small update...

Definately starting to look for a new seat. Once this new version breaks in. My 6'2" 215lbs. frame sits far enough in the seat that I cannot sit in it longer than 30 minutes...

Rippedgeek
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/02/03 19:21:52 (permalink)
Afterburner - when you say you want to replace the seat, do you mean the *whole* racing seat that comes with the R3volution?  Or the seat cover/cushion...?  I'm exceptionally tempted to buy a R3volution in the next month or so, but I myself am 6"3 / 220lbs. so this is something I would need to consider carefully... and also, I am in New Zealand, so getting parts will be slightly more tricky.

Cheers
R
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/02/03 21:38:50 (permalink)
Rippedgeek

Afterburner - when you say you want to replace the seat, do you mean the *whole* racing seat that comes with the R3volution?  Or the seat cover/cushion...?  I'm exceptionally tempted to buy a R3volution in the next month or so, but I myself am 6"3 / 220lbs. so this is something I would need to consider carefully... and also, I am in New Zealand, so getting parts will be slightly more tricky.

Cheers
R

Please note that I recognize that we are all built differently. Some 6'2" 220lbs folks have broad shoulders, others do not, or wide hips, others do not, wide feet, others do not... You get my point...

Yes the entire seat. No need to replace the cushion or cover. They still look like new! I have at least 1000+ hours in this seat. I am broad shouldered, and my hips are wide enough that now as I sit into the seat, the metal supports push pretty tightly against my hips and close my legs between the regular relaxed position and closed.

To be clear... This is one heck of a comfy seat. I am simply to wide for it and can no longer be comfortable in it.  

That said, it is one thing to be relaxed and sit in a seat all day, and another that forces your body into a position it is not liking...

If it was me, I would NOT hesitate to buy the entire kit. And just try it out for yourself. Then if you find down the road (Like I have) that you need to change the seat, so be it. Very few other kits out there at this price point or lower can come close to the quality of this seat. 

Rippedgeek
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/02/06 15:38:24 (permalink)
Afterburner, thanks for that.

I am definitely going to be buying the Obutto R3volution, no question about it... but I'm just concerned that I might run into additional expenses if I also need to replace the seat or somesuch.  I'm broad shouldered as well, athletic build, so not overweight or anything... I'm sure I'll be fine. 
I am feeling like a kid before Christmas again... at my ripe old 37 years.  Currently I am weighing up all sorts of options like whether I should use my current 24" monitor or just go whole hog and use my current 40" Sony LED TV... mmm... anyway, thanks again for the quick response and info.

Cheers
Rippedgeek
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/03/02 10:30:43 (permalink)
Any update Rippedgeek? Love to read your opinion of your setup =]

LiquidFigment
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2013/12/03 14:08:24 (permalink)
Hey Afterburner.  I have been doing my research on most gaming chairs / cockpits and the R3volution is currently on the top of my list. I am looking to pull the trigger on this but wanted to get your follow up on how you like it, now more than a year later then when you originally purchased it.  Anything breaking down?  Did you get your new chair? Have you had to purchase any replacement parts?  The cockpit looks solid as anything and I am a big guy so definitely need that.  iRacing is my current passion. Thanks in advance if you get back to me.

Liquid
neal0790
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1574
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2015/01/25 08:12:40 (permalink)
I know this is an old thread but i want to say thanks for the review. Im looking into buying the revolution. I remember looking into the revolution in the past but always thought the price was kind of high. But a few years later my desk is wobbly and my chair in falling apart. Considering the price it would cost to replace them compared to this cockpit the price looks more reasonable now. Hows everything holding up over the years, chair still comfortable and monitor stand still strong? Thanks.

Case: CM Storm Stryker
CPU: i7 3820
Mobo:  Asus Rampage Extreme IV x79
Ram: 16GB Kingston HyperX
GPU: 3x670 SC 4GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200
SSD/HDD: 128GB Crucial M4/2TB+1TB Seagate Barricuda
Monitors: Asus VG278HE 27" 144hz 3D 1080p/ Acer H5630 3D projector 85" 
G700/Razer Black Widow Ultimate/G27 Racing Wheel/Razer Nostromos
Mod Rigs Give Me A +1 If You Like It
LiquidFigment
Re:[Review] Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Review] 2015/01/25 16:40:10 (permalink)
Heya Neal,

A couple of weeks after my post, I received a R3volution for Christmas (2013). I have now had it for a little over a year and it gets daily use. I am a big guy at 6'3" and 330 lbs. This thing is definitely made to get in and stay in. No hopping in and out of that thing for me. That being said, this thing is a rock. I like the separate monitor stand so if the chair does move at all (just while getting in and out). Monitor stand is solid (you can move the legs to center it but solid construction). I am purchasing the triple monitor attachment to upgrades setup. The seat is just as comfortable as it was a year ago with great support. My girlfriend prefers to sit in it rather than our office chairs when she is using the computers. There have even been murmurs we will have to buy a second one soon. I am leaning towards an Ozone for her though since she does not sim race or fly.
I have had to make no adjustments as far as nut tightening except for the keyboard tray because we always are moving it around. I cannot give this R3v a high enough rating and its resale (if a buyer is nearby) must be fairly high because this thing is built SOLID.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile