EVGA

Poll, who has coil whine?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Author
kb5266
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 11:04:57 (permalink)
GTX 970 FTW has slight coil whine only when running high fps > 200fps (maybe it's normal I dunno, only other cards I've had are GTX 570, and GTX 750 Ti FTW, no whine on either - probably because they couldn't achieve such insane fps) so I turned on Adaptive Vsync in NVCP and dont even hear it anymore. Not worth the hassle of RMA'ing being without card for 2 weeks or more. Also have the extended warranty on it so am covered if I have a problem with it later on down the road. ASIC Quality is 71.5 I think and don't want to risk getting something lower if I play the RMA lottery. Happy with what I have :)

Intel Core i7-6900K CPU @ 4.4GHz || PNY Anarchy 64GB (8x8) DDR4 2133 || ASUS x99 Haswell-E Deluxe (BIOS 3701) || EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 || Corsair H110 || Corsair AX1200 || Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX Cube Case || LG WH10LS30 & GH24NS50 Optical Drives || Samsung SSD 840 256GB || SanDisk SSD Ultra II 960GB || HGST 7200rpm 6TB & 4TB Internal(s) || Hitachi (2x) 500GB Internal || Western Digital Green 2TB External & 1TB External || Logitech K800 Illuminated Keyboard & MX Performance Mouse w/ 5.1 Surround X-530|| AMH 409u v2 || Windows 10 Education (build 10586), 64-bit
Cookiezzz0
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 11:08:36 (permalink)
 On games (mostly old games or some kind of loading screen) where FPS skyrockets yes, normal usage or games with FPS < 200. no problem at all.
jasonwatkins
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 13:49:51 (permalink)
With my 3 week old dual GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 cards, in static loading screens there is very minimal coil whine due to the super high FPS (the same slight whine that my eVGA GTX 580 and 680 always had), but as others have noted, there is no noticeable whine during actual gameplay.  That is pretty good considering dual cards would be amplifying the sound with twice as many coils versus a single card.  My 970 cards are the newer revision, since they came from the factory with the BIOS that supports zero fan speed.

(EVGA Elite Member) AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Kraken X63 AIO | G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB CL16 | eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung SSDs: 980 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS Drive), 860 EVO 2TB, 850 EVO 1TB (Games). HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB (x2 in RAID1) | Sound Blaster ZxR | eVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS 80+ GOLD power supply | Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout case | Dell S3220DGF 32" 164hz monitor

_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 19175
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 16:47:50 (permalink)
DirtySouthWookie
I really think these cards are just indicative of coil whine. I literally went through 14 different 980s in SLI from different manufacturers. I used different power sources, clean power inverters,  different platinum rated PSUs, and two high end motherboards just to get coil whine from every single card.

Each coil whine was like a snowflake! All were very different. It seemed the further the asic quality was apart, the louder the whine was and pulsated. Cards with Asic within 1% gave off the least whine with no loud pulses. Asus being by far the loudest and unstable. ( I went through 4 )
MSI 2nd loudest. ( went through 2 ) followed my gtx 980 classifieds (used 2) and the quietest was the evga gtx 980 sc 2.0 cards. ( I had to go through 8 before I found a couple that were quiet.

The quiet cards were both 75% asic and can overclock to 1570 stable on air even though I don't over clock at all anymore.

It seems the real silicon lottery isn't asic quality but silent cards.

14?!?! I guess you really do hate coil whine that much lol
post edited by _Nite_ - 2014/12/17 16:56:01

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

DirtySouthWookie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 20:37:14 (permalink)
_Nite_
DirtySouthWookie
I really think these cards are just indicative of coil whine. I literally went through 14 different 980s in SLI from different manufacturers. I used different power sources, clean power inverters,  different platinum rated PSUs, and two high end motherboards just to get coil whine from every single card.

Each coil whine was like a snowflake! All were very different. It seemed the further the asic quality was apart, the louder the whine was and pulsated. Cards with Asic within 1% gave off the least whine with no loud pulses. Asus being by far the loudest and unstable. ( I went through 4 )
MSI 2nd loudest. ( went through 2 ) followed my gtx 980 classifieds (used 2) and the quietest was the evga gtx 980 sc 2.0 cards. ( I had to go through 8 before I found a couple that were quiet.

The quiet cards were both 75% asic and can overclock to 1570 stable on air even though I don't over clock at all anymore.

Eh I'm used to it now as long it doesn't toast the cards.I just can't water cool although because then the noise would drive me crazy without all the fans lol. 

SLI EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Reference EK WB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNU4xhWA88k
Acer X34 Gsync
16464 FS Extreme:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5638585

sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/17 21:49:53 (permalink)
Wookie, you really had coil whine with the GTX 980 Classified? 

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

DirtySouthWookie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 01:53:50 (permalink)
Yep. I had the classifieds for about 1/2 a day.I spent about 2 k thinking it had to be something on my end and replaced everything but the ram and cpu. I put them on a evga z87 ftw board with evga 1000w psu (all new) and the noise was still there.

So I took everything back and just went with the 980 ACX 2.0s back on my older stuff because they tested out not to be the problem.

SLI EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Reference EK WB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNU4xhWA88k
Acer X34 Gsync
16464 FS Extreme:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5638585

sahafiec
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1344
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 02:05:29 (permalink)
that's wired, never heard a CW issue on the GTX 980 Classified before.
it seems to me this issue has nothing to do with component quality at.
so what then? design issue or what is this all about!?

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 03:09:09 (permalink)
DirtySouthWookie
_Nite_
DirtySouthWookie

Eh I'm used to it now as long it doesn't toast the cards.I just can't water cool although because then the noise would drive me crazy without all the fans lol. 

lol nah it won't toast the cards, but it does require a bit of patience, eventually the coil whine will disappear as you use them, I've had my share of coil whine cards to and eventully the noise disappeared once they have broken in. I never bothered to RMA/return just for that since manufacturers can't garantee you get a replacement without the noise which is why ya wen't through 14 of them
post edited by _Nite_ - 2014/12/18 03:12:56

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

dave851
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1696
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 04:14:15 (permalink)
sahafiec

Coil whine tends to happen more the people realize its just this whine is not always within the human hearing range or is very quiet. There are ways to combat this by design, but sometimes the changes are just not reasonable to make. Component selection can definitely help, but can not always eliminate noise. Coil whine is a combination of the switching frequency of the current passing though it being within the human hearing range and enough current to become audibly loud. 

This is not a simple topic at all, and at the end of the day coil whine is something that can not always be removed without a cost that is higher then companies believe its worth. 

Now let me go put on my fire resistance suit. I will also deny that high fps is a cause of coil whine. Its more about the current load, which can be high for a number of reasons. High fps does not always cause coil whine and coil whine can happen at low fps. 

Correlation does not imply causation. Here is a link about how the number of people that died by becoming entangled in there bed-sheets correlates to the how much money US ski facility's made
mayne92
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 07:25:35 (permalink)
Yes
mayne92
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 07:54:36 (permalink)
dave851
sahafiec

Coil whine tends to happen more the people realize its just this whine is not always within the human hearing range or is very quiet. There are ways to combat this by design, but sometimes the changes are just not reasonable to make. Component selection can definitely help, but can not always eliminate noise. Coil whine is a combination of the switching frequency of the current passing though it being within the human hearing range and enough current to become audibly loud. 

This is not a simple topic at all, and at the end of the day coil whine is something that can not always be removed without a cost that is higher then companies believe its worth. 

Now let me go put on my fire resistance suit. I will also deny that high fps is a cause of coil whine. Its more about the current load, which can be high for a number of reasons. High fps does not always cause coil whine and coil whine can happen at low fps. 

Correlation does not imply causation.. 

Yes it does happen a lot. I'm "gifted" with being able to hear very high frequencies (e.g. bought two Logitech G500s and both have 'whine'. I can also can hear when a TV is on in another room just by the electronic high-pitched noise they emit. I have learned to deal.). However, the EVGA 970 FTW's whine is so loud it is almost nauseating (EDIT: not even a very high pitched sound but comparable to, say, GPU fans running at 100% and yes, I can tell the difference :-P ). Just saying.

"I will also deny that high fps is a cause of coil whine...". I have not done any sensor monitoring but sitting at the Watch Dogs MAIN SCREEN causes coil whine but actually playing the game doesn't produce it, even after an hour of playing - yet running Furmark always sounds off the coil whine. I have NOT heard it while actually playing a game yet (e.g. Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 - highest settings). Odd that there would be more "load" at a main menu screen but not while actually playing. (and NO, the coil whine did not disappear as I can reproduce these scenarios over-and-over). I let the fps run amok in Counter Strike Source (299 fps max) and hear no coil whine. Not every system/card is the same I know but just saying.

**EDIT: Elaborated that my coil whine is not even a very high-pitched sound**
post edited by mayne92 - 2014/12/18 07:58:33
sates62
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 09:20:01 (permalink)
No. GTX 980 ACX 2.0
dave851
FTW Member
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 10:17:00 (permalink)
mayne92

Yes it does happen a lot. I'm "gifted" with being able to hear very high frequencies (e.g. bought two Logitech G500s and both have 'whine'. I can also can hear when a TV is on in another room just by the electronic high-pitched noise they emit. I have learned to deal.). However, the EVGA 970 FTW's whine is so loud it is almost nauseating (EDIT: not even a very high pitched sound but comparable to, say, GPU fans running at 100% and yes, I can tell the difference :-P ). Just saying.

"I will also deny that high fps is a cause of coil whine...". I have not done any sensor monitoring but sitting at the Watch Dogs MAIN SCREEN causes coil whine but actually playing the game doesn't produce it, even after an hour of playing - yet running Furmark always sounds off the coil whine. I have NOT heard it while actually playing a game yet (e.g. Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 - highest settings). Odd that there would be more "load" at a main menu screen but not while actually playing. (and NO, the coil whine did not disappear as I can reproduce these scenarios over-and-over). I let the fps run amok in Counter Strike Source (299 fps max) and hear no coil whine. Not every system/card is the same I know but just saying.

Coil whine doesn't have to be high pitched, it can even something like 100hz hum. Its just high pitched because that the frequency that's they are switching at. 

Also I intentionally picked my words carefully, I didn't say higher current load. There may be multiple harmonics that will create coil whine as you move though them. It could be that menu screens are  sitting in one of those harmonic bands. All I'm trying to get across here is that this is a electromagnetic property that is separate from fps. There may be a correlation but its not causation. Why limiting fps works is that it changes the load, so that you may be able to escape the harmonic band. Also lower currents can make it quieter, unless you hit a resonate frequency, which can be very loud. There's a lot of factors down to how the coil itself it wound, its why it varies from card to card. 
dave851
FTW Member
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 10:17:00 (permalink)
Double post . Internet here's been acting up since the snowstorm and they haven't fixed it yet. 
mayne92
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 10:54:01 (permalink)
dave851
mayne92

Coil whine doesn't have to be high pitched, it can even something like 100hz hum. Its just high pitched because that the frequency that's they are switching at. 

Also I intentionally picked my words carefully, I didn't say higher current load. There may be multiple harmonics that will create coil whine as you move though them. It could be that menu screens are  sitting in one of those harmonic bands. All I'm trying to get across here is that this is a electromagnetic property that is separate from fps. There may be a correlation but its not causation. Why limiting fps works is that it changes the load, so that you may be able to escape the harmonic band. Also lower currents can make it quieter, unless you hit a resonate frequency, which can be very loud. There's a lot of factors down to how the coil itself it wound, its why it varies from card to card. 

Thanks for elaborating Dave!
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 14:03:36 (permalink)
sadly it seems my new step-up 970 FTW that I just got today has coil whine under load.  While I'm alt tabbed out of Dota 2 it doesn't do the whine noise.. moment I tab back in..boom.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
mosi95
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 14:42:52 (permalink)
I was running Valley for about 2 time 12 hours in the last few days, but it changed nothing with the coil whine :/ Reading about all these problems, I am thinking about sending it back and get a GTX 780 or 780 TI...
post edited by mosi95 - 2014/12/18 15:34:14
_Nite_
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 14:49:49 (permalink)
mosi95
I was running Valley for about 2 time 12 hours in the last few days, but it changed nothing :/ Reading about all these problems, I am thinking about sending it back and get a GTX 780 or 780 TI...

I love that benchmark thats what I use to stress test my GPU's as well.

Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 17:12:21 (permalink)
Yeah looks like I'll be RMA'ing my 970 FTW. This coil whine/weird almost grinding noise is nuts. When I'm idle or on the forums..its fine when I put it under load and the fans come on...the noise starts instantly.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/18 18:32:13 (permalink)
No coil whine on a pair of 980 Classifieds.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
TommyLai
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/22 12:42:33 (permalink)
My coil whine has gone down significantly after benching it for a few days. I make sure the card stay at very high temperate (80c), I think the proper way to bake the card is to make sure it runs hot and no air flow. 
macmall
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/22 21:50:06 (permalink)
Zero....on either of my ref 980's axc 2.0's. Guess I'm lucky!

Edit: Nope, I have coil wine....I just tried Metro and these things squeal like a pig lol Guess I'll try and break them in and see if it helps. Didn't notice it at first cause I was just playing wow and it doesn't get over 42c, when that GPU kicks on its starts up.....damn.
post edited by macmall - 2014/12/22 23:32:51
Joacpro
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 05:38:22 (permalink)
I feel quite lucky too...no whining here.

enacku
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 07:31:41 (permalink)
Everyone has coil whine, you can't escape it, and no one has proven they don't have coil whine. No one has provided a video showing them running unigine benchmark while holding their camera near the card.

[Corsair 500r] [Corsair H100i] [i5-4670k@4.6ghz] [ASRock Z87 Extreme 3] [G.Skill 16gb 1866mhz] [GTX 1070 FTW 2077mhz] [Kingston v300 240gb] [Raidmax Vampire 1000w gold]
floorpizza
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 07:47:43 (permalink)
No.

Just received my 04G-P4-2976-KR (which appears to be an update/refresh of the 04G-2972-KR) yesterday, and zero coil whine, even at very high fps. For those who don't want to look it up, the card is a GTX 970 ACX 2.0, nVidia reference specs.

MSI x570 MEG ACE
AMD 3900x
EVGA 2080 FTW
32g Micron E-Die
2, 1t Corsair PCI Gen IV NVMe in RAID 0
Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans
Corsair Obsidian 750D case

ginko147
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 08:05:50 (permalink)
No coil whine on my freshy 980 classified.
zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 08:23:18 (permalink)
No coil whine on my 3 week old 980 SC ACX 2.0...  I'm receiving another one today for sli so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one won't be a whiner either.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

mosi95
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 09:17:17 (permalink)
Today I received my 2. 970 FTW and it whines at low fps too :( I am going to do a burn-in again and hope it will fade.
Short question to the 970 FTW owners: Which revision is your card? Both of mine are A1.
ferdy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Poll, who has coil whine? 2014/12/23 10:48:26 (permalink)
i had coil whine on my gtx 780 ftw went away after half a year and a new psu.
my new gtx 980 classi does not have it

one shot a head of the competition

my rig:    
Evga Z590 FTW wifi
Intel core I9 11900k @stock
EK 240 Slim watercooling
1 radiator Ek P360 and 1 radiator Ek S240
Corsair Vengance rgb pro 32G 3200 mhz @3200 
EVGA RTX 2080ti Black gaming edition  @stock      Samsung 970 evo 250G nvme  for os                 Samsung 840 evo 1T ssd for games
Samsung 840 evo 500G ssd for downloads ans sh!t
Lian-li sp750 W
Lian-li 011 dynamic mini 
O.S. Windows 10 pro 64b

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile