Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s

Author
Garandhero
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/12/01 15:22:17 (permalink)
Hey,

So I am running 2 780 "FTW" cards, and they have different BIOS versions.

The first one I got has version 80.80.21.00.80

The second one came with 80.10.3A.00.80

They are both running the same clocks, but the second card has a slightly higher voltage.  
Is this an issue at all, should I update the first card I got to the second cards BIOS or vice versa?  Does it even matter?

I've been using it for a week no problems, just wondering what I should do about it long term

ALSO, why no water-blocks for the 780 "FTW" edition (Abbreviated bad language deleted).
ALSO, do the back-plates really do anything for temps, or is it a gimmick?
post edited by XrayMan - 2014/09/18 19:19:12

17 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2013/12/01 19:02:09 (permalink)
    Garandhero
    Hey,

They are both running the same clocks, but the second card has a slightly higher voltage.  
    Is this an issue at all, should I update the first card I got to the second cards BIOS or vice versa?  Does it even matter?

I've been using it for a week no problems, just wondering what I should do about it long term

ALSO, why no water-blocks for the 780 "FTW" edition (Quoted abbreviated bad language deleted.)

Different vBIOS versions indicate that the cards have different memory brands installed on the PCB. e.g. one card is running samsung while the other is running hynix. There are three different memory brands your cards could be running which are samsung, hynix or elpida. The card with slightly higher default voltage will overclock lower on air cooling but higher on water cooling, the card with lower default voltage will overclock higher on air cooling but lower on water cooling.

Answer to waterblock question: http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2069380

A backplate will not really help temps at all... maybe 1c if you're lucky. A backplates main purpose is to protect the back of the PCB from damage and to make the card look awesome. 

post edited by XrayMan - 2014/09/18 19:20:08
    LordChariot
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2013/12/27 15:38:56 (permalink)
    I also just installed two GTX 780 FTWs with different BIOSes.
    80.10.3A.01.80(P2083-0020)
    80.80.21.01.80(P2083-0021)

Is it ok to run them mismatched like this?
    Should I backup the newer one and flash it over the older one?
    I don't see any officially posted BIOS update from eVGA to get them updated. Are there any, or is any update going to be a modded BIOS? I am reluctant to customize them with a 3rd party BIOS, and would rather prefer to keep them stock.

Duke4
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 423
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/06 11:53:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Garandhero
    Hey,

ALSO, why no water-blocks for the 780 "FTW" edition  (Quoted abbreviated bad language deleted.)

Different vBIOS versions indicate that the cards have different memory brands installed on the PCB. e.g. one card is running samsung while the other is running hynix. There are three different memory brands your cards could be running which are samsung, hynix or elpida. The card with slightly higher default voltage will overclock lower on air cooling but higher on water cooling, the card with lower default voltage will overclock higher on air cooling but lower on water cooling.

A backplate will not really help temps at all... maybe 1c if you're lucky. A backplates main purpose is to protect the back of the PCB from damage and to make the card look awesome. 

That's not really true I have 2 GTX 780 classy and one got Hynix and the other one got samsung and they both have the same bios :)
    post edited by XrayMan - 2014/09/18 19:21:05

GPU : Asus RTX 2080 Ti Strix OC 2130MHz 1.081v  MB : EVGA Z390 DARK CPU : 9900KS R0 5.2GHz/4.8GHz Ring 1.34v AVX 0 Offset RAM : Team Group Xtreem T-Force 8PACK 4300MHz CL17 1.5v PSU : EVGA T2 1000w Chassi : 800D SSD/HDD : Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 Bootdrive 3 SSD's (2TB all in all) and one 2TB HDD

FlankerWang
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/13 11:36:07 (permalink)
    Duke4
    Sajin
    Garandhero
    Hey,

ALSO, why no water-blocks for the 780 "FTW" edition  (Quoted abbreviated bad language deleted.)

That's not really true I have 2 GTX 780 classy and one got Hynix and the other one got samsung and they both have the same bios :)

In fact, BIOS like 80.10.XX.XX.XX is for 780 with GK110-A1 chip, BIOS like 80.80.XX.XX.XX is for 780 with GK110-B1 chip
    You can check it with latest version of GPU-Z
    post edited by XrayMan - 2014/09/18 19:21:35
    thageek
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:06:53 (permalink)
    This differences in the bios files could be the cause of the problem with my cards, I'm getting an error in the system management "This device cannot start error code (10)" I haven't check the bios in any of the cards, the weird part comes  when both cards are connected, one of the cards show this error, then I switch them and it's the same, try with different systems and it's the same.

EVGA tech support told me to try a BIOS flash for both cards, if this doesn't solve my problem the it's RMA :(

Any suggestions?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:10:47 (permalink)
    thageek
    This differences in the bios files could be the cause of the problem with my cards, I'm getting an error in the system management "This device cannot start error code (10)" I haven't check the bios in any of the cards, the weird part comes  when both cards are connected, one of the cards show this error, then I switch them and it's the same, try with different systems and it's the same.

EVGA tech support told me to try a BIOS flash for both cards, if this doesn't solve my problem the it's RMA :(

Any suggestions?

EVGA didn't send you a current vBIOS to flash to both cards?

thageek
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:27:29 (permalink)
    The told me they have to ask for the files to taiwan (and that is not a joke), after they receive the files the will send it to my with instructions, apparently this process will take three to four days :'(

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:35:29 (permalink)
    thageek
    The told me they have to ask for the files to taiwan (and that is not a joke), after they receive the files the will send it to my with instructions, apparently this process will take three to four days :'(

You can download and use GPU-Z to see if your vBIOSes match. 
    thageek
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:37:48 (permalink)
    Sajin
    thageek

You can download and use  to see if your vBIOSes match. 

yeah, I'll do that, thanks :)
    I hope the change in the BIOS fix this problem, here in México the RMA process is a nightmare :(
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:41:35 (permalink)
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek

I hope the change in the BIOS fix this problem, here in México the RMA process is a nightmare :(

No problem. Let me know if they don't match. I can help you flash the cards.
    thageek
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:46:04 (permalink)
    Sajin
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek

thanks a lot man :D
    You think this problem was caused by my MOBO? if they send me new cards I don't wanna suffer the same problem because of that :(
    post edited by thageek - 2014/09/18 15:48:25
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 15:50:41 (permalink)
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek

You think this problem was caused by my MOBO? if they send me new cards I don't wanna suffer the same problem because of that :(

No, I think there is something wrong with the cards. We will find out soon. 
    post edited by Sajin - 2014/09/18 15:55:34
    ilgeek
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 23:10:09 (permalink)
    Sajin
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek
    Sajin
    thageek

No, I think there is something wrong with the cards. We will find out soon. 

I did check the BIOS version using the GPUZ this are the screens:

apparently both cards share the same BIOS the weird part is in the 3rd and 4th screen, one of the card doesn't show the info and the amount of V-ram is higher, I don't know what that means :( I tried both PCI-E ports just to be sure, and switch the cards between ports, both PCI-E seams to function well, should I try with other cards and connect them in SLI just to be sure?
    Sigh* 

Thanks for your help :)
    post edited by ilgeek - 2014/09/18 23:12:50

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/18 23:25:13 (permalink)
    Looks like you don't have any drivers loaded. Are you sure you installed the correct drivers? Try installing these drivers right > here <
    ilgeek
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/19 00:11:16 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Looks like you don't have any drivers loaded. Are you sure you installed the correct drivers? Try installing these drivers right > <

Hi, I actually install the drivers, and they seams to work fine, as long theres only one card running, but if I install the drivers and use both cards the video signal goes off, then I tried to cheat, installing the drivers only with one card in the system, then put the other card, using that method allows me to maintain my video signal, but the Nvidia control panel doesn't show the second video card installed. :'(

Right now I just received the mail with the new BIOS from EVGA tech support, I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

Thanks for your attention man, i really appreciate your help :)

Good night.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/19 00:17:21 (permalink)
    ilgeek
    Sajin
    Looks like you don't have any drivers loaded. Are you sure you installed the correct drivers? Try installing these drivers right > <

Hi, I actually install the drivers, and they seams to work fine, as long theres only one card running, but if I install the drivers and use both cards the video signal goes off, then I tried to cheat, installing the drivers only with one card in the system, then put the other card, using that method allows me to maintain my video signal, but the Nvidia control panel doesn't show the second video card installed. :'(

Right now I just received the mail with the new BIOS from EVGA tech support, I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

Good night.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. 
    thageek
    Re: Different BIOS versions for my SLI GTX 780 "FTW"s 2014/09/19 10:20:27 (permalink)
    Sajin
    ilgeek
    Sajin

Good night.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. 

Well the file came, and the system show me this error:
    "No display Adapters were found that are compatible with this update"

I tried the installation without the Nvidia drivers and with the drivers installed, the same message appears, I don't know if the sent me the wrong file or truly this is the result of the cards being faulty.

Sigh... the RMA it's gonna be a nightmare :(
    post edited by thageek - 2014/09/19 10:23:10
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile