Blank Screen on GTX 970

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
RyougaLolakie
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/14 19:59:14 (permalink)
Hey, I just recently got my GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 for an upgrade from gtx 560. Firstly, I didn't think of uninstalling my old drivers before installing it. Although I first uninstalled the drivers with DDU and installed the latest drivers. Afterwards, I played TF2 and I get a screen freeze with a black screen, but I can alt tabbed and exit the game. I thought it was one game, so I tried Dota 2 and surprised the screen frozen too. I got a bit panicked and immediately reset the reset button. This never happened while using bench mark programs like furmark 3D, Valley, and Heaven on maxed settings (GPU was at 60c with using precision under fan curve so it's not the heat) nor WoW. Later on, I played a bit more on TF2 and around 15 mins of play through, I got a black screen and was not able to alt tabbed which I did a hard reset. At first I thought I have some old driver leftovers so I did a clean install using driver sweeper. Although I'm afraid to run any games because of the black screen.

Although while using precision, I find something odd. The clock goes slightly over the boost clock around 1366 MHz, so maybe that's the reason why the blank screen crash persist in the first place? Anyway, I need your help on this and here are my PC specs:

Cpu: i7 960 @ 3.20ghz
Gpu:evga gtx 970 ACX 2.0 sc
Ram: Corsair Dominator 12GB
MB: Gigabyte g1. Guerilla x58
Harddrive: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray / DVD Burner Combo
Monitor: Sceptre 27inch 60mhz (1920 x 1080)
Mouse: Logitech g700s
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance k70 Black (Red LED) Keyboard with Cherry MX Red Switches)
PSU: Corsair TX750

Help would be really appreciated. :)
post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/15 04:27:39

65 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/15 14:32:12 (permalink)
    You get a black screen when playing any game but you don't get one while running heaven or valley at maximum settings. Strange. Try downclocking the card -105 from default clocks on both the core and memory to see if it helps get rid of the black screen when playing games.
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/15 17:20:46 (permalink)
    How can I downclock it from precision x 16?
    Edit: Not just any game. Dota 2 and WoW didn't start any black screens but only TF2. WoW and benchmark programs weren't affected last time I played. Somehow I get the notion that I was using precision x during that time.

Just to give you more information on my first post. Around the time that I did a clean install by going to control panel and uninstall the drivers and clean the left overs using driver sweeper. Today, I had the courage to play TF2 for about an hour and for some reason no black screen...although I'm not out of the woods yet. I didn't even underclocked it yet. This is around the time I didn't use precision x.

Something's still not right...
    post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/15 21:17:47
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/16 14:00:35 (permalink)
    It may be precision x causing the issue.
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/16 14:43:12 (permalink)
    Maybe. Wish I can reproduce the black screen without precision x, I feared that the card maybe faulty but I dunno..I'll edit this post when I experience some black screen without precision x.
    post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/16 14:50:48
    nosfecgr
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/16 23:39:23 (permalink)
    Same here.
    Screen goes black during unigine : Heaven. Restart button does not fix. No alt - tab or ctrl alt del possible. Only solution is cold reset.

Other topic with the same problem:

So far tried:
    Using the x8 slot, older drivers, latest drivers, swapped cables, fresh windows install.

Windows message after the crash:
    Problem signature: 
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen 
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 
    Locale ID: 1033 

Additional information about the problem: 
    BCCode: 116 
    BCP1: FFFFFA8006FFC2E0 
    BCP2: FFFFF8800F9C4C84 
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A 
    BCP4: 0000000000000004 
    OS Version: 6_1_7601 
    Service Pack: 1_0 
    Product: 256_1 

My System:

Asus Maximus Gene-Z Gen3 
    I5 2500k @ Stock
    GSKILL RipjawsX 4x2 DDR3 1600 MHZ 
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 
    Corsair AX 760 Power Supply 
    Noctua NH-D14 i+ 3 Noctua case fans 
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Corsair Force GS 240 GB SSD 
    WD Green 2 TB HDD 

I also suspect the Motherboard and the PSU, but biggest suspect is on the Graphics Card.

Sorry if this is a little bit of topic hijacking, saw the same problem & just wanted to post.
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 01:00:45 (permalink)
    hey all.

i have the same gtx970 acx 2.0 sc.

I have the same issue and the only way i get my computer to recognize the card is to actually open up the case and press the reset button on the motherboard.  wt* but whatever I am pushing ridiculous overclocks so I expect issues.  i can get to 1540/8000 fyi.

the thing that most readily fixed the issue for me was doing a custom clean instll of the drivers.  I did not remove the drivers first just straight wrote over them.

as for precision,  i used to love it but now it is just a mess that is still in development so uninstall it.  go back to afterburner.  If you keep the statics tuner open I bet you will see a massive spike in the gpu power usage.  I run right at 102% then all of sudden it will read 3500% right at the point of crash.  so crank that power usage to 110% and try and run it there.

many times the drivers will crash while at a loading screen in between leels or after i die.  this happens in almost all games and is directly tied to the overclock in my experience.  
    nosfecgr
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 02:12:49 (permalink)
    fkrIII
    hey all.

i have the same gtx970 acx 2.0 sc.

I have the same issue and the only way i get my computer to recognize the card is to actually open up the case and press the reset button on the motherboard.  wt* but whatever I am pushing ridiculous overclocks so I expect issues.  i can get to 1540/8000 fyi.

the thing that most readily fixed the issue for me was doing a custom clean instll of the drivers.  I did not remove the drivers first just straight wrote over them.

as for precision,  i used to love it but now it is just a mess that is still in development so uninstall it.  go back to afterburner.  If you keep the statics tuner open I bet you will see a massive spike in the gpu power usage.  I run right at 102% then all of sudden it will read 3500% right at the point of crash.  so crank that power usage to 110% and try and run it there.

many times the drivers will crash while at a loading screen in between leels or after i die.  this happens in almost all games and is directly tied to the overclock in my experience.  

Hello;

Thank you for the insight. I have never touched any OC, but, unigine on-screen shows my card is running @1506 mhz. And it shows memory 3506 mhz. I thought it was incorrect so I didn't care, is it possible for a brand new card to push itself without any overclocking software installed?

Is there any reason to suspect the PSU by the way? It is a brand new AX760, but I can swap it with a Highpower 750 Bronze and test. I'll report tonigh after testing with the Highpower...

RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 09:09:31 (permalink)
    Hey, I'm back. Although, I find something even a bit more strange. Although I didn't get a black screen when I play at least 1 hour of dota 2 and 3 hours on TF2 without precision x. Still not out of the woods yet. Although, I'm playing World of Warcraft and I find a glitch which when I click a Wor'gol Villager, her skirt went spinning all over the place like a propeller, when I cancel the target of Wor'gol Villager, her skirt returns to normal...I'm using windowed borderless unless I switch to program folder, her skirt went back to normal as well. I'm not really sure if its really an artifact or a glitch. While I was playing WoW I didn't encounter any artifacts. Wish I would show you the image, but I'm not allowed to unless I have one more day to post it on here.  Otherwise, I can't be sure if this card is really faulty or not unless if there's more test other than furmark, valley, and heaven. Just curious. ^^;

Here's the image of that glitch down below:
    post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/17 11:02:33

Attached Image(s)

nosfecgr
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 13:15:07 (permalink)
    Results of tonight's tests:
    Tried with HighPower Bronze 750W instead of AX 760 - Failed
    Tried with EVGA Precision Power Limit set to 110 and fans : Always on - Nearly made it for half an hour, but still failed...
    Tried with earliest drivers and failed...

I'll add this info to my ticket and hopefully expect a RMA, I've run out of options...
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 14:09:41 (permalink)
    for some reason heaven benchmark overstates what your core clock is.

I would try this
    1.  uninstall precision x and any other otherclocking software.
    2.  restart
    3.  do a clean install of drivers (select custom install and check the clean install button)
    4.  restart and test

this may work for you
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 18:51:53 (permalink)
    RyougaLolakie
    Hey, I'm back. Although, I find something even a bit more strange. Although I didn't get a black screen when I play at least 1 hour of dota 2 and 3 hours on TF2 without precision x. Still not out of the woods yet. Although, I'm playing World of Warcraft and I find a glitch which when I click a Wor'gol Villager, her skirt went spinning all over the place like a propeller, when I cancel the target of Wor'gol Villager, her skirt returns to normal...I'm using windowed borderless unless I switch to program folder, her skirt went back to normal as well. I'm not really sure if its really an artifact or a glitch. While I was playing WoW I didn't encounter any artifacts. Wish I would show you the image, but I'm not allowed to unless I have one more day to post it on here.  Otherwise, I can't be sure if this card is really faulty or not unless if there's more test other than furmark, valley, and heaven. Just curious. ^^;

Looks like a game glitch.
    nosfecgr
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 22:18:23 (permalink)
    fkrIII
    for some reason heaven benchmark overstates what your core clock is.

I would try this
    1.  uninstall precision x and any other otherclocking software.
    2.  restart
    3.  do a clean install of drivers (select custom install and check the clean install button)
    4.  restart and test

this may work for you

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I went through the steps and got the same problem. I also tried with a different PSU and got the same problem.

Only when I installed Precision, downclocked by 100 MHz and set the power limit to 110, the computer did get the black screen but was able to continue running normally afterwards.

Also tried drivers 344.11, 344.60 and 344.65, all have the same results.
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 23:06:09 (permalink)
    any chance you know what your temps are while running heaven or something.  I have been setting a temp of 62C.  while using my overclock I am just curious if there might be a typical point where you black screen.

also do you ever get to see what your power usage was while using precision and the black screen occurs.  because mine spikes into the 1000% usage every time it black screens.  multi monitor are so useful while troubleshooting and testing (other monitors run off of the motherboard not the gtx970)
    nosfecgr
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/17 23:34:33 (permalink)
    fkrIII
    any chance you know what your temps are while running heaven or something.  I have been setting a temp of 62C.  while using my overclock I am just curious if there might be a typical point where you black screen.

also do you ever get to see what your power usage was while using precision and the black screen occurs.  because mine spikes into the 1000% usage every time it black screens.  multi monitor are so useful while troubleshooting and testing (other monitors run off of the motherboard not the gtx970)

Previous crashes were @ 72 - 73 C but the card was stable at that temps for 1 - 2 mins and then was crashing.

The last crash was @ 62 c, where the moniter went black and returned back. ( still running heaven ) The power was around 90% when the screen went black, when it returned it was showing a sudden drop down to 20%s and going back to 90%s within seconds. So either a spike didn't happen or I didn't see it.

Either there is a problem with these GTX970s and LGA 1155 or the particular GTX970 that I have has an issue. I just want to be totally sure before RMAing the card...
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/18 06:44:27 (permalink)
    I am running an overclocked 2500k and I am not having any issues anymore.

truth be told if you are running the card stock and it crashes that should be an rma.  If you want to do clean install of drivers and make sure that any overclocking software is not present.  this would allow you to do a true stock test if it still crashed then i would RMA.  there is no reason you should be having this issue

you could always do the stepup program and get a ftw edition
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/18 20:59:07 (permalink)
    Sajin
    RyougaLolakie

Seems like it. Anyways, I'm playing more of TF2 and World of Warcraft and I'm starting to see some minor artifacts that come and go but rarely. Sadly, I wasn't able to reproduce it. Now I get the feeling where this has been going down the road..sigh..I knew I shouldn't bought the OC version but who knows. Will it get worse over time?
    post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/18 21:03:29
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/18 21:07:25 (permalink)
    RyougaLolakie
    Sajin
    RyougaLolakie

Seems like it. Anyways, I'm playing more of TF2 and World of Warcraft and I'm starting to see some minor artifacts that come and go but rarely. Sadly, I wasn't able to reproduce it. Now I get the feeling where this has been going down the road..sigh..I knew I shouldn't bought the OC version but who knows. Will it get worse over time?

Yes, it will get worse over time if the card is producing the artifacts.
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/18 21:39:50 (permalink)
    Sajin
    RyougaLolakie
    Sajin
    RyougaLolakie

Yes, it will get worse over time if the card is producing the artifacts.

Oh darn. :/ That really stinks...if that's the case I'll consider to do an rma once the artifacts started to get out of control. It sucks because I've own this card for a week and this card is dying prematurely..And speaking of rma, I have another problem..I accidently took off the warranty sticker >< but..I kept that sticker on the evga card box which really sucks...me and my stupidity..it's my fault. :/
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/18 21:53:54 (permalink)
    Removing the sticker doesn't void the warranty. As long as you send the sticker in with the card you're good to go.
    exSnake
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/19 10:58:16 (permalink)
    Same issue here.

I had a Radeon HD6870 Vapor-X Sapphire, played a long time to Archeage (CryEngine 3 game), just all running fine.

Then i upgraded to a GeForce GTX970 model 2972, ACX 2.0, firstly i unistalled all the ati driver with DDU, then after the shutdown i installed the lastest nvidia Driver, 344.65, played to archeage at max resolution without any other software installed  then i got the black screen, screen turning black then i had to force restart my pac, sometime i still hear the sound of other application like TeamSpeak, with the blackscreen on.

Then i tried to install Precision X and founded that when i play with Aggressive Fan Mode (50/60 degree) i didnt got anyblack screen, if i forgot to run it, and the VGA won't run the fan fast, i got the blackscreen.

At this moment i think that the problem is of some faulty VGA Graphic, i tried to change Power Alimentation from an XFX 550w to an Enermax Gold 625w, didn't got any improvements, seem that the temp over 70 let the VGA going to the blackscreen. Didn't founded any other reason at that. 
    Anyway, like ryouga i saw that the video card at full speed, going after the redmark on precision X 16
    I think that are some bad component going to fault over 70 degree, not a driver video problem.

EVGA GTX 970 - n2972 with ACX 2.0
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/19 18:27:43 (permalink)
    i would tend to agree with you. I have went to a never go over 60C fan profile and the crashes do not occur anymore.  It is such a pain that I will not even lower my fans just because I do not want to bother with the black screens.

I have never had to do such an aggressive fan profile on any of my recent cards (evga gtx560, power color 7870 tahiti le, MSI 3x7950's).
    nosfecgr
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/21 01:58:59 (permalink)
    Hello,

just for your info, a bios update, a clean install of windows, newest drivers have solved my issue. I Do not know which, i did all at once but everything seems fine for now.
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/23 23:44:50 (permalink)
    Hey, sorry I couldn't respond to this thread since I got caught with the stomach flu. And I played more TF2, after like 48 mins into the game I encountered some artifacts that appear out of nowhere even though the graphics are clear..here's a screenshot for proof down below. This is at stock, which is factory-overclocked and GPU temps are in the 50s. I'm tempting to RMA but Thanksgiving is coming so I don't know if there's any other options before RMA'ing it.
    post edited by RyougaLolakie - 2014/11/24 00:51:31

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 08:11:00 (permalink)
    If you truly think the card is artifacting at stock settings downclocking the card should help remove the artifacts. Retest your game after downclocking, go back to the same spot to check for artifacts. 
    fkrIII
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 08:47:37 (permalink)
    I think what you are seeing are game issues and not artifact.  artifact in games tend to look like complete blocks of pixels just not being processed.  I woulds maybe use some benchmark like heaven or valley and see what happens.  maybe use a game that you have played before on a different card and see what you find there.  
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 10:04:55 (permalink)
    Sajin
    If you truly think the card is artifacting at stock settings downclocking the card should help remove the artifacts. Retest your game after downclocking, go back to the same spot to check for artifacts. 

Oh ok, I'll try out downclocking. How low will I downclock it?

@fkrill I'll retest the benchmarks again, last time I used it I didn't see any artifacts.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 14:36:55 (permalink)
    RyougaLolakie
    How low will I downclock it?

-105 on both the core and memory should be sufficient.
    RyougaLolakie
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 17:07:20 (permalink)
    Sajin
    RyougaLolakie
    How low will I downclock it?

-105 on both the core and memory should be sufficient.

@Sajin Should I start underclocking slowly first or just put -105 on both memory and core all the way?

@fkrll, I did a Heaven and Valley Benchmark Test 3 times and I didn't even see any artifacts and the gpu was at 58c with automatic fan-speed on MSI Burner. I honestly don't understand why Both of those aren't happening....
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Blank Screen on GTX 970 2014/11/24 17:27:43 (permalink)
    RyougaLolakie
    @Sajin Should I start underclocking slowly first or just put -105 on both memory and core all the way?

All the way.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile