EVGA

Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/26 09:57:53 (permalink)
He did the wrong thing but I almost felt a little bad for him. You could almost hear that "I just screwed up royally" tone in his voice when he was calling for the ambulance. There should be ramifications for his poor action but I do believe it was just a bad call on his part. I bet the guy that was shot is set for life!
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/26 10:06:47 (permalink)
I agree, I don't think the cop is a bad dude....he just made a bad call. You could totally hear the "what did I just do" in his voice.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12859
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/26 12:35:35 (permalink)
kaninja
I agree, I don't think the cop is a bad dude....he just made a bad call. You could totally hear the "what did I just do" in his voice.

I do agree. It's hard to say without actually being there but it seems the better option would have been the taser, unfortunately that his reaction was the gun. Why he would roll up on the guy like that though I don't understand, obviously the guy was getting out and likely had unbuckled as soon as he hit the parking lot which is perfectly normal. Especially if he was in a hurry. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, a hip is a delicate area to be shot.

I do agree, never get out of the car, and never reach back in if already out. There was the cop that shot that 87(?) year old guy who reached back in his truck for the cane this summer. 

Very unfortunate that the man reached back into the car so quickly, I suspect if he had told the officer, "my ID is in the car", things would be different. (Not saying what he did is wrong, just hypothesizing here.)

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/26 13:45:24 (permalink)
He has been released from hospital and will be 100% fine.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Hillguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1320
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/26 14:02:58 (permalink)
kaninja
He has been released from hospital and will be 100% fine.

Very lucky man

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
Jobarts
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 03:02:22 (permalink)
Yep, cop over reacted..
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 09:51:54 (permalink)
100% Wrong, this Cop should be Fired and needs to spend some time in Jail.
Deadly Force for a Seatbelt Violation. I would like to say so much on this but then it would be off topic.
I would have done the same as the person in the video because that is where my license is when I drive.

Edited:
Deadly Force for a Seatbelt Violation in a Parking Lot.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/09/28 19:07:28

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 09:57:14 (permalink)
moose517
yeah they both screwed up, guy should have said his license was in the car, and cop was too trigger happy there.

I do not agree, the cop did not say pull out your wallet from your pocket and hand it over to me.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/09/28 10:02:42

Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 11:25:53 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Deadly Force for a Seatbelt Violation. I would like to say so much on this but then it would be off topic.
I would have done the same as the person in the video because that is where my license is when I drive.

When I drive I keep my wallet w/ License in the driver door.

Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay. This event really does emphasize the need for additional training for nearly all cops.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 11:30:33 (permalink)
Halo_003
bcavnaugh

Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay. This event really does emphasize the need for additional training for nearly all cops.

That's even more dangerous for a routine stop... When they see you reaching down for something, Things can go sour.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 11:44:15 (permalink)
RushXTC
Halo_003
bcavnaugh

That's even more dangerous for a routine stop... When they see you reaching down for something, Things can go sour.

Never been pulled over. I do it for simplicity such as when I exit the car. IF I was to get pulled over I'd be keeping hands on the wheel, when they ask for license I'd just tell them it's in the door. I don't see any point in conforming to what they would want just on the off chance I get pulled over.

(Now: you are completely correct it's probably not the best place to keep it.)

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 17:55:04 (permalink)
Storing the wallet in the door may not be the best place.  But as long as you inform the officer that you're reaching for your wallet, and don't make any sudden movements, there should be no issues.

bcavnaugh

You must not have seen my post on the first page.  He was fired and arrested for the shooting.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 18:59:48 (permalink)
NordicJedi
Storing the wallet in the door may not be the best place.  But as long as you inform the officer that you're reaching for your wallet, and don't make any sudden movements, there should be no issues.

bcavnaugh

You must not have seen my post on the first page.  He was fired and arrested for the shooting.

Yes, I did miss your post.
For State Troopers I thought that their training was above a Sheriff or City/Town Police training.
We have had so many issue over the last few years like this maybe we need to reduce the force for better training.
It is almost like the move Police Academy, it is two sides to this because of the friends that are Troopers and in the Police Force it is making all of them bad and causing us to Fear them and not think of them as our police protection anymore.

It is time for each state to publish guidelines (NOT LAWS) on the procedures of what to do when pulled over by the law and when confronted by the law.

I do not think that we have to go so far as to drop spread and freeze do we? or IS that where we are headed?

That poor guy at the gas station was confronted from what I see.
This could have been in a Mall and the person could have reached in a bag to get his license and they too could have been shot.

Sorry if I went to far but enough is enough and I know as well as the rest of us we Do Need Our Law Enforcement.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/09/28 19:12:44

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 19:12:54 (permalink)
I've been pulled over a few times before, when I was younger and not such a great driver.  In general, I subscribe to the policy that you keep your hands on the steering wheel, or at least where the officer can see them.  Then inform the officer where you're going to reach for any information that may not be readily available.  If you have a firearm, then it's best if you inform the officer, especially if you're legally carrying.  

The two things officers are going to be looking for is whether you're being argumentative and jumpy, and if you make any sudden movements to reach for something.  Yes, it's still up to officers to verify that you're actually holding a weapon before opening fire, but there are ways to drop the caution level down.  Everyone should keep in mind that officers are just as concerned about their own safety, and most recognize that a person being detained is not going to be very happy about it.  The best way to avoid a bad situation is to keep your hands visible as much as possible, and to communicate with the officer.  

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/28 21:16:21 (permalink)
Halo_003
RushXTC
Halo_003
bcavnaugh

Never been pulled over. I do it for simplicity such as when I exit the car. IF I was to get pulled over I'd be keeping hands on the wheel, when they ask for license I'd just tell them it's in the door. I don't see any point in conforming to what they would want just on the off chance I get pulled over.

(Now: you are completely correct it's probably not the best place to keep it.)

As soon as I see the red and blue lights behind me, I always put my hands up so they can see that I don't have anything. It became a practice after being pulled over so many times at gun point.

NordicJedi
I've been pulled over a few times before, when I was younger and not such a great driver.  In general, I subscribe to the policy that you keep your hands on the steering wheel, or at least where the officer can see them.  Then inform the officer where you're going to reach for any information that may not be readily available.  If you have a firearm, then it's best if you inform the officer, especially if you're legally carrying.  

The two things officers are going to be looking for is whether you're being argumentative and jumpy, and if you make any sudden movements to reach for something.  Yes, it's still up to officers to verify that you're actually holding a weapon before opening fire, but there are ways to drop the caution level down.  Everyone should keep in mind that officers are just as concerned about their own safety, and most recognize that a person being detained is not going to be very happy about it.  The best way to avoid a bad situation is to keep your hands visible as much as possible, and to communicate with the officer.  

^ This!

I always tell them my next move so they can anticipate it. It's not too hard to call it out "My wallet is in my back pocket, I'm reaching for my wallet" or something like that.
post edited by RushXTC - 2014/09/28 21:20:04

finiousfingers
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/29 11:26:49 (permalink)
kaninja
Everyone must realize that this guy wasn't pulled over either. He had pulled into the gas station on his own and was getting out of his vehicle to go into the store. He passed the cop in the parking lot as the cops was leaving and the cop saw he wasn't wearing his seatbelt in the parking lot so he backed up and pulled up to him. He didn't get out of his vehicle because a cop had pulled him over, that is why he looks confused when the cop pulls up to him and then asks for his licence.

Unreal that anyone can defend how the cop reacted here.

Totally agree with you here Kaninja, I don't see him lunging for anything. I see shock that he was being asked and turned to do as requested. Sure, maybe a little quick, but not dashing.
Then to shoot him at 8-10 feet multiple times and hits him 1x in the hip? LOL sometimes the safest place to be in a gun fight is the target not the people behind him...

not trying to stir anything up, just tossing my 2 silver into the pot.

+1 My Rig Please and Thank You

CPU: i7 980X OCd to 4.4Ghz | Board: EVGA X58 FTW3 | Power: EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 | RAM: G-Skill Perfect Storm 2000 mhz. @8-8-8-21 | Case: Haf 932 | Cooler: Corsair H110 | GPU: 770 4GB x2 SLI    

Antivirus programs are like condoms. 
If you don't use them right then they won't work no matter how nice they look or feel. 

slugbug
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2139
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/29 13:43:42 (permalink)
Too many bad cops giving the good ones a bad name. In a perfect world the bad apples would be weeded out and kicked to the curb.

kougar
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3034
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/30 04:56:54 (permalink)
On one hand, seeing how fast the guy turned and almost dove into his car it set alarm bells off in my mind. In that cop's shoes I would've had my hand on my gun and ready to draw. But the cop should've told him to freeze, then move slowly... not go totally ballistic and firing randomly, especially when the guy was doing exactly what he was ordered to do the entire time.

That cop was a serious danger to the general public randomly firing his gun like that given how wild most of those shots actually were, not even getting into just how close the range involved was. 

Have water, will cool. 
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/30 07:16:33 (permalink)
The cop handled that entire situation poorly. He had no control over the scene, nor did it seem like he even had his lights on to alert the guy he was being pulled over. The guy was already out of his car by the time the cop just pulled up. While the guy in the car shouldn't have probably reached so quickly to get his license, that still doesn't excuse the cop for shooting the guy.

I also HIGHLY disagree that people should have to tip-toe around cops because they have itchy trigger fingers. Why do cops have to react this way automatically? What happened to non-lethal force? I understand a cop has to protect themselves but short of someone pointing a gun directly at them or clearly reaching for one (visually confirming it) there are other ways to subdue people.  I mean look at all the videos of cops just shooting versus using non-lethal force. The cops in NY that suffocated the guy for selling cigarettes. Literally you had to have 5 officers lay ontop of a man for selling cigarettes? Or the cop that beat the daylights out of that black woman because she was acting crazy?

Cops need more training on how to effectively identify and handle situations. I think there is a case to be made that cops almost and are armed like the military these days.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
Chrome-M-Dragon
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7806
  • Ribbons : 30
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/30 08:19:01 (permalink)
If I get pulled over for speeding or a taillight or something stupid I shouldn't have to call out my moves like i'm some crazy criminal.... I get it though, ti's the world we live in, and the lunatics we are surrounded by but come on...

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

finiousfingers
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/30 08:25:42 (permalink)
Chrome-M-Dragon
If I get pulled over for speeding or a taillight or something stupid I shouldn't have to call out my moves like i'm some crazy criminal.... I get it though, ti's the world we live in, and the lunatics we are surrounded by but come on...

I know I don't feel protected when I see a cop behind me or if he pulls me over. I am nervous, even though I have a clean record. Long hair and a beard gets me the same question for the past 25 years.
Officer: Do you have an guns, knives or illegal narcotics on you or in your vehicle.
Me:No sir, just the long hair and beard.
Officer: Step out of the vehicle.
Me: You started it.

+1 My Rig Please and Thank You

CPU: i7 980X OCd to 4.4Ghz | Board: EVGA X58 FTW3 | Power: EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 | RAM: G-Skill Perfect Storm 2000 mhz. @8-8-8-21 | Case: Haf 932 | Cooler: Corsair H110 | GPU: 770 4GB x2 SLI    

Antivirus programs are like condoms. 
If you don't use them right then they won't work no matter how nice they look or feel. 

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/09/30 09:36:37 (permalink)
This is nothing new. A cop shot a 70 year old man for stepping out of his truck and reaching in the bed of his truck to grab his cain. Cops these days are chickens and shoot way too quick. I think they  should make rookie officers go without a sidearm for the first 3-5 years to teach them how to deal with general public without using a pistol.

JoeBroniee
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/02 08:57:17 (permalink)
Twas a bad call. Cop should have been more patient knowing he asked for a license in the first place, not everyone has been pulled over before and may not know how to comply with law enforcement. I remember my first ticket I was pretty nervous and reached for my wallet without letting the officer know , all I said was yeah gimme a sec. The police officers nowadays are getting to itchy to use a gun nowadays. Go hunting or something.

Ncase M1,
Asus M6impact
intel i5 4690k
HyperX Genesis
EVGA GTX770
Silverstone sx600g
Samsung 840EVO

snakegs
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1846
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/02 09:12:28 (permalink)
MSim
This is nothing new. A cop shot a 70 year old man for stepping out of his truck and reaching in the bed of his truck to grab his cain. Cops these days are chickens and shoot way too quick. I think they  should make rookie officers go without a sidearm for the first 3-5 years to teach them how to deal with general public without using a pistol.

Which is why all new cops need to start in the jails like i did. Learn to use less force because you are limited and you learn to use your mouth. I will talk you into cuffs all day long and only use the proper force when needed.

My sergeant told me use your brain and mouth before your belt. That belt is your last resort backup. Thats what I do anyway.
post edited by snakegs - 2014/10/02 09:13:50

AMD Ryzen 5800x
ASUS Strix B550 F Gaming
32gb Gskill  3200
Nvidia GTX1080 FE
NZXT 280mm AIO
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/02 09:13:28 (permalink)
MSim

Ah, Yes! I believe I posted a thread about that here too when it happened.

I felt bad for the cop too, But what he did was wrong.

joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/02 13:23:27 (permalink)
After watching the video a couple times, I will agree with most, the LEO clearly jumped the gun on this one. I really don't feel like the guy was being THAT hasty reaching for his wallet. I know personally when at times I've been pulled over, my heart would be racing, and my movements were more "fast paced" due to sheer adrenaline/nervousness as it were. But again.....it could have been totally avoided yes, simply by the guy letting the officer know he was reaching for his wallet. BUT! that was not the case, the LEO really shouldn't have been acting like god in the first place. Clearly he had no reason to open fire.....he should have identified the item in hand then acted.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Ryujin Jakka
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/05 02:58:43 (permalink)
May the gun was not on safety lock and it had been mistakenly fired
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/05 07:58:24 (permalink)
Ryujin Jakka
May the gun was not on safety lock and it had been mistakenly fired

Considering the fact that he was shot multiple times, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that.

seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Cop asks for license, Shoots man as he grabs it. 2014/10/06 20:55:59 (permalink)
The few times I have been asked to pull over by the police I alway announce what Im doing and while Im doing it.
Why?
Because cops are crazy and on edge.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile