EVGA

Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan.

Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2014/12/02 18:26:57 (permalink)
I have the items in my card for both an EVGA Hardron Hydro, an EVGA z87 stinger My main concern is ram since DDR3 only comes in 8gb sticks, and it only has 2x ram slots, and the server mini ITX board I saw only supports 8x on its pcie lane, but it has 4 ram slots.... and limited sata connectors. My big thing would be though is the tiny 500w psu in the unit, I would be running a core i7 4770k that hits 4.8ghz on air, so putting it under water, then I don't use SSD's I use WD Vraptors 600gb drives and 1-2tb sized hard drives, of course with water on the gpu and cpu it will mean more fans, that require more power.... second guessing because I know the titan will pull 200-250w easy, then the cpu will be pulling almost as much while oced, then with all the fans, pumps, ram, whatever else I put into it, I fear the psu will suffer a slow death, the other setup would be a corsair carbide cude that is micro ATX with the same type of motherboard I have now. Any input on this, should I just avoid this case fully because of the small power supply and the possibility of it failing on me? I have seen what happens when over pushing small form factor psu's like the one in EVGA's case the result is normally really bad on all the hardware it takes with it when it goes out.
post edited by donta1979 - 2014/12/02 18:28:27

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

9 Replies Related Threads

Julian_Moore_III
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1701
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/03 02:12:15 (permalink)
    In the same boat with ya, i also been looking at the cooler master 110 a little larger than hadron, ugly cube tho (full size atx psu is a plus) and LIAN LI PC-TU100B or SG05BB-LITE both small as hell (thinking of throwing a itx 970 in there and also found a 600w sfx for those two).  Hadron is definitely the prettiest and supports the largest coolers. 

As for the psu can't speak by experience but can say that fsp group has made some zalman, ocx, and thermaltake and have made some really solid psus.  My one gripe is the fact that there is no replacement for this psu on the market not even on evga's site.  So if psu fails do i send in case and psu or just psu, what if it takes out some hardware what do i do?

With all that said I will be picking up a hadron hopefully during one of the next hadron air /w free torx promo.  I really can't say anything till i get my hands on the case or if evga wants to send me one or four lol.

Honestly I'm looking to downsize my 3 current heavy footprint rigs (pushing close to 3500w) and opt for 4 small footprint pc's itx preferably (pushing less than 2000W).  I've already downsized two to push less than 500w.

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/04 21:59:17 (permalink)
    Yeah what is up with EVGA it's like their CS is on a downward spiral... I was going to add two more EVGA products own I think like 22 or so plus things from them. :/
    post edited by donta1979 - 2014/12/04 22:00:53

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/10 00:07:36 (permalink)
    donta1979
    I have the items in my card for both an EVGA Hardron Hydro, an EVGA z87 stinger My main concern is ram since DDR3 only comes in 8gb sticks, and it only has 2x ram slots, and the server mini ITX board I saw only supports 8x on its pcie lane, but it has 4 ram slots.... and limited sata connectors. My big thing would be though is the tiny 500w psu in the unit, I would be running a core i7 4770k that hits 4.8ghz on air, so putting it under water, then I don't use SSD's I use WD Vraptors 600gb drives and 1-2tb sized hard drives, of course with water on the gpu and cpu it will mean more fans, that require more power.... second guessing because I know the titan will pull 200-250w easy, then the cpu will be pulling almost as much while oced, then with all the fans, pumps, ram, whatever else I put into it, I fear the psu will suffer a slow death, the other setup would be a corsair carbide cude that is micro ATX with the same type of motherboard I have now. Any input on this, should I just avoid this case fully because of the small power supply and the possibility of it failing on me? I have seen what happens when over pushing small form factor psu's like the one in EVGA's case the result is normally really bad on all the hardware it takes with it when it goes out.

Short version: You're fine, don't worry about it.

Explanation:  You know the drill, just add up the amps of all your 12v users; but mainly just CPU + GPU since they draw the majority of the system's power.  As long as it is below the 40A rating on the 500W, you're fine.

For instance, an all stock Haswell quad-core consumes around 80W from 12v (or 6.7A), while the Titan Black has a 250W (20.8A) rating, that comes to 27.5A.   RAM uses 3.3v, not 12v; and SSDs use IMO an negligible amount of power compared to CPU + GPU, so I'm ignoring them.  Fans, pumps and optical/hard drives use 12v and a bit more than an SSD, so read your labels, add them in; maybe you'll hit 30A all-stock.  If you manage to push the quad to 4.8GHz, that would add another 60W, or 5A; now you're at 35A.  Close to the 40A limit, but not running peak.

FWIW, it isn't like there aren't other powerful 1U rackmount PSUs; Athena Power makes a 600W unit with 43A (make sure they will fit in the Hadron).  It isn't like EVGA made a mistake with their PSU choice, it is dependent on a statistical majority of who intends to buy Hadron; most won't push the boundaries...

Note regarding nVidia's minimum system requirements:
    I'm sure you know that nVidia can't control which PSU we get, so they pick a wattage such that you can go out and get a poor quality PSU of a certain wattage and not cripple the card, i.e. the 650W minimum for Titan is an exaggeration.  If nVidia was in control of the PSU choice, they wouldn't need as much wattage and amperage.  That is what all OEMs do (and what EVGA did on the case of Hadron), they pick a PSU for any configuration their systems are meant for, they aren't stupid to underpower their own systems just because many of us are too scared to use less than nVidia's minimum system req because we don't know what they mean anyway.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/18 12:01:29 (permalink)
    Running a Titan Black + 4770K in a Hadron Hydro, power draw from the wall is 350-400w for normal system load with both at stock. So you have some room to OC, but don't go nuts with the voltages as it would be very easy to exceed the 500w rating. I am only using one HDD so if you're using a few Raptors and HDDs its going to also eat into that 100w headroom. 

Have water, will cool. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/20 22:09:06 (permalink)
    I would lean towards Corsair carbide cube over EVGA Hadron.

corsair carbide cube:
    Front dust filter (no dust filter on hadron)
    Whole interior painted black (not just what you can see from side window)
    Designed with wire management in mind 
    Can use normal dvd or bluray drive (save $$)
    Can use normal PSU (save $$ and less noise)

Taking the side panels off evga hadron is like looking at the fat girl you went home with from the bar, when your sober. DAMNNNNN!

Julian_Moore_III
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1701
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/20 22:35:09 (permalink)
    Yeah I decided on the Rosewill Legacy Series either v3 or v4 with a m-itx or micro atx. 
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/24 13:00:38 (permalink)
    kougar
    Running a Titan Black + 4770K in a Hadron Hydro, power draw from the wall is 350-400w for normal system load with both at stock. So you have some room to OC, but don't go nuts with the voltages as it would be very easy to exceed the 500w rating. I am only using one HDD so if you're using a few Raptors and HDDs its going to also eat into that 100w headroom. 

yeah the up to the 400w is what I am worried about if your just gaming, I do a lot of 3d rendering, on both cpu/gpu at the same time, I am afraid I am going to force that 500w psu into an early death from being at over eighty percent load constantly.

Heatware   

My Build
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/25 03:44:24 (permalink)
    MSim

corsair carbide cube:

Taking the side panels off evga hadron is like looking at the fat girl you went home with from the bar, when your sober. DAMNNNNN!

The Corsair case you recommended is SO BIG though. Gross. It's not all all in the same market space as the Hadron and that's why it doesn't have the same limitations.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Been Debating on EVGA Hadron Hydro w/ its 500w gold psu and a GTX Titan. 2014/12/25 10:35:39 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    MSim

corsair carbide cube:

The Corsair case you recommended is SO BIG though. Gross. It's not all all in the same market space as the Hadron and that's why it doesn't have the same limitations.

I was just picking between the two cases he mentioned. Other cases on the market that are smaller and allow you to use normal rom drive and psu. How well the interior of the case is painted shouldn't matter on the size of the case.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile