EVGA

Z87 Classified BIOS code 62 after switching to RAID

Author
jdkim99
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/11 13:55:52 (permalink)
Previously, I installed Windows 8.1 on an SSD with SATA configured to AHCI.  I'd like to add a RAID 1 array to the system, but I am encountering problems switching my SATA configuration from AHCI to RAID in BIOS.  I am aware of bluescreen issues booting into Windows without making necessary changes to the Storahci and IaStorA services in the registry prior to making the SATA configuration change in the BIOS.  Microsoft has even provided some instructions with regard to setting Safe Mode boot in msconfig to get around having to make registry changes.

My problem is that the whole process seems to get stuck while in the BIOS before it even gets to Windows for the above solutions to take effect.  After I make the change from AHCI to RAID in the BIOS and reboot, I am stuck on the Z87 Classified splash screen.  There is a small "B2" in the bottom right corner of the screen and the BIOS LED on the motherboard reads "62."  The system will not respond to ctrl+alt+del and I have to manually restart the system.  I have disconnected all hard drives from the system and still get stuck on the splash screen, so I think there's something happening in the BIOS before it hands off to Windows else I would expect to see a boot device error as it cannot find any bootable drives.  The only way to avoid getting stuck at the splash screen is to reset CMOS.  Once I do this I can boot back into Windows 8.1.

I'd really like to avoid reinstalling Windows again if possible.  Any ideas?

4 Replies Related Threads

athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z87 Classified BIOS code 62 after switching to RAID 2015/01/12 21:17:20 (permalink)
    Dear jdkim99
    The "B2" in my Z87 Classi "which i regret tp own" corresponds to the BIOS Debug Led indicator i am running RAID 0 with 2 300GB wd raptors for windows 7 and
    raid 1 with 2 wd 150 raptor spiners for data, thanks god with no issues at this stage, i would suggest configuring the raid1 with the marvell controller. Which Bios you are using?
    Maybe you have to flash Bios, Evga has a long tradition for crappy Biosies provided to customers, have you noticed that every body in this forum is begging for a working Bios?
    And something else with Evga Bios you have to clear CMOS in order to move from a no boot condition to a boot up and working condition.
    I Wish you good luck......

jdkim99
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Z87 Classified BIOS code 62 after switching to RAID 2015/01/17 14:32:56 (permalink)
    I am using BIOS v 1.09.  I tried to use the Marvell controller as you suggested, but I'm having some confusion.  I enabled the Marvell controller and set it to RAID in the BIOS, hit CTRL+M and created the raid array, and installed the Marvell 91xx Sata6G Raid Controller driver once I booted into Windows 8.  Now, instead of seeing 1 RAID disk, I see two separate physical disks in Disk Management.  Does the Marvel controller require some sort of software utility to create the raid volume in Windows?
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Z87 Classified BIOS code 62 after switching to RAID 2015/01/18 23:34:10 (permalink)
    Dear jdkim, from my experiance the RAID configuration must to be configured in bios, messing with windows software to create Raid it allways turned erros to me.
    Also before changing controller you have to clear the previous Array with the disks connected with the controller you initially created it, since every controller stores diffrent
    algorithms and array patterns on to disk control unit. i hope i helped you a little bit.
    scirlos
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Z87 Classified BIOS code 62 after switching to RAID 2015/02/06 18:19:25 (permalink)
    forget about Raid just buy a SSD 1TB drive i did and you will never go back to Raid!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile