EVGA

On board audio is not working on X58 FTW???

Author
beekermartin
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 765
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/12/18 08:43:39 (permalink)
I recently sold my X58 FTW on ebay.  The guy I sold it to is saying the on board audio is not working.  I was using a sound card when I removed the board so the on board was disabled in the bios.  He enabled it in the bios and tried several drivers including EVGA and Realtek.  

I had an issue with the sound card I was using about a year ago and I had to replace it.  While I was waiting for the new sound card I used the on board sound and it worked perfectly.  Now it appears to not be working???

Is there anything else in the bios that needs to be enabled besides HD audio?  Is there any other recommendations I can give him to try?  

11 Replies Related Threads

Thorbans
    • Total Posts : 82
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/18 08:52:24 (permalink)
    Is he checking to make sure in windows he has selected the correct output device I know I have seen machines default to other things that don't have speakers attached

beekermartin
    SSC Member
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/18 09:13:28 (permalink)
    I mentioned that to him.  I know when you install video card drivers that a lot of time the audio will default to the HDMI output of the video card.  I told him to make sure the audio device selected is Realtek.  He said he tried that but still nothing.  

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/18 18:26:03 (permalink)
    Sometimes people say they've tried something, when they really haven't.

What sort of audio configuration is he using?  Headphones, speaker, HDMI out to a TV, Coax, Optical, etc.?

With his front panel audio connector, is he using the HD Audio connectors or AC'97?  If the latter, he may be shorting out the audio controller.

First, make crystal clear sure that he's reenabled the onboard audio in the BIOS.
    Second, make sure he's attempted to install the realtek drivers after enabling the onboard audio in the BIOS.  
    Third, have him check if the Realtek shows up in his list of Playback devices in Windows Sound.
    Fourth, have him check Device Manager > System Devices to see if he has one or more HD Audio Controllers.
    Fifth, if neither the Realtek shows up in Playback, nor has an HD Audio Controller, figure out what video card he has.  Some video cards have onboard audio that can disable an onboard audio.
    Sixth, if everything checks out with steps 1-5, see if he's not getting audio with everything, or if it's just within certain programs.  Some video playback programs select a different audio device than what you're actually using.

Lastly, the realtek audio can sometimes do something really stupid.  It can sometimes "detect" a front panel connection, and disable the audio for the back panel connections.  If that's the case, then you need to go into the Realtek Audio Control Panel, and see if you can go into the advanced speaker settings and allow it to play audio through front and back simultaneously.  That fixes a lot of these issues.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    beekermartin
    SSC Member
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/19 06:19:08 (permalink)
    Awesome response Nordic Jedi!  I forward it to him.  

I have to assume he is missing one of the above.  The on board audio worked perfectly the last time I used it.  I guess it could have failed but I consider that to be highly unlikely.  

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/19 10:17:13 (permalink)
    He may actually want to start messing with the Realtek audio settings I mentioned above first.  Problems due to a phantom connection in front happens more often than you'd think.  If he doesn't have those options, then he may need to download the Realtek driver directly from the Realtek website.

The options will look like either:

or:

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    newpull
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 09:14:40 (permalink)
    Ok so I am the one that bought the board. I have tried just about everything I have found online and what evga has told me to do over the phone nothing seems to get either the front or rear audio to work. When I plug in my speakers to the 3.5mm jack the back analog panel on Audio manager stays grey and isnt recognizing that the jack is plugged in. Ive tried leaving the front panel audio disconnected from the CFPA plug and it shows up on audio manager as being plugged in (meaning I can click on the headphone and mic jack and set it as front speaker out or rear speaker out etc.) Ive disabled all enhancements, changed the format to CD quality 44100 Hz.  I have done a fresh install of windows still no sound. I then installed the chipset driver and audio driver from the evga website no luck there either. I knew that the video card may be interfering with the audio so I left the video card driver to install last and I have checked in the Nvidia control panel to see if the digital audio was enabled but it is not. I am using a GT240 that has DVI VGA and HDMI and I have the VGA plugged in. I really think the onboard audio is dead but beekermartin insists that it worked before he sent it out to me. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? 

post edited by newpull - 2014/12/22 09:19:48

Attached Image(s)

newpull
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 09:20:39 (permalink)

Here is a picture of device manager and Nvidia control panel

Attached Image(s)

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 09:27:07 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums!

I see it's showing errors with a couple of the devices on the board.  Have you installed the Intel Chipset drivers yet?

If the Nvidia card is causing issues with the onboard, then you'll need to do a couple extra steps:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=59211

Follow the instructions there to fully disable the Nvidia onboard audio, reinstall the driver using the custom install/perform a clean install, and then see if the audio comes back.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    newpull
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 12:14:36 (permalink)
    Yes I installed the chipset driver before audio driver. I have also tried what you posted in the link many times and just tried it again still nothing.
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 12:49:01 (permalink)
    With respect, if you've done what was posted in the link exactly, you would no longer see the 4 High Definition Audio devices in the Sound, Video, and Game controller menu, as it disables the device completely.  The HD Audio Controller related to the onboard audio for the video card has to be disabled in System Devices, nowhere else.  Forgive me for being skeptical, but most people only think they've gone through the extra steps, so I usually check a second time to see if these steps have been done exactly as layed in the FAQ.  

What kind of speakers are you using?

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    beekermartin
    SSC Member
    Re: On board audio is not working on X58 FTW??? 2014/12/22 13:34:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help again NJ!  All I know is it worked perfectly a year ago and I don't see why it would not be working now.  If he lived closer I would stop by and try to figure it out myself.  Hopefully he can follow your instructions and get it figured out.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile