EVGA

Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger

Author
majorstar
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/28 10:55:02 (permalink)
Hi, I just built a new PC with the Z87 Stinger MB. Everything works great except that my front panel USB 3.0 ports are not recognizing devices I plug in. The devices are getting power from the ports, but get no recognition in Windows 7 when they're plugged in. The rear USB 3.0 ports work fine. The USB 3.0 Hdr ports are enabled (and hence apparently recognized) in the BIOS, which has been updated to the latest version, and there's nothing amiss in Device Manager to my knowledge.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I've scoured the internet for similar issues but nothing seems on point.

8 Replies Related Threads

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/11/29 03:21:35 (permalink)
    First, is the motherboard up-to-date?

Second, is the BIOS at all defaults, or have you made some changes in the BIOS?

Lastly, have you tried using the additional USB 3.0 brackets that came with the motherboard?  It plugs into the USB 3.0 slot on the board and provides an additional 2 USB 3.0's, instead of using your case's front panel connectors.  It may not be a bad idea to test with that, as it's possible it could be an issue on your case's end.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    majorstar
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/11/29 06:21:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, NordicJedi. The motherboard is up to date as I downloaded and installed all the latest drivers and BIOS. As to the BIOS, I only disabled the onboard graphics as I have a graphics card installed. The rest of the settings are default.

The Stinger didn't come with the additional USB brackets -- at least mine didn't -- so I can't do the test you recommend. I was going to buy a USB 3.0 adapter from Amazon to perform just such a test, but I haven't done that yet.

I realize this could be either a software or hardware issue, and I was posting here in order to solicit any insight into whether there's something in the BIOS or the MB drivers that might be causing this. Just perusing this forum, I could find no evidence of a problem, so it isn't something common. Also, I've read a lot of customer reviews of my case and there isn't anything symptomatic there either. The MB and case are mITX and the cabling is very tight. One case I read about online was ultimately solved by unplugging and replugging the MB connection, so there's that. Due to the congested nature of the case I can't perform that without dismantling the computer substantially so I wanted to eliminate software issues before I proceed to the hardware tests. As I wrote above, the USB devices plugged into the front ports are getting power, so I thought that was some evidence that the connections were good. But maybe not, you just never know until you can fully test it.
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/01 07:57:46 (permalink)
    Dear majorstar,
    I am facing pretty much the same issue with the Z87 Classi, i am happy that one port works.
    The differance in my set up though, is that the front USB ports are connected to USB 3.0 rear ports, with
    approriate cable. ( CoolerMaster X). Both ports are powered correctly, but only one is recognized by OS, i have a nice LED lamp on the
    outher socket.     I end up updating to all Bios ies availliable, corrently running 1.09 but the issue remains.
    Another EVGA's Z87 mystery   
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/01 08:07:08 (permalink)
    Dear majorstar,
    DO You getting strange beeps whille booting through 9C or 9D Post Code before you finally hear
    the propper full post beep? I am getting a feelling tha we are a hardware issue. I never RMA.
    majorstar
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/01 11:29:32 (permalink)
    athanassisos, I don't get beeps because I don't have a PC speaker. Bootup is all silent for me.

I've ordered the USB 3.0 adapter I mentioned above so I can ascertain whether it's the MB or the case. I too suspect some sort of hardware issue given the lack of response here concerning any software glitch. I only hope it's a loose cable on my end rather than a defect in a part. I'll post again once I get more insight into my issue.
    athanassiosmakriniotis
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/01 21:26:15 (permalink)
    Dear majorstar,
    Stinger has no on- board beep speaker?
    I guess You getting a completelly silent boot maybe because you selected so within
    bios settings. there is a quite boot option. Try disabling this feature and investigate,
     My Z87 Classi had many issues, out of the box,  Bios 1.05 was completelly crappy,
    i finnally manage to sort many issues with 1.09 Version. I use to be an Evga Fanatic, until now, [sorry EVGA, NEVER AGAIN],
    i' ve built 4 EVGA PC's, Various platforms, from nvidia chipset, to x58 hosting the 6 core Extreme INTEL CPU, meanning
    no cheap builts, until now the Z87 built,
     this is the forth classi running allways 4SLI , belive me there was not a single board  to
    run with no Bios issues, i guess, is an Evga Tradition to make,all us, Evga motherboard owners frustrated,
    and many times ungry about our mobo selection for our builts. It is obvious even within forum, having us
    begging, yes begging, for a desent Bios for our valuable hardware.
    It is high time that EVGA pays some attention to final users.

majorstar
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/02 06:01:38 (permalink)
    athanassios, this is my first mITX build and there's no PC speaker in the case nor a speaker header on the MB. I'm guessing the mITX spec doesn't provide for that. I do see the quiet boot option... perhaps there's a speaker on the MB itself and that option disabled it? I'll check it out.

I hear what you're saying but if there were a common problem with the USB on the MBs I'm sure we'd see some evidence of it here which we don't. And until I can pinpoint the problem I'll resist blaming the MB as the culprit. This is my second EVGA MB and I was very pleased with my first one which had no issues whatsoever. We'll see.
    Zizu32
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Front panel USB 3.0 ports not working on Z87 Stinger 2014/12/06 06:34:54 (permalink)
    I had simmilar issue with my Stinger. I've tried many things and what helped me... was reinstalling Win 8.1. Since then everything worked well ;)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile