EVGA

RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws?

Author
grassemoney231
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/18 12:19:58 (permalink)
Hey guys,

I had to RMA my GTX 770 Classified last week week. About two months ago, I purchased a backplate from EVGA. It came with a set of screws so obviously, I used those instead of the old ones which i disposed of. Now, since I RMA the card, I removed the backplate and put the backplate screws into the card and mailed it. 

Now I asked EVGA what type of screws they used and this is their reply:

"Hello, 

Unfortunately you would not be able to purchase the screws needed to attach the backplate to the video card from any general hardware store. If you need a set of replacement screws, they will be $10+5 s/h. Please let us know if you would like a set. If you have any concerns or further questions please contact Tech Support 24/7 888-881-3842."

If this for real? 

ANY help would be appreciated. 

17 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/18 12:35:34 (permalink)
    That might be true. If the screws are a special size then you won't find them anywhere else.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

grassemoney231
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/18 14:30:12 (permalink)
    I just cant understand they would charge $15 for a set of screws. it blows my mind you cant even buy them at the hardware store. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/18 14:39:36 (permalink)
    It would be in the best interest to always maintain all original hardware until you get rid of the cards by sale or other means.

As far as the price, screws can be very expensive. They do, usually, come with locktite applied and ready to go. They are only charging $10 though, because a lot of the pre-ordered mailing envelopes like they would use are $5, which seems unfair, but it is the cost of doing business.

Sorry that you are frustrated by this, but it is always noted to only send the card back with original hardware and to remove all accessories. If you used the backplate screws and toss the original screws (I have 5 baggies of the originals in my desk, for every card with a backplate) then RMA, they are going to replace the backplate screws with the original ones so they don't get blamed for the parts being loose when they return to the user.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/18 20:42:25 (permalink)

Always keep all accessories just in cases like this. I keep the box of my products until the warranty has expired. I keep all the accessories too. If I for example went to Fry's, and tried to return a product that was missing parts, they would tell me I can't return it. I think Evga is being more than fair. Lesson learned.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    vincinator44
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/19 07:12:37 (permalink)
    Asus, Gigabyte and MSI would have voided the warranty and returned the faulty card back. $10-$15 is a small price for a working card.

On the other hand you can just spam the forums with lies,hate and misinformation and maybe they won't charge you and send you a bonus x79 dark.
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/20 13:47:06 (permalink)
    grassemoney231
    I just cant understand they would charge $15 for a set of screws. it blows my mind you cant even buy them at the hardware store. 

Hello grassemoney231,

I do apologize for any confusion.  If you are missing hardware from your product, in an effort to support you, there are services fees for the replacement of the parts and shipping them to you.  Our product warranty does not cover replacement of misplaced or lost items.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will kindly continue to assist you.

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/27 05:40:48 (permalink)
    EVGA is just sticking it to customers when they can. They know you won't be able to find them at local hardware store. They need to do like Corsair and adjust the price.

Corsair Hydro series fan mounting screw kit
    old price $15
    new price $5 (only after customers complained)

You don't stick it to customers on petty stuff like screws that cost you like 30 cents for a whole package. That's the kind of stuff customers tend to remember and can cost you sales down the road.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/11/27 06:03:07 (permalink)
    MSim
    EVGA is just sticking it to customers when they can. They know you won't be able to find them at local hardware store. They need to do like Corsair and adjust the price.

old price $15

You don't stick it to customers on petty stuff like screws that cost you like 30 cents for a whole package. That's the kind of stuff customers tend to remember and can cost you sales down the road.

I have to ask in a civil manner.. do you come here just to complain and bash EVGA?  I am very curious, as this is all I see.  He better be glad it wasn't a company that would have voided his warranty for taking the card apart, even if it were just for the back plate. I have been disappointed in some things they do, as anyone could be, but I don't think I have ever seen anything positive from you at all.  Just curious.  Either way, it doesn't have any effect on me, it is just curiosity.

Let me quote the on that is having the issue.. only the bold matters.. 
    grassemoney231
    Hey guys,

I had to RMA my GTX 770 Classified last week week. About two months ago, I purchased a backplate from EVGA. It came with a set of screws so obviously, I used those instead of the old ones which i disposed of. Now, since I RMA the card, I removed the backplate and put the backplate screws into the card and mailed it. 

Do you think he read step 1?

That awkward moment where this whole thing could have been avoided by reading step 1... but.. I mean... why not dispose of them?  We are man!!! Who needs instructions that save you money anyway?
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/11/27 06:23:44
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/03 07:49:17 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    MSim

old price $15

I have to ask in a civil manner.. do you come here just to complain and bash EVGA?  I am very curious, as this is all I see.  He better be glad it wasn't a company that would have voided his warranty for taking the card apart, even if it were just for the back plate. I have been disappointed in some things they do, as anyone could be, but I don't think I have ever seen anything positive from you at all.  Just curious.  Either way, it doesn't have any effect on me, it is just curiosity.

Let me quote the on that is having the issue.. only the bold matters.. 
    grassemoney231
    Hey guys,

Do you think he read step 1?

That awkward moment where this whole thing could have been avoided by reading step 1... but.. I mean... why not dispose of them?  We are man!!! Who needs instructions that save you money anyway?

I just agreed with the customer that the price of a set of made in china screws are over priced. Other companies that charge way too much for a set of screws changed the price after customers posted they thought the price way too high. 

If you don't like me agreeing with other customers. Feel free to use the ignore member button. It won't bother me at all if you do.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/03 13:49:15 (permalink)
    MSim

I just agreed with the customer that the price of a set of made in china screws are over priced. Other companies that charge way too much for a set of screws changed the price after customers posted they thought the price way too high. 

If you don't like me agreeing with other customers. Feel free to use the ignore member button. It won't bother me at all if you do.

I don't ignore anyone. Like I said, it was a just a question.

Like I said, this comment would be completely avoided, of people read step 1. I don't complain when I do something stupid, ignore the obvious, and risk losing my warranty. I just accept what I did as my fault instead of trying to blame the company.

This isn't anywhere near as close as the motherboard forum, where you agreed with the guy that busted his motherboard while removing it, and then tried to claim that EVGA was charging him for a bent pin, when the truth was the corner of his board was missing, but same concept. Both situations could have been avoided if they didn't try to blame the company for their mistakes.

$16 after shipping is much cheaper than them refusing to accept the card and then voiding the warranty.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/12/03 13:51:28
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/03 17:09:57 (permalink)
    The guy with busted motherboard only posted images of the cpu socket at first if i remember correctly. He then posted images that evga took and it looked like the damaged to socket happened in route or from careless evga tech. Later he said evga was going to work with him then they went back on their word because he didn't jump and edit a post as fast as evga wanted. A lot of us have worked with people in the past that wouldn't admit to causing damage to a product. They would have no problems saying "it came like that".

The $16 screws is cheaper than having to buy a new card. No one would disagree with you on that point.

I tend to say what i think. If i see older forums member (by join date) attacking or arguing with a new members that posted a concern or complaint. I try to help the new member out if i agree with what they have to say. We all have our opinions.

new2019
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1290
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/05 06:44:10 (permalink)
    Everyone must understand that MSim is a person who supports the customers/fellow member rather than driving them down hill .

I see many people around here cover evga arse , thats true . When someone starts complaining about evga they start to plug in and say bla bla bla then finally put the fault at the customer .  May be they are affected by sponsors and deals they get from evga , I see evga is better than those people .

EVGA SR2 | X5650 | X5650 | Corsair Dominator |

painis4thaweak
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/05 07:53:50 (permalink)
    +1 on the above-implied "Fanboy-ism" that is present in these forums.

On the other hand - In all honesty, I've had no issues, personally, from EVGA to-date. I hope it remains that way.
    However, if proper business practices, RMA support channels, or product quality decreases, or the "added benefit" of purchasing EVGA goods ceases to be, then my money, and affiliation, goes elsewhere. One bad experience, without the effort of correcting it, is plenty (for me), and it continues to be my own personal standard when interfacing with companies/businesses.
    "Some one else will almost always offer what you need."

But back to topic, I also agree that $10 USD is too much for 8 screws, regardless of who made/sells them. Shipping could likely be done via USPS First Class, unless against business policy.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/05 13:53:36 (permalink)
    MSim
    The guy with busted motherboard only posted images of the cpu socket at first if i remember correctly. He then posted images that evga took and it looked like the damaged to socket happened in route or from careless evga tech. Later he said evga was going to work with him then they went back on their word because he didn't jump and edit a post as fast as evga wanted. A lot of us have worked with people in the past that wouldn't admit to causing damage to a product. They would have no problems saying "it came like that".

The $16 screws is cheaper than having to buy a new card. No one would disagree with you on that point.

I tend to say what i think. If i see older forums member (by join date) attacking or arguing with a new members that posted a concern or complaint. I try to help the new member out if i agree with what they have to say. We all have our opinions.

I can definitely agree with trying to help the new members and yes, there was a lot going on with that motherboard post. This seems to be happening again, in another thread, with the same circumstances.

I have no issues trying to help individuals. I mean, I sent my ACX for my Classified to Australia to help a new user and never got it back, so I am not trying to down anyone. I just wish people would use common sense when something simply says to maintain all hardware in case of an RMA.

If the OP sends me a mailing address, I can actually send him the screws as I have them sitting in my spare coolers. I just need to verify they are the ones for backplate, but I caution him not to openly admit to throwing original hardware away after reading a step that clearly says to maintain it in the future.

The users I can gladly side with are the ones that aren't aware. Ones like the z87 and z97 Classified owner that is dealing with the PCIe x16 issue.. That is simply EVGA's error 100% and they keep making the situation worse every day. When EVGA is at fault, they are at fault. When the user is at fault....
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/05 19:45:34 (permalink)
    MSim

You seem to lean one-sided. Always on the side against Evga. You had bad experiences in the past with things other than Evga products. So you will always only see one side of things, and always be blinded by the truth. Nothing we can do or say would change your mind, with the truth, or anything else. When the sky is blue, it will always be gray to someone else. It's always a lose-lose situation when a person wears blinders, and can't see the whole picture.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/06 22:51:52 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    MSim

You seem to lean one-sided. Always on the side against Evga. You had bad experiences in the past with things other than Evga products. So you will always only see one side of things, and always be blinded by the truth. Nothing we can do or say would change your mind, with the truth, or anything else. When the sky is blue, it will always be gray to someone else. It's always a lose-lose situation when a person wears blinders, and can't see the whole picture.

Have you bothered to look at the posts you make on here Xrayman before you throw rocks. Anyone that doesn't have their head up evga backside can clearly see that you lean all the way to evga side on EVERYTHING. You help pimp so called deals even if you can find it cheaper some where else. You was probably the one who deleted my post calling you out on Torq10 so called deal. Any time a member asked about which PSU or mobo to get we see you posting direct links to evga store like a good cheerleader. A member posts an issue with downloading ASUS driver disc, here you come along and say "should of went with evga mobo".

I guess all it takes for you to be a evga cheerleader is evga bucks every month, every free game nvidia gives away and once in awhile a chance to win unclaimed event prizes. Don't forget you opened this can of worms not me.

Last i checked the forums Terms of Use doesn't say to be a member here you must go around praising evga products and anything they do or say. it doesn't say members are not allowed to have own opinion on here or make any comments if you disagree with the quality of any evga products.

post edited by MSim - 2014/12/06 22:52:57
    sahafiec
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1344
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: RMA'ed Card... EVGA charges $15 for a set of backplate screws? 2014/12/08 21:09:01 (permalink)
    the truth should be like always somewhere in the middle. I like EVGA as well but I never trust a company blindly.
    one should see the positives to be able to appreciate but the failures as well to give a chance to make it better.

back to topic I agree you should keep the original accessories but that's real life and there are 1000 situations something can go wrong.
    if I was EVGA I would charge for screws in such a situation but for sure not 10$.
    I would rather loose 10$ than loose a good customer.

i5 6600k | z170 m8g | bequiet pure rock | gtx1070 FTW | 2x8gb 2666mhz | 250gb m.2 & 2tb | 650W P2 | Enthoo Pro M Acrylic | pb258q

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile