EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort

Author
Meriak
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/10/29 22:55:22 (permalink)
Hi Folks,

So I am having a bit of a weird issue. I have had this card for almost a week now, and the card has been working flawlessly up until now. I run a surround setup with 3 monitors, each monitor running off of a DisplayPort. Up until a couple hours ago, everything was working fine, until I got a weird flickering of the screen and my middle monitor got all blurry and the left and right stayed clear. I decided to restart my computer to see if it would fix the issue, and when I was booting up there was no display at all! There was not even a BIOS screen being displayed, just the primary screen would flicker that there was no signal from the Displayport (so it was as if the monitor was still getting some kind of input from the card). 

After trying everything to get the display to come back on (from uninstalling to reinstalling the card, resetting CMOS, etc etc) nothing was working to get any kind of display to show. Then I decided to test to see if the HDMI and DVI ports work and in fact they do! I am currently running 2 of the 3 screens as I type this. Whenever I try to plug in the 3rd screen to any of the Displayports they input from all of the cards is disconnected and only a black screen shows (thus requiring a hard restart and unplugging of the Displayport to get any kind of display back). 

So obviously, the entire card is not dead, in fact, it still works fine. It's just none of the Displayports are working anymore. Anyone know what this could possibly be? Faulty card?

Hope someone can help!
post edited by Meriak - 2014/10/29 22:58:20

14 Replies Related Threads

jpcopeland1
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:02:53 (permalink)
    Did you by any chance flash the new Bios? I used it on my GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and my display port would stop sending video to the monitor willy nilly like. Flashed it back to the shipping Bios and it works fine again.
    post edited by jpcopeland1 - 2014/10/29 23:07:54

Intel Core I7 4790K @ 4.8GHZ
    2X EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 SLI @ Default Clocks until drivers improve
    2X Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    ACER XB270H G-Sync 27 Inch monitor
    Corsair Vengance Pro 2400Mhz DDR3 2X8GB
    Some fans and other stuff.
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:05:11 (permalink)
    No, I did not flash the new Bios, so it shouldn't be that. 
    cymplex
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:10:19 (permalink)
    From what I've gathered from troubleshooting the same issue as you (I have an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0), the culprit seems to be Nvidia Drivers. I don't know exactly what is causing it or whether the new one or the prior one makes a difference. But, I did a clean install of Windows tonight out of desperation. I was a little too hasty on this part. But, that is another story. Ugh! Lost files!

Anyway, as I was re-installing the OS, from Windows 8 then to 8.1 took an hour or so and while I was doing this, I was also working on my laptop at the same, which was connected to the same monitor my PC is connected to. I would just switch between the different inputs on my monitor from DVI (Laptop) to Displayport (PC). My issues has been two-fold. 1) the Blackscreen, or, No Video Signal issue upon booting the PC, and, 2) Fuzzy, or, blurry, or pixel-y screen when switching through the inputs on my monitor when I do finally switch back to Displayport. 

Anyway, during this time which probably took an hour or so re-installing and updating my OS, I was eagerly switching back and forth from DVI to DIsplayport and my monitor was okay. Of course, my display driver is using the default Microsoft Driver that Windows defaults to during a clean re-install of Windows. I haven't updated to native Nvidia Driver, yet. But, lo and behold, after my Windows 8.1 updates were all done, I also then updated to the latest Nvidia Driver (34.48). It was then, that the fuzzy screen returned right after my display driver was updated to Nvidia. Coincidence? And the fuzzy screen kept returning after that point. So, the time it took for me to update and reinstall windows and running on default Windows driver, i didn't get fuzzy screen. But, as soon as I updated to Nvidia driver, fuzzy screen.

So, I am pretty sure (99.9%) it is a driver issue. I am actually kinda relieved since it is not hardware, which means it can be fixed?
    jpcopeland1
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:12:20 (permalink)
    You have done everything I would have tried and more. Maybe faulty card. It didn't overheat did it? I know right now my case is totally open and I have a fan blowing directly into my system (until I change out the case for something with a bit better airflow). Can feel the heat coming off these cards.

2X Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:14:06 (permalink)
    Interesting, do you believe it's just the latest drivers causing this then? Have you tried the old drivers?
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:15:22 (permalink)
    jpcopeland1
    You have done everything I would have tried and more. Maybe faulty card. It didn't overheat did it? I know right now my case is totally open and I have a fan blowing directly into my system (until I change out the case for something with a bit better airflow). Can feel the heat coming off these cards.

No I have always been watching the cards temps and it is always runs super cool. Like 34-39 idle and 66 under complete max load. 
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:21:17 (permalink)
    Wow, EVGA responded quickly to my support ticket. They basically told me they think the ports failed prematurely and to just have it RMA'd. Bummer :/ Wonder if I should try the drivers first, but I doubt it's that. 
    jpcopeland1
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:43:59 (permalink)
    I never installed the newest drivers due to the fact that they crash Alien Isolation a lot from what I have read. Will try them when I am done with the game. I'm using the .16 drivers for the time being. I would have to agree that its most likely a port failure.

2X Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    cymplex
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/29 23:54:25 (permalink)
    Meriak
    Wow, EVGA responded quickly to my support ticket. They basically told me they think the ports failed prematurely and to just have it RMA'd. Bummer :/ Wonder if I should try the drivers first, but I doubt it's that. 

So, the ports failed to like lots of people, then?

How often do ports fail? And to multiple people at once?

If you go over to geforce forums, there are lots more people there about No Video Signal using Displayport too from across the different gpu manufacturers.

So, this meant, your port failed, my port failed (except when i was using MS driver as mentioned above while updating windows 8 then to 8.1) and a lot of other people's ports failed from different companies.

All at once, all these ports failed?

post edited by cymplex - 2014/10/29 23:57:21
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/30 00:00:03 (permalink)
    cymplex
    Meriak

If you go over to geforce forums, there are lots more people there about No Video Signal using Displayport too from across the different gpu manufacturers.

So, this meant, your port failed, my port failed (except when i was using MS driver as mentioned above while updating windows 8 then to 8.1) and a lot of other people's ports failed from different companies.

Hmm possibly? I mean, drivers shouldn't affect the graphics card displaying an image at the motherboard BIOS load up screen (and it was for me since i was getting no display at all even at BIOS). That means they might have a widespread hard ware issue some where, something that's short circuiting the DisplayPort ports perhaps? 

But if you got your ports to work then yours haven't failed.
    cymplex
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/30 00:09:25 (permalink)
    Meriak
    cymplex
    Meriak

Hmm possibly? I mean, drivers shouldn't affect the graphics card displaying an image at the motherboard BIOS load up screen (and it was for me since i was getting no display at all even at BIOS). That means they might have a widespread hard ware issue some where, something that's short circuiting the DisplayPort ports perhaps? 

But if you got your ports to work then yours haven't failed.

Well, you could be on to something. I mean, the GTX 900 series did sort of change how the ports are used by allotting, I guess, to the discretion of the manufacturers, how much they wanted to divvy up DP port to other port ratio. So, like the 980's, there's 3 DP ports, 1 HDMI and one DVI as the most common config. Maybe, with this sort of new configuration of ports, the machine robot slave making the ports got confused?

Also, if it is driver, it should be more widespread? but, then again, not everyone is using DP port and most people are probably using DVI or HDMI which is not the issue from what I am reading. DP adoptation should not be that much and only high end people use DP. Especially since DP cables are not even sold everywhere like HDMI cables are. I mean, I got out to get a different DP cable just to check (same thing; didn't work) and I had to cross two rivers to get it. I'm glad, too because if I ordered online, I wouldn't have know until 3-5 business days that the cable I ordered also doesn't work.

but I digress. 

I am just hoping for an official word from Nvidia to tell us what to do. W-T-F-!

PS--read someone at Geforce Forum returned theirs 3 times and the same thing happened, which was no video signal on DP port.
    post edited by cymplex - 2014/10/30 00:12:21
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/10/30 00:21:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's obvious all 3 DP ports are connected to the same bridge or something, since all 3 of them failed at once and at the same time. Somethings causing them to short, and if it's really happening that often, then Nvidia and all manufacturers need to do something about it.

I'll see how it fairs after my RMA. 
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/11/01 00:29:26 (permalink)
    Soooo update... I received my second card and having the same issue with it. No display, not even at the BIOS load up, on the DisplayPorts (all three) but able to get display on the HDMI and DVI. BUT the monitors do get the "no signal" message every now and then when they are plugged into the DisplayPort... Unsure what else it could be. Did something maybe fail in my motherboard that's preventing the usage of Displayport but not HDMI/DVI? Like I said, it was working fine for a week until BAM, glitched screen and after restart there was no display. 
    Meriak
    Re: EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0, working on DVI/HDMI but not DisplayPort 2014/11/01 01:31:28 (permalink)
    Double update... I just solved my problem. Apparently when I ran some Samsung SSD optimitization software a few days ago, it put a custom power setting on Windows 7 that I was unaware of. This power setting was apparently not enough power to supply the three DisplayPort ports with the necessary amount of power. By switching from the custom Samsung power setting to high performance, now all 3 DisplayPorts are working and I am back in business... Sigh lol. I always have it in high performance mode, but I hadn't realized that Samsung would do that.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile