EVGA

Helpful ReplyGTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?!

Author
iNoToRiOuS
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 140
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2014/10/22 12:13:13 (permalink)
So, what is the difference in these cards?

Is it only factory overclocks?

Anything that would be better for more overclocking headroom, such as a higher power target %?

aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 12:30:37 (permalink)
Those are usually just slightly better factory clocks....  that's all

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
Tomca
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 12:32:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby EVGATech_JaesonW 2014/10/22 13:58:19
Higher factory OC's, also the SSC and FTW have improved power phases and circuits, the FTW also has an improved heatsink design with a plate directly connecting the heat pipes to the chip :D And yes the FTW will have better OC headroom due to the extra power phases, it is also a better binned chip than the rest.
post edited by Tomca - 2014/10/22 12:50:35

i5-4670k | z87-D3HP | EVGA gtx980ti Classified | 1TB WD blue| 128gb 840evo SSD | EVGA 750w G2 | Mionix Naos 7000 | Corsair k70rgb (Cherry mx Brown) |
boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 13:27:32 (permalink)
http://www.evga.com/articles/00872/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-970/#2978

Click the different GTX970 models and look closely at the difference in the specs.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.
EVGATech_JaesonW
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 910
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 13:59:35 (permalink)
Tomca nailed the differences exactly. SC= Superclocked, SSC= Super Superclocked, and FTW= For The Win

EVGA Customer Service Manager
Have a moment? Please rate our service 
iNoToRiOuS
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 14:53:03 (permalink)
Tomca
Higher factory OC's, also the SSC and FTW have improved power phases and circuits, the FTW also has an improved heatsink design with a plate directly connecting the heat pipes to the chip :D And yes the FTW will have better OC headroom due to the extra power phases, it is also a better binned chip than the rest.

Alright, do you think it's worth getting the FTW edition then?

Also, I can't seem to find it listed anywhere, even amazon has pre-orders for the others.

dave851
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1696
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 14:53:48 (permalink)
Tomca

Just want to add on to this, yes the card will have more headroom for overclocking but there is no guarantee it will overclock better. Silicon lottery is still a factor.
Diomar13
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 15:03:24 (permalink)
Hi all. I'm new here so I hope I'm not in the wrong forum for the question. I'm giving my hubby for birthday all the components for him to build his own Gaming pc and I have an unopened GTX 770 Dual Classified with ACX now I'm thinking if I should do the step up program and exchange it for a GTX 970 and if I should I would like to know for which one should I exchange it. I thought about the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0. Would like your help on deciding what to do. 
post edited by Diomar13 - 2014/10/22 15:24:32
freEVfoldinGA
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/22 15:16:28 (permalink)
Tomca

EVGATech_JaesonW
Tomca nailed the differences exactly. SC= Superclocked, SSC= Super Superclocked, and FTW= For The Win

Really? Because from what I've seen based on review cards, and heard from EVGA_Jacob the 970 ACX boards are all identical save for two things: the single VRM chip that allows slightly higher voltage on the SSC and FTW, not increased amount of power phases or better quality components in said power phases. And second are the additional BIOS switches on the SSC (switches for dual BIOS) and FTW (switches for triple BIOS).

Increased power phases for better power filtering or better components in the power phases for both better filtering as well as decreased chances of coil whine would be significant benefits, but this is the first I've heard of this and I've heard and seen things leading me to believe the contrary.
post edited by freEVfoldinGA - 2014/10/22 16:01:32

Tomca
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 11:24:46 (permalink)
freEVfoldinGA
Tomca

EVGATech_JaesonW

Really? Because from what I've seen based on review cards, and heard from EVGA_Jacob the 970 ACX boards are all identical save for two things: the single VRM chip that allows slightly higher voltage on the SSC and FTW, not increased amount of power phases or better quality components in said power phases. And second are the additional BIOS switches on the SSC (switches for dual BIOS) and FTW (switches for triple BIOS).

Increased power phases for better power filtering or better components in the power phases for both better filtering as well as decreased chances of coil whine would be significant benefits, but this is the first I've heard of this and I've heard and seen things leading me to believe the contrary.

Yeah sorry, was worded slightly wrong. I dont think it has better quality power phases, just more and a slightly different circuit

i5-4670k | z87-D3HP | EVGA gtx980ti Classified | 1TB WD blue| 128gb 840evo SSD | EVGA 750w G2 | Mionix Naos 7000 | Corsair k70rgb (Cherry mx Brown) |
Sprinx
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 364
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 12:52:51 (permalink)
Diomar13
Hi all. I'm new here so I hope I'm not in the wrong forum for the question. I'm giving my hubby for birthday all the components for him to build his own Gaming pc and I have an unopened GTX 770 Dual Classified with ACX now I'm thinking if I should do the step up program and exchange it for a GTX 970 and if I should I would like to know for which one should I exchange it. I thought about the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0. Would like your help on deciding what to do. 

-->>> Moved to
http://forums.evga.com/Ne...hic-card-m2239274.aspx

post edited by Sprinx - 2014/10/23 13:21:03

ASUS Prime X570-Pro AM4 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3200
Corsair Crystal 570X | Corsair CX-F CX750F PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum CPU AIO 

Secondary Tri-SLI just-for-fun 790i FTW rig: http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=21014

Diomar13
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 12:59:29 (permalink)
ok. Done. 
freEVfoldinGA
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 15:40:31 (permalink)
Tomca
freEVfoldinGA
Tomca

EVGATech_JaesonW

Yeah sorry, was worded slightly wrong. I dont think it has better quality power phases, just more and a slightly different circuit

I don't believe it has more power phases either, it appears to be the same 4+2 that all the other EVGA 970s are. Picture of the 970 FTW from Anandtech, picture of the 970 SC from TechPowerUp. Note the card sent to TPU I believe to be a preproduction PCB hence the unfilled component slots and minor differences shown, I have a 970 SSC whose PCB appears identical to the FTW picture from Anandtech furthering this belief.

Again the only differences I am aware of between the SSC/FTW PCB from the rest of the ACX 970s is the single VRM controller chip that allows for higher voltage on those cards and the BIOS switches. Below are my sources to validate that, if anyone has proof to the contrary I'd like to see it.

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2228491
http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club/2310#post_22948695 read from there to post #2322 on the next page.
http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2236234 -This is actually just the VRM controller from the reference 980, so the SSC/FTW can be accurately described as 970 ACX PCBs with the VRM controller chip from the 980.

post edited by freEVfoldinGA - 2014/10/23 16:20:41

crezno
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 16:12:26 (permalink)
The 970 SSC and FTW have upgrade VRMs/SFCs. I believe they both have 4 SFC or whatever EVGA is calling them.  Its possible that it has more power phases, but it looks like a 3+1, possible a 5+1 depending on how you look at it. I know that it was stated before that they upgraded the components which allowed allowed more voltage which allows higher stock overclocks. I believe there is 2/3 Bios switches on respective cards as well.

The only difference from the SSC and FTW is the cooler design.  The SSC vents out the front and back with horizontal fin directions meaning some air will vent out the rear of the case and some will vent out the front of the card back into the case.  The FTW has vertical fins meaning that no air is vented out the rear of the case, its vented out the top and bottom of the card (towards the mobo and away from mobo).  With the addition of a solid plate that is connected to the heat pipes rather than heatpipes directly touching the gpu. In single card setups, this allow higher air flow over shorter distances which decreased temperatures by 4 degrees Celsius. Which lower temps usually are accompanied by slower fan speeds which nets you a quieter cooling solution.

However in SLI setups the vertical fins may pose much higher temps in the top card eliminating the cooling efficiency.
post edited by crezno - 2014/10/23 16:22:21

dave851
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1696
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 21:36:50 (permalink)
crezno
Its possible that it has more power phases, but it looks like a 3+1, possible a 5+1 depending on how you look at it. I know that it was stated before that they upgraded the components which allowed allowed more voltage which allows higher stock overclocks. I believe there is 2/3 Bios switches on respective cards as well.

The SSC vents out the front and back with horizontal fin directions meaning some air will vent out the rear of the case and some will vent out the front of the card back into the case.  The FTW has vertical fins meaning that no air is vented out the rear of the case, its vented out the top and bottom of the card (towards the mobo and away from mobo).  With the addition of a solid plate that is connected to the heat pipes rather than heatpipes directly touching the gpu. In single card setups, this allow higher air flow over shorter distances which decreased temperatures by 4 degrees Celsius. Which lower temps usually are accompanied by slower fan speeds which nets you a quieter cooling solution.

Two things, freEVfoldinGA is right is those links are accurate for the ftw pcb then its definite 4+2 power phases. What you are mentiong about the coolers is that some have the refreence design that blows air out the back, and some have the ACX type coolers. 
crezno
SSC Member
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/23 21:46:19 (permalink)
dave851
crezno
Its possible that it has more power phases, but it looks like a 3+1, possible a 5+1 depending on how you look at it. I know that it was stated before that they upgraded the components which allowed allowed more voltage which allows higher stock overclocks. I believe there is 2/3 Bios switches on respective cards as well.

The SSC vents out the front and back with horizontal fin directions meaning some air will vent out the rear of the case and some will vent out the front of the card back into the case.  The FTW has vertical fins meaning that no air is vented out the rear of the case, its vented out the top and bottom of the card (towards the mobo and away from mobo).  With the addition of a solid plate that is connected to the heat pipes rather than heatpipes directly touching the gpu. In single card setups, this allow higher air flow over shorter distances which decreased temperatures by 4 degrees Celsius. Which lower temps usually are accompanied by slower fan speeds which nets you a quieter cooling solution.

Two things, freEVfoldinGA is right is those links are accurate for the ftw pcb then its definite 4+2 power phases. What you are mentiong about the coolers is that some have the refreence design that blows air out the back, and some have the ACX type coolers. 

lol. That was my point. What I was explaining is that they are both ACX 2.0 Designs. One vents partially out the back and one doesn't. That is the difference in the cooler. My posting had nothing to do with reference coolers.

iNoToRiOuS
Superclocked Member
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/25 07:06:14 (permalink)
So, is there any reason to buy a FTW edition over the regular?

What about if I plan to SLI or water cool in the future?

Jesso2k
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/25 07:30:41 (permalink)
In summary the FTW has more heatpipes in it's cooler design, higher stock clock and 3 way bios switch.

The SSC has a two way bios switch an older great pipe design (thought to be less effective but I'd like to see a head to head).

As it stands I got my SSC yesterday and put it through its paces. It scrapped at an effective 1505 mhz core clock before crashing out or showing it keeps hitting it's power limit. So now I'm comfortably over a 10,000 fire strike score with an i5 4590. The gpu doesn't go over 77C while looping the heaven benchmark and its fan noise isn't offensive in keeping it there, so no throttling.

To me that's unbelievable, and not only could I find the card in stock but I got it at a $20 discount! (in Canada, and likely an after effect of EVGA's slow start put to put the PR fires). So atleast in Canada that turns into a $35 gap between the two.

All I can say is you won't feel left out with the SSC, I'd certainly swap cooler designs if offered through promotion but it doesn't really matter since I've achieved my highest clock speeds without thermal throttling occurring which is what it's all about.
post edited by Jesso2k - 2014/10/25 07:34:47

crezno
SSC Member
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/25 15:10:07 (permalink)
They are both good.

If you are going to watercool, it doesn't matter which one you get. At that point they are the same card only the FTW has 3 BIOS vs 2 of the SSC.

The air coolers are the only difference after that.

The Air coolers have been corrected. People need to understand that the FTW and SSC both use ACX 2.0. That doesn't mean its the same cooler.  The first release of the SSC had an defective cooler where the 3 heatpipes that touched the GPU were mis aligned and only 2 of the heat pipes actually touched the GPU. That has been corrected.

If you are holding the videocards in front of you so you are looking into the fans and the read of the card is to the left:

The Current FTW ACX 2.0 has cooling fins that to go Top to Bottom. Meaning the air is not vented out the rear of the case. Its vented towards the mobo and away from the mobo. Since the fins are vertical they air only has to travel a few inches to get reducing pressure required to move the air out, and increases the surface area of cooler air touching the fins.  This reduced noise as temps are lower. They have tested, and temps are about 4C lower that the SSC during the same Benchmark.  The FTW can come in quieter as well as it will have a reduced fan speed.

The Current SSC ACX 2.0 has cooling fins that go left to right. Meaning the air is vented out the rear of the case, and out the front of the card back in to the case.  It is a much longer stretch of area the air has to travel down before being released, requiring more pressure, resulting in higher fan speeds. The plus side, is that 50% of the air can be expelled out of the rear of the case, allowing easier evacuation of the head from the case. This is a more optimal design for SLI as the top card is only introduced to about 50% of the head from the bottom card.  However, overall the cooling of the cooler is slightly less effective that the FTW cooler.

So as I said before, if you plan to SLI on air, the SSC will more than likely run at cooler temps on the top card. If you plan to run 1 card, the FTW will prove to be better. If you water cool, the cards are essentially the same.

dtdono0
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/26 09:49:16 (permalink)
Basically it's buy FTW or bust:  edit: okay I shouldn't have said bust lol...just a better air cooler design

(taken from another source)

GPU contact on EVGA 970's other than the 970 FTW

GPU contact on the 970 FTW

post edited by dtdono0 - 2014/10/26 10:54:24
Jesso2k
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/26 10:06:59 (permalink)
Why is a two direct contact heatpipe design a bust if it works? 

You don't have to tell me why the FTW is better, but I personally saved $50 Cdn going with the SSC. It's got the same vrm management, I've got my oc dialed up to 1505mhz on the core clock and another +450mhz on the memory... Runs stable through loops of the Heaven benchmark with the temp never getting higher than 78° (while leaving the fan profile at default)...

So I've got a card I can run 24/7 at it's max potential (which is quite high) without the aid of water cooling. Hardly a bust. 

flopticalcube
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2014/10/26 10:17:18 (permalink)
Jesso2k

Because on the internet, everyone is a thermal design expert, especially if they repeat what they read somewhere else.

Affiliate Code: QX8LPD9RSI
Gamer_Josh
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2015/02/05 11:45:12 (permalink)
flopticalcube
Jesso2k

Because on the internet, everyone is a thermal design expert, especially if they repeat what they read somewhere else.

I know this is a few months old, but that's a good one, haha. On the internet, almost everyone is an expert on video card design and cooling, so of course they know better than the engineers that designed it! ;-)
finshur
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 970, SC, SSC, FTW, What do they mean?! 2015/05/22 05:58:26 (permalink)
That has all changed since ACX 2.0+, There the same except the bios switch and 6 phase power.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile