EVGA

Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out!

Author
Astroholic
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/23 17:31:46 (permalink)
Hello! 

This is my first post here, so please go easy on me.    I tried searching before posting. 

I'm looking for some guidance to see if you guys can help me figure out what is causing multiple card failures. 

Here is my sad story...

My original card, an EVGA GTX 470 (012-P3-1470-AR), lasted for three and a half years and failed in May 2014.  It abruptly started showing artifacts (lines all over screen) and indicated failure in windows hardware manager.

The replacement card was an identical model, worked perfectly for about two and a half months, and then failed in the same way.

Before installing the current card (second replacement...same model), I checked the voltage of all pins in both of the 6-pin molex connectors powering the card using a calibrated multimeter.  All six wire pairs had an identical voltage of 12.4V.

My computer had startup issues immediately after installing the current card.  I would get one good boot out of 5 or 6 attempts.  On failed attempts, the screen was blank after windows startup screen, but you could tell everything else was working normally (windows startup sound, etc.). 

On good starts, within a minute the screen would go blank for 1-2 seconds, and an error message box would appear stating "NVIDIA Windows kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" or "NvBackend.exe - corrupt file".  After the error messages would appear, the screen would act normal until shutdown.

I deleted and reloaded all video drivers with current and older versions but it had no effect.

This current card failed over the weekend (same as the first two cards with artifacts/lines after boot), about three weeks after I received it.

I was told by EVGA that all of these replacement cards are refurbished.  Is it possible that I received two bad RMA cards in a row, or is it more likely that there is something in my hardware that is causing the cards to fail?  At this point, I'm not sure what I should check, or how I would go about it. 

At a minimum, I am planning on installing the next replacement into a friend's computer to burn it in before installing it in mine.  

Is there something else I can do to check the PSU?  Could my motherboard be killing them?  If so, how would I check the motherboard? 

If any of you can give me some suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you for any ideas,

Mike

Here are the specs for my other desktop components, if it helps any: 
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Processor - Intel Core i7-950
PSU - Corsair HX850
Memory - Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 2X2GB DDR3 1600 (996826)

8 Replies Related Threads

_JamesR
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 253
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/23 20:35:23 (permalink)
    It would be pretty rare for two cards to fail in the same system, let alone fail with the same symptoms. At this point, I would suggest testing with a spare power supply. If you suspect an issue with the operating system, you could always disconnect your current hard drives, connect a spare, install Windows to that and test away using 3dmark or Unigine Valley. This is, of course, just a start, but at least it gives you a jumping off point. Alternately, you could install the card in another computer entirely to make sure it works properly, assuming there's no issues with the other computer.

EVGA Z97 Classified w/ i7 4790 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite | 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 | EVGA 1000w G2 | Samsung EVO 840 120GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 3TB | 3x WD 2TB (Raid-5) | Corsair H100i GTX | 3x Asus VS278P-Q 27" 1080p 1ms GTG monitor (surround) | 1 Monoprice 28" 4K 5ms GTG (accessory)
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/23 21:27:33 (permalink)
    I remember those problems with my GTX 480 and GTX 580's. For me, it was remedied by upping the voltage through EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner. Give it one to two bumps in voltage and it's no longer a problem. For me it would only happen on certain games... mainly ones that would put heavy load on the card.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/24 05:32:50 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

Careful reading of your posted issues and computer specs points to the probable cause of your problems.
    -->Limited system RAM and use of a low VRAM videocard
    Then using the GeForce Experience with those issues!

Use of the GeForce Experience
    *(should NOT be installed)

Use of RAM sticks known to have issues with x58 platforms -AND- use of only--> 4gigs
    *(likely to be running out of memory AND incorrect RAM BIOS settings)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-->Completely uninstall the Geforce experience and read up on how to manually install your driver (only Graphics driver and PhysX)
    -->Check your BIOS settings for your RAM sticks. XMP should NOT be used and the timings and voltage should be set manually.

You need to check your system RAM load on a clean boot (how much your system is using on the desktop)
    Should you have to much loading at boot, this will impact how your video card will use resources and is most likely the cause of your problems.

Use of only 4gigs of system RAM and using a videocard with just 1280mb of Vram is underpowered for running ALOT of things.
    It will require getting a very clean boot and paying alot of attention to VRAM loading (and the settings that cause such VRAM use)

Using the Geforce experience is going to cause serious problems with incorrect settings and overloaded VRAM.
    The program is NOT setup to run correctly on a system like yours and will cause issues...
    This appears to be the primary cause of your problems

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102311
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/24 05:42:13 (permalink)
    maniacvvv
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

Careful reading of your posted issues and computer specs points to the probable cause of your problems.
    -->Limited system RAM and use of a low VRAM videocard
    Then using the GeForce Experience with those issues!

Use of the GeForce Experience
    *(should NOT be installed)

Use of RAM sticks known to have issues with x58 platforms -AND- use of only--> 4gigs
    *(likely to be running out of memory AND incorrect RAM BIOS settings)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-->Completely uninstall the Geforce experience and read up on how to manually install your driver (only Graphics driver and PhysX)
    -->Check your BIOS settings for your RAM sticks. XMP should NOT be used and the timings and voltage should be set manually.

You need to check your system RAM load on a clean boot (how much your system is using on the desktop)
    Should you have to much loading at boot, this will impact how your video card will use resources and is most likely the cause of your problems.

Use of only 4gigs of system RAM and using a videocard with just 1280mb of Vram is underpowered for running ALOT of things.
    It will require getting a very clean boot and paying alot of attention to VRAM loading (and the settings that cause such VRAM use)

Using the Geforce experience is going to cause serious problems with incorrect settings and overloaded VRAM.
    The program is NOT setup to run correctly on a system like yours and will cause issues...
    This appears to be the primary cause of your problems

+1. This is good troubleshooting to start with in my opinion

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

elensar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/25 06:47:48 (permalink)
    Just throwing this out, but it might be worthwhile check any software fan control settings you have running, I have seen in the past settings that were inadequate during peoples attempts to keep the noise down etc, or just bad settings by accident.

GIGABYTE GA-990X-GAMING SLI
    16GB Kingston Hyper X Savage 1866
    AMD FX 8370 @ 4.8GHz (I'm a peasant :D)
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO GAMING
    22" Wide Screen Samsung S22C300
    Astroholic
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/26 09:35:14 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you for your replies! 

maniacvvv,

What memory, and how much, would you suggest that I use with my hardware? 

Would the memory I have be okay if I had another 2 GB's of it?   I tried to choose my hardware carefully and was unaware of any conflicts.

It's funny that you mention GeForce Experience.  I'm running in safe mode and can't see....Is that the application that automatically loads with EVGA's driver download and sits in the background and looks for and installs new drivers?   When I think back, it seems that I installed this software right before my first card failure.  However, I was running everything at default and had no changes for fan speed, voltage, etc.

If what I just described is in fact GeForce Experience, why in the world would EVGA put out software with default settings that is bad for (and in my case, destroys) their own graphics cards? 

Can you point me to some instructions or links on how to manually install only the non-lethal drivers?

Thanks again,

Mike

post edited by Astroholic - 2014/08/26 09:45:25
    Trelor
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 496
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/08/26 09:57:06 (permalink)
    Astroholic
    Thanks to all of you for your replies! 

maniacvvv,

What memory, and how much, would you suggest that I use with my hardware? 

Would the memory I have be okay if I had another 2 GB's of it?   I tried to choose my hardware carefully and was unaware of any conflicts.

It's funny that you mention GeForce Experience.  I'm running in safe mode and can't see....Is that the application that automatically loads with EVGA's driver download and sits in the background and looks for and installs new drivers?   When I think back, it seems that I installed this software right before my first card failure.  However, I was running everything at default and had no changes for fan speed, voltage, etc.

If what I just described is in fact GeForce Experience, why in the world would EVGA put out software with default settings that is bad for (and in my case, destroys) their own graphics cards? 

Can you point me to some instructions or links on how to manually install only the non-lethal drivers?

Thanks again,

Mike

GeForce Experience is a Nvidia Product not EVGA.  You most likely are not seeing it running in safe mode becase it's safe mode, which disabled applications from automatically starting on boot.  You would have to Look in the control panel -> add and remove programs.  On a side note you're not running EVGA precision are you, and if you are can you make sure that it is not EVGA precision 15 which was released then recalled.  GeForce Experience also has recommended system requirements (  http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/system-requirements  ) 2GBs of ram is one of them.  You need to see how much memory in being allocated to graphics though, Start -> Control Panel -> Nvidia Control Panel -> Help Menu -> System Information  Confirm that you are running x64 version of windows, without it adding more memory will not work.  Also look at how much is being allocated to the graphics card by clicking on your video card and looking at the Shared System Memory total .  That will give you an over view of how much ram you really have 4GBs - Shared System Memory = How much is left for the PC when the video card has the full share. Back to the memory 2GBs more would help but I would really shoot for equal sticks in a 3 pair setup, try to hit 12GBs.  The motherboard that you have (  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#ov  ) is designed for triple channel memory, aka 3 matching sticks in the correct order.  In the case of your motherboard it would be 3 in the white slots or 3 in the blue slots ( Whichever is DIM0, I can't tell from the pictures).  If you are using 3 or 6 sticks, make sure they are identical to get the optimal performance.  Again 3 or 6 is how one usually runs with triple channel boards.

Edit added a picture.
    post edited by Trelor - 2014/08/26 09:59:42

Attached Image(s)

Heatware: Trelor - I primarily use eBay which is attached to my heatware.
    HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1321
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Getting my third RMA'd GTX 470. Please help me figure this out! 2014/09/23 03:54:32 (permalink)
    I was running gtx480's in sli with a corsair hx1000.  When the corsair started going bad my system refused to boot.  I replaced it with an enermax platimax 1350w which booted my system right up until one of my 480's died, which I need to rma.  I would boot the system, if possible and then check the rails with them under load to see if there is voltage sag.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile