EVGA

Same Temp Readings when Playing WarThunder on High or Low preset GTX 660 2GB

Author
MrSharpy
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/29 10:25:34 (permalink)
So let's get started, I downloaded WarThunder again after I uninstalled it 8 months ago and so I start the game with the Default High preset Vsync OFF while Msi Afterburner in the background, and after 1 match of War Thunder I checked my MSI and it's peak was 78c and I'm thinking to myself "I didn't remember it being that high the last time I played this game." because 8 months ago I still had a working EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB also I remember playing War Thunder on Movie preset (Highest Preset), with Vsync ON and Motion Blur OFF and I think the Temps were like any other game I played 72C- 77c peak. So I started the game on Low preset this time and not much changed 2c thats all.
So no matter what preset you use they all give you more FPS but the Temps are pretty much the same?
High Preset Reading:

Low Preset:

3 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10329
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Same Temp Readings when Playing WarThunder on High or Low preset GTX 660 2GB 2014/09/29 14:39:42 (permalink)
    Based on your pics, it makes sense.

If you look at your GPU usage, one is at 98%, the other at 97%.  So they were working relatively the same.  Also, the power target exceeded 100% in both cases, albeit the high preset a bit higher.

If you're not using a custom fan profile, you should give it a try.  It will make a difference in temps and probably a bit in performance as well.  I believe the 660 like most of the 600 series cards will throttle down when temps exceed 70C.  So optimally, you'd want to set your fan curve to try and maintain 70C or under to avoid throttling.

Also, set your power target up even if you're not OC'ing the core or memory.  Your card will also throttle down at or soon after reaching the 100% power target threshold.

FUSIONCHA0S
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Same Temp Readings when Playing WarThunder on High or Low preset GTX 660 2GB 2014/09/30 07:04:46 (permalink)
    Whats the increment your stats are reading at?, are these stats taken from the same point in the game?  You will obviously see different readings if you viewing a more graphical area or playing field hence you fan speed will be higher along with your gpu usage.  Like bdary said from above.  Play with the fan settings and turn off auto fan speed.  I dont know if msi afterburner has fps tracking in game like evga has.  But utilize the FPS monitor to see the highs and lows to compare

MrSharpy
    • Total Posts : 85
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Same Temp Readings when Playing WarThunder on High or Low preset GTX 660 2GB 2014/09/30 08:35:38 (permalink)
    I searched this problem up and as I suspected it's one of those games that sucks the life out the GPU because of the High FPS ingame and FUSIONCHA0S both readings were on a small island map which had not much green and lots of sky. But anyway as I suspected people have had the same problem and by turning V-Sync ON that solves the problem, in a previous thread a gentlemen told me about StarCraft 2 causing high temps due to the High FPS at Main or Game Menu.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile