EVGA

AnsweredAdding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed?

Author
JimboC
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/23 08:03:20 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I hope that you are doing well.

My computer currently has an EVGA GTX Titan (836 MHz Base clock, 876 MHz Boost clock) installed. In the coming week I will be adding an EVGA GTX Titan Black SC (967 MHz Base clock, 1072 MHz Boost clock). By the way, I realize I cannot SLI these GPUs that is not my intention, I simply want to use them for Folding@Home.

My PC consumes 350 W from the power outlet (measured with an energy meter) at this time with the Titan and my CPU at 100% usage. Adding another Titan will bring the usage to about 600 W.

I use my PC for Folding@Home and it runs 24 hours a day for 3 to 4 days each week. I have been doing this since August 2011. I bought my PSU, a Corsair HX 1000 at the same time and I was wondering if I should upgrade it to a new PSU? I am unsure how much wear this has caused to my current PSU. It is still working perfectly but I am wondering how much longer it will last. I am considering upgrading to a Corsair AX 1200i.

For your information, my PC had 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 580 SC installed until September 2013 when one GPU failed and I decided to replace both for the EVGA Titan GPU instead. I used those GTX 580s until September 2013 for Folding@Home in a similar usage pattern to what I have described above.

Any advice on whether I should consider replacing my existing PSU would be much appreciated. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Intel Core i9 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz | 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum PC4-21300 | Asus Rampage VI Apex | 2x Nvidia Titan RTX “T-Rex” (NVLink Enabled) | Corsair AX1600i PSU | Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition | Dell U2711 LCD | Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64 Bit (Version 1903)
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49164
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 08:31:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JimboC 2014/11/23 12:35:45
1000W is fine. You can SLI the Titan with the Titan Black. Link.
JimboC
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 08:53:52 (permalink)
Sajin
1000W is fine. You can SLI the Titan with the Titan Black. Link.

Hi Sajin,

Thanks for the very fast response. It wasn't so much the wattage or amperage that I am concerned about, but namely the possibility of capacitor aging since I work my PSU for so many hours each week.

I never knew it was possible to SLI these GPUs, this is something I will now investigate.

Intel Core i9 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz | 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum PC4-21300 | Asus Rampage VI Apex | 2x Nvidia Titan RTX “T-Rex” (NVLink Enabled) | Corsair AX1600i PSU | Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition | Dell U2711 LCD | Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64 Bit (Version 1903)
kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 09:29:17 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby JimboC 2014/11/23 12:35:50
I don't see any reason to replace the PSU, you're well inside the wattage limit. Jonny Guru's forum recently had a thread asking a question along the same lines, and as long as it was a quality brand Jonny and other reviewers said to just keep using the PSU until it actually goes bad, then replace it. The extremely high-quality units can have a lifetime of 10 years easily as long as they are kept clean.

Have water, will cool. 
JimboC
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 12:35:39 (permalink)
kougar
I don't see any reason to replace the PSU, you're well inside the wattage limit. Jonny Guru's forum recently had a thread asking a question along the same lines, and as long as it was a quality brand Jonny and other reviewers said to just keep using the PSU until it actually goes bad, then replace it. The extremely high-quality units can have a lifetime of 10 years easily as long as they are kept clean.

Hi kougar,

Thanks very much for your confirmation that my PSU will be up the task.

I didn’t know that it was better to replace a PSU only when it goes wrong. Until now I had been replacing the PSUs of my various PCs every 5 years. I had thought that since I have used this PSU so much over the years it may have a lot of “mileage” on it but your comments are very reassuring.

I didn’t realize that keeping the PSU clean extends its lifetime significantly. However, I do keep the PSU clean. Every 3 to 6 months (or sooner depending on how dusty the PC is) I clean the PC using an air compressor (I don’t clean the PCB/motherboard, just the fans, heatsinks, fan of the PSU etc.). This cleans a large amount of dust away very quickly and I have found it to be more effective than cans of compressed air.

Thanks to you and Sajin advice in this thread I am really glad that I don’t need to replace my PSU. I look forward to increasing my Folding@Home contribution when my new GTX Titan Black SC arrives next week.

I hope that you both enjoy the rest of your weekend.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 19:02:12 (permalink)

That PSU should be just fine.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/23 19:18:56 (permalink)
Titan Black is excellent card, maybe I made mistake because I didn't choose for cheaper price in Serbia when they offer me.
Little more than K|NGP|N Classified.
But there are problem Titan Black have 876MHz clock only, Titan Black Superclocked is little better and if you flash BIOS with HydroCopper version that become stronger card than with default clock.
I like more black heatsink inside Titan Black than silver inside normal.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

JimboC
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/24 12:58:06 (permalink)
Hi XrayMan and Vlada011,

Many thanks for your insights, they are always appreciated.

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/24 16:09:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JimboC 2014/11/27 09:30:10
Found the thread in question: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11911 Jonny's answer (as well as some of the other PSU reviewers that responded in that thread) surprised me as well to be honest, but given his expertise I'll follow that advice. 

JimboC

I didn’t realize that keeping the PSU clean extends its lifetime significantly. However, I do keep the PSU clean. Every 3 to 6 months (or sooner depending on how dusty the PC is) I clean the PC using an air compressor (I don’t clean the PCB/motherboard, just the fans, heatsinks, fan of the PSU etc.). This cleans a large amount of dust away very quickly and I have found it to be more effective than cans of compressed air.

It's all about keeping things cool, dust will insulate a PSU, block air intakes/exhausts, and worsen a heatsink's effectiveness. Heat is one of the main killers of electronics. Nothing wrong with using an air compressor on computer parts, just be sure to block the fans so they cannot spin if you do. Anything as powerful as a datavac duster or an air compressor can easily over-rev the fans and potentially damage the bearing. I just use a Datavac Metro for the entirety of my systems, cans of compressed air are just too expensive for what they are!

Have water, will cool. 
JimboC
Re: Adding Another GTX Titan Black to a 3.5 Year Old PSU, New PSU Needed? 2014/11/27 09:30:04 (permalink)
kougar
Found the thread in question: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11911 Jonny's answer (as well as some of the other PSU reviewers that responded in that thread) surprised me as well to be honest, but given his expertise I'll follow that advice. 

JimboC

It's all about keeping things cool, dust will insulate a PSU, block air intakes/exhausts, and worsen a heatsink's effectiveness. Heat is one of the main killers of electronics. Nothing wrong with using an air compressor on computer parts, just be sure to block the fans so they cannot spin if you do. Anything as powerful as a datavac duster or an air compressor can easily over-rev the fans and potentially damage the bearing. I just use a Datavac Metro for the entirety of my systems, cans of compressed air are just too expensive for what they are!

Hi kougar,

Many thanks for your response and the link to the JonnyGuru forum thread. It has helped provide more background to the information that you kindly supplied to me. I will ensure that the fans don't spin when I'm cleaning the computer next time (I never knew this could damage them).

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile