Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2014/09/23 04:02:29 (permalink)
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2684636/how-will-new-device-to-help-cops-detect-texting-drivers-know-it-wasnt-the-passenger.html

According to Malcolm McIntyre of ComicSonics, the technology of the new radar is similar to what cable repairmen use to find where a cable is damaged, from a rodent, for instance. They basically look for frequencies leaking in a transmission, McIntyre said. A text message emits different frequencies to phone call and data transfer, that can be distinguished by the device the tech company is working at. Even though texting while driving is not illegal in all of U.S., it would prove "particularly" useful according to law enforcement in states such as Virginia, where it’s banned. 

Like most of you guys should know already, even if one is not talking on their cell phone, the device is constantly sending and receiving information. It is communicating to its cell phone tower over a pathway called a control channel. The reason for this chatter is so that the cell phone system knows which cell your phone is in, and so that your phone can change cells as you move around. Every now and then, your device and the tower will exchange a packet of data that lets both of them know everything is in check. Now, the control channel also provides the pathway for SMS, which means texting, of course. When a friend sends you a SMS, the message flows through the SMSC (SMS Center), then to the tower, and the tower sends the message to your phone as a little packet of data on the control channel. This data format for the message includes information such as the length of the message, a time stamp, the destination phone number, the format, etc. So far, it would seem all the mistakes police officers could make are not really possible. Mistakes such as charging the wrong person, proving the message was sent from a device inside the car (instead of receiving) and also proving that it was sent from a phone and not from the vehicle’s own app.

Just so you know, texting while driving has been outlawed for all drivers in the following states: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Dakota, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada. New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

54 Replies Related Threads

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 04:45:11 (permalink)
    Texting or just using ur phone while driving erks me off. Ive known too many who's  been hurt and killed from textimg...

Ive seen so many cops, adults, just not young adults, down here text while driving, 

Get a Bluetooth already peoples.
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/09/23 04:46:52
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 05:24:10 (permalink)
    Don't drink and drive.

Don't text and drive. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 05:49:12 (permalink)
    This is an interesting concept, but I ask this.  Being that an iPhone to iPhone message usually goes out via iMessage which is data, can this "detector" catch that?  It would come up as a specific data transmission which as you state, happens all the time.

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 06:21:10 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Texting or just using ur phone while driving erks me off. Ive known too many who's  been hurt and killed from textimg...

Ive seen so many cops, adults, just not young adults, down here text while driving, 

That is good if your talking on the phone to allow for hands free. My daily drive which is my Mazda 3 has built in bluetooth but it does not have any kind of capability of being able to text some one for me. I know the new chevy cars have siri built into them that allow this capability. But ya I am with you it pisses me the hell off when I see a person regardless of age texting while they are driving. My brother and my sister do this all the time and I constantly threaten to punch them in the face if they do it while I am in the car. I almost got hit by this chick two months ago texting and driving or whatever she was doing on her phone(maybe on facebook like chicks normally are always on). She was lucky that she was sexy looking or I would of showed her the one finger salute LOL.

LJennings
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 535
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 06:22:58 (permalink)
    pcmaster00
    This is an interesting concept, but I ask this.  Being that an iPhone to iPhone message usually goes out via iMessage which is data, can this "detector" catch that?  It would come up as a specific data transmission which as you state, happens all the time.

I wondered this myself.

rjohnson11
    Don't drink and drive.

Of course.. You might spill it!
    Unfortunately if you have 1 drink, you are over the limit and can be charged. No signs of impairment but can be over the limit.

Now the officers have to learn how to use iOS, Android and WP to determine if it was to or from the driver. I know too many officers that are not tech savvy.

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 08:19:04 (permalink)
    LJennings

Now the officers have to learn how to use iOS, Android and WP to determine if it was to or from the driver. I know too many officers that are not tech savvy.

Really??!?!?!?!

I also know many that are.

Just like drinking and driving, just do not drink anything and get behind the wheel. It used to be an excuse for an accident. The perception can be that things are extreme, but if you lost a loved one to an impaired driver, you would not be joking about it.

In actuality, even talking on a Bluetooth device is distracting. Studies have shown that this can be as bad as texting. Best thing is to concentrate on driving. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? I also know that changing the radio station and looking around the interior of the car or outside at the trees is also distracted driving. We cannot regulate stupidity, but we can make those who are stupid accountable.

What did we do 25 years ago when we drove? We concentrated on the road because we had no choice. Sometimes it is good to unplug. Is that call really so important that you would risk your life or die for it? Is that text message important enough that it may cost your life and a few others? In each case the answer is no. Get where you are going and then make the call. Everyone is such a hurry to die. Maybe we should be in a hurry to live.

I know responsibility sucks, but it can help you more than that drink can. Try it, you might like it.
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2014/09/23 08:21:34

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 09:06:31 (permalink)
    Our company doesn't even allow hands free devices. If we have to talk on the phone, we are required to pull off the road. If we are caught too many times regardless of our productivity or circumstances, we are terminated.
    I think it is a good idea but like every idea, there will be a work-around.
    primarylupine
    • Total Posts : 43
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 09:09:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, this tech is bull. Text messages are sent via the control channel, the same thing that your phone uses to negotiate links and handoffs between itself and a cell tower. This thing will be about as effective as those "bomb detector" dowsing rods some guy sold to the Iraqi police. It couldn't detect a fart at a bean and cabbage festival.
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 09:17:56 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    LJennings

Really??!?!?!?!

I also know many that are.

Just like drinking and driving, just do not drink anything and get behind the wheel. It used to be an excuse for an accident. The perception can be that things are extreme, but if you lost a loved one to an impaired driver, you would not be joking about it.

In actuality, even talking on a Bluetooth device is distracting. Studies have shown that this can be as bad as texting. Best thing is to concentrate on driving. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? I also know that changing the radio station and looking around the interior of the car or outside at the trees is also distracted driving. We cannot regulate stupidity, but we can make those who are stupid accountable.

What did we do 25 years ago when we drove? We concentrated on the road because we had no choice. Sometimes it is good to unplug. Is that call really so important that you would risk your life or die for it? Is that text message important enough that it may cost your life and a few others? In each case the answer is no. Get where you are going and then make the call. Everyone is such a hurry to die. Maybe we should be in a hurry to live.

I know responsibility sucks, but it can help you more than that drink can. Try it, you might like it.

+1000  I like y0ur p0st and t0tally agree. Every time I drive there is s0me cl0wn 0n their ph0ne tailgating me, clueless t0 their surr0undings. Hang up and drive genius's....
    Drerex
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3892
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 10:29:41 (permalink)
    HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    knightsilver

That is good if your talking on the phone to allow for hands free. My daily drive which is my Mazda 3 has built in bluetooth but it does not have any kind of capability of being able to text some one for me. I know the new chevy cars have siri built into them that allow this capability. But ya I am with you it pisses me the hell off when I see a person regardless of age texting while they are driving. My brother and my sister do this all the time and I constantly threaten to punch them in the face if they do it while I am in the car. I almost got hit by this chick two months ago texting and driving or whatever she was doing on her phone(maybe on facebook like chicks normally are always on). She was lucky that she was sexy looking or I would of showed her the one finger salute LOL.

A texting driver hit the rear of my car about a month ago.  Both of my kids and my wife were all in the car.  We were at a complete stop and this guy hit us going at least 45 mph.  I don't even own a smartphone because I chose not to be a part of that culture.  If I need to post or text something/someone, I do it from my computer.  If I need to answer a call, I use my in car bluetooth for hands free use and tell the person that is calling that I will call them back.
    post edited by Drerex - 2014/09/23 10:32:53

wrinvert
    R.I.P Friend
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 14:14:16 (permalink)
    There is no way this will work properly. Even if the wave length was true, it will flag to many false positives and will be impossible to pinpoint if it was a driver or passenger. Also your states you have listed are not all completely correct. PA still has no law about texting and driving, just distracted driving.
    post edited by wrinvert - 2014/09/23 14:16:38

McMada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 815
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 17:55:52 (permalink)
    Some powerful technology will have to be created to catch people using their cellphones and have it hold up in court to deal actual punishment and get people afraid of using their cellphone. But by then, smart people would have found a solution to this problem.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 19:44:22 (permalink)
    So it just picks up that the smartphone is sending and receiving data? Mine does that all the time regardless of my interaction with it. A lot of things are push notification data. Who is to say the person in the back seat in't using it? Lots of flaws in this.
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 19:51:38 (permalink)
    If I see someone on their phone texting while driving, I blind them with my flashlight. I don't text while driving, period. I would have run over a dog today if I had picked up my phone to respond to a text. Literally I got a text, was tempted to lean over and pick it up, and right when I decided not to, a dog ran out right in front of my car. If I had decided to pick up that phone at that moment, a kid would have watched his dog get run over.
    post edited by Baltothewolf - 2014/09/23 19:53:48

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 19:55:20 (permalink)
    Baltothewolf
    If I see someone on their phone texting while driving, I blind them with my flashlight. I don't text while driving, period. I would have run over a dog today if I had picked up my phone to respond to a text. Literally I got a text, was tempted to lean over and pick it up, and right when I decided not to, a dog ran out right in front of my car. If I had decided to pick up that phone at that moment, a kid would have watched his dog get run over.

That is full on retarded. SO if they've not caused an accident, you're going to ensure they do?
    pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 20:18:54 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Baltothewolf

That is full on retarded. SO if they've not caused an accident, you're going to ensure they do?

+100,000,000,000

Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 20:28:24 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Baltothewolf

I don't shine it directly into their eyes, but into their mirrors. 99.9% Of the time it stops them from texting because for a second (until they look up) they think it's a cops side lights getting flashed at them.

[Edit]: My flashlight is 4100 lumens so that's why people get confused. Not to mention your use of 'retard' shows your level of idiocy. The proper wording would have been 'foolish' or 'idiotic'. 'retard' Is a mental condition, fool and idiot are a state of mind.
    post edited by Baltothewolf - 2014/09/23 20:33:37

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 20:33:04 (permalink)
    wrinvert
    PA still has no law about texting and driving, just distracted driving.

http://www.justdrivepa.or...er/Distracted-Driving/

Yes, but the law specifically includes texting and driving.

Too many accidents and deaths being caused. Should be a $750 fine and 30 day driving ban for first offence. $2,500 and 3 month for second. The cops up here are doing a good job just using the telescope.
    post edited by kaninja - 2014/09/23 20:37:30

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 20:39:10 (permalink)
    Baltothewolf
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Baltothewolf

I don't shine it directly into their eyes, but into their mirrors. 99.9% Of the time it stops them from texting because for a second (until they look up) they think it's a cops side lights getting flashed at them.

[Edit]: My flashlight is 4100 lumens so that's why people get confused. Not to mention your use of 'retard' shows your level of idiocy. The proper wording would have been 'foolish' or 'idiotic'. 'retard' Is a mental condition, fool and idiot are a state of mind.

Yes yes, I'm an idiot. I'm glad we got that clarified. 

Since we've established that I'm qualified through personal experience to know the difference because I'm an idiot, can you take my word on it being a full retard thing to do? 

Car mirrors have ~90% reflectivity. So you're still directing around 3700 lumens into their face. Yes, that is a full on retarded thing to do. 

I will clarify something though that is quite obvious that you didn't comprehend. I said the act was full retarded, not you. However, you clearly directed your angst at me, not the act, by commenting on my "level of idiocy". That is the difference between respecting the forum guidelines and ignoring them. Guess who is ignoring them? 
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/09/23 21:34:58
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 21:31:48 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Baltothewolf
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Baltothewolf

Yes yes, I'm an idiot. I'm glad we got that clarified. 

Since we've established that I'm qualified through personal experience to know the difference because I'm an idiot, can you take my word on it being a full retard thing to do? 

Car mirrors have ~90% reflectivity. So you're still directing around 3700 lumens into their face. Yes, that is a full on retarded thing to do. 

I will clarify something though that is quite obvious that you didn't comprehend. I said the act was full retarded, not you. However, you clearly directed your angst at me, not the act, by commenting on my "level of idiocy". That is the difference between respecting the forum guidelines and ignoring them. Guess who is ignoring them? 

I have never cared about this forums rules :P. And don't take it as a personal attack, I do agree it's an idiotic thing to do, it just pisses me off to no end when people do it.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 21:33:42 (permalink)
    Might make a note that you're attempting to engage in an etymological fallacy with the word "retarded".
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 22:29:10 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Might make a note that you're attempting to engage in an etymological fallacy with the word "retarded".

Shhh...... Shhhhhhh

Lemme post something OT for once. I don't see how this will ever work. You could easily have kids in the car, push to respond, I know the newer civics have this. It could easily be mistaken and a lot of people would file complaints for harassment.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.

wrinvert
    R.I.P Friend
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/23 22:30:29 (permalink)
    kaninja
    wrinvert
    PA still has no law about texting and driving, just distracted driving.

http://www.justdrivepa.or...er/Distracted-Driving/

Yes, but the law specifically includes texting and driving.

Too many accidents and deaths being caused. Should be a $750 fine and 30 day driving ban for first offence. $2,500 and 3 month for second. The cops up here are doing a good job just using the telescope.

I stand corrected. I could have swore that law was brought up but never passed.

ARCTIC_EAGLE
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5257
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 09:41:24 (permalink)
    texting/drinking and driving should =  10 year driving ban and $10,000 fine, if you kill someone there should be a life time ban plus 20 years in prison. That or make none of it legal but if you hurt someone while texting/DUI you forfeit all assets and must work to pay for pain/suffering/medical/repair/etc bills then get 20 year in prison and life time driving ban. If you kill someone you must pay a wrongful death settlement once complete you get life in prison. For those who might say people would pay it off slowly so as to not go to prison, nope 100% of your income and assets would go to paying you would live in prison be taken to your job you would also have a GPS locator imbedded in you.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 10:46:46 (permalink)
    I wonder how receiving texts differs from sending texts. It would be quite inconvenient if simply receiving a text implicated you in a crime. Additionally, I wonder about legality and false positives from a seemingly imperfect detection method.
    anarchy998
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3051
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 18:45:50 (permalink)
    There should be something, like a unique notification on your phone, that the person on the other end can send you in case of an emergency. Other than that, don't text and drive, its stupid. I've had too many close calls because of dumb people that can't wait till they get where they are going to text.

i9 12900k
    Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb
    WD Black SN850 1tb NVME
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
    EVGA 1200 P3 psu
    EVGA Nu Audio Pro
    Corsair H150i 360 Elite Capellix

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 19:24:43 (permalink)
    What concerns me is that if this device detects the frequency transmission that occurs when someone sends a text, can it distinguish between outbound and inbound messages?  This could potentially penalize people for simply receiving a text message, not just sending them while driving.  How many of you have had someone text you while you were driving, but chose not to respond.  Should you get in trouble because someone else didn't know you were driving and sent you a text?

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    primarylupine
    • Total Posts : 43
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 19:50:07 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    What concerns me is that if this device detects the frequency transmission that occurs when someone sends a text, can it distinguish between outbound and inbound messages?  This could potentially penalize people for simply receiving a text message, not just sending them while driving.  How many of you have had someone text you while you were driving, but chose not to respond.  Should you get in trouble because someone else didn't know you were driving and sent you a text?

It can't. It's 1000% woo-woo "science". At best, it could detect that there was a phone in the car. SMS/text messages are sent over the control channel or as normal data over your 3G/4G connection through something like iMessage or Hangouts. I guess these guys aren't making enough off of selling RADAR/LiDAR calibration tools to cops, and are looking for more money from them.
    pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: A Radar Gun that Catches Drivers Texting while Driving 2014/09/24 21:01:07 (permalink)
    Tweaked

Let me throw this one out there tweaked...  what if your passanger is texting? Would we get pulled over by a cop then? Do you then have to prove that the driver was not the one texting? That possibility alone, of pulling over a driver without acurate information would cause such a legitimate backlash that I would bet this goes nowhere.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile