EVGA

Pc boots up then crashes to black screen right before I get to windows log in screen

Author
Max434
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/10/28 15:39:56 (permalink)
This all started shortly after updating my geforce gtx 660 to 344.48. So at first, I would be playing a game, then after a few minutes, the computer freezes, as the screen goes black (still on, just the color black), causing a hard restart. Now of course it has evolved into whenever I turn on my PC, the pc freezes and goes black again like before, expect it happens before I get to the windows log in screen, again forcing a hard restart. I can only access my desktop in safe mode. I have tried clean uninstalls of drivers, then reinstalling clean. I have tried rolling back my driver versions, I've tried the system restore program , system repair program, I've checked psu 12v reading, it is between the right numbers, I've also tried unplugging my gpu and plugging the monitor directly into my motherboard, which causes the monitor to act as if it's in "sleep" mode, although I can't wake it up at all. Anyone got suggestions of what the problem is or a fix to this?

My parts
GPU - GeForce gtx 660
CPU - Intel core i5-4670k 3.40GHz
RAM - 8 gb
Motherboard - gigabyte ga-z87-hd3
PSU - Coolmax 1000w power supply
OS - windows 7

3 Replies Related Threads

krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5067
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: Pc boots up then crashes to black screen right before I get to windows log in screen 2014/10/28 16:37:36 (permalink)
    I had the same thing happen to me. My screen went black after installing 344.48, but after a few black restarts I was able to go to system restore and put 340.52 back.    I hope someone replies here so I can see what it was.  Good luck.

i7 7800X | EVGA x299 micro |Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
    | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING |Tosiba OCZ-TR150 ssd| EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 PS  | Win 11 pro 64-bit | Corsair Obsidian 350D
    Affiliate Code: PPZ-BV2-N9LE
    "When it stops being fun,  it's no longer a game"
    Heatware 

Max434
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Pc boots up then crashes to black screen right before I get to windows log in screen 2014/10/28 18:10:47 (permalink)
    I'll have to try rolling back to that version and see what happens. I hope someone as well replies with a good fix to this mess, I'm sure ready for it to be over
    EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Pc boots up then crashes to black screen right before I get to windows log in screen 2014/10/29 00:48:37 (permalink)
    Hello Max434

Make sure you have removed the video card when checking if your on board video works. If the system only boots in safe mode this would most likely be a hardware issue. Make sure all drivers are uninstalled for your video card and try Display Driver Uninstaller in the link I have provided below. If you can only boot in safe mode once the drivers are installed again the OS might be corrupt.

If you have access to another Data drive with a fresh install of windows I would highly recommend this in order to rule out a OS or driver corruption issue. If the issues persists I would highly recommend on testing your video card in another system or testing another card in your system in order to verify if the problem is following it. If you are unable to test the card further RMA options might be needed.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile