EVGA

Cisco Routers and Firewalls...Why are the ports on the back?

Author
Bruno747
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3909
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2014/10/25 19:26:56 (permalink)
So I had another large scale rollover last week. Removed a juniper router that was ancient, and replaced it with a new ASA. Once again, I was stuck with a question in my mind that I never have found an answer for. The Iboss I put in at the same time, made me finally come here and ask it.

Why do cisco routers and firewalls and the occasional other network device have all the ports on the back, but the switches have the ports on the front? Then to add to that, why do some of these routers and firewalls not have the appropriate mounting holes to flip them and move the ports to the front? The Iboss has all its ports on the back like a server and has no way to move the ears to the other side so that they face front short of drilling and tapping the case.

I have to admit, this annoys me greatly from a cable management standpoint to have 2-3 cables that have to go around the sides, between equipment in the middle of the rack, or over the top of the rack. 

Is there any reasoning as to why they do this? Junipers have the ports on the front heck even fortinet has them on the front. and most others that I have dealt with do the same.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900

3 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Cisco Routers and Firewalls...Why are the ports on the back? 2014/10/26 08:18:01 (permalink)
    Ease of Access to the Ports maybe or Rack Mounted -v- Shelf or Table Mounted.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

BigRat
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1156
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Cisco Routers and Firewalls...Why are the ports on the back? 2014/10/27 22:17:36 (permalink)
    It might have to be the times when you need access to the ports. With switches, you are dealing with potentially 48 ports or more, depending on the model of the switch, so gaining access to them for ease of connecting/disconnecting the Ethernet cables when adding/removing host devices and you might be dealing with that more than with routers/firewalls.

With routers/firewalls, generally their ports doesn't need to be accessed most of the time as you usually make your necessary connections when first receiving the device and the connections for the router/firewall wouldn't be as much as a switch and sometimes you won't need to plug much of the host devices to it unless they're intended for administration purposes.

Although, most of the times you would make SSL, console, or any sessions to all of the devices for configuration. I guess "cable management" is what came to Cisco's mind, but we don't know. It does sound inconsistent from my view. But you still have status lights at the front of every devices for diagnostics.

Quick! Edit the Wiki!

769Y2OO3T5 <--Use this code when registering!
    ZachA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5067
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: Cisco Routers and Firewalls...Why are the ports on the back? 2014/10/30 07:58:27 (permalink)
    That very issue is why I switched to another brand of networking equipment, here is what new network equipment setup looks like.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile