Need advice on sound card option

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
boredgunner
Over 9000!
  • Total Posts : 19181
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Need advice on sound card option 2014/10/23 21:28:33 (permalink)
SpeedMax

I've heard about such issues as well...and another thing that keeps me away from onboard sound is that I got used to the creative software.

I keep asking myself..should I keep the X-Fi for my old rig and buy a new card, let's say Soundblaster Z or just use the X-Fi?

Edit: I just read that people still prefer the X-Fi over the Soundblaster Z modules as there are some issues with them.

Which X-Fi?  There are a ton of different Creative X-Fi cards.  The only one that clearly outperforms the Sound Blaster Z and Sound Blaster Zx is the X-Fi Titanium HD (and note that there is a regular X-Fi Titanium which is much worse).  

What sound card features do you actually need, if any?  The Z-5500 isn't exactly high enough fidelity to show marked improvement in sound quality with the top dog sound cards.

XeroHertZ
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 718
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Need advice on sound card option 2014/10/25 08:58:33 (permalink)
boredgunner
SpeedMax

I've heard about such issues as well...and another thing that keeps me away from onboard sound is that I got used to the creative software.

I keep asking myself..should I keep the X-Fi for my old rig and buy a new card, let's say Soundblaster Z or just use the X-Fi?

Edit: I just read that people still prefer the X-Fi over the Soundblaster Z modules as there are some issues with them.

Which X-Fi?  There are a ton of different Creative X-Fi cards.  The only one that clearly outperforms the Sound Blaster Z and Sound Blaster Zx is the X-Fi Titanium HD (and note that there is a regular X-Fi Titanium which is much worse).  

What sound card features do you actually need, if any?  The Z-5500 isn't exactly high enough fidelity to show marked improvement in sound quality with the top dog sound cards.

I'm not sure exactly which X-Fi...
At the moment i'm more than satisfied with my X-Fi Fatality Champion and the Z-5500's for 5.1 surround gaming.

Case: Corsair 750D
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Haswell-E 5960x @ 4.4Ghz
Memory: Mushkin Redline DDR4 16GB (4x4GB) 13-13-13-35
GPU's: 2x EVGA GTX 980 SC's
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series
CPU Cooling: Corsair HX110i Liquid Cooling
Storage1: Mushkin Scorpion 240GB PciE SSD
Storage2: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Storage3: 2TB WD Caviar Black
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Speaker: Logitech Z-5500