EVGA

Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy devs..

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 17:23:46 (permalink)
boredgunner
candle_86

well honestly side scrollers where better in the 90's and late 80's

You'd know better than me, since I don't play sidescrollers.  I had RPGs in mind when I wrote that post: a number of people think that all RPGs should be isometric 2.5D only, not realizing 2.5D was only used due to technological limitation in the 90s.  Some even go as far as wanting the extremely old clunky UI's and unvoiced NPCs.  I don't think there should be anymore 2D/2.5D RPGs in the 21st century.

that I can agree with, I fired up Shining Force the other day, while still fun, its certainly not anywhere near as fun as KOTOR or Skyrim lol.
cneuhauser
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 18:18:01 (permalink)
boredgunner
It's just you, and others who can't see or appreciate what goes into games (and can't see what's missing in others).  Or perhaps you actually just missed the great games this year; the ones created with a sense of pride, the ones that really follow the creators' vision, the ones that are both innovative and creative.  2014 was a hell of a lot better than 2013.  

Dragon Age: Inquisition is easily the most ambitious game ever made, like it or not.  That is an objective statement.  It raises the bar just because of what it set out to do: what other games have attempted to bring together a massive, highly detailed, and highly interactive and divergent multi-regional open world design (that changes based on the player's interaction and choice) with strong story/character focus, a branching plot based on player choice, really dynamic character development based on the player's actions and dialogue choices, tactical party-based gameplay with at least some diversity (4 playstyles, all of which are balanced quite well), and micromanaging for even more gameplay diversity?  It has perhaps more dialogue than any other game, and despite being story-driven it can easily last over 100 hours.  Nothing else comes close.  This is one of few examples of an AAA studio actually using its budget to improve and expand upon the game, opposed to just spending it on voice actors and marketing (so EA did a surprisingly good job budgeting).  It's not flawless or anything, but if other studios had the same scope then gaming would be in a much better place.

In terms of indie games, we got Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, The Walking Dead: Season Two, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.  All of these show innovation, creativity, while Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin demonstrate a scale/scope that we rarely ever see in indie games (both are 60+ hour RPGs, Wasteland 2 in particular can play out in so many different ways).  I could go into detail about how each of these titles are innovative and well executed if you want.  

rjohnson11
I like first person shooters and there is really not enough of those.

Sarcasm?  FPS is the most polluted genre. 

blacksapphire08
2014 was pretty meh but I think 2015 will be better with titles like The Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 coming out. Fingers crossed.

I think those are two games responsible for donta's criticism (mostly the latter).  Just Cause 3 will just be another big open world game about destruction and meaningless violence, no?  Where is the innovation in that?  What's the purpose? 

The Witcher games have always been responsible for killing the RPG genre by taking away RPG elements and making the existing RPG elements extremely shallow.  They have shrunken scopes, little to no ambition, and no innovation, whether you like them or not.  Please point out ways in which the first two Witcher games are innovative.

The Witcher 2 just has the most basic hack and slash button mashing combat with only one playstyle, and although the writing is good, it doesn't demonstrate the kind of interactive plot and character development that story-driven RPGs are supposed to have (like Bioware, Obsidian, InXile, and Interplay/Black Isle RPGs).  Let's not forget how linear and generic the environments of the first two Witcher games are.  They're full of invisible walls, and just seem to be quickly thrown together by one person, not being carefully crafted with the attention to detail seen in other games.  The side quests of these games are the most basic, pointless fetch quests, so really the only thing to do is advance from point A to point B through the plot, and The Witcher 2 only branches out into two main paths really.

The Witcher 3 will at least be open world instead of extremely linear like its predecessors, but that just makes it another open world action game.  I do expect that the open world will at least be better than the likes of Just Cause 2, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 3, and Far Cry 4, since those games are just about playing in a sandbox, driving vehicles off of cliffs, and blowing things up.

All eyes should instead focus on Torment: Tides of Numenera, SOMA, and maybe Pillars of Eternity for 2015.  There isn't any innovation in Pillars of Eternity though, since it looks identical to a late 90s cRPG, but it should at least be competent, well-written, and diverse. 

Wow...more man love for this guy and everything he said. BTW, I'm current playing, and addicted to Divinity Original Sin; this game takes a few hours to get into, but man does it deliver on so many levels. I didn't think I'd like the old style strategy play in combat, but it's actually made me a huge fan; now I'm not a fan of real time. The game is tough, a great story, and lots to do. I have Inquisition waiting in the wings while it's patched etc.

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
Windows 10 Ultimate  
EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 18:27:49 (permalink)
Agreed, if I want to play Temple of Elemental Evi, Daggerfall, Ultima Underworld, Return to Zork, I can just fire them up with some work, or spend 2-5$ on sale from gog.com and yes i do still enjoy those.  I can understand going old school for a reason, like a sequel to an RPG, continue the story and keep some of the old school feel, I get that, but otherwise, I would like to see more games (aside form the current trendy FPS) use the horsepower I have in my system, and have something that looks good as well as plays well.
I do dig the isometric 2.5D feel, but there are better options for it, I know it is outdated now too, but the game that pops into my mind for perspective is Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, it was a similar view, but could be pivoted to any angle you want as well as zoom control.

There have been some really great game releases, but I think the industry is so saturated with military shooters, or 90's sprite games that we seem to miss some of the good ones.  I have been in the Alpha, and have definitely enjoyed it, I am really looking forward to War for the Overworld, basically the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper and using a lot of the old dev team from it.  I keep meaning to check out Wasteland 2 just haven't gotten around to it.

I see both sides, Bored is right there are some wonderfully done games out there currently, but for those 50 games from the last 18 months on Steam that were really great, you have 150,000 that just sucked.
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 19:31:32 (permalink)
It's not just rts, but tbs will do it as well. As far as games that do better on PC. FPS, RTS, TBS, RTT, RPG, Simulation, and Arcade air combat. Console wins for side scrolling and sports games. Driving is fairly equal as are board games and card games
boredgunner
Over 9000!
  • Total Posts : 19181
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 19:31:41 (permalink)
cneuhauser

Wow...more man love for this guy and everything he said. BTW, I'm current playing, and addicted to Divinity Original Sin; this game takes a few hours to get into, but man does it deliver on so many levels. I didn't think I'd like the old style strategy play in combat, but it's actually made me a huge fan; now I'm not a fan of real time. The game is tough, a great story, and lots to do. I have Inquisition waiting in the wings while it's patched etc.

Yeah I'm waiting for patches too, specifically a walk button.  Divinity: Original Sin opened me up to turn-based gameplay as well, although pause-and-play is still my favorite.

EVGATech_DaveB
Agreed, if I want to play Temple of Elemental Evi, Daggerfall, Ultima Underworld, Return to Zork, I can just fire them up with some work, or spend 2-5$ on sale from gog.com and yes i do still enjoy those.  I can understand going old school for a reason, like a sequel to an RPG, continue the story and keep some of the old school feel, I get that, but otherwise, I would like to see more games (aside form the current trendy FPS) use the horsepower I have in my system, and have something that looks good as well as plays well.
I do dig the isometric 2.5D feel, but there are better options for it, I know it is outdated now too, but the game that pops into my mind for perspective is Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, it was a similar view, but could be pivoted to any angle you want as well as zoom control.

There have been some really great game releases, but I think the industry is so saturated with military shooters, or 90's sprite games that we seem to miss some of the good ones.  I have been in the Alpha, and have definitely enjoyed it, I am really looking forward to War for the Overworld, basically the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper and using a lot of the old dev team from it.  I keep meaning to check out Wasteland 2 just haven't gotten around to it.

I see both sides, Bored is right there are some wonderfully done games out there currently, but for those 50 games from the last 18 months on Steam that were really great, you have 150,000 that just sucked.

They could just do isometric 3D, since 2.5D is meant to emulate 3D anyway.  I like that Wasteland 2 is 3D and it's so disappointing that Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be 2.5D, since it has spectacular art design.  Imagine those environments in 3D?

I actually think 2014 is one of the better years.  Focusing strictly on the good, we got Dragon Age: Inquisition which is the most ambitious single player game, two other great RPGs in Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin (which are like the classics but have improvements in scale and mechanics), The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two which show serious advancements in the point-and-click adventure genre and also in character development, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha (but this could have been a lot better), and maybe others I haven't discovered yet (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter seems nice but I haven't played enough of it yet).  So that's 5 spectacular games, which might not seem like a lot but for my really picky tastes it is.  1998 and 2000 were the most stacked years but 2014 is still better than most other years to me.  I can't think of 5 spectacular games that came out in 1997 (Fallout?), 1999 (Planescape: Torment), 2001 (uhh... GTA 3 and Silent Hill 2? Not that I actually consider GTA 3 to be spectacular), 2002 (Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2 is probably good), 2003 (KOTOR, maybe TToE but I've barely played it), or 2004 (KOTOR 2, HL2).
post edited by boredgunner - 2014/12/17 19:37:46

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 20:54:58 (permalink)
boredgunner
cneuhauser

Yeah I'm waiting for patches too, specifically a walk button.  Divinity: Original Sin opened me up to turn-based gameplay as well, although pause-and-play is still my favorite.

EVGATech_DaveB

They could just do isometric 3D, since 2.5D is meant to emulate 3D anyway.  I like that Wasteland 2 is 3D and it's so disappointing that Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be 2.5D, since it has spectacular art design.  Imagine those environments in 3D?

I actually think 2014 is one of the better years.  Focusing strictly on the good, we got Dragon Age: Inquisition which is the most ambitious single player game, two other great RPGs in Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin (which are like the classics but have improvements in scale and mechanics), The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two which show serious advancements in the point-and-click adventure genre and also in character development, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha (but this could have been a lot better), and maybe others I haven't discovered yet (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter seems nice but I haven't played enough of it yet).  So that's 5 spectacular games, which might not seem like a lot but for my really picky tastes it is.  1998 and 2000 were the most stacked years but 2014 is still better than most other years to me.  I can't think of 5 spectacular games that came out in 1997 (Fallout?), 1999 (Planescape: Torment), 2001 (uhh... GTA 3 and Silent Hill 2? Not that I actually consider GTA 3 to be spectacular), 2002 (Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2 is probably good), 2003 (KOTOR, maybe TToE but I've barely played it), or 2004 (KOTOR 2, HL2).

Well there was alot more, but I'm gassing your not an FPS or big strategey player, because we got FarCry, Doom3, Rome Total War, Call of Duty ect during those years. I will say some games are good these days, but honestly I had alot more fun then, the games and this is subjective where just alot better. FarCry made my FX 5900XT cry and suck its thumb lol.
peteo_85
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 693
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 22:23:08 (permalink)
We dind't have expectations back in the day. If we did they were so minimal. Look at the original mario compared to donky kong country for the SNES! it was night and day! it set the stage for "this can't get any better". Yet now days we complain about ports, AA, voice acting. So much to live up to. I don't think the games have gotten worse, I feel that the AAA developers have gone backwards doing pixel art to remind us what appealed to us way back when. We expect so much out of franchise titles that we chew them up ruthlessly that only a few stand out today. I can think of 10 NES, SNES, SEGA titles that were amazing!  

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4.0GHz LGA 1150   
EVGA Z170 Stinger
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB
ZOTAC GTX 1080 Arctic Storm 
CORSAIR SFF 600W PSU
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/18 04:26:31 (permalink)
peteo_85
We dind't have expectations back in the day. If we did they were so minimal. Look at the original mario compared to donky kong country for the SNES! it was night and day! it set the stage for "this can't get any better". Yet now days we complain about ports, AA, voice acting. So much to live up to. I don't think the games have gotten worse, I feel that the AAA developers have gone backwards doing pixel art to remind us what appealed to us way back when. We expect so much out of franchise titles that we chew them up ruthlessly that only a few stand out today. I can think of 10 NES, SNES, SEGA titles that were amazing!  

Actully I had expectations then, there was alot of crap games out then. We didn't want buggy broken games, and we got alot of them then, and guess what no one remembers who what they where. My expectations are simple, the game is playable.
ARMYguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1050
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/18 05:28:59 (permalink)
warthorn
ARMYguy
I wish there was more good RTS games, that's a genre that is always dying. I also want WW2 games, so i'm really just screwed when it comes to what i can play these days, basically company of heroes and men of war.

I recently got into Sins of a Solar Empire, and wow i really like it. Wonder why i ignored it before?

Company of Heroes and Sins, two of my favorites.......... If you happen to also enjoy Star Trek stuff (or even if you don't) this is also a very high quality spin on Sins:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

lehpron's comments about the health of PC game industry and RTS: this idea has always seemed spot on to me. PCs can do many other genre's slightly better than consoles in terms of simple graphics and controls, but it really takes an RTS (and maybe some super duper complicated RPGs) to take full advantage of the mouse/keyboard, CPU overhead/memory + graphics cards, etc. Not to mention the personality type that leads someone to want to tinker and learn all the complicated details of a PC carries over easily to someone who enjoys doing the same in a game... I am often surprised by the volume of FPS fans in these and other PC forums for this reason, though I can sorta see how a lot of the military, do-it-yourself, fast-car, independent, graphics-oriented people may find appeal in a screaming desktop for completely different reasons. Always interesting.

BTW - I always think I spend a lot of time playing games, but many of you folks make it sound like you play 50+ games a year. How do you maintain jobs that pay for all the games and hardware, have friends/significant others, other interests, etc? (topic for another thread, just seems related based on the comments here)

Agree with pretty much everything on the list. I still play doom 1/2 all the time, i play it almost daily. This is because the gameplay is amazing. Quake 2 MP is still the best arena death match out there, too bad its hard to find games nowadays... Unreal Tournament was dumbed down gameplay compared to quake 2, sadly. I will check out mods, i downloaded a starwars mod for Sins and played around with it, but it suffered from crashing. Still discovering the gameplay of unmodded sins, there is so much ! Men of War assault squad 2 is another game where there is ridiculous amounts of gameplay.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/18 05:39:33 (permalink)
One thing that bothers me is the lack of any really new game innovation. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/18 14:00:14 (permalink)
Does seem to be a lot of gaffes with quality control on AAA titles recently. Then again, QC has always been an issue with the largest game studios so it's not like anything has changed there.

rjohnson11

Yeah, doesn't seem to be much of it. Then again major studios won't even spend enough time fully fleshing out a game before its release anymore, they'll just make up the content later via paid DLCs.

Have water, will cool. 
boredgunner
Over 9000!
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/18 16:48:29 (permalink)
candle_86

Well there was alot more, but I'm gassing your not an FPS or big strategey player, because we got FarCry, Doom3, Rome Total War, Call of Duty ect during those years. I will say some games are good these days, but honestly I had alot more fun then, the games and this is subjective where just alot better. FarCry made my FX 5900XT cry and suck its thumb lol.

Yeah I'm sure I forgot some.  Far Cry was 2004 as well, and I think Doom 3 was too but that game bored me since it has no substance.  The original CoD was still 2003 I think.  I excluded RTS on every list since I don't play them.  I wonder if you're just growing out of video games?

rjohnson11

Judging from your posts, it doesn't look like you're really looking for innovation in video games.  Can you list some of the games you got in 2013 and 2014? 

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/19 11:57:24 (permalink)
no not out growing them per say, just i find it harder to get sucked into them, nothing has caught my attention like Civ II, or CSS did.
fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/19 16:42:49 (permalink)
I believe the problem with today's games include the expectations for high-budget graphics.
When so much time and money are spent on a games graphics, the story and gameplay gets less attention than required.

I, like so many other gamers from my generation grew up with games on Amstrad, Wolfenstein, Day of the Tentacle and graphics have progressively been improved from this point. It reached a certain point where graphics have no extra value and games are requiring more system resources and higher spec hardware than logical. From the point of games in my youth I've also noticed the importance of story and gameplay have been progressively declining to the point nothing is really original anymore.

I admit, I've really been getting into old LucasArts games since the announcement of a rereleased Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle. There are some really good games in today's age - while not all of them appeal to my taste. I believe we've simply had a terrible year in PC gaming - the only new titles I have include South Park, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within and Watch Dogs.

I am looking forward to GTA5, Witcher 3 and Dragonball Xenoverse (and Day of the Tentacle Special Edition XD) in 2015 and we're not even in 2015 yet - so I think things will improve again. You'll notice that unlike so many others, I have yet to negatively review a game on Steam - and I've reviewed Far Cry 2 and 3, Watch dogs, Family guy and the first Witcher (It took me a second try to even like that one). People just need perspective, otherwise they can't appreciate games past their own selfish expectations.
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/20 06:18:33 (permalink)
Fubarhouse iv worked in the industry as an environment arts, and modeler... It does not take long nor is it hard for high quality/budget graphics/assets. My armor mod for Fallout New Vegas is proof to that, three days to model and days to UV, no normal map junk used... And it's quality is higher than anything Bethesda has in their games.... Many of you are being conditioned to expect less....

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
willem445
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4461
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/21 09:20:38 (permalink)
Honestly I think im pretty much done with AAA games. Im so sick of companies caring more about stopping pirates and making money then actually making a game. Most AAA games are just rehashes of the previous game and are often broken on launch. Ive had way more fun playing lesser known games such as Heros and Generals, Wareframe, Insurgency, Payday, etc.
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/21 15:59:17 (permalink)
willem445
Honestly I think im pretty much done with AAA games. Im so sick of companies caring more about stopping pirates and making money then actually making a game. Most AAA games are just rehashes of the previous game and are often broken on launch. Ive had way more fun playing lesser known games such as Heros and Generals, Wareframe, Insurgency, Payday, etc.

I know, I just got Insurgency and it much better than the yearly CoD rehash, or BF rehash. 
rsabatino
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1169
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/21 18:35:00 (permalink)
no matter what i just started building my arsenal of games thanks to steam and evga for supplying free codes with they're   products there will alway be one game i keep coming back to. its the first pc game i ever played it started me out in pc gaming even inspired me to build a pc in the first place freelancer. i must of played over 100 mods over the years swapped ideas with the freelancer community learned how to mod the game also. when ever i have a few extra hours it is always freelancer i turn too.

Operation System   Microsoft Windows 11 Pro    Processor   AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor    Memory   24.2 GB Free (31.9 GB Total)    Graphics Card   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti (8.0 GB)    Monitor   HP 32 Display (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)    Disk Storage   5240.5 GB Free of 6542.2 GB    Audio   NVIDIA High Definition Audio    Motherboard   ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. (ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI))    Mouse   Razer BlackWidow V3 Tenkeyless    Keyboard   Razer Viper

fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/21 19:37:59 (permalink)
rsabatino
no matter what i just started building my arsenal of games thanks to steam and evga for supplying free codes with they're   products there will alway be one game i keep coming back to. its the first pc game i ever played it started me out in pc gaming even inspired me to build a pc in the first place freelancer. i must of played over 100 mods over the years swapped ideas with the freelancer community learned how to mod the game also. when ever i have a few extra hours it is always freelancer i turn too.

Steam gives me security to not need any alternative. Digital licence owned for the lifetime of the account, download anytime anywhere. I've been building my collection which includes all the games from my childhood going back to Commander Keen. It's great to have them all centralised :) Much nicer interface and company than EA, and I just won't comment on Ubi's solution...
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/22 16:06:57 (permalink)
rsabatino

Freelancer was awesome, used to play it a lot with some friends, mainly using Discovery mod.  Did not care for some of the control choices, but I loved that as well.  Unfortunately my disk vanished years ago, and I am not sure where to get a new copy  :(

I have to say though, there have been some more modern games I have REALLY enjoyed too.
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/30 20:21:31 (permalink)
You know I just spent 13 hours playing SimCity 3000, I havn't spent that much time playing a single game, and forgetting to even eat in a very long time. So there we go, older is better :P
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/30 21:23:44 (permalink)
fubarhouse
rsabatino

Steam gives me security to not need any alternative. Digital licence owned for the lifetime of the account, download anytime anywhere. I've been building my collection which includes all the games from my childhood going back to Commander Keen. It's great to have them all centralised :) Much nicer interface and company than EA, and I just won't comment on Ubi's solution...

Please do, I hate UPlay as its one of the most restrictive forms of DRM ive ever seen. Ive never had any of their games work with the service. I always have to hack uplay to get my legally purchased games from Steam to work. Yes I have tried to send in a support ticket and they basically make it out that im a pirate because the key wont validate on their servers.

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/30 21:57:13 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
fubarhouse
rsabatino

Please do, I hate UPlay as its one of the most restrictive forms of DRM ive ever seen. Ive never had any of their games work with the service. I always have to hack uplay to get my legally purchased games from Steam to work. Yes I have tried to send in a support ticket and they basically make it out that im a pirate because the key wont validate on their servers.

I have never had an issue with Uplay. However, I stopped buying their games a long time ago. Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that I have completely written off. The other is Rockstar and their 3 forms of DRM for GTA series... Actually, for all their newer titles. Mark my words, GTA 5 will have Steam, Rockstar Social Club and Denuvo. 
post edited by chrisdglong - 2014/12/30 22:00:39
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 08:59:28 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
fubarhouse
rsabatino

Never had a problem with uplay, as a matter of fact I buy my Ubisoft games via uplay, same as I buy alot of games via Origin. The only time I had to make a support ticket about a uplay problem, ubisoft was fast, and they replaced the key for ACIII with a new key, and gave me the DLC for the inconvenience. Ea did the same thing with Mass Effect, instead of resetting my activations, EA simply gave me the newest edition of Mass Effect from the Trilogy with all the DLC. Valve has never been as helpful as Ubi or EA.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 10:35:20 (permalink)
boredgunner

I actually think 2014 is one of the better years.  Focusing strictly on the good, we got Dragon Age: Inquisition which is the most ambitious single player game, two other great RPGs in Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin (which are like the classics but have improvements in scale and mechanics), The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two which show serious advancements in the point-and-click adventure genre and also in character development, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha (but this could have been a lot better), and maybe others I haven't discovered yet (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter seems nice but I haven't played enough of it yet).

I was given Wasteland 2 as a Steam gift for Christmas, that game I am having a LOT of fun with.  A good sign, I need to watch the clock so I don't randomly state  "ahh &*^%$$ when did it get dark?" which I did the first day I had it.

I will be engrossed there for a while, but I am looking forward to trying some of the others you mentioned as well, as I was watching them anyway. 

If you like a party RPG in a world that makes me think of FO and has some of the humor and sarcasm form BL (not a lot, but some) I think you will enjoy this, I know I am!
boredgunner
Over 9000!
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 10:48:36 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

I was given Wasteland 2 as a Steam gift for Christmas, that game I am having a LOT of fun with.  A good sign, I need to watch the clock so I don't randomly state  "ahh &*^%$$ when did it get dark?" which I did the first day I had it.

I will be engrossed there for a while, but I am looking forward to trying some of the others you mentioned as well, as I was watching them anyway. 

If you like a party RPG in a world that makes me think of FO and has some of the humor and sarcasm form BL (not a lot, but some) I think you will enjoy this, I know I am!

Yeah it was clearly inspired by the classic Fallout games, in fact it was made by many of the same people.  I was seriously addicted to Wasteland 2 for the first 30 hours, but it loses its magic shortly after in my opinion.  It just gets monotonous and drags on, it could have been even greater. 

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 12:25:57 (permalink)
boredgunner
EVGATech_DaveB

Yeah it was clearly inspired by the classic Fallout games, in fact it was made by many of the same people.  I was seriously addicted to Wasteland 2 for the first 30 hours, but it loses its magic shortly after in my opinion.  It just gets monotonous and drags on, it could have been even greater. 

Fallout was made by the Original Wasteland team, so really Fallout is made in the memory of wasteland :P
007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1677
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 13:02:09 (permalink)
donta1979
I have noticed that most of the games this year just on the AAA area have been crap we probably had what 2-6 good game all around just on pc/console? Then the Indy devs not just this year but in general its like 99.99% of these indy devs are putting out crap, like something I would not be proud of, that is for PC/Console/Mobile... we have what maybe 10-20 exceptional indy games that are really amazing and done well. Then the rest are just face palm failures, like back in the day of Atari when these little studios basically stole other games did a copy and paste, renamed it, changed some colors and said tada we have game we are awesome we sure showed them! That led to the gaming industry in general taking a nose dive into almost full oblivion for a short time especially for consoles....  until Nintendo sparked gamers interest again saying see we care about creating a fun and cool game.

I just have seen all the games this year, lots of reading, and the steam discovery thing.... all I can say is these losers, armatures, are turning gaming into the next monster.com where you cannot see the good potential employee/product from the bad... if I was a student I would be proud of it, but these guys are putting their names on this stuff and selling it as a product, and a terrible product at that, nothing but copy paste clones, and honestly nothing to be proud of...

I just hold the standards high, have done my time in the AAA industry, put out quality mods for games on my spare time that are better done in modeling/texture quality than the original game they go into but I still make them look like they belong in that game and not from an alternate reality dimension.... It just amazes me most of these indy companies are just sad... honestly... no creativity, no innovation, no real pride in their work or craftsmanship... AAA industry suffers from that too, but the Indy world has upped the bar in that department of terrible looking, clone to a new level of unprofessional work of shenanigans...

Thanks for this thread.

They say; "Art is in the eye of the beholder" and not all of us are artists. My only connection to videos games is that I like to think of them as art. I guess art can be entertainment and why not?

I like color, composition, architecture, adventure, tools, freedom, and story...that's what I like in a video game.

I've recently started playing "The Talos Principle" and that game comes close to what I like. The only game I'm interested in this year is Far Cry 4.

FC4 is a fps, and first person is the way I like to play. There are other great games out there this year, but I won't try them because they are only third person games.

My biggest beef with the industry is why some producers can create games that have options for playing first person or third person, but the majority of producers only produce third person versions of a game that I think would be cool to try.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz
DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 13:11:07 (permalink)
You cannot find any PC games in or around our town for 60 miles.  You have to go to a Microcenter or buy online. Another problem with PC gaming is all the hackers (online).  The Companies that make the games allow or make hacks for sale. I play FPS (online) most of the time. Respawns on a lot of games are terrible. Getting New Players to keep playing in any game is hard enough without having to deal with cheaters whom discourage the New Players. I know this from experience. I first started playing games offline. Thought myself that I was fairly Good. Got online and was dying constantly. I almost went out and purchased a hack just to be competitive. If it hadn't been for a friend that got banned. I probabaly would have. At that point in time I didn't know you could get banned for hacking due to the hordes of hackers online. What happened to good old (Fair Play)?  Sorry for the rant, but I would buy more games if the hacks were deleted !!!!!!
boredgunner
Over 9000!
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/31 18:33:17 (permalink)
candle_86

Fallout was made by the Original Wasteland team, so really Fallout is made in the memory of wasteland :P

You're right, Fallout was meant to carry Wasteland's spirit although in terms of gameplay Wasteland 2 gets most of its inspiration from Fallout.  All were made by many of the same people, just under different names.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile