Project Shipwrecked

Author
peteo_85
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 693
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2014/09/20 20:47:29 (permalink)
Hey guys! So let me give you a little background of why project shipwrecked was named that way. I've been in the military for 8 yrs and still haven't left the DC area... not by choice. So, since the ole lady decided to keep us here one more year, I decided to spend a little cheese and buy some upgrades.My old setup was running an EVGA X58 FTW3 and an i7-960 OC'd to a minimal 4.0GHz. Temps were around 38-40c idle. <---keep that in mind. So for the upgrade, I went something more nontraditional and decided to purchase the Primochill Wet Bench. I've always had an interest in mounts that weren't necessarily in the standard rectangle cases. They get boring... My old case was the Corsair Air 540 which was more cube form factor which I liked. It was an excellent cube case and had PLENTY of room for cable management but it just wasn't doin it for me. Here's what I used. All black base and carbon fiber MOBO tray: Wet Bench   
So don't hate on me for going with Z97 right as X99 was released. I have my reasons. I game, its what I do and I take pride in my builds. X99 is amazing, I understand the hype. I normally upgrade every 3 years so, 3 years from now, gen 2 or 3 of the Haswell-E may be out and much cheaper. You never know but for the tasks ill be doing with the new setup, there's no need. Please believe I saw the benchmarks of DDR4 plus the OC'd CPU's... holy crap.  

I ended up going with the 4790K. Great OC potential, low power consumption/thermal stress.... yum. 

The black on black looks amazing in my opinion. I was torn on the carbon fiber look as opposed to the standard black acrylic. I think I made the right decision. If you haven't noticed, this mobo tray sits on a 45 degree angle which was the look I was going for. I had some issues with the wet bench itself but ill get into that later.

I peeled the blue ripjaws logo on the RAM sticks to keep it black. If anyone wants BIOS or CPU-Z pics for mem speed, ill be happy to oblige. 

I used the Swiftech MCP6550B. This pump DOESN'T have speed control! But thats ok. You can regulate speed within fan regulators or BIOS, whichever you setup prefers. Great pump BTW. So I had to do some drilling in this step. I drilled two holes in the bottom left leg of the wet bench base to mount the pump. Not hars to drill through acrylic. Just be cautious not to put to much pressure on the drill as the acrylic may crack or chip. I also used 3/8 x5/8 flex tubing for the "innards" if you will. The tubing was a little tight for the 1/2in pump inlet/outlet so if you do use this setup, put the flextube in some hot water and stretch the ends to fit the pump. It will cool and form to the pump very nicely .

Shot of the outside of the pump screws after drilling. 

Heres what it looks like with the RAD and the RES installed on the rig without the MOBO tray on top. So this is underneath everything and you won't see it. I used a simple Swiftech Res with an XSPC 240 RAD just for CPU only. This wet bench can support up to a 420mm Rad but I had no use for one; ill explain later why. I also installed two Corsair Red LED HAF 120mm Fans.  

Went with a 45' fitting on the inlet due to a tight RAD placement. Worked out perfect.  

I went with the Black and White look with my fittings. Decided to go with the Primochill Diamond Cut Rigid White fittings for the in/out for the CPU block. 

As you can see I went with the EK Supremacy copper CPU Block. I went with the all black look for everything but the watercooled hardware. I thought the white was a good addition. 

Holy acrylic. So I have to point out, if you have never done or bend acrylic tubing before and you plan to, BUY MORE THAN WHAT YOU INTENDED! YOU WILL SCREW THIS UP! To get the heat right, bend and measure was a giant pain in my ass. And I only had a small part to do... Holy crap, props to you acrylic veterans. 

Just to be clear, no pun intended. I used clear rigid acrylic tubing from Primochill. It was 1/2in OD so if your looking to do the same, thats your standard. I think the do offer a larger size but thats all buyer choice. Good stuff to work with. As for the coolant. I used Mayhem's Pastel White coolant. Directions are pretty clear, one 250ml bottle mixed with 750ml of distilled water. worked awesome.Gotta say I love the black and white look. To bad I couldn't cool my 770's. I guess EK had a boo boo where the 4Gb versions of the 770's had block issues... so yes, I will be running dual ACX 770's on this setup.  Wet Bench review:It is an awesome concept. The only gripes I had with this setup was #1. The acrylic was needed to be filed down to get t he pins to fit in right. (watch the youtube video). Also the GPU mount was extremely tight. It made me uncomfortable intalling my GPU's just because I didn't want to manhandle my cars into place. That shouldn't be... Lastly, there isn't a mount for the PSU. My 850W Corsair sit on my desk underneath the wet bench...way to go primochill. Update: the 4790k @ stock 4.0Ghz is sitting pretty at 23 degrees Celsius. Thats more than a 10 degree drop over my OC'd i7-960 @4.0 GHz.  So here you go! let me know what you guys think!
post edited by peteo_85 - 2014/09/20 21:10:41

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4.0GHz LGA 1150   
EVGA Z170 Stinger
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB
ZOTAC GTX 1080 Arctic Storm 
CORSAIR SFF 600W PSU

3 Replies Related Threads

hutt132
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 504
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Project Shipwrecked 2014/09/20 22:09:14 (permalink)
    Looks great so far!

i7 8700k | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2
    Affiliate Code: JDO7EWS1SF
    Chaos_21
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Project Shipwrecked 2014/09/20 22:18:53 (permalink)
    It's going to be a nice build.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
     Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
     Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Project Shipwrecked 2014/09/20 22:25:59 (permalink)

So far so good.          =)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile