X99 Micro - Error code b7

Author
Endain
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/05 00:29:02 (permalink)
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a system using the X99 Micro board. It seems that whenever I have any RAM in either or both of the leftmost slots (DIMM1/DIMM2) the board will refuse to boot giving me error code 67. EDIT: Error code is b7, silly me.

If I limit myself to only putting RAM in either or both of the rightmost slots (DIMM3/DIMM4) then the system functions normally and I can reach the BIOS, add other components, etc. I've also rotated through all the RAM sticks that I have, and they all function fine as long as they are in a slot on the right side, so it does not seem to be faulty RAM.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot and fix this without replacing the board? I'm up against some time constraints and probably would not have time to go through the RMA process, so I would really like to get this working if at all possible. Any and all ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
 - Endain
post edited by Endain - 2014/11/06 18:12:51

12 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/05 00:40:17 (permalink)
    I have the exact same problem, but only the far left Ram slot. I am using 1 stick in the right most slot. I am sending my board back in a week or two, because I am not patient enough to wait on a bios update.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/11/05 12:48:58
    Endain
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/05 11:00:43 (permalink)
    Hmm, bummer - seems like I may just have to RMA it.

Is there any chance that some sort of short would only manifest itself in these two slots? I may as well try it out of the case when I get home today. Thanks for the response, at the least I know i'm not alone. :)

- Endain
    Endain
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/06 18:25:20 (permalink)
    I ended up buying a second board and having it overnighted (again, time constraints). To my disappointment this board is even worse than the first.

In this board NONE of the RAM slots allow me to successfully reach the BIOS. I tried every slot individually, with every stick of RAM I have, reseated the CPU and carefully inspected for bent pins TWICE and did all of this out of the case to avoid any shorts and EVERY time it stalls with error code b7 (Memory training). This is nuts. I was exceedingly meticulous and careful the second time around and I see no way that I did anything incorrectly or flexed/stretched the board. Is there just a huge batch of dead/defective boards or something?

Because I'm out of time I decided to go back to the first board which has at least two working slots. I updated the BIOS to 1.09 on the off chance that would help, but it made no difference. Still code b7 if I use either of the left slots. At this point I can't afford to buy another board because it seems like the X99 Micro's are currently as reliable as a coin toss and frankly I have no time left to finish this build.

What a pain in the ass.

- Endain
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/06 19:11:20 (permalink)
    Did you order another Micro? I am pretty sure you meant the same brand and everything.

I am not happy or impressed with EVGA's x99 motherboard.
    Endain
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/06 20:02:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, I should have specified. 2 for 2 on faulty X99 Micro's.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/06 20:12:35 (permalink)
    I would send the new one back, asap. Maybe set up an RMA on the old one after deciding to try a third (supposedly third time is the charm) or change brands.
    Endain
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2014/11/25 10:39:58 (permalink)
    I got back from my trip finally, figured I should follow up.

I got my 3rd X99 Micro delivered while I was gone. Went through the exact same setup and testing as I went through a dozen times on the other two boards and this one FINALLY works - it gets past code b7 and actually POSTs with RAM in all 4 slots. I was able to install the rest of my system components and install Windows 7 and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly.

I really was starting to think I must have been doing something wrong with the first two boards as the chances of getting two defective boards (with a similar defect) seemed really slim - but that honestly appears to be the case. I just wish I could have avoided the whole hassle of having to replace the board twice. Interestingly enough this board has the exact next serial number after my second board (which was the worst of them with ALL RAM slots being defective), so it doesn't really seem like there was a bad 'batch' or anything.

- Endain
    BoostCrzy
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2015/04/03 08:15:00 (permalink)
    I have the same issue.... comes up with error code b7 and there is no signal to the monitor.  If I remove the left hand Corsair RAM it now starts up with signal to the monitor....i will be contacting EVGA for answers or a new board..... bit of a bum when you've spent shed loads of money on all this new kit :-(  i will update here when EVGA respond.
    linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8043
    • Ribbons : 104
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2015/04/03 11:57:38 (permalink)
    Code b7 can be related to the VCCSA or System Agent voltage. This voltage needs to be set just right especially at the higher frequencies of 3000 MHz or more. If it is set too low or high then the system can either have memory errors or the system will fail to post all together. For the higher memory frequencies, I have found that running test 7 in Memtest86+ repeatedly will let me know if this voltage is off or if the timings are too tight. If there is an issue, test 7 will usually fail even if the other tests pass.

There is also the possibility of an issue with the heatsink mounting. If there is poor contact with some of the pins either due to over-tightening or uneven tightening, then there could be an issue with one or more of the memory channels.
    BoostCrzy
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2015/04/03 12:46:12 (permalink)
    No matter what i do the system will not post with the left hand Corsair 3000 RAM.  Ive tried cleaning the RAM contacts and swapping the RAM from right to left.  This makes no difference at all.  However remove the left hand RAM and the system will post.  I do however see a "cmos check sum error" when I hit F2 first time it posts.  I have removed the CMOS Battery for 5 mins and replaced... still no joy.   
    linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8043
    • Ribbons : 104
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2015/04/03 13:03:40 (permalink)
    Install one stick of memory and if you can get the system to post, disable XMP and set the memory frequency manually to 2133 MHz. Save and shutdown. Then install the other three sticks and see if the system will post with four sticks of memory.

If this fails, take one working stick of memory and test in each of the four individual memory slots. If the system fails to post on specific memory slots, then you may have an issue with one or more pins making poor contact with the CPU in which case re-seating might help or an issue with the board itself.
    BoostCrzy
    Re: X99 Micro - Error code 67 2015/04/03 14:06:17 (permalink)
    Unit will only post with RAM in right slots even with disabled XMP and set at 2133 MHz.  Tried one stick of RAM in each slot.  Left RAM slots will not post.  Right will post with one or two sticks of RAM.  Will remove water cooler block and reseat the CPU on Saturday.  I have already updated to the latest 1.16 BIOS but this does not help.  
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile