A workstation (work in progress)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/08/25 17:23:45 (permalink)
Post edited. Some kind of flood post...

why make it simple when it can be complicated ????

rig 1 : Asus P9X79-E WS / i7 4930k / 3-way SLI EVGA 780ti / Quadro K2000 / watercooled / 3D Vision Surround / 3 x Samsung 2233RZ + HP ZR22W
rig 2 : Asus P9X79 WS / i7 4930k / 2-way SLI 770 / aircooled / 3D Vision / Samsung 2233RZ + Samsung 2232BW + HP ZR22W
rig 3, 4 5, etc. : uninteresting !
schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/08/26 18:01:07 (permalink)
Some news...

I tried different things for CPU temp.

A circular buffer smooths the display. But I won't go further with this as I tested something very different and much more simpler with success !

I uninstalled FAN Xpert+, and played with QFan parameters in the BIOS. I now use this : 20% (minimum) for 20°C (minimum), and 100% (maximum) for 75°C (maximum). The curve seems to be perfectly linear ! The formula that computes temperature from PWM fan control signal duty cysle becomes : T = 0.6875 * DutyCyclePercent + 6.25

I tested several monitoring softwares for comparison with this formula :

SpeedFan and OpenHardwareMonitor gave bad results, as bad as FAN XPert+ : temps are far too low to be correct. 35 to 40°C with minimal cooling and all 6 cores at 100% is simply impossible !

OCCT and CPUID HWMonitor gave same plausible readings for cores temps (50 to 54°C at full load, minimum cooling). OCCT often loses 1 or 2 cores temps (sometimes gives continuous 25°C or 85° !). With this new BIOS parameters and new routines, I got values very near to the temp of the hottest core displayed by these tools (OCCT and HWMonitor) : 1 or 2 °C difference. Under BIOS, I get exactly the same temp (AFAIK, only 1 core is in use). (will have to make a small video, but no much time to do this)

So, I concluded that the QFan control algorithm retains the hottest core temp, and then calculates the duty cycle according to a linear curve defined with these 4 BIOS parameters : % min, T min, % max, T max. Linear, without discrete steps or thershold values...

This is exactly what I was dreaming of !!! And this means that the CPU temp monitoring is now independant from the OS.

I also simplified the code : only one PWM sample every second (or whatever needed), without calculation of a mean value, and no more circular buffer (no more "inertia" that costed a lot of CPU clock cycles). My display now fluctuates the same way that OCCT and HWMonitor do : 1-3°C (idle or at load). This is far better than the fluctations I had using a FAN Xpert+ custom fan curve.

Therefore, I could maybe get results with the GPUs. But first, a "fan emulator" has to be built to fake the 780ti closed loop control. I have some PICAXE around, AFAIR, they are better than Arduinos as signal generators. But they have to be programmed in BASIC, and I really hate BASIC : lost after 20 lines or so of this ugly non structured langage.

rig 1 : Asus P9X79-E WS / i7 4930k / 3-way SLI EVGA 780ti / Quadro K2000 / watercooled / 3D Vision Surround / 3 x Samsung 2233RZ + HP ZR22W
rig 2 : Asus P9X79 WS / i7 4930k / 2-way SLI 770 / aircooled / 3D Vision / Samsung 2233RZ + Samsung 2232BW + HP ZR22W
LCRava
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1059
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/08/28 17:08:27 (permalink)
This is shaping up to be an epic build.

MY AFFILIATE CODE: X6EXZ64PSH  

"I don't always GAME in 4K, but when I do, I prefer 4 TITANS"

schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/08/30 18:46:14 (permalink)
It will take ages to be achieved !

Everytime a problem is solved, a new one is coming...

Previously, I wrote that I got rather good CPU and GPU readings through the PWM fan control signal. I was wrong. In reality, readings where good because they were inacurate !

I am a beginer with Arduino's. I did'nt know exactly how pulse durations are measured. In fact, time is measured by counting (incrementaing counters), and then calculating time knowing the number of machine cycles used by the routines. After some readings, I could greatly optimize frequency and duty cycle measurements. First, I got better readings, and then I could identify the CPU probe comparing the readings with Asus Probe II and HWMonitor.

The probe identified "CPU" with BIOS and Asus Probe II is called "TMPIN3" in HWMonitor. This probe is the temp probe used by the BIOS for fan control. TMPIN3 gives readings 9-10°C lower than "package" and core probes. The use of this probe is the reason why CPU temp can be lower than ambient ! I tested with OCCT, running 1, 2, 3...12 threads (1-6 cores). Now I can really get CPU temp at hardware level by the fan header : just have to add 10°C.

I also determined the accuracy of the readings (CPU and GPUs). It is'nt good, and cannot be using the Arduino Mega, due to the 16MHz clock and the PWM signals frequencies :

I measured (using the Arduino, to be verified using the f-meter) :
CPU PWM frequency = 20.5 kHz
780ti PWM frequency = 29.5 kHz

PWM signal analysis is done with counters (signals hi and lo state)

CPU : 1 period = 36 steps
Delta T = 55°C, delta duty cycle = 80%
80% and 36 steps per period -> 2°C resolution

780ti : 1 period = 25 steps
Delta T = 55°C, delta duty cycle = 80%
80% and 25 steps per period -> 3°C resolution

It is *VERY* bad ! Accuracy cannot be greater than resolution (at least 0.5°C needed for display). The only way to go is to replace the Arduino Mega (16MHz) with a Arduino Due (84MHz). 84MHz would give 0.5°C resolution.

I choosed the Mega 2560 because it uses 5V logic (easier). I was wrong...

Replacing the Mega with the Due means that the code I wrote and optimized for PWM reading is useless : the Due can fire interrupts on all digital inputs : far better, and very different methods for duty cycle measurements.

The Mega will probably also need very different routines for fan control...

Now have to order one and redo from start.
post edited by schmorblatz - 2014/08/30 18:50:15

schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/09/21 09:19:23 (permalink)
Some news :

This fan controller is (nearly) a total fail !

I coudn't get reliable temp measurements through CPU PWM fan speed control output. I could improve accuracy (0.5µs), get and accurate display, but temp is very different from CPU package. The information is provided by the mobo fan controller (Nuvoton NCT6776), not directly from the CPU. This IC gets temp from the CPU through a complicated interface (PECI  = Platform Environment Control Interface), and the temp that can be displayed does not reflect the true CPU package temp. The values I can read (and that are displayed with CPUID, Fan XPert+ and other monitoring softwares) depend on the way I boot the machine ! If the machine is rebooted, temp loses 10°C, and generaly gets lower than ambient ! This temp is called CPU temp with Asus software, CPU Core with Open Hardware Monitor, TMPIN3 with HWMonitor. The fan is not directly driven by the Package Temp.

Some readings :

http://www.intel.com/cont...11-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-lga-2011-guide.html

Not being able to get "hardware" CPU temp, trying to get GPU temps this way is useless...

The two only ways to use this Arduino fan controller are :

- 100% manual control with the touch secreen
- auto control using the AC current sensor on the 230V mains

It's not too bad, but not sufficient in my opinion.

More : this rig uses a surround display, and LCD touch cannot be seen or used from my seat.

I am now working on a second version.

I just ordered a Arduino Due (84MHz insteed of 16MHz). The main advantage is that it will allow interrupt driven tach measurements on every digital input. Far better than polling. The microcontroller will be able to communicate while measuring.

I also ordered a Bluetooth module. The touchscreen I have been using is uggly, extremely slow, and interface developppment is time consuming. It will be replaced with a Pocket PC, connected through bluetooth. Developping a GUI is far easier with WinCE (Visual Studio 2008 is great, and I already developped some custom libraries a few years ago, and they could be reused).

Temps monitoring will be done at OS level. I did'nt find other solutions. Temps to be monitored :

- CPU temp : Intel offers an API. See https://software.intel.com/blogs/2014/01/07/using-the-intel-power-gadget-30-api-on-windows

- GPU temps : the NVapi ; I just started playing with it. I could init the API, I still have to learn about data structures in order to read temps. There is also a great example : Open (source !) Hardware Monitor, written in C# : https://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/source/browse/#svn/trunk

- HDD temps. I need it, as I want minimal cooling. 7 to 8 HDD are used in this rig, and they can get really hot. Each HDD case has it's own fan, and the Arduino will have to decide if the HDD fans have to run or not. Most of the HDDs are set as RAID. Many monitoring utilities cannot read RAID HDD temps. Fortunately, smartmontools can, and it is open source ! Just tested OK. http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/doxygen/index.html

The idea : the Arduino will drive the fans using the mains current (proportionnal to the power to dissipate). It will also receive temperatures from a Windows utility (GPUs, CPU, and HDDs). This utility will allow a manual control (already written and functionnal). It will also be used to define and upload fan profiles. The HDD temps will control the HDD fans. All the data will also be sent by the Arduino, through Bluetooth, to a pocket PC for remote temps and fan speeds display. A used Pocket PC is less expensive and much more efficient than a microcontroller LCD touch display. It also benefits from enhancements such as fonts anti aliasing (Microsoft Cleartype).

I will start working on the second version as soon as I receive the Arduino Due... Meanwhile, I will be playing with Intel Power Gadget API, NVApi, and S.M.A.R.T interfaces !

I hope it will not be another fail !

schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2014/12/10 17:11:56 (permalink)
FanDuino v2.0 !

I am currently reworking the fan controller project a different way. I dropped the Arduino Mega and the touch screen. The controller has been replaced with a much more powerful Arduino Due and the display with a simple 2x16 LCD. The Due allows as many IRQ inputs as needed, and the higher clock frequency gives a far better accuracy for RPM measurements. It also allows a better control of PWM outputs : just two #define have to be modified in a header in order to get exactly 25KHz : no need to tweak prescalers or other tricky things.

The controller will fit in a modded CD reader case. There will be a "motherboard", a 2x16 or 2x20 display, some buttons and a rotary encoder. Most of the parameters will be entered with a Windows app.

The perfect case : an old CD reader, easy to take apart. It is a very common model, still avalaible : Cyber Drive 240D, picked in my junk.

The idea : a "motherboard", designed as a custom breakout board.

The actual controller, on my homebrew poor man's ELVIS (National Instruments ELVIS is an amazing but extremely expensive breadboard) : Arduino Due + USB module + Bluetooth module. The Arduino Due has two USB ports, but using an external one makes it easier to customize, for example to get an explicit "FanDuino xxx" in the Windows Device Manager. I test with the front push pull only. No need to connect all fans and pump.

The Windows app is a tray application. It displays information about CPU, GPUs, fan speeds, temperatures. Unfortunately, there is no mean to change GPUs fans behaviour and turn PWM out into a "temp sensor". Using NVAPI, I found that fan controllers are GPU enbeded, and the "end user" NVAPI offers no useful fan function for this project. Maybe the "Non Disclosure" (NDA) version does, but I am sure I will never have access to. One can read some information with the "end user" version : temps, but not power % (it is stupidely reserved to registered developpers. Why ??????? Intel API return this information for i7 and others).

The fan control is the most useful feature. I coded Arduino routines for automatic calibration. The controller can determine start, max, and stall PWM duty cycle and speeds, ramping and coasting durations, and records the response curves. It communicates with the Windows software.

Each and every PWM channel has its own custom control curve, and there is a general cooling slider. It works the same that Afterbuner/PrecisionX, with control nodes. This tab gives a quick view of the fan custom curves : red = fan inactive, magenta to blue gradient : between stall and start speed (need special control), green gradient = normal. The yellow vertical line shows the main control, relative to the custom curves.

Curves can be displayed clicking the ListView control. Two tabs : control curve and fan response. Here, how I want to control push pulls. On my rig, push pull adds little cooling but lots of noise. So, I want to run the second fan group of the push pull only near the end of control curve : the second fan group will run only when main slider is set from 80% to 100%. I also want the fans not start all together : this rad will start getting air when slider is > 20%. And I dont want the fans to receive a PWM signal of more than 80% (see below for explanations)

The fan response curve is plotted, and helps to noise optimization. On this curve, one can see control hysteresis (stall vs start). This curve also shows what happens when PWM duty cycle is more than 80% : speed stays nearly the same all the way, and is unstable. The curve does not show the consequence, but blieve me : an unstable fan produces lots of noise. So it must not to be run at more than 75-80% : it will produce only produce noise, not air.

Coding is not that easy, as I have many C++ classes to be compiled under two environments : Visual C++ and Arduino (probably GCC). Communications through USB and Blutooth are also difficult : I found no suitable libraries, so I have to do my own. And I have no emulator/debugger for Arduino : trial and error is the only way. It is really time consuming.

I also began to trace smartmontools sources with the debugger in order to understand how to access SMART information (for temps) through Intel ICHR. Sources are not commented, and very hard to read... There is absolutely no information on the web.

post edited by schmorblatz - 2014/12/10 17:52:44

schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
Re: A workstation (work in progress) 2015/05/06 16:48:03 (permalink)
Work still in progress...

The fans have to be controlled according to the power cunsumption. The power probe is now working. It is completely overkill : true RMS power. The power is calculated by a Arduino Pro Mini from a current sensor and a voltage sensor. The data are sent by a HC-05 Bluetooth module to the fan controller (Arduino Due, circuits still on a breadboard). The fan controller receives data through another HC-05 Bluetooth module (working mode = pairing, so the devices are not seen by computers, phones, etc.). It works fine. Every second, voltage and current are sampled (60 milliseconds : 3 periods), the rms power is calculated and sent over Bluetooth.

The rig needs 200~250 Watts rms idle and 1200~1250 W rms at full power (burn test). To be confirmed when the power probe will be accurately calibrated.

The power probe could be far smaller with integrated circuits (SMC Atmega328 and op amp) rather than modules, direct sensing (without transformers), and transformerless power supply... It could even be integrated to the PSU cabinet, and data could be transmitted through copper with an opto isolator. Maybe a future project...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile