EVGA

Helpful ReplyWhat to Buy Now or Wait

Author
Cadred
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/12/17 16:03:15 (permalink)
I'm building a new rig based around an air-cooled x99 with i7 5820k, with sli gtx 970.  I'm not a real techie so it must work out of the box.  The research I've done scares me.  From customer reviews on Newegg, Asus has nightmare customer service issues, and both the EVGA X99 clasified/FTW boot errors are making many people very angry.  Frankly I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't boot.

I'm building for the long run.  I have the cpu and gpu.  Will purchase an x99 board, ssd, 16gb  ram, corsair hx 850 psu, sound card, wifi card,  an air cooler, and a new case.

I have a Z68 ftw, which has been a great board for me, and EVGA service is a legend.  The X99 FTW is prly good enough for me.  Can you help me build my system. 

Should I pull the trigger now on the X99 FTW, or wait til it's more stable.  I see that EVGA has put out a new bios; is that the fix for the board?  I need help with the fan.  I won't be doing OC for awhile, so do I need an oversized fan?  Is there room on the board for an oversized fan and ram too?  As to ram, what do you recommend.  EVGA's compatibility chart only lists DDR4.  Can you use DR3 to save some cash?

i currently have a 932 haf.... the case is fine, but the front panel and bracket usb haven't worked for a year, and the CM US store NEVER has them in stock.  If I can jerry rig the components to get it working again I will so I don't have to buy a case.  I've been thinking about the Corsair Cube, but do you have a case recommendation?  Nothing over $200. 

What sound cards are you using currently.  I bought a xonar for my last system, but it never worked.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.... and I thank you in advance for your help.
Boxlid
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 223
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2014/12/18 19:06:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cadred 2014/12/18 19:20:13
If you can afford a little extra, go with a decent AIO cpu water cooler, too much speed to let go to waste on cpus like these.  You must use ddr4 memory, gskill seems pretty solid for quite a few of us.  There's a soundblaster card on the classified already, don't know about the FTW but probably is.  Can't help with case, haven't used one in 5yrs, but you can probably snag one for cheap from Newegg or someplace like that.

Cadred
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2014/12/18 19:34:52 (permalink)
Thanks Box... So, what do you have your system in if you don't use a case... Sounds interesting.

Boxlid
Superclocked Member
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2014/12/18 21:26:08 (permalink)
I used a old steel typing/sewing table from the 60's.  I basically marked the hole pattern on it and JB welded the standoffs, then painted the table since it was this nasty olive green.  Power supply, drive racks, and all water cooling are housed underneath on lower levels.  I didn't see much of a point in buying a tech station when it still needed a table to sit on anyway.

Heres some of those cpu coolers, I would go for one of the 240mm or so:
http://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-Cooling/SubCategory/ID-575
post edited by Boxlid - 2014/12/18 21:37:30

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2014/12/22 11:17:44 (permalink)
I would say go for it.  Everything should post just fine, grab RAM form this list http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/ remember, the 5820 chip does not have 40 PCIE lanes so that is something to consider.  Settings may not be optimized, however, things start up and work out of the box, then you can dial and tune form there.  These forums are VERY helpful, both Customer service and Product team are active in the forums and are quick to help, also MANY users here with tons of experience are available for questions, so I say jump on it, or see what you can get for a sale price right before/after Christmas and save a little dough.  Follow the directions, and if you want, make it a build log here so you can post pics and ask questions as you go, and we can help you get everything running just right.  Honestly, once you have done it, the process of building a PC is not nearly as daunting as it sounds.
Cadred
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2015/01/01 01:20:09 (permalink)
Rant Alert.  Warning.  Rant Alert.

David, I acted on your post and am tremendously unhappy.  In fact, if I knew where you lived I'd come looking for you.  As a noob, I'm methodical, careful, and precise.  With that in mind, after I got my build together (after 2-3 x longer than it would take an experienced person) there was a flash of light and then nothing.  It didn't work, it wouldn't post, boot, say howdy or kma, or anything.  No bios code, no nothing.  There is just a red light and a white light, nothing more.  I tested each crucial ram (which is an approved ram for this board) in slot one.  Nothing.  There is nothing wrong with my cpu.  I installed it with the mark on the cpu matching the mark on the mobo and the mark on the cpu chip assembly.

I can't believe I spent all this money, all this time and effort for a big, flat flop based on your recommendation.  It DOES NOT WORK OUT OF THE BOX as you said it would.

In addition, EVGA needs to add some more usb headers on this board.  Only one is ridiculous... In fact, you have 2 marks for how to install the cpu correctly, but only 1 usb 2 header?  Come on!  I need one header for my psu and one header for my cooler unit, so WT?  I've looked all over the web and I can't find an internal adapter so I can modify this lonely little usb header to be useful.   And how about some more 3 pin ATX pwm.  Thanks EVGA for giving me all those 3 pin channel fans which I can't attach anything to without buying additional cables.  And what would those adapter cables be to attach my atx pwm to all those lovely dc fan headers?
Luckily Corsair did the work for you.  My 780T case has only two drive bays, but multiple 3 pin pwm connectors.

Lastly, when I built upon my Z68ftw, EVGA included a great visual manual which made the build go super smooth.... Why did you stop doing that?  Do you think everyone who buys your equipment is as knowledgeable as the guys on this site?  If that were the case, than no one would ask questions in the forums, would they.

I accept that many, if not all of my issues are noobly related, but that doesn't make it right.

Geforce GTX 970 ftw x 1
I7 5820k cpu
x99 ftw mobo
Corsair HX 850i psu
Corsair H100i cooler
Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000)
Corsair 780T Graphite case

Boxlid
Superclocked Member
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2015/01/01 02:23:16 (permalink)
Get rid of that psu seriously, every one of the boards that has been destroyed was with corsair psu's with the software overload protection.  It's not just EVGA, the other companies out there are having the same issues with them, with Asus being the first to catch the problem.  The issue basically arises with the cpu drawing too much power during the initial startup, before the software overload protection is in effect.  The plus side is if you upgrade the psu, no more usb issue.  Keep cool, delay of game but it'll work out in the end 
post edited by Boxlid - 2015/01/01 02:32:24

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2015/01/01 07:17:37 (permalink)
Sorry to hear you're having trouble OP.  Not sure if I would go ahead and say something silly about a EVGA Tech trying to help you out but I am going to take it as being sarcastic.

For the record, the PSU's involved in some of the MB blowouts but only suspected it could possibly be the culprit were the AXi series from my understanding unless the same firmware upgrade was done later on, on the HXi series so I am not sure its the same story here.

There is a NZXT USB extender out there if you need USB 2.0 headers.  I have one myself and has been working great for years.  I obviously have the same issue in this case as well but with the extender I am able to have my USB 2.0 on the case and Corsair Link Mini all connected to the extender while having room for one more.

Hope this helps your USB issues, hope your CPU and RAM are ok and hoping the flash you saw was just the LEDs on the MB and not a actual MB blowout like I experienced.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Cadred
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2015/01/04 02:10:44 (permalink)
Thank you both.  And I thank David for helping me.  As I alerted everyone..... Rant Alert.  I love EVGA, that's why I buy their products.  Part of my rant was based on an EVGA offshore tech saying my gtx970 ftw gpu could be used on my z68 ftw.  Being a total tech noob, I bought the 970 on that recommendation, and installed it on my Z68 board.  My frame rates went from 90-100 fps to 13 in sli.  After reinstalling software my fps is now only 60.  It also fluctuates between 13 and 60.

Now, after two days away from my rig build, I have to say that the problems I encountered have made me more informed and have educated me about how to build a good pc.  The issues I have encountered caused me to research and learn, which is always a positive.  In fact, the problems I have identified with this build have made me aware of how to test my components, which I never would have known with a flawless out of the box install.

I think Box got it right.. I wanted to work and play on this supercharged system right away, but found that learning patience is a price above gold.

Thanks to you both, and to David, thank you for giving me this excellent learning experience... to the offshore guy... meh.
post edited by Cadred - 2015/01/04 02:13:01
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: What to Buy Now or Wait 2015/01/04 08:40:31 (permalink)
Cadred
I'm building a new rig based around an air-cooled x99 with i7 5820k, with sli gtx 970.  I'm not a real techie so it must work out of the box.  The research I've done scares me.  From customer reviews on Newegg, Asus has nightmare customer service issues, and both the EVGA X99 clasified/FTW boot errors are making many people very angry.  Frankly I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't boot.

I'm building for the long run.  I have the cpu and gpu.  Will purchase an x99 board, ssd, 16gb  ram, corsair hx 850 psu, sound card, wifi card,  an air cooler, and a new case.

I have a Z68 ftw, which has been a great board for me, and EVGA service is a legend.  The X99 FTW is prly good enough for me.  Can you help me build my system. 

Should I pull the trigger now on the X99 FTW, or wait til it's more stable.  I see that EVGA has put out a new bios; is that the fix for the board?  I need help with the fan.  I won't be doing OC for awhile, so do I need an oversized fan?  Is there room on the board for an oversized fan and ram too?  As to ram, what do you recommend.  EVGA's compatibility chart only lists DDR4.  Can you use DR3 to save some cash?

i currently have a 932 haf.... the case is fine, but the front panel and bracket usb haven't worked for a year, and the CM US store NEVER has them in stock.  If I can jerry rig the components to get it working again I will so I don't have to buy a case.  I've been thinking about the Corsair Cube, but do you have a case recommendation?  Nothing over $200. 

What sound cards are you using currently.  I bought a xonar for my last system, but it never worked.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.... and I thank you in advance for your help.

OK...let me share some info:

Asus support isn't all that bad.   Not on the level of EVGA, but they aren't all that bad.  I have the Asus X99-A and had a few questions about overclocking.  The tech walked me through step by step and had me where I wanted to be in a matter of minutes.  Really a good situation.

I have the HX850 PSU...and so far, it is very good.  Ran my z77 system for a two years, before I replaced with the x99.  Solid performance...one of the best rated of all time.  All the blow outs were with another series of Corsair PSU's.

I have 16 GB of GSkill DDR4-2400 and it performs really well on this platform.  Worth a look.  My CPU cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper EVO 212 and it keeps the chip pretty cool.  I use a pretty aggressive fan profile in my bios, so if the chip reaches 60C, it runs at 100%.  Right now...idle is around 28-32C and under Prime 95...I have see around 62-64C as the hottest I get.  So with 100% load...still keeps pretty cool.  My sound card is a SoundBlaster Z.  However, early on in the development of the bios for Asus boards, they fixed an issue that was problematic for the Xonar's.  You should be OK with that

I have read posts here that with the correct bios settings...the Xonar is workable on the X99 FTW as well.  I would double check that fact...think you end up a winner with either Asus or EVGA at this point. 

Also, don't be afraid to look into EVGA PSU's as well.  Better price point than Corsair and Warrantee's are comparable or better.  At the 850W level...the 850 G2 has a better warrantee than Corsair (10 yrs vs 7 for Corsair) and just as reliable.  For the money you would spend on the Corsair, you could jump into the 1000-1200W from EVGA.  Check ratings here:  http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

My next PSU is going to definitely be EVGA.

post edited by bobmitch - 2015/01/04 08:47:38

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile