EVGA

EVGA HADRON "COSMOS" BUILD

Author
Feerlyss
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/24 20:41:50 (permalink)
So about a year ago I bought the Hadron Air and the Z77 stinger mobo.  I wasn't sure what components I would eventually be able to acquire but I did know that I was gonna hack the case up a little bit and try my hand at modding.  This is the result of my first PC build.  (I've been and still am loyal to my Macs, I run and operate a recording studio).  Anyway I didn't want to buy a PS4/XbOne just yet, I had run a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro on a dual-boot on my MacBook Pro and got a taste of PC gaming.  I was hooked.  

So first thing I did was take the case completely apart and remove the drive cage.  I then painted the entire inside of the case black since it was only partially painted.  I then vectorized some hexagon decals on a cutter/plotter I have and wrapped them around the case.  I painted it purple and removed the dressing and viola! I had an awesome scientific looking case.  Then I clear-coated it and this was the beginning of a bad mistake.  After 3 days of awesome a hazy, milky contamination began to spread the case over.  The clear coat was not sticking to the original finish.  I super double coated it once more as a last-ditch effort before a restart.  Nada, exactly 3 days later it came back.  

Long story short-er-ish, I disassembled the entire case and spent an entire day hand-sanding the now extra thick finish off to bare, shiny steel.   That sucked btw.  I cut a hole in the upper front face of the case for a 120mm exhaust fan.  I then took one of the drive caddies and hacked it up for another mod I had in mind.  I wanted to mount a 3.5 HDD on the rear inside of the case above the GPU.  I made a mount and screwed it in from the back of the case.  It worked and just barely fit, awesome.  

At this point I sprayed the entire case inside and out with some black, plum, pink, and light blue paint to mimic the cosmos with gases and stars in it.  (spray paint from Lowes)  I went ahead and mounted the corsair fans and let it sit for a few months as I saved some more cash.

I started with an i3 3240 and GTX 660sc Ripsaws X 8gb setup which was actually a surprisingly powerful rig compared to my expectations.  It was at this point that I started hating the sleeving on the cables.  I started to do my own sleeving through Luttro, but I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea.  What if the cables looked kinda like the wrapping that goes on equipment in vehicles in space?  So went to walmart and grabbed a few rolls of thick, ribbed, ribbon.  3 bucks.  I hand wrapped the cables tightly and zip tied them.  It actually looked great to me!  score

So now my PC was "done"...until I got a GTX 670 and boy was I glad.  Now I was playing BF4 on High with an average of 80fps on an i3!  It stayed this way until December.  I bought myself an i5 3570k and this brought everything into a new territory with my games.  I overlocked it to 4.2 ghz on a Noctua NH-L9i cpu cooler.  Just some advice, if anyone tells you you can't overlock on that cooler they are dead wrong, this thing keeps the chip under 70c full load.  All was well in PC land for me, but I just had a couple more itches I needed to scratch.  So I bought an OCZ Arc 100 240gb ssd and just today I got the EVGA GTX 970 SSC, version 2 with the newer cooler and power phase.  It's done!  This thing is a freaking beast!  Sorry for the long story, some will appreciate it.  Enjoy some pics and ask me anything you wanna know, I've spent a year with this case inside and out.  

i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
EVGA GTX 970ssc v2 @ 1500mhz core/8000mhz memory OC
Gskill RipJaws X 8gb 1600
Noctua NH-L9i
3 Corsair SP120 fans (front fan has purple LEDs)
OCZ Arc 100 240gb SSD 
WD 640gb 7200rpm HDD (extra from my MacPro)
Hand wired blue, red, pink LEDs for case lighting

PICTURES HERE:
URLwww.overclock.net/g/a/1158467/official-evga-hadron-air-owners-club/

post edited by Feerlyss - 2015/01/24 20:50:21

i5 4690k @4.4ghz
EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX (1250 core/1452 boost)
EVGA Z97 Stinger
EK Watercooling
Noctua Fans
8gb Ripjaws X Ram
EVGA Nex650G
INwin 901

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile