Author
intertan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 303
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/21 20:00:34 (permalink)
I have a always on windows 7 machine
I only have one ethernet port on the bord but have a usb 2.0 to ethernet adapter
I would like to connect the usb adapter to my isp modem then use the motherboard ethernet port to connect to my main wifi router

how would I set this up easy?

5 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: network question 2014/11/21 20:07:40 (permalink)
    Not Really!
    What advantage do you think you would have?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

intertan
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 303
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: network question 2014/11/21 21:21:05 (permalink)
    I have a VPN service. Problem is when the service is active my other devices don't work 100 percent. 
    Example streaming, instead of through the local network it goes over the internet. 
    My thought is I can use the PC to allow VPN to work while still having all devices work properly. Another advantage is all my networked devices are on the VPN network. 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: network question 2014/11/22 08:19:56 (permalink)
    intertan
    I have a VPN service. Problem is when the service is active my other devices don't work 100 percent. 
    Example streaming, instead of through the local network it goes over the internet. 
    My thought is I can use the PC to allow VPN to work while still having all devices work properly. Another advantage is all my networked devices are on the VPN network. 

If you are talking about your companies VPN then you most likely not want to do this.
    Why: Once you open a hole on your computer to the internet that would also open a hole into your VPN network.
    This then may lead access to your other network without your knowledge.
    So if you do find a way to do this be careful.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: network question 2014/11/22 08:53:48 (permalink)
    intertan
    I only have one ethernet port on the bord but have a usb 2.0 to ethernet adapter
    I would like to connect the usb adapter to my isp modem then use the motherboard ethernet port to connect to my main wifi router

There is no inherent advantage to trying this setup. You'll end up splitting your networking with two adapters on a single subnet. Unless you have a way to NIC team the interfaces you'll not encounter any benefit, only issues in routing and response. Even with NIC teaming you would need a switch that would be able to do etherchannel in order to gain any amount of bandwidth that would give any  perceivable sort of increased response.

intertan

If your VPN service is setup properly then only the work IP addressing segment would be allowed through the VPN itself. All other traffic which is not determined to be for the corporate address segment would be tunneled through your normal gateway to the internet itself. This should not interfere with any other personal connections providing the VPN is not designating all triaffic to flow through it's interface. If that is the case then you will see any traffic flow out of the virtual interface for the VPN and no traffic would be segmented outside of that connection.

I would talk with whomever setup the VPN connection to ensure only the traffic designated for the corporate side (if this is for a work connection) is properly configured as you don't necessarily need to have any personal traffic (music streaming or the like) to be traversing their infrastructure. Additionally opening any additional LAN connections which would bridge the two is certainly something not to do. Especially if the VPN is for any work you are doing which needs to be secured.

david12857
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Ribbons : 33
    Re: network question 2014/11/22 09:26:55 (permalink)
    You can bridge network connections in Windows. It's fine if you trust the network you VPN to and the owner of that network doesn't mind. I would also suggest looking into a VPN router. You can probably find an inexpensive router that has VPN client support with the factory, DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. 

http://windows.microsoft....at-is-a-network-bridge
    http://windows.microsoft....k-bridge#1TC=windows-7

Main system | HTPC | Folding&Crunching@EVGA
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile