Z97 Stinger Sata Issue

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kolo7127
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/03 13:32:47 (permalink)
New Z97 Stinger, connecting 2 Samsung 840 Evo's in a raid 0. Intel RST and HW info reports them as connecting at sata II 3G/s. Crystal disk mark tests of read/write speeds around 500 MB/s or so. Ok for a single drive. I believe they should be higher though, heres why:

My older z77 stinger. Crystal disk mark would test them in their raid 0 array at 900 or so MB/s, but only if i left the SSD Driver option off in the bios' sata section. If I told the Bios they were ssd's  they would test slower around the 500 MB/s speeds. Which made no sense to me as they are indeed solid state.

It would appear that the option to tell the BIOS  if they are SSD's or not is not available in the Z97 Stinger and it just recognizes them as SSD's and slows them down like the old board did with SSD option.

EVGA Z77 Stinger
Intel 2700k
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC
2 x Samsung 840 evo 500GB (Raid 0)
Corsair AX 650
Corsair 250d
Corsair H75 
3 x Scythe Glide Stream 1900 RPM PWM Fans

33 Replies Related Threads

Mackan42
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/11/05 11:05:26 (permalink)
    I hope you do get answer on this, since doing RAID is pretty common out there.
    Mackan42
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/16 03:16:18 (permalink)
    You ever got this solved? 
    kolo7127
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/16 07:04:09 (permalink)
    No, drives still testing slower than I think they should be, could be age and usage. I did notice some interesting things though during testing. I found that regardless of sata cable or sata slot, the ssd's would sometimes show they were connected at sata 2 speeds, after a reboot, they would show connection at sata 3 speeds. After another reboot it would be back to sata 2. This was read from the intel RST tool as well as HWInfo. I have some new SSD's on the way, which will verify if the drives are the issue or not.

EVGA Z77 Stinger
    Intel 2700k
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC
    Corsair AX 650
    Corsair 250d
    Corsair H75 

Mackan42
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/28 02:33:34 (permalink)
    Any update on this? 
    kolo7127
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/28 07:47:07 (permalink)
    New drives show the same results as the old ones. The issue appears to be with the way the stinger handles the drives. Real world usage its not noticeable, but  when looking at bench marking numbers it is.

EVGA Z77 Stinger
    Intel 2700k
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC
    Corsair AX 650
    Corsair 250d
    Corsair H75 

HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1321
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/28 15:40:50 (permalink)
    Are you using the latest bios on the mb and firmware on the drives?  Run Samsung magician and see if there are any firmware updates for your drives and get the Samsung drive reconditioner for the evo which is also on their site.  There's an issue with them slowing down and you have to run the Samsung software to speed them back up again.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

Erik
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 417
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/28 15:53:13 (permalink)
    If you have access to other SATA cables, you may want to try those too and verify that it is not cable related.
    kolo7127
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2014/12/28 22:30:50 (permalink)
    I've tried and checked all of that, got new 850 pros, checked different sata ports even. The only hardware left is the mother board, software wise, could be the bios or drivers, all of which i have the latest.

EVGA Z77 Stinger
    Intel 2700k
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB SC
    Corsair AX 650
    Corsair 250d
    Corsair H75 

Mackan42
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/01 08:49:47 (permalink)
    Maybe EVGA can do an in-house test with RAID 0 on the Stinger board, preferably with Samsung drives, to confirm there is no issue (board or BIOS).
    Vipadex
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/07 18:12:25 (permalink)
    Hello all, I'm having this same problem with my EVGA Z97 Stinger Wifi & Samsung 840 EVO 1TB not in RAID at all. Every time I boot I am required to go into the BIOS and boot from Windows Boot Manager. Once it is loaded up, albeit slowly, my drive registers as SATA 2. This is quite perplexing seeing as the MOBO doesn't have SATA 2 ports, the SSD is SATA 3 interface and the SATA plug is marked as SATA 3. Where does the 2 come from? 3+3/3=2? There is also a Seagate SSHD 2TB hooked up and that seems to be fine but there is no way for me to tell. Probably running at SATA 2 as well if its the MOBO.
    HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/08 03:46:09 (permalink)
    What does magician say about the status of the evo?  Are you using the latest firmware for both the drive and the board?  Have you used the Samsung restore utility on the drive?

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

Vipadex
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/08 14:47:33 (permalink)
    HRPuffnstuff
    What does magician say about the status of the evo?  Are you using the latest firmware for both the drive and the board?  Have you used the Samsung restore utility on the drive?

Magician says the EVO is of Healthy Status and that it needs to be plugged into a SATA 3 port for improved performance. I have the latest firmware for the drive and MOBO. I have used Samsung restore utility on the drive. If this is pertinent in anyway, the drive is cloned from a OCZ Vertex 4 (fresh install on that one not too long ago since samsung had to send me a refurbished).
    HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/11 19:46:52 (permalink)
    Once you set the bios you shouldn't be forced back into it at each start.  Are you using the latest intel rapid storage driver?

Vipadex
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/11 20:11:38 (permalink)
    HRPuffnstuff
    Once you set the bios you shouldn't be forced back into it at each start.  Are you using the latest intel rapid storage driver?

Yes I am, and I just checked Intel RST and it says only my SSD is running at SATA 2... could this be a SATA wire problem or something liker the windows installation or drivers, softwae, etc.
    kcantrell
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/21 18:33:41 (permalink)
    I am having a similar, if not the same issue in my new build. No RAID in my case, but a Samsung 840 Pro and Z97 Stinger WIFI. Firmware is all up to date, latest BIOS, etc.

I neglected to install the Intel SATA AHCI driver initially, as the default one Windows 8.1 installed seemed to be working fine, until I happened across a long list of warnings in the event log. (Event 153, IO operation at logical block blah blah. It had no noticeable effect on system stability, but I'm not one to ignore warnings that could turn into problems later on.)

So I installed the proper driver, banishing the IO warning, and what was reported as, and benchmarked as SATA III is now SATA II. Uninstall driver, SATA III. Install driver, SATA II. Boot into a linux live usb, and look at that, it really is SATA III even as Windows reports and performs as SATA II. Drive seems fine, cable seems fine, port seems fine. Back into Windows 8.1 with the Intel driver? SATA II. (Note: Port 1 and 2, my data drives, were completely unaffected and happily operating in SATA III the whole time, and at this point I'm afraid to touch them.)

At each step I was checking what interface Windows reported the port operating at, and benchmarked it to see if it was lying (using a couple different tools just in case). The drive is healthy, in AHCI mode, and has been tested as 100% fine in other systems (with no Event 153 warnings in sight.) I've tried other SATA cables, pulled from known working systems, to no avail. I wish I had more drives I could wipe and test as system drives, to see if it's any drive that's acting the system drive, if it's only when it's on port 0, or if the board + driver combination really hate Samsung SSDs in particular.

If it weren't for that IO operation warning, I'd just stick with the default Windows driver and enjoy that SATA III 6Gb/s goodness. (I'm lying, I can't tell the difference in day-to-day operation, but while I could live with it, I don't see why I should. )

So yeah, my guess it's a driver/firmware issue.

(I'm tired and frustrated from all the testing and switching components back and forth between systems, so I apologize if this doesn't make any sense.)
    Vipadex
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/21 19:14:33 (permalink)
    kcantrell
    I am having a similar, if not the same issue in my new build. No RAID in my case, but a Samsung 840 Pro and Z97 Stinger WIFI. Firmware is all up to date, latest BIOS, etc.

I neglected to install the Intel SATA AHCI driver initially, as the default one Windows 8.1 installed seemed to be working fine, until I happened across a long list of warnings in the event log. (Event 153, IO operation at logical block blah blah. It had no noticeable effect on system stability, but I'm not one to ignore warnings that could turn into problems later on.)

So I installed the proper driver, banishing the IO warning, and what was reported as, and benchmarked as SATA III is now SATA II. Uninstall driver, SATA III. Install driver, SATA II. Boot into a linux live usb, and look at that, it really is SATA III even as Windows reports and performs as SATA II. Drive seems fine, cable seems fine, port seems fine. Back into Windows 8.1 with the Intel driver? SATA II. (Note: Port 1 and 2, my data drives, were completely unaffected and happily operating in SATA III the whole time, and at this point I'm afraid to touch them.)

At each step I was checking what interface Windows reported the port operating at, and benchmarked it to see if it was lying (using a couple different tools just in case). The drive is healthy, in AHCI mode, and has been tested as 100% fine in other systems (with no Event 153 warnings in sight.) I've tried other SATA cables, pulled from known working systems, to no avail. I wish I had more drives I could wipe and test as system drives, to see if it's any drive that's acting the system drive, if it's only when it's on port 0, or if the board + driver combination really hate Samsung SSDs in particular.

If it weren't for that IO operation warning, I'd just stick with the default Windows driver and enjoy that SATA III 6Gb/s goodness. (I'm lying, I can't tell the difference in day-to-day operation, but while I could live with it, I don't see why I should. )

So yeah, my guess it's a driver/firmware issue.

(I'm tired and frustrated from all the testing and switching components back and forth between systems, so I apologize if this doesn't make any sense.)

Would you mind walking me through the process on what you did to revert back to the original windows drivers? (installation, downloads, etc.) I assume that is what you did, however your problem does seem a bit more complicated in comparison mine. To this regard, my problems outlined are; I cannot boot unless overridden in BIOS to windows boot manager (Not a boot option for some reason?). Windows auto repair and a bunch of other buttons are missing from advanced start-up. Only SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 1TB) is running at SATA 2 speeds (Samsung magician says 6GB/s but Intel RST begs to differ + the speeds are bottle-necked. *Verified as a non-cable issue.* I haven't tested this drive in my friends rig yet but I will soon... I anticipate that his will work perfectly and this is simply some software related problem but windows is not very good with that sort of thing.
    kcantrell
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/21 19:29:57 (permalink)
    Vipadex
    Would you mind walking me through the process on what you did to revert back to the original windows drivers? (installation, downloads, etc.) I assume that is what you did, however your problem does seem a bit more complicated in comparison mine. To this regard, my problems outlined are; I cannot boot unless overridden in BIOS to windows boot manager (Not a boot option for some reason?). Windows auto repair and a bunch of other buttons are missing from advanced start-up. Only SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 1TB) is running at SATA 2 speeds (Samsung magician says 6GB/s but Intel RST begs to differ + the speeds are bottle-necked. *Verified as a non-cable issue.* I haven't tested this drive in my friends rig yet but I will soon... I anticipate that his will work perfectly and this is simply some software related problem but windows is not very good with that sort of thing.

I rolled back the driver in Device Manager. Device Manager -> expand IDE/AHCI ATAPI controllers-> selected the SATA AHCI controller -> Right click, select properties -> Driver -> Roll back driver.

Your boot problem sounds a LOT more serious to me. When you say Windows Boot Manager isn't an option, do you mean under Set Boot Priority, or in UEFI Boot Drive BBS Priorities, or both?
    Vipadex
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/21 20:20:47 (permalink)
    kcantrell
    Vipadex

I rolled back the driver in Device Manager. Device Manager -> expand IDE/AHCI ATAPI controllers-> selected the SATA AHCI controller -> Right click, select properties -> Driver -> Roll back driver.

Your boot problem sounds a LOT more serious to me. When you say Windows Boot Manager isn't an option, do you mean under Set Boot Priority, or in UEFI Boot Drive BBS Priorities, or both?

Only under Set boot priorities, and by windows boot manager I mean "Windows boot manager P0: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1TB" (not the UEFI one, that one is under BBS but gives me the error code↓↓↓) so when referring to that neither instances occur. (nowhere in BIOS except for boot override). When I try to boot without boot override it will give me a "please reboot and select proper boot device."
    Vipadex
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/21 20:30:54 (permalink)
    kcantrell
    Vipadex

New update: the driver rollback worked thx ;) But now Intel RST isn't working... not to much of a problem but I'm gonna fiddle with it a little... haven't tried rebooting and the boot option for "WBMP0:S8E1TB" still isn't there.
    HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/22 05:59:44 (permalink)
    By chance you aren't running norton 360 are  you?  I had an issue with it and had to refresh my windows install to correct what it had done.  Just keep in mind with windows 8.1 that you can perform what ms calls a refresh that takes you all the way back to square one without performing a clean install of windows.

kcantrell
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/01/22 20:00:57 (permalink)
    Vipadex
    New update: the driver rollback worked thx ;) But now Intel RST isn't working... not to much of a problem but I'm gonna fiddle with it a little... haven't tried rebooting and the boot option for "WBMP0:S8E1TB" still isn't there.

Yeah, Intel RST installs the driver, so it kinda needs it. ;) I'd give refreshing Windows a try, and a total wipe and reinstall if it doesn't help. I know it's a pain, but something is not right there.

For my little problem... I am beyond frustrated. I have tested installing Windows with the drive connected to every port on the board. I have tried preloading the intel driver while installing Windows, in case there was some issue with later updates/drivers. It's the same every time. Intel SATA AHCI driver = C:\ operating as SATA II. Meanwhile, the data drives happily operate at SATA III, no matter what port. I'm out of ideas.

post edited by kcantrell - 2015/01/23 05:33:16
    Tehbadkid
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/02/12 13:25:22 (permalink)
    I was dealing with this for to long, exact same issue.  I was getting frustrated to say the least.

Anyways, I am running on the z97 stinger wifi with two Samsung 850's in RAID 0.  
    After vanilla install of windows, Bench would run at close to single drive speeds:  

IRST control panel would report one of the SSD's running at 3Gb/s the other at 6Gb/s.

I just uninstalled IRST and then uninstalled (and deleted the files) of the Intel Raid Controller in device manager.  After a few reboots the original raid controller driver was installed, but the computer started randomly locking up.  I managed to reinstall the latest Intel RST driver and now for some reason It's working.  I just completed a benchmark without the SATA issues occurring:

IRST Control panel is now reporting 6Gb/s on both drives.  Trying not to breathe on it too hard..

post edited by Tehbadkid - 2015/02/12 18:13:34

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
    cillieacc0rd5o4
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2015/02/15 14:04:22 (permalink)
    Is this a related issue for Wifi only or both wifi and non ?
    aztecboy125
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2016/06/30 16:23:07 (permalink)
    I'm also having the same issue Samsung Magician and Intel RST report that my 256gb pro running on sata2.

Paulogdm
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2016/10/02 11:15:41 (permalink)
    Hello! Can confirm this issue with Z87 Stinger + 750 EVO.
    Lots of hours trying to debug WTH is going on... Its crazy!

• Z87 Stinger + 750 EVO = Sata2 Speeds.
    • Z87 Stinger + CS1311 = Sata3 Speeds.
    • Z87 Stinger + 840 EVO = Sata2 Speeds.
    • Z87 Stinger + 500GB HDD Seagate = Sata3 Speeds.
    • Z87 Stinger + 500GB HDD Samsung = Sata3 Speeds.
    • ROG Gen IV + 750 EVO = Sata3 Speeds.
    • ROG Gen IV + CS1311 = Sata3 Speeds.

post edited by Paulogdm - 2017/02/04 05:38:04
    zografos_k
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2017/02/04 04:21:12 (permalink)
    Hello everyone,
    I've just bought a Stinger Z97 Core3D and i'm facing the same problem.

I have a 840evo and a 2.5'' 500gb which both were tested with 6 different cables in order to exclude the possibility of being the cables the cause of the problem.
    Also I have changed the position of the drives on the mobo several times.

RST installed ---> SATA 3Gb/s at both disks - Windows boot fast (not very high though) but other software programs have a significant delay when are about to start.
    RST uninstalled ---> SATA 6Gb/s at SSD, 3Gb/s at HDD - Windows boot at ultra slow speed (the keyboard remains unresponsive many times at login screen) but other software programs are loading fast.

What can i do? Has anyone solved the problem?
    post edited by zografos_k - 2017/02/04 05:10:15
    Paulogdm
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2017/02/04 04:58:03 (permalink)
    zografos_k
    Hello everyone,
    I've just bought a Stinger Z97 Core3D and i'm facing the same problem.

I have a 840evo and a 2.5'' 500gb which both were tested with 6 different cables in order to exclude the possibility of being the cables the cause of the problem.
    Also I have changed the position of the drives on the mobo several times.

RST installed ---> SATA 3Gb/s at both disks - Windows boot fast (not very high though) but other software programs have a significant delay when are about to start.
    RST uninstalled ---> SATA 6Gb/s at SSD, 3Gb/s at HDD - Windows boot at ultra slow speed (the keyboard remains unresponsive many times at login screen) but other software programs are loading fast.

What can i do? Does anyone has solved the problem?

Im 100% sure that this is Intel's driver fault. Believe me, I spend 14 days (5 hours each day) trying to fix this problem. Unfortunately both Intel and EVGA dont really care about this issue. It is in their best interest to sell new stuff  .
    Thread created at Intel Forum >> https://communities.intel.com/thread/108210
    zografos_k
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2017/02/04 05:19:48 (permalink)
    Thank you pgdm for the quick response.
    I've just read the topic you made in Intel's forum and i have to say that i agree with you that the problem is being brought about by RST driver.
    But i have to put some responsibility on EVGA too. I tested the same 840 evo on Impact VIII and there was no problem at all. Same windows 10 iso, same RST driver, same cables. All went excellent.
    I assume EVGA has to publish a patch/fix, i don't know what, to solve this issue because it's happening to their mobo. I didn't face any kind of problem on a Shuttle SZ87R6 that i had before, on the Impact VIII (friend's of mine) and on Asrock Extreme3 990FX. (same driver, same SSD)
    Paulogdm
    Re: Z97 Stinger Sata Issue 2017/02/04 05:43:49 (permalink)
    zografos_k
    Thank you pgdm for the quick response.
    I've just read the topic you made in Intel's forum and i have to say that i agree with you that the problem is being brought about by RST driver.
    But i have to put some responsibility on EVGA too. I tested the same 840 evo on Impact VIII and there was no problem at all. Same windows 10 iso, same RST driver, same cables. All went excellent.
    I assume EVGA has to publish a patch/fix, i don't know what, to solve this issue because it's happening to their mobo. I didn't face any kind of problem on a Shuttle SZ87R6 that i had before, on the Impact VIII (friend's of mine) and on Asrock Extreme3 990FX. (same driver, same SSD)

Unfortunately we depend on the good will of both Intel and EVGA. And I dont think we will get any of that...
    It is sad, but how we gonna put them under some kind of pressure? We are in the "old hardware" session of the forum.

Again, it is better for them to just ignore us...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile