Author
saifrehman23
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2014/09/20 10:11:53 (permalink)
Hello!

I am trying to overclock my card and i'm quite confused on what my next steps would be. I am using EVGA Precision X 16, just came out, and it says i can get my voltage up to 1.3v and when i check my voltage in GPUZ it says 1.29. BUT it wont allow me to get any higher overclocks.  I had my card at +70mhz Core and +460mhz Memory when i was on the 4.2 version of Precision X and had overvolt turned on with +75mV. I have my X 16 with overvoltage at 1300mV (Supposedly) but i still get artifacts in valleys benchmark @ +70mhz Core and +460 mhz Memory when i didnt with 4.2.

So my question is, help me overclock this puppy. Lol

CPU: FX-8350 Black Edition | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1866 9-10-9-27 1.5v | Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 | GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X | PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum Rated | SSD: OCZ Vertex 460 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Case: Corsair 450D | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM

15 Replies Related Threads

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 169
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 11:26:24 (permalink)
    OK.

First thing's first, the little white spots that show up in Unigine Valley may be a byproduct of Unigine Valley / nVidia.  That's a very well-known issue that was outlined by JayzTwoCents in his video on BIOSHacking a GTX 780.  I believe it may have been fixed in the latest 344-series driver release.  So those aren't artifacts (artifacts sometimes look like crazy random polygons that pop up out of nowhere, more than they look like little white specks.... especially in Valley).  

Also, you are in the NORMAL bios (as shown by the 110% power max).  Put the switch to LN2 mode to get 5% more power availability (and a nice red light).  This BIOS is also the BIOS that you use - should you get brave - in flashing custom BIOSes on the GPU in order to completely unlock power limits (note: I do NOT condone this behavior, and I don't hold myself responsible if you create a very pretty brick by flashing the wrong BIOS).  Additionally, if you do unlock the power limit, a 750w PSU may not be enough to really let the Classified stretch its legs.  I myself have a Classy and I had an RM850, and I'm going to a Seasonic 1050 Platinum in order to allow the GPU to eat as much power as it needs.  

Lastly, it may just be that the GPU doesn't have "insane overclocking!" ability.  Mine only goes to 1098MHz Base / 1163MHz Boost, and max boost then becomes 1229MHz.  In light of people breaking 1300MHz on the core (on air) and seeing my relatively low limits, it just may be one of those cards.  If this is the case, then it's not a "bad" card in the sense of being defective, but it just doesn't handle OCs as well as its peers.  I had power at 1.26v, 150% Power Target, and it wouldn't even get to 1242MHz (the next stop up).  I stopped at that point because i didn't want to fry my PSU, my GPU, or my entire computer.  EVGA does have a "special BIOS" that they claim only works if you have an EVBot, but I noticed that my GPU is better behaved once I put it in (less idle temp, less load temps, etc.,).  I would contact ChrisB about it, and provide your Serial # for it.  

The classy is a wonderful card, OC'd or not OC'd.  Just because yours may not be one of those "epic monsters!", doesn't mean that what it does, it does better than almost any other 780 Ti out there (barring the KPE, a different animal in its own right).

Jason

DESKTOP: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 350D | ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE | Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED - 8GB GDDR5X RAM (2,560 Cores / 256-Bit) Driver: 368.81| 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Seasonic SS-1050 XP3 | Dell UP2414Q 4K IPS Monitor| Swiftech H220-x Liquid Loop | Win10 Build 14901

LAPTOP: Sager NP8265-S | Intel Core i7-4800mq @ 2.7GHz | 32GB DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 RAM | nVidia GTX 780m - 4GB GDDR5 RAM (1,536 Cores / 256-bit) Driver: 368.81 | 1TB 850 Pro SSD | BLURAY ROM | 95% Adobe 1080p MATTE SCREEN | Win10PRO x64 Build 14901
    saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 11:37:02 (permalink)
    ganzosrevenge
    OK.

First thing's first, the little white spots that show up in Unigine Valley may be a byproduct of Unigine Valley / nVidia.  That's a very well-known issue that was outlined by JayzTwoCents in his video on BIOSHacking a GTX 780.  I believe it may have been fixed in the latest 344-series driver release.  So those aren't artifacts (artifacts sometimes look like crazy random polygons that pop up out of nowhere, more than they look like little white specks.... especially in Valley).  

Also, you are in the NORMAL bios (as shown by the 110% power max).  Put the switch to LN2 mode to get 5% more power availability (and a nice red light).  This BIOS is also the BIOS that you use - should you get brave - in flashing custom BIOSes on the GPU in order to completely unlock power limits (note: I do NOT condone this behavior, and I don't hold myself responsible if you create a very pretty brick by flashing the wrong BIOS).  Additionally, if you do unlock the power limit, a 750w PSU may not be enough to really let the Classified stretch its legs.  I myself have a Classy and I had an RM850, and I'm going to a Seasonic 1050 Platinum in order to allow the GPU to eat as much power as it needs.  

Lastly, it may just be that the GPU doesn't have "insane overclocking!" ability.  Mine only goes to 1098MHz Base / 1163MHz Boost, and max boost then becomes 1229MHz.  In light of people breaking 1300MHz on the core (on air) and seeing my relatively low limits, it just may be one of those cards.  If this is the case, then it's not a "bad" card in the sense of being defective, but it just doesn't handle OCs as well as its peers.  I had power at 1.26v, 150% Power Target, and it wouldn't even get to 1242MHz (the next stop up).  I stopped at that point because i didn't want to fry my PSU, my GPU, or my entire computer.  EVGA does have a "special BIOS" that they claim only works if you have an EVBot, but I noticed that my GPU is better behaved once I put it in (less idle temp, less load temps, etc.,).  I would contact ChrisB about it, and provide your Serial # for it.  

The classy is a wonderful card, OC'd or not OC'd.  Just because yours may not be one of those "epic monsters!", doesn't mean that what it does, it does better than almost any other 780 Ti out there (barring the KPE, a different animal in its own right).

Jason

Thank you for your response, i will be moving the switch to LN2 mode and see how much more i can get. The artifacts in Unigine Valley look like polygons, long and skinny. The 750w PSU i think is enough for one card with a mild OC, how would i know if it is not enough?. I had mine at 1090mhz base and 1980mhz memory with the old 4.2.1 precision x. Did you flash your bios on LN2? I am sorry for so many questions but i am new to GPU overclocking, i rather be safe than sorry and i think you can relate.

Thanks a ton!

CPU: FX-8350 Black Edition | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1866 9-10-9-27 1.5v | Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 | GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X | PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum Rated | SSD: OCZ Vertex 460 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Case: Corsair 450D | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM
    ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 12:00:17 (permalink)
    saifrehman23
    ganzosrevenge
    OK.

Jason

Thank you for your response, i will be moving the switch to LN2 mode and see how much more i can get. The artifacts in Unigine Valley look like polygons, long and skinny. The 750w PSU i think is enough for one card with a mild OC, how would i know if it is not enough?. I had mine at 1090mhz base and 1980mhz memory with the old 4.2.1 precision x. Did you flash your bios on LN2? I am sorry for so many questions but i am new to GPU overclocking, i rather be safe than sorry and i think you can relate.

Thanks a ton!

You're artifacting.  

The RM-series from Corsair (I have an RM850), isn't really made for heavy OCing.  Factor in the fact that the Classified comes with a 144MHz OC relative to the reference version, has a 375w TDP (assuming no movement of the power target / voltage switches) versus the 250w TDP of the reference edition, and you begin to really stress out the PSU.  The PSU is made really for light OCing, corsair even states that on its power supply spreadsheet on its page.  To do insane OCs, with an unlocked BIOS, I would devote at least a 1000w PSU that's something like a EVGA gold / platinum (super-flower rebadge), an AX1200i / AX1500i (Flextronics Rebadges, both have digital signal processing and very low ripple), or a Seasonic XM3 1050w / 1250w or XP3 1050w / 1200w in order to ensure not only that you have sufficient power, but that the power being delivered to the OC'd components is clean and with as little variation in millivolts as possible.

My GPU is currently switched to LN2 mode, and it has the EVGA optional BIOS (I had to fight for it; you may have to as well, but document EVERYTHING, and do not be afraid to show EVGA its own words).  Also, your GPU Memory OC (1980 x 4) translates to 7.9GHz memory speeds.  That's an *EXTREMELY* high OC.  Lower that a bit (ie: from 1980 to 1800), and then you may even see fewer artifacts.  When you OC the memory, it makes more errors in its functions, and after a certain point, the errors become so great that it affects the functionality of the card.  Once that's lowered, then you can see if your GPU can go past 1,090MHz.  Some GPUs are great core-clock OCers and horrible memory OCers.  The name "classified" doesn't guarantee "super duper OCs", but rather that you have the potential to get super duper OCs if the card is right and you know what you're doing.  

Lower the memory OC to 1800, and then SLOWLY ramp up the GPU clocks.  You may have a 1300MHz monster, but are ruining it with an excessive VRAM overclock.  But do that once you get a PSU that's built for overclocking.

Jason

DESKTOP: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 350D | ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE | Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED - 8GB GDDR5X RAM (2,560 Cores / 256-Bit) Driver: 368.81| 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Seasonic SS-1050 XP3 | Dell UP2414Q 4K IPS Monitor| Swiftech H220-x Liquid Loop | Win10 Build 14901

LAPTOP: Sager NP8265-S | Intel Core i7-4800mq @ 2.7GHz | 32GB DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 RAM | nVidia GTX 780m - 4GB GDDR5 RAM (1,536 Cores / 256-bit) Driver: 368.81 | 1TB 850 Pro SSD | BLURAY ROM | 95% Adobe 1080p MATTE SCREEN | Win10PRO x64 Build 14901
    saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 12:10:51 (permalink)
    ganzosrevenge
    saifrehman23
    ganzosrevenge
    OK.

Jason

Thanks a ton!

You're artifacting.  

The RM-series from Corsair (I have an RM850), isn't really made for heavy OCing.  Factor in the fact that the Classified comes with a 144MHz OC relative to the reference version, has a 375w TDP (assuming no movement of the power target / voltage switches) versus the 250w TDP of the reference edition, and you begin to really stress out the PSU.  The PSU is made really for light OCing, corsair even states that on its power supply spreadsheet on its page.  To do insane OCs, with an unlocked BIOS, I would devote at least a 1000w PSU that's something like a EVGA gold / platinum (super-flower rebadge), an AX1200i / AX1500i (Flextronics Rebadges, both have digital signal processing and very low ripple), or a Seasonic XM3 1050w / 1250w or XP3 1050w / 1200w in order to ensure not only that you have sufficient power, but that the power being delivered to the OC'd components is clean and with as little variation in millivolts as possible.

My GPU is currently switched to LN2 mode, and it has the EVGA optional BIOS (I had to fight for it; you may have to as well, but document EVERYTHING, and do not be afraid to show EVGA its own words).  Also, your GPU Memory OC (1980 x 4) translates to 7.9GHz memory speeds.  That's an *EXTREMELY* high OC.  Lower that a bit (ie: from 1980 to 1800), and then you may even see fewer artifacts.  When you OC the memory, it makes more errors in its functions, and after a certain point, the errors become so great that it affects the functionality of the card.  Once that's lowered, then you can see if your GPU can go past 1,090MHz.  Some GPUs are great core-clock OCers and horrible memory OCers.  The name "classified" doesn't guarantee "super duper OCs", but rather that you have the potential to get super duper OCs if the card is right and you know what you're doing.  

Lower the memory OC to 1800, and then SLOWLY ramp up the GPU clocks.  You may have a 1300MHz monster, but are ruining it with an excessive VRAM overclock.  But do that once you get a PSU that's built for overclocking.

Jason

Thank you so much for your time and effort! Wonderful response, I will be lowering my memory clock to 1800 as you mentioned then slowly upping the core on LN2, I'll keep my overvoltage where it is at, 1.3V since temps are good. Ill have to keep this current rig for a while, kinda broke ya know? College hurts your pocket... What would you do in my situation? Get the optional bios and try to OC? OR keep it on LN2 and see how much you can get with Precision X 16 @ 1.3V 1800mhz memory and pushing up the core clock to see where you land?

Should i switch the bios switch when the card is powered off?

And im surprised you said its a extremely high OC for memory, i was actually running completely fine when i had Precision X 4.2! That's crazy!\

Again sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your answers!

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 12:55:29 (permalink)
    I have over-voltage on at 1300mV but on the voltage on Precision X 16 its saying 1150 - 1180. Im running on the LN2 and im artifacting, even on 0mhz memory overclock and 70mhz core clock! I think the voltage is not really changing the voltage...

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 13:05:24 (permalink)
    WOW to my surprise i turned off over voltage and i didnt artifact all the way up to 100mhz but it did freeze on me... after about a minute of running valley. With overvoltage off the slider is all the way at the top. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    post edited by saifrehman23 - 2014/09/20 13:10:29

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 15:33:01 (permalink)
    OK, so set it to a low OC and enjoy the GPU for what it is.  Even though it's not "SUPER OC!" it's an awesome GPU at reference.  Some of them, just don't like OCs.  Mine though, even though it sucks at OC, doesn't get above 74 Deg C when benchmarking.  That's with KBOOST on and everything.

Yes, switch the BIOS switch when the PC is off.
    post edited by ganzosrevenge - 2014/09/20 15:45:00

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 15:47:04 (permalink)
    I HAVE THE NEED FOR MORE POWAAAAAA!!!! I think ill just pick up the unlocked voltage bios i'm pretty sure that's whats limiting me. A good 750watt PSU should be enough. I also want to buy the backplate but its out of stock :(. Amazon says it will ship but 2-5 weeks for it to get here, JEEZ. I don't think EVGA will re-up since they are discontinuing the cards.  My kboost wont even turn on in Precision X 16. Switch doesnt work, should i reinstall maybe?

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 16:15:00 (permalink)
    saifrehman23
    I HAVE THE NEED FOR MORE POWAAAAAA!!!! I think ill just pick up the unlocked voltage bios i'm pretty sure that's whats limiting me. A good 750watt PSU should be enough. I also want to buy the backplate but its out of stock :(. Amazon says it will ship but 2-5 weeks for it to get here, JEEZ. I don't think EVGA will re-up since they are discontinuing the cards.  My kboost wont even turn on in Precision X 16. Switch doesnt work, should i reinstall maybe?

If you're insanely desiring for more power, there IS the kingpin edition... 52MHz more out of the box, 2 8-pin connectors and a 6-pin connector (450w Total).  There is also the upcoming GTX 980 Classified, which according to the 980 page has a stock speed of 1291MHz and a boost that's over 1400MHz.  It's also 2 8-pins.  However, when that GPU is scheduled to come out is anyone's guess.  Personally, I would start bios hacking and getting a BIOS from a third party (Disclaimer: this is NOT condoned, and may do bad things)... but on a 750w PSU, you're really going to be pushing its limits.  Beyond this, the RM-series is more for "LIGHT overclocking".  Yes, it's 80-plus gold, yes it can go up to 1000w, but various reviewers have noted that at, and near, 100% load, the RM-series has ripple issues.  (Techpowerup review of the RM1000, for instance)  With an OC'd classy that has an unlocked BIOS, you can EASILY pull over 600w just on the GPU and cause issues.

Your best bet may be to get a PSU such as an HX1000i, 1000P2, 1000G2, or other PSU with components built for heavy overclocking. 

Jason

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 16:35:09 (permalink)
    Man, i already submitted a rebate on the power supply. Eh so for now i'll just do a small OC on stock voltages? Could i not push it just a little bit further with the modded bios? I'll pick up a new PSU maybe in a couple of months along with building a custom water cooling loop for the cpu and gpu and getting some serious Overclocks in.

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 16:41:42 (permalink)
    saifrehman23
    Man, i already submitted a rebate on the power supply. Eh so for now i'll just do a small OC on stock voltages? Could i not push it just a little bit further with the modded bios? I'll pick up a new PSU maybe in a couple of months along with building a custom water cooling loop for the cpu and gpu and getting some serious Overclocks in.

Small is OK... but I wouldn't go much beyond 50MHz on a 750W PSU with a 115% Target.  If you have the modded BIOS, be *VERY* careful.  Modded BIOSes allow for anywhere between a 150% power target (about 550w to the GPU), to a 300w Power Target (about 1,000w to the GPU).  It is best to use these higher settings (ie: over about 150%) if you have a liquid cooled GPU, or a more extreme means of cooling the GPU.  If you think your case gets hot when you're at full power (110 to 115% power target) now.... these modded BIOSes will give a whole new definition to heat.  It's best, if you don't have a ton of power, just to use the normal LN2 BIOS and keep OCs conservative.  I don't OC my GPU anymore (because of my PSU, and because the Classy has more power than I'd ever need).  If I needed more power, I'd just get a KPE, or wait for the 980 classified.

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 16:48:25 (permalink)
    My case actually doesn't get hot, temps aren't a problem, the PSU is the problem according to your information. Before i was running +70mhz Core and +460mhz Memory just fine, no artifacts at all no crashes, no freezing, nothing. The PSU fan spins up a bit when playing but no heat problems. I have good airflow in my case, if a graphics intense game which is more than likely to be cpu intense as well, heats up my CPU socket temp the case fans start running higher. Once the socket temps reach 68 the fans are running at 100% which never occurs and my gpu temps never go above 75 while gaming and benchmarking. WITH THE OC.

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 17:02:58 (permalink)
    Then your PSU is the limiting factor.  Or, the GPU is at its limits and can't be OC'd any more.

saifrehman23
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 17:20:32 (permalink)
    We are deviating from the original post i made, can you please read it again and answer it? I didn't need this lecture. You are the first person to tell me 750w is not enough for one card.

ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    Re: [OVERCLOCKING] EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooling 2014/09/20 17:26:30 (permalink)
    saifrehman23
    We are deviating from the original post i made, can you please read it again and answer it? I didn't need this lecture. You are the first person to tell me 750w is not enough for one card.

For one card at stock (or at a small OC), it's fine.  For one card with an unlocked BIOS and a massive power target (ie: 300%), if you're not careful, you can kill a PSU (or the GPU) very quickly.  I'm not lecturing you (so please don't take it as such), I'm just advising you based on my experience with an RM850.    Back on topic of overclocking... yes a modded BIOS may help your OC, so that's why I'm saying if you feel comfortable, to go for it, but the reason I said 750w PSU may not be enough still stands when the power target is increased significantly.  

(Also, my lecturing tone is much, much different.) 

Jason

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile