EVGA

Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79

Author
Akriant
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/10/05 21:13:19 (permalink)
Hello everyone, I need some advice here, or clarification.

So I've switched from MSI Xpower II to EVGA Dark. Updated the bios to 2.12. Started working back to my OC of 4.5GHZ that my i7 3930k can do. Ended up setting Vcore Vdrop to no Vdrop, because I need 1.35v under load for stability. Everything worked fine, I've used 1.305V, and it gave me 1.366 under load. Tested for 2 hours. So I've restarted, to lower Vcore, and noticed that VSA was pumping 1.86V ON AUTO!!!!! IDK whether it was doing so during my 2h stability test or not, but I almost screamed at my monitor, when I saw it. So I've manually set to 1.1v ->>> Bios started showing 1.45v on VSA....I've set 0.9V on VSA and it started showing 1.206v. Now, are those REAL readings? Or a bios glitch? When I set Vcore drop to 60%, readings stabilized, and I was getting the actual numbers I manual put it.

My worry is that did I just potentially degraded my CPU, or was it a bios glitch and I shouldn't be flipping out on my new Evga board?

Thanks,

Akriant

26 Replies Related Threads

Trelor
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 496
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 11:18:34 (permalink)
    Try 2.11 someone else reported an issue in the 2.12 ( http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-X79-Dark-BIOS-212-Released-m2205283.aspx ).

Heatware: Trelor - I primarily use eBay which is attached to my heatware.
    Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 13:07:05 (permalink)
    Ok, will it allow me to reverse 2.12 to 2.11, if I try to install 2.11? I don't want to touch 2.07 bios on switch one, as it's my ultimate backup.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 14:13:22 (permalink)
    You can flash any BIOS revision you want.  In my experience, rev 2.10 has been solid.  No issue's.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 14:25:27 (permalink)
    Guess I'll try both. I was having some more strange issues today with 2.12: freezing or BSODing at idle (with 09c error) no matter whether the Vcore was 1.365, 1.37, 1.375 or 1.38. Yesterday I've done 4h of prime and then 2h and no issue. Today I had to clear CMOS 3 times and go back to 4.2ghz, with different settings, and it's "working" again.
    When I'll get back home I'm def. trying 2.10 and 2.11
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 14:35:41 (permalink)
    Let us know how those BIOS rev's work out for you or if you have any other questions...

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/06 22:10:20 (permalink)

Here's H-W monitor's readings after 5h Prime 95 test. During the test the avg Vcore was at 1.361 according to HW monitor.

I've circled some of my concerns. Are those actual spikes or just diode/reading anomalies? (I'm mostly talking about Vcore spike and PCH crazy spike, but 5V rail going to 5.3 is also a concern)
    Also you'll see System and Chipset temperatures spike, but those are most likely incorrect reading, so I'm not worried about those

Oh, and P.S. thanks for your help and opinion in advance.
    post edited by Akriant - 2014/10/06 22:16:38

Attached Image(s)

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 07:03:21 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what to make of all those crazy readings.  Look how low your +3.3v reading dropped to as well.

Are you running any other monitoring software while you have the HW monitor running?  If so, shut those down to see if it makes any difference.

Also, do you have "Internal PLL Override" enabled in the BIOS?  If not, try enabling it.  (may not make any difference, but worth trying)

I use Aida64 Extreme to do all my monitoring and have never seen anything like what you're seeing.  As far as software monitoring goes, I've found it to be the most accurate.  You can get a trial version and info here >>  http://www.finalwire.com/
    I've been using this (paid version) for years.  Wouldn't be without it.

Do you have a spare PSU to try out in case your current one could be causing power issue's?
    post edited by bdary - 2014/10/07 07:07:45

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 07:29:50 (permalink)
    bdary
    I'm not sure what to make of all those crazy readings.  Look how low your +3.3v reading dropped to as well.

Are you running any other monitoring software while you have the HW monitor running?  If so, shut those down to see if it makes any difference.

Also, do you have "Internal PLL Override" enabled in the BIOS?  If not, try enabling it.  (may not make any difference, but worth trying)

I use Aida64 Extreme to do all my monitoring and have never seen anything like what you're seeing.  As far as software monitoring goes, I've found it to be the most accurate.  You can get a trial version and info here >> 

Do you have a spare PSU to try out in case your current one could be causing power issue's?

1. Nope, I've turned off all other monitoring software, and left only Prime, control panel and HW running during the blend test.
    2.PLL Override is enabled.
    3. I thought Aida 64 Extreme only showed real-time readings @  trial version, so I wouldn't be able to see those spikes, unless I glue myself to the monitor for 5h+ during the course of the test.

P.S. I'm using 2 y.o. Lepa G1600 PSU, so plenty of power there, I've used it on my previous build without any problems. And no, unfortunately I don't have a second PSU right now to test.
    How accurate is EVGA's Eleet?

post edited by Akriant - 2014/10/07 07:31:51
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 07:39:27 (permalink)
    Akriant
    bdary

I use Aida64 Extreme to do all my monitoring and have never seen anything like what you're seeing.  As far as software monitoring goes, I've found it to be the most accurate.  You can get a trial version and info here >> 

1. Nope, I've turned off all other monitoring software, and left only Prime, control panel and HW running during the blend test.
    2.PLL Override is enabled.
    3. I thought Aida 64 Extreme only showed real-time readings @  trial version, so I wouldn't be able to see those spikes, unless I glue myself to the monitor for 5h+ during the course of the test.

P.S. I'm using 2 y.o. Lepa G1600 PSU, so plenty of power there.

How accurate is EVGA's Eleet?

Hmm, you may be right about Aida's trial version.  Been several years since I used it before buying.

You could try Eleet for a comparison to what HW is showing you.  At least you'd have a comparison.

Yes, your Lepa is plenty of power.  I am just wondering why HW is showing such strange voltage readings?  From out of spec rail readings to the various voltage spikes you referred to??  Trying to narrow this down to hardware or software issue's.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 07:55:51 (permalink)
    Yeah. Well, I might try to snatch a second LEPA from ebay, to compare the settings (snatch a used one + ebay bucks = roughly 100$) . Or Maxrevo 1500w (enermax) Or buy EVGA NOVA 1600w psu, but that would take some time, I don't have extra 400 to shell out right now.
    Also: can it be due to extension cables? I'm using extensions for all pci-e cables, xcept the one, that connects to mobo for extra power, CPU 8-pin, and 24pin extension cables, because Xigmatek Elysium is too huge, and LEPA's cables aren't anywhere near long enough.
    post edited by Akriant - 2014/10/07 08:11:27
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 08:11:00 (permalink)
    It's possible the extension cables could cause these issue's.  Try using Eleet to see how the numbers compare to when using HW.  Hopefully it's a reporting error in HW's software.

I wouldn't spend any money on a PSU yet until I tried to rule out software or possibly a mobo issue.  I only asked in case you just happened to have another laying around.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 08:17:00 (permalink)
    bdary
    It's possible the extension cables could cause these issue's.  Try using Eleet to see how the numbers compare to when using HW.  Hopefully it's a reporting error in HW's software.

I wouldn't spend any money on a PSU yet until I tried to rule out software or possibly a mobo issue.  I only asked in case you just happened to have another laying around.

Well, I have OCZ 850w GOLD PSU (*shudders*), but it's only for the darkest day, or the blackest night, that thing coil whines like crazy.
    Yeah, I'll do some testing with Eleet tonight.
    I really Hope it's HW misread, rather than psu or mobo (especially the latter, I've just put up my loop together), but it might be PSU ----> my previous system would go unstable, if psu was turned off from the power for couple of days, and I'd have to reset, and then run prime for 2mins, then reset again, and then put in new OC settings, and then it would work. (Msi Xpower II mobo)
    post edited by Akriant - 2014/10/07 08:19:28
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 10:30:46 (permalink)
    Akriant
    bdary

Well, I have OCZ 850w GOLD PSU (*shudders*), but it's only for the darkest day, or the blackest night, that thing coil whines like crazy.
    Yeah, I'll do some testing with Eleet tonight.
    I really Hope it's HW misread, rather than psu or mobo (especially the latter, I've just put up my loop together), but it might be PSU ----> my previous system would go unstable, if psu was turned off from the power for couple of days, and I'd have to reset, and then run prime for 2mins, then reset again, and then put in new OC settings, and then it would work. (Msi Xpower II mobo)

That's interesting.  And that was happening with your current PSU I take it?

Yeah, test it out with Eleet when you have time and see what you get.  You have the OCZ PSU to fall back on at least for testing purposes if need be.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 11:14:01 (permalink)
    bdary
    That's interesting.  And that was happening with your current PSU I take it?

Yes
    Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/07 16:55:21 (permalink)
    Eleet shows only real time volgaes, just checked, as well as Aida 64 Extreme (on trial mode).

On a side note: After 5h of Prime and 2h of gameplay last night, I've got back today home, and I'm getting constant 09C BSOD ever 30 minutes or so =\, aside from Vcore, what may be causing it? VSA sagging @ Intel Spec setting in Bios? or VTT? (VSA set at 1.188-1.1196, VCCIO set at 1.155) (running 32gb ddr3 1866 Gskill Ram, tried XMP, tried manual, tried 1333 with 11-11-11-30 timings -> still getting the code. Last night was going fine, today this mess, RAM from previous build, had it memtested for 24h with 0 errors on last build, so idk).

Update: Error code on mobo is usually 51, 52 or 53. Even with one stick. 0_o
    post edited by Akriant - 2014/10/07 20:01:10
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/08 11:59:15 (permalink)
    Akriant
    Eleet shows only real time volgaes, just checked, as well as Aida 64 Extreme (on trial mode).

On a side note: After 5h of Prime and 2h of gameplay last night, I've got back today home, and I'm getting constant 09C BSOD ever 30 minutes or so =\, aside from Vcore, what may be causing it? VSA sagging @ Intel Spec setting in Bios? or VTT? (VSA set at 1.188-1.1196, VCCIO set at 1.155) (running 32gb ddr3 1866 Gskill Ram, tried XMP, tried manual, tried 1333 with 11-11-11-30 timings -> still getting the code. Last night was going fine, today this mess, RAM from previous build, had it memtested for 24h with 0 errors on last build, so idk).

Update: Error code on mobo is usually 51, 52 or 53. Even with one stick. 0_o

Trying to run that amount of Ram and getting a 9C code would usually mean an increase in VSA voltage is needed.  I would try setting this in BIOS at 1.20v and use VSA Intel Spec Vdroop.  I would also match the VCCIO voltage or set pretty to the VSA as Intel recommends.  I always just set those two voltages the same.  The VCCIO ends up running about .010v less than the VSA when set the same in BIOS.

Also, set your ram in BIOS to mfg'r specs.  Only the first four (main) timing specs and the frequency.  Leave the rest on auto (for now) including the command rate.  Set your Dimm voltage manually as bank one tends to run a bit low.  If your dimm voltage spec calls for 1.50v, I would try setting both banks at 1.56v.

Test this out and see how it works out.  Post back with your results...

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/08 20:48:57 (permalink)
    I will do just that, when I'm done with testing. What I am seeing is that (and right now I don't have a multimeter on my hands, so I can't confirm my suspicion) in-bios Vcore readings might be severely off. Why am I saying that? Well, when I pumped 1.37v through my 3930k back in Xpower II, I  was getting up to 70c on some of the cores @ 4.5/4.6ghz. With this board, using the same tim, same waterblock, same rads, same pumps and having roughly the same room temperature, I am barely hitting 60-62c on cores. The board claims that vcore is at 1.36v, but HW monitors implies that it might be 1.32 actually, with dips to 1.305. If that is the case then no wonder I can't get it stable. (although I did 2.5h of prime today at 4.2ghz from coold boot, and same yesterday before going to bed, at 1.28v, and that worked well it seems). I'm going to grab a multimeter to see what's really going on, in the mean time I'm increasing vcore by 0.005 increments. If the readings in bios are really wrong, then that's why I might be getting 09c as well.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/09 06:38:16 (permalink)
    A multimeter is the only way to know for sure & exactly what the voltages are.  And you never know, maybe the vcore reading from your MSI board was wrong too.  Unless you verified it with a multimeter of course.

Personally, I don't go by the actual voltage, I just use the readings as a guide.  I just use the minimum amount of voltage(s) needed to run my system stable at the clock speed I'm looking to run at.  I start low and incremently work my way up until I'm stable.  Then if the VRM and core temps are ok (to me) while stability testing, I'm good to go.  So the "actual" voltage numbers are irrelevant to me using this method.

Keep me posted on how your testing is going...

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/10 20:51:54 (permalink)
    AAAAAND an Update:
    I've been testing it all day back on Wednesday, tinkering with Vcore. Installed OCCT to test + see the readings. Basically Vcore is 1.32 under any software aside from Bios and eleet. Still waiting on my multimeter to arrive on Monday. But back to my progress: 4h of OCCT, and then all next day stable as well @ 4.3ghz with that Vcore. I'm away from my rig for the weekend, but if things keep up the way they do right now, I'll prly be able to hit my 4.5 ghz at that rate.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/11 08:06:42 (permalink)
    Akriant
    AAAAAND an Update:
    I've been testing it all day back on Wednesday, tinkering with Vcore. Installed OCCT to test + see the readings. Basically Vcore is 1.32 under any software aside from Bios and eleet. Still waiting on my multimeter to arrive on Monday. But back to my progress: 4h of OCCT, and then all next day stable as well @ 4.3ghz with that Vcore. I'm away from my rig for the weekend, but if things keep up the way they do right now, I'll prly be able to hit my 4.5 ghz at that rate.

Sounds like you're getting everything dialed in...

I do have a question though.  1.32v vcore under any software reading??  That's pretty bad.  Aida64 reads pretty close to what is set in BIOS.  Personally, I wouldn't use any software that would give me voltages that far off.  That's (1.32v) more vcore than I use for a stable 4.5Ghz OC with Vdroop enabled.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/11 17:36:00 (permalink)
    bdary
    Akriant
    AAAAAND an Update:

Sounds like you're getting everything dialed in...

I do have a question though.  1.32v vcore under any software reading??  That's pretty bad.  Aida64 reads pretty close to what is set in BIOS.  Personally, I wouldn't use any software that would give me voltages that far off.  That's (1.32v) more vcore than I use for a stable 4.5Ghz OC with Vdroop enabled.

Well, each chip is different.  I had to make a jump from 1.27 for 4.2ghz to those 1.32 for 4.3ghz. 1.32 (1.31 under load). 13.2vcore via CPU-Z, H-W monitor, AIDA 64.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/12 06:44:27 (permalink)
    I would suspect a reporting error if it was one program, possibly two, but all those reporting the same thing that far off.  I would suspect a sensor failure.  The only thing that keeps me from feeling 100% about that is, you mentioned in a previous post that Eleet reports correctly as well as in the BIOS.  This is strange.

Akriant
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/12 10:47:19 (permalink)
    bdary
    I would suspect a reporting error if it was one program, possibly two, but all those reporting the same thing that far off.  I would suspect a sensor failure.  The only thing that keeps me from feeling 100% about that is, you mentioned in a previous post that Eleet reports correctly as well as in the BIOS.  This is strange.

Yeah, but I'm not worrying, temps are fine, and tomorrow I'll get the actual multimeter readings
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/12 11:40:54 (permalink)
    It'll be interesting to hear what the actual voltages are vs the software readings you've been seeing...

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/23 02:31:18 (permalink)
    Any feedback on this yet?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Vcore Vdrop setting and VSA correlation, something is very, very wrong. EVGA DARK x79 2014/10/26 05:36:47 (permalink)
    Akriant
    bdary

Yeah, but I'm not worrying, temps are fine, and tomorrow I'll get the actual multimeter readings

So how do the voltages compare using the DMM vs what you were seeing with your software?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile