dava4444
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/21 10:23:52 (permalink)
Hi guys.. first post, please be kind.
(TLDR:warning)

Sooo
around a year ago I bought a faulty 660non off ebay, the guy said it was for spares or repair and none of the ports worked.. I decided to give it a go as it was only £40, at first he was correct, I couldn't get the ports working, but at that time I had a second 660non, (in a PC I sold) so I decided to try SLI, which worked a treat! I then decided to plug into the faulty ports to try to give it a 'gee up'.. and to my surprise a couple of the ports started working while in SLI. like balancing a plate, I tried it solo.. this was a little odd.. one of the ports that was previously not working, started working but I was in windows 8 and it gave me some strange error that was GPT (not correct, as thats for drives but something similar) or something I forget, it was a power saving feature of the card combined with windows 8, I tried to enable what-ever-on-earth-it-was and the port stopped working.The card has all the serial and stickers ripped off before i received it iirc.

I recently had a problem with my main rig in a water incident, and all my Ti's x3 and my mobo and everything inside the case got soaked. that was a month ago..so now I'm on a nice workstation I picked up on ebay. just to be clear, the 660 has 1 working port and I'm using it now, but I don't get the post/bios/boot screen only until login.

but now for perhaps the interesting part.. I found out why it was doing this all along.. it thinks it has a monitor plugged in to the first DVI, which it has not.. its a ghost monitor, I checked out the EDID and its just lots of rows of only 0's. I wondered if I could flash it..but then I just thought it was interesting enough to come and share with you guys.

I suspect I could have both DVI's working if I could convince the card that the monitor was unplugged, the hdmi doesn't work and I don't have a displayport screen to test.

I dunno if I want help with this, I just found it interesting and wondered what would happen if I flashed the card, I don't have any other gaming cards right now, so it would be kinda risky, as I just got this sorted a few days ago after being on the laptop for almost a month. but seeing that EDID made my eyes sparkle like a hanna barbera cartoon haha

peace

Dava

post edited by dava4444 - 2014/09/21 10:26:35

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile