Question regarding which SATA port for OS SSD Drive

Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2014/11/21 22:13:07 (permalink)
I had a question with which SATA port on the X99 Classified do I use for my EVO OS SSD drive.  I know I could use any but I noticed 3 specific Sata ports that are AHCI only which SSDs use from my understanding.  Should I skip the 1st port and go straight to the AHCI port or does it not matter as either or will be the same performance?  And if I wanted to raid 2 mechanical HDs, what should I do in that scenario while having the SSD as a OS drive.

Thanks

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

2 Replies Related Threads

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Question regarding which SATA port for OS SSD Drive 2014/11/22 06:32:01 (permalink)
    As long as you're not using a port connected to a third party SATA controller, it isn't going to affect performance what port you use. Just put it on the first port, and regarding the RAID you should be able to set that up later without any problems! As long as all OS installs are using AHCI drive settings, enabling RAID won't affect them. The in the past the issue was IDE drives because enabling RAID forces all drives sharing that SATA controller to AHCI.

Have water, will cool. 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Question regarding which SATA port for OS SSD Drive 2014/11/22 18:04:33 (permalink)
    It won't matter now.  The faulty MB chose a different path and hoping it didn't take anything else with it.  Ironically the same thing happened to someone else and he has it on video where I will only have pictures for it soon.  It was in the same area and same effect.  I just hope this isn't widespread for others.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile