EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bigmyke
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/18 18:19:24 (permalink)
Stick with corsair.  I have for the passed 15 years.  XMP 2.0 works with my 2800 Platinum.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/18 18:22:47 (permalink)
bigmyke
Stick with corsair.  I have for the passed 15 years.  XMP 2.0 works with my 2800 Platinum.

Corsair and ADATA have both done well for me so far... They are insane with their prices right now.
chesspc
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/18 19:37:41 (permalink)
Just received another reply from GSKILL, " was a little confused, actually all DDR4 should be XMP 2.0. You can find the SPD ext. info in the SPD tab of CPU-Z, it will show 2.0."
As my motherboard is currently in for RMA, can anyone verify this for us?
Pictures would be extremely helpful either way, whether it is incorrect of GSKILL or not. Thanks guys.

post edited by chesspc - 2014/11/18 19:41:37
spf33
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/18 20:51:37 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Just received another reply from GSKILL, " was a little confused, actually all DDR4 should be XMP 2.0. You can find the SPD ext. info in the SPD tab of CPU-Z, it will show 2.0."

All DDR4?

post edited by spf33 - 2018/03/14 07:39:22
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/18 21:30:15 (permalink)
chesspc

spf33

Chess and spf33, thank you both for sharing the screen shots.

As Chess' picture shows, it is running XMP 2.0 as GSKILL stated it should, so the XMP profile 1 in the Bios is to pull it to the 2.0 setting as it should, but labeled profile 1 is obviously the confusing part.

Spf33, I passed along your concern, but I assume being ad you are running stock frequency, there wouldn't be an xmp profile to run stock options. Of course, I could be incorrect, but the xmp profile is like the a second BIOS on a GPU that the user can activate for easy overclocking. If the card (or RAM in this case) isn't tested to run above stock 2133mhz, then the xmp profile may not even be an option, because it should activate all of the things are set to stock anyway.

I actually apologized to GSKILL, since I didn't look at the spd tab before hand. Hopefully we can get more answers for you Spf33, but please be patient since I wasn't, lol.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 11:36:00 (permalink)
Scarlet-TechI actually apologized to GSKILL, since I didn't look at the spd tab before hand. Hopefully we can get more answers for you Spf33, but please be patient since I wasn't, lol.

True but I think Gskill fouled up a bit by basically saying, who cares if we "advertise XMP 2.0" even though lets just say that was the case for you and than respond with another e-mail doing some damage control if your scenario were true.    I found it funny but they should be clear with one response and you need some patience my friend.  You jump into conclusions and blame this and that.  I get you've had some bad luck.  From my understanding, everything went down hill for you waiting for your packages and living overseas, you should know better and expect a month + on many things before lashing out of frustrations.  Just sit back and let things finally simmer down and hopefully everything will work out for ya in the end. ;)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 14:09:53 (permalink)
Yes, I did jump to conclusions and usually do. I do admit that fault, and I copied and pasted everything word for word. I have no use with lying unless absolutely necessary, and I also have problem admitting my faults.
spf33
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 18:40:55 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Chess and spf33, thank you both for sharing the screen shots.

As Chess' picture shows, it is running XMP 2.0 as GSKILL stated it should, so the XMP profile 1 in the Bios is to pull it to the 2.0 setting as it should, but labeled profile 1 is obviously the confusing part.

Spf33, I passed along your concern, but I assume being ad you are running stock frequency, there wouldn't be an xmp profile to run stock options. Of course, I could be incorrect, but the xmp profile is like the a second BIOS on a GPU that the user can activate for easy overclocking. If the card (or RAM in this case) isn't tested to run above stock 2133mhz, then the xmp profile may not even be an option, because it should activate all of the things are set to stock anyway.

I actually apologized to GSKILL, since I didn't look at the spd tab before hand. Hopefully we can get more answers for you Spf33, but please be patient since I wasn't, lol.

No problem.  Appreciate the info and that you have advised G.Skill.

Forgive my ignorance here if I'm totally off base regarding XMP; I was under the impression that the touted XMP profiles were implemented to simplify the overclocking process and since G.Skill advertises my RAM as XMP 2.0 capable I thought that's a feature I was buying.

I'm interested in how G.Skill responds to your inquiry, so please do post when you can.

More relevant to the thread, I'm interested in seeing that the BIOS recognizes my Sound Blaster Z as PCI Gen. 2.  Currently, on BIOS 1.11, it lists as Gen.1.  Though, I see that BIOS 1.12 is out in the past few hours, so I'll check it.

post edited by spf33 - 2014/11/19 18:43:03
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 19:08:49 (permalink)
I will let you know if I can get some more information out of them. They seem to be extremely helpful after we both realized that we were wrong, lol.

As far as the profile for stock clock RAM, I am not sure. I would think of these the same as an unlocked CPU. the xmp profiles guarantee the Ram to run at specified clocks, but it doesn't mean it will go past that. Cpu is the same, as it is guaranteed to turboclock to a specific speed, but not past.

Now, take the same series cpu, and say GunslingerOCS gets his hands on it for testing but doesn't like the cpu or motherboard during testing, so he sells them as a pair and lists the exact clock tables and voltages he used, so you know for a fact that it has been binned to those speeds. You apply what he says (this would be the xmp equivalent) and you know they work, but going higher may not. Ram manufacturers only guarantee to the xmp profile for very easy, one touch overclocking of the Ram itself.

You may also find that the cpu or motherboard does not like the xmp profile at all, for whatever reason. Notice in my signature, I have "Dominator Platinum 2133 RAM (running at 1866)" because on the 3930k, when I enabled xmp, the system won't boot. I tested the Ram in 4 different systems, and 3 worked flawless while this one wouldn't have it at all.

Hopefully that isn't confusing, and I may be off in my assumptions. Good to hear that the new BIOS is out as well. I will watch that thread to see how it is doing, while I wait for my motherboards to return... I ordered the RVE yesterday and the Micro should be on its way back sometime soon.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 19:35:43 (permalink)
Hopefully this link can clear a few things out if there is any confusion.  Its basically a profile preset that does the work for you and should work.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
spf33
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 21:12:19 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
the xmp profiles guarantee the Ram to run at specified clocks, but it doesn't mean it will go past that.

That's the thing, isn't it?.  Sure, my 2133 RAM is guaranteed to run at 2133 MHz.  But, according to how G.Skill is advertising this kit it should have the XMP 2.0 profile to run it beyond standard specs.

Scarlet-Tech
Hopefully that isn't confusing...

Sorry, it is ;)

gtxjackbauer
Hopefully this link can clear a few things out if there is any confusion.  Its basically a profile preset that does the work for you and should work.

Thanks for the link.

From the link;

"Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3/DDR4 memory to perform beyond standard specifications."

and

"Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system."

So?  With G.Skill's XMP 2.0 capable RAM how do I "load" this XMP profile exactly?

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 21:22:19 (permalink)
Have you tried contacting GSKILL? like I was attempting to say, the xmp profile is stock overclock that is supposed to be guaranteed. Your Ram is stock specification, so what past that would they need to guarantee would work? Stock is stock. If it doesn't work at stock speeds and requires a profile to bring it up to stock, then they probably would even sell it.

I highly suggest contacting GSKILL directly, as you can ask the people that make it and get more answers. Once they figured out that both them and I were mistaken, they have been extremely helpful.

Aside from that, I am not sure how the xmp profile would work on stock clocks and would like to understand as well, if it does indeed work.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 21:33:51 (permalink)
Furthermore, GSKILL's website does not specify an xmp profile for any of the stock clocked RAM they own. NO 2133, on their site, advertises xmp (http://www.gskill.com/dow...4-2133c15q-16grb.pdf). The xmp section on their specification sheets is actually marked out completely.

If Newegg is advertising the base clock Ram as supporting xmp, then Newegg needs to be addressed so they can fix the advertising error.

If you look at the 2400mhz specification sheet, it very clearly states Intel XMP 2.0 (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready in the features sections, and after clicking through all of the 2133 specification sheets and data sheets, not a single on shows XMP for them.

*Looking at NewEgg, the splash screen for GSKILL is the same on every Ram module, but when you click into specifications for the 2133, there is no mention of the XMP profiles. The 2400 kit specifies in the specifications that it has "XMP 2.0 support for automatic overclocking 1.2v ultra low voltage". So you fell for the splash screen and missed that it isn't in the specification list anywhere. Look through any of the GSKILL pages, and you will notice they are all exactly the same, until you click into the specifications.

Another addition: http://www.intel.com/cont...r-core-processors.html will take you to the approved DDR3 and DDR4 XMP RAM that is available and authorized. Notice in the DDR4 section, that there is no 2133 modules to be found. When you do see the 2133 approved, you will see that it is only on the DDR3 modules.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/11/19 21:57:24
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/19 21:57:52 (permalink)
spf33
Scarlet-Tech
the xmp profiles guarantee the Ram to run at specified clocks, but it doesn't mean it will go past that.

That's the thing, isn't it?.  Sure, my 2133 RAM is guaranteed to run at 2133 MHz.  But, according to how G.Skill is advertising this kit it should have the XMP 2.0 profile to run it beyond standard specs.

Scarlet-Tech
Hopefully that isn't confusing...

Sorry, it is ;)

gtxjackbauer

Thanks for the link.

From the link;

"Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3/DDR4 memory to perform beyond standard specifications."

and

"Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system."

So?  With G.Skill's XMP 2.0 capable RAM how do I "load" this XMP profile exactly?

Basically what Intel is saying is, the basic standard speed is something like 1866 or 2133 and that you can use the XMP (already OC'd profile) from these 3rd party manufacturers to OC your ram.  The advertised Ram is the speed that these chips can go and should go.  Anything beyond that is out of their hands. 

Lets say for example the GPUs.  You get a reference designed GPU and a OC'd version.  They will only guarantee you the advertised speeds.  Some guys might go beyond that close to a Classified/HOF speeds and others won't be able to go above 10hz.  In that case its a lotto and I am guessing something similar happens with the ram.  I've heard some guy take his DDR4 2133 and boost it to 2600+ and be stable while some others couldn't.  
post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2014/11/19 22:00:14

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
spf33
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/20 18:41:14 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Have you tried contacting GSKILL?

I considered it since the RAM I purchased has "XMP 2.0" slapped all over it on G.Skill's website and Newegg's where I purchased it. 

But haven't felt it was necessary for a couple of reasons; First, this machine is ridonkulous...i mean, photoshop loads in not even two full seconds.  I'll always be waiting for renders from Max, but I've been doing this for a long time and know when to appreciate speed.  And After Effects has a big grin on in its face.

Second, the speed gained from OC'ed RAM is nearly negligible. 

While I do not think G.Skill is purposefully being deceptive, I do think they need to change both their own website (i mean the front facing product page, not the linked .pdf data sheet, which instead of listing something like "XMP 2.0 NOT SUPPORTED" are just left ambiguously blank) and the Newegg.com front facing product page.

But again, XMP has little relevance to me.  It's just simply "marketing".  And since advertising/marketing is my game, it's...annoying.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/20 20:22:22 (permalink)
As I stated gskill doesn't advertise 2133 having XMP anywhere. It may bug you, but on their splash page for DDR4 is specifically States XMP 2.0 support on Next Gen Intel x99 Quad Channel Platforms: Sometimes, simplicity is best. Ripjaws 4 series memory kits above 2400mhz supports Intel xmp 2.0 for automatic and trouble-free tuning."

Their advertising that DDR4 supports XMP 2.0 isn't advertising anything about 2133 mhz Ram. It's like Ford claiming the Fiesta is the official car of Ken Block and is a great drift car. Tons of teenagers and young adults go out buy a fiesta and realize they are slow... But Ford advertised Ken Block's car. Just because it is advertised on the lineup doesn't mean it applies. It's advertising for a reason. They want you to buy.

I can't wait to get to overclocking again, and actually testing my cpu properly. I only went with the 2400 kit, because nothing else was available for 2-4 weeks after I purchased, or it was $700 in some cases.
spf33
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/20 21:32:27 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
As I stated gskill doesn't advertise 2133 having XMP anywhere.

Well, simply put, they are advertising it. 

I'm not quite sure why you think this is an arguable point.

The webpage that G.Skill's has published (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2133c15q-32grb) for the RAM I purchased--clearly--states;

"Just set and go. Programmed with the latest Intel XMP 2.0 profiles, the only thing between you and extreme performance is a simple setting."

It's right there and is cut and dry.

They've either made a mistake and incorrectly, or lazily, published the same webpage for all their DDR4 RAM or they are deliberately being misleading.

As happy as I might be with the speed and performance of my current build, G.Skill will not be in my next machine.

And further, since I'm not privy to Newegg's methods and standards for their product pages, I'm not sure why the same "XMP 2.0 Supported" information is presented there, as well (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231786).

You may be in favor of giving G.Skill and Newegg a green light to be ambiguous, but I'm not.  If I tried to pull something this misleading in my profession or made this type of mistake, I'd be out of a job.

*edit to add that I will be contacting both G.Skill and Newegg in an attempt to get them both to clarify and correct the published specifications of f4-2133c15q.
post edited by spf33 - 2014/11/20 21:46:13
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 01:52:25 (permalink)
I agree with you both.  It would be like Intel saying that their Haswell-E line up have 40 PCI-E Lanes which only 2 out of the 3 do while the other only has 28.  Its misleading, period.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 04:04:26 (permalink)
spf33
*shortened*

That splash page is the same on every single DDR4 kit (see below for EVERY company that has 1 splash page for all kits).  It doesn't vary at all.  If you open the Specification tab, Not the PDF version, you will see it does NOT state it.   
 GSkill site: Notice, this isn't a fancy PDF.. this is one click away from the Generic Splash page... 

Newegg:  Same Deal..  Gerenic splash page is one tab to the left.. Images are linked.. feel free to take a look.

You can argue your side the entire time, but the package you bought does not advertise it in the specifications.  

Would you buy a Mustang without looking at the specs, or would assume it comes with a V8 because a generic Mustang Poster says it has a V8? You wouldn't.  

The splash page doesn't change from Ram modules, which I really think you should contact GSKILL about, but I bet they are going to say, "Did you check the specifications?"  Which you will respond "nope, the generic splash page says XMP 2.0."  They may actually add a disclaimer in there stating that "Ram that isn't overclocked from the factory has NEVER had XMP... so this series doesn't either." I am learning as I go, with the RAM thing... but to me, that is very obvious. 

As a test, I am going to open vendors that I can think of off the top of my head.. 2133 ONLY, and will post if they have XMP 2.0 advertised on the 2133 splash page or specifications...

Corsair: Home site NewEgg: (doesn't have a splash page, STILL advertises XMP 2.0)
Adata: Home Site New Egg 
Muskin: Homesite (notice below, that the NewEgg Pages do not advertise it)
Geil: Home* (Splash Page doesn't mention XMP 2.0, but Specifications Do) NewEgg .

Doesn't Advertise XMP at all:

Crucial, heck doesn't advertise much at all since the :  NewEgg Their site doesn't even advertise 2133 RAM modules for the Ballistic series.
Team Elite: NewEgg
Mushkin: NewEgg

I stopped there... Nearly 75% of the companies use a single splash page for all kits.. as you can see above, Many of them even advertise it in the specifications.  Your argument, after not reading the specifications, may be a moot point.  Mine was wrong and I admitted it, but you failed to look at the specifications.  Does your packaging advertise XMP 2.0 on it? Mine doesn't and it is supported. 

I am not wasting any more time with this.  You aren't going to win the fight, but the above ammo will be like throwing cotton balls at a tank, so feel free to try.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 06:54:34 (permalink)
You guys are a confusing bunch.  Had me thinking the companies did something wrong only to realize the user's eyes got lazy. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 07:07:31 (permalink)
gtxjackbauer
You guys are a confusing bunch.  Had me thinking the companies did something wrong only to realize the user's eyes got lazy. 

When I realized what had happened, I put forth the info.. I think it could have been confusing. Unfortunately, I have to blame it all on user error, and "lazy eyes" lol. I missed a key component, lol. That is why I made sure to apologize to GSKILL when I realized my error.
spf33
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 09:10:55 (permalink)
Simple fact still remains;

post edited by spf33 - 2018/03/14 07:39:51
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: EVGA X99 Classified/FTW/Micro BIOS 1.11 Released 2014/11/21 14:10:35 (permalink)
spf33
Simple fact still remains;

Keep wasting your time. I have shown you enough to prove you failed to read the facts on your own. 

*also, just sell it and buy a no name brand that doesn't use a single splash page for all of their DDR4 Ram.. I mean, even on the pages you try to show off don't even advertise 2133mhz anywhere, so you KNOW you are wasting your time and effort, but have fun, because you are on your own.
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/11/22 04:34:14
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile