EVGA

Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger.

Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2014/10/29 03:23:25 (permalink)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/24/police-gun-tracking_n_6040930.html

Well this would save a lot of headache with the Ferguson protest. I think before this we need to have police wearing cameras at all times. This will be great way in order to protect us citizens from unethical officers, and to protect officers from unethical citizens. I am sure many of you can find plenty of examples for both sides.

10 Replies Related Threads

Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2825
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/29 10:24:09 (permalink)
    Considering the amount of unarmed people shot in my city, I support this endeavour.

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/29 10:31:38 (permalink)
    Unneeded. Powder residue tells much and wearable cameras are all over the place now for police.
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/29 11:30:16 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Unneeded. Powder residue tells much and wearable cameras are all over the place now for police.

That's true Brad, especially if they have the officer cams.
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/30 04:23:35 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

Uneeded yes but VERY helpful. This has a BIG potential to change how police use their weapons and to help justify and prove that using their weapon at the time of the altercation was necessary. What do you mean wearable cameras are all over the place now for police? Are you talking about the general public? Last time I checked most wearable cameras are not worn all over by the police. Thats why I said they should be wearing cameras(example like a tiny pen sized go-pro). Yes there are departments that have some but majority dont wear cameras on their person. Now with the gun residue, it helps but after so long. After taking a bunch of crime scene  evidences classes when I was in school, I learned gun residue is not as "reliable" or "efficient" as it was back then. Why because people have found new and more effective ways to get around it. You can say that the criminal minds of today have gotten more advanced and sophisticated. Basically there is a bunch of flaws and hoops when it comes to gun residue. Its not as easy as people think it is like on TV lol.

Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/30 09:17:25 (permalink)
    Given that "Law Enforcement" routinely arrests or threatens people who record them, even though it is legal to do so, I think they should wear cameras.  If their camera is not on or working at the time of an incident, any testimony or evidence they have should be inadmissible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/supreme-court-recording-police_n_2201016.html  or http://www.courtroomstrategy.com/2012/11/supreme-court-upholds-legality-of-videotaping-police/ if you dont like HuPo.

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
    | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
    | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
    | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/30 14:01:53 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    Brad_Hawthorne

Uneeded yes but VERY helpful. This has a BIG potential to change how police use their weapons and to help justify and prove that using their weapon at the time of the altercation was necessary. What do you mean wearable cameras are all over the place now for police? Are you talking about the general public? Last time I checked most wearable cameras are not worn all over by the police. Thats why I said they should be wearing cameras(example like a tiny pen sized go-pro). Yes there are departments that have some but majority dont wear cameras on their person. Now with the gun residue, it helps but after so long. After taking a bunch of crime scene  evidences classes when I was in school, I learned gun residue is not as "reliable" or "efficient" as it was back then. Why because people have found new and more effective ways to get around it. You can say that the criminal minds of today have gotten more advanced and sophisticated. Basically there is a bunch of flaws and hoops when it comes to gun residue. Its not as easy as people think it is like on TV lol.

Get back with me the next time a police officer pulls a gun on you. More likely to be hit with lightning. All sense of proportion and rational though is lost on topics like this.
    Fiius
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/30 15:11:47 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    Brad_Hawthorne

Get back with me the next time a police officer pulls a gun on you. More likely to be hit with lightning. All sense of proportion and rational though is lost on topics like this.

I had a gun pulled on me during a traffic stop.
    I was tagged going down a busy street, so I slowed way down, put on my hazards and looked for a safe place to pull over as per the Driver's Manual at the time.  The cop apparently didnt like that and when we finally came to a stop on a side street, he approached with his gun out and gave me a bunch of grief for not pulling over immediately.  His gun finally went back in the holster once he had to get my license and registration.
    The next time on the same road going the opposite direction, I pulled over immediately and another cop gave me a bunch of grief for pulling over on the side of the road and exposing him to traffic.

From this story, I'll bet that you think I was speeding; I wasnt - my plates were showing as returned to the DMV and I had the registration documentation on me.  It was a DMV foul-up.

"All sense of proportion and rational thought" is not lost on topics like this - you just dont share the experiences that others have had.  Las Vegas Metro Police is known for being gun happy and it sounds like other Police forces have similar problems.  A camera keeps people on both side civil.

~Fus
    post edited by Fiius - 2014/10/30 15:13:53

"Abyss v2"
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/30 20:55:39 (permalink)
    The only benefit to tracking when a cops shoots his gun is for alerting dispatch. I don't see the need for it. The funds would be better spent on body cameras.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/31 03:38:04 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    Brad_Hawthorne

Your statement there is not valid. It does not matter how often a police officer pulls a gun on me or anyone else. It just matters when they do. You make it seem as if it never happens. Many people would be extremely surprised how many other people get guns pulled on them on a everyday to day bases. Just think of other countries besides America. This technology will help for sure with places like Mexico and South America because of the drug trafficking and gang violence down in those countries. So dont make it seem as if other countries and their police departments cant adopt this.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Company Makes Gun Tech That Can Track When Police Pull The Trigger. 2014/10/31 09:40:46 (permalink)
    If they want to get really smart, make it alert anytime they put their hand on the grip. There is plenty of times where the officer may rest his hand on the weapon, and the camera can't look back and verify that information.

I think the camera and residue point is probably a more effective use of the current available checks.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile