• Ribbons : 0
2014/09/16 02:03:37 (permalink)
Current Setup:
Intel i7 990x stock
EVGA X58 FTW3
6x4gb gskill 1600 9-9-9-24 ram
500gb SSD (main), 1TB SSD (secondary)
1000W PSU, and 2 GTX 680's

I need to give a bit of background on what has happened; I have had this setup for a while now, everything worked great, all 24gb of my ram was recognized. Today I got a bunch of bsods, I did some searching and found it was software based, so I reinstalled windows on my 1TB SSD. After reinstalling it seems it may have been corrupt because I kept getting the damn bsods, so I installed windows on my 500gb SSD instead - it worked and everything was fine except I noticed windows system information was listing 24gb (7.99 usable). I decided to look further into it and low and behold my BIOS shows ~8.3gb for use. Additionally it was EXTREMELY hot today, I really hope none of my components got fried but at this point it may be a possibility but I need to ask here first (just keep this point on the back burner for now)

The problem:
1.) BIOS is showing only 8gb
2.) Windows is showing 24gb (7.99 usable) also it says it is allocating 16gb to hardware

Things I have tried:
1.) Updated BIOS - all updated
2.) msconfig advanced boot options maximum memory checked and unchecked - I tried both.
3.) Physically took out each stick of ram and tested them - no problems
4.) Modifying the voltage settings/timings since the BIOS likes to set my default to 7-7-7-20 and everything else to auto (however, when I set it to 9-9-9-24 the voltage was 1.7v stock 1600 should be 1.5v so I have not tested that. I am not an expert by any means so I'm hesitant about doing that.)

Random other notes:
I took out each stick and put them all in different slots, initially this fixed the BIOS, to which it showed 24gb; however, upon another restart BIOS showed 8gb.

Things I have yet to try:
9-9-9-24, 1600, at 1.5v
memtest86+ (I don't know if I should since I'm pretty damn sure it is nothing to do with the ram)
physical cmos clear on the mobo (I have no idea why this would work but I am running out of ideas)

I will take any help you guys can offer; I am extremely disheartened about this since if it is a component error I don't believe I am covered by warranty and I am not in a good financial standing to replace these components. I have been struggling all day trying to solve this problem and it is driving me absolutely insane!!! Thank you.

-Flub

3 Replies Related Threads

dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: X58 FTW3 Bios only recognizing 8/25gb ram 2014/09/16 06:25:24 (permalink)
    Well I would still run memtest86 to rule out the memory, a stick could have just happened to fail and caused corruption of the os in the first place. To me it sounds like some form of memory failure or instability, don't know why it would just happen out of the blue but that's what it sounds like. It is important to know if you have this machine overclocked. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Flubleah
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X58 FTW3 Bios only recognizing 8/25gb ram 2014/09/16 16:43:43 (permalink)
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses; I tried everything in both those threads. I reseated all sticks and it managed to recognize all 24, then I restarted got 16, oddly enough changing the BIOS to stock settings for my ram drops it to 8gb, so I used default settings and I'm back up to 16 which is decent.

These are probably my options:
    1.) 2 or 4 sticks are toasted
    2.) The slots on the mobo are screwed
    3.) My CPU has burned out plates or my mobo has bent pins

I guess my next step is testing the ram with memtest86, I'll do that and report back here; Thanks guys.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile