Author
smithj1
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/04 09:18:03 (permalink)
Hi Guys

A friend of mine told me his computer was not booting since he replaced his power supply and asked me to look at it.  After trying several different things I discovered that when I had the SATA power cable connected to any of the 3 ports on the power supply the computer would boot when pressing the power button.  The only thing that would happen is a light would blink for a second and then it was off.  If I left the cable disconnected from the PSU the system would start up fine.  Well up to the point of no boot device found because there was no power going to hard drive.  I'm hoping that it is just a bad cable but I am unable to test because my friend is out of town right now and I only have the one SATA power cable and a PERIF cable.  The PERIF cable is powering the case fans.  Can I stick the SATA cable into one of the PERIF connections on the PSU or the PERIF cable into the SATA connection in order to determine if its the connection or the cable?  Didn't want to just go and try it before asking first.  Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

GeorgeP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 SATA connection issue 2014/11/04 16:14:05 (permalink)
    Hello, smithj1

For future testing you can go ahead and try using the sata power cord on one of the perif connections, as they do have the same exact amount of pins at the end. If the PSU does in fact power on while connected to the perif connections then it could be an issue with the particular sata port. At that time we would highly recommend contacting our 24/7 Technical Support for further instructions on getting it replaced.
    smithj1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 SATA connection issue 2014/11/04 18:39:36 (permalink)
    Connected sata power cord to perif psu port and system did not boot. Connected perif cable to sata port on psu with sata cable disconnected and system booted. Think its safe to say its just a bad cable.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile