EVGA

PC not shutting down with Z87 FTW.

Author
danjguzman
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/19 14:23:08 (permalink)
I have a Z87 FTW mobo, and ever since I've bought it there's been the issue of the PC not shutting down.

Problem: When I go to shut down, at times the PC would not shut down all the way, and by that I mean Windows 7 does shut down and I can hear the CPU fan shutting down, the HDD shutting down, the Graphics card shut down (monitors shows there's no signal) but the Mobo lights are still on and the power switch is still lit up as if the PC was on. I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds for it to actually shut it down.

I updated the BIOS is a newer version than what came out of the box hoping it would fix this issue, and all this did was make the issue worse. So instead of about 1 out of every 5, now it's about 3 out of every 5 times it will not shut down.

I again updated the BIOS the latest version out now and it's made things even worse than that. Now every single time I go to shut down, Windows does its thing and shuts down properly, but the PC itself doesn't shut down.

Does anyone have any idea on what could have gone wrong here? I never experienced this issue before with any other of my PCs. And it seems to have gotten progressively worse as I updated the BIOS.

I also reset the BIOS to default settings as well. And I also pulled out the Graphics card and the issue persists.

My components are:

Intel 4770k
Z87 FTW Mobo
16 GB DDR3 Ram
EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 Ti
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Samsung 2 TB HDD
Corsair TX750 PSU
Windows 7

Thanks for any help you can provide.
post edited by danjguzman - 2014/11/19 14:25:48

4 Replies Related Threads

Erik
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 417
    Re: PC not shutting down with Z87 FTW. 2014/11/19 18:30:25 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums danjguzman

You're likely looking at either an issue with the power supply or the motherboard.  For testing purposes, if you could borrow a power supply from a friend an try that in your system, that'd let us know.  

The great thing about the Z87 chipset is the onboard so if you're not able to get at least a 500W unit, you could remove your GPU and test with the onboard and a lower wattage PSU.
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PC not shutting down with Z87 FTW. 2014/11/19 20:59:02 (permalink)
    these Certain shout-down strange patterns happened also with my Z87 Classi.
    Power Supply may be your issue, may by some sort of short circuit, first search for the simpler trouble shouting
    starting by cheaking cables is very common. But in my configuration (3Sli + 1card for Phyzics),
    It was most propablly Bios issue since those patterns were encouterd only after messing
    with BLCK FRQ
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PC not shutting down with Z87 FTW. 2014/11/19 21:08:15 (permalink)

i come to a conclusion, that bios ver.  1.09 fixed many, many bugs. From my point of view ,
    A problematic BIOS needs to be
    updated.
    danjguzman
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: PC not shutting down with Z87 FTW. 2014/12/18 15:19:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses. I came back to post that my issue has been resolved, and if this helps anyone else...

I am not sure what caused the problem and what fixed it. I've done three different things at pretty much the same time and either one of these could have solved it.

1. I removed an older 1TB Maxtor HDD from my PC, no longer needed it in there.
    2. I moved around all the power cables from my Videocard, for cable management, and plugged them back in.
    3. I reinstalled Windows 7 due to other issues.

Ever since then, the PC shuts down each and every time without issues. Maybe something was loose? Or maybe it was a Windows issue.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile