Helpful ReplyStill no Console Mode?

Author
rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/21 04:03:13 (permalink)
OK, it's time for me to gripe a bit. Ever since I pre-ordered this thing, I've been expecting to see Console Mode brought to this tablet. It's a feature found on the Shield Portable, a device with nearly identical specs, so it's hard to imagine the TN7 isn't capable of this feature. What's really grinding my gears is that now we see this feature on the new Shield Tablet, yet it's still not on the TN7. You know what it's called when a manufacturer withholds certain software features from a previous device despite the fact that it's perfectly capable of said features?
Planned obsolescence. It's an attempt to strongarm you into buying their latest product. It's infuriating and one of the primary reasons I left the iOS ecosystem years ago as Apple is the true master of this deplorable practice. Companies are so focused on using tactics and subterfuge to get you to keep buying the latest product that they completely overlook their most important commodity: loyalty. Apple lost any shred of loyalty I had toward them, and now I'm concerned Nvidia may be doing the same thing with their products.
Don't punish me for being an early adopter of your products, Nvidia. I bought into this whole Tegra/Shield platform early on because I felt I could trust a company like Nvidia to not leave me hanging, but after 9 months of waiting for a feature as simple as Console Mode, I'm beginning to question my loyalty, just like I did 4 years ago with my iPhone.
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5064
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/08/21 04:58:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchrdcrg 2014/08/21 05:00:13
Imagine that...a customer expecting to get what they paid for?    I hear you and it is a shameful reality of some businesses (especially ones in the computing industry).  They always seek that next "carrot" to dangle in front of you to lead a customer to the next purchase, but disregard the one thing that will bring you there and that is "brand loyalty".  That loyalty is earned by building trust with the customer and delighting them.  Unfortunately, too many companies pay little to no attention to these principles of good business and assume there will always be a fresh crop of customers to replace those that are unsatisfied.

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/08/21 13:22:04 (permalink)
It would be better if you posted your concerns on NVIDIA's forums. EVGA is only a retailer and does not have control over the developement of this product nor its software.
https://forums.geforce.co.../board/138/tegra-note/
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/08/21 13:24:06
rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/08/22 04:19:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
It would be better if you posted your concerns on NVIDIA's forums. EVGA is only a retailer and does not have control over the developement of this product nor its software.
https://forums.geforce.co.../board/138/tegra-note/

Errrr... good point! I feel kinda dumb that I've had this thing for 9 months and never thought to check out their forum, haha! Thanks for the link, too!
Dooms87
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1020
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/12 15:46:32 (permalink)
Well May not be Console mode i doubt if they will ever come to this tablet but if you want to be able to use Gamestream you're covered
Non Root
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en

Rooted
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight.root&hl=en

I can use the Gamestream tech on my HTC one and Nexus 7 using the app above and with more controler support if your rooted

NZXT Phantom 630 - Asus P6X58D-E - EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4gb  - Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz OC @ 4.0Ghz - H80 
Corsair HX1000W - Corsair 12gb DD3 Dominator ram 1600 - Intel 80 gig X25m SSD -
Samsung 500g HDD -Logitech G15 - Logitech G9X -Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/15 00:31:29 (permalink)
Dooms87
Well May not be Console mode i doubt if they will ever come to this tablet but if you want to be able to use Gamestream you're covered
Non Root

Rooted

I can use the Gamestream tech on my HTC one and Nexus 7 using the app above and with more controler support if your rooted

That's great and all, but I'm more of a console gamer and not so much a PC gamer, so I have no use for Gamestream.
Dooms87
FTW Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/15 14:45:09 (permalink)
rchrdcrg
Dooms87
Non Root

Rooted

That's great and all, but I'm more of a console gamer and not so much a PC gamer, so I have no use for Gamestream.

okay..... not really sure how you would intend to use console mode if you're not a PC gamer since you're PC is whats rendering the game for you. Unless you want to play android games on a big screen i guess? either way if Gamestream was reverse engineered they might find a way to do it for console mode also

NZXT Phantom 630 - Asus P6X58D-E - EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4gb  - Intel I7 930 2.8 Ghz OC @ 4.0Ghz - H80 
rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/15 14:51:02 (permalink)
That's exactly what console mode is, an easier way to play games on the TV. For the Shield Portable and Tablet, it outputs the image at a 16:9 aspect ratio, offers a controller-compatible interface, and gives the game you play full command of the device's resources (instead of sharing them with all of the other apps that can run in the background). It's a completely separate feature from Gamestream. You can get the same effect using the right launcher, setting background apps to zero in developer settings, and running a terminal command to fix the output resolution, but that's all quite a pain. The lack of an official feature from Nvidia is frustrating since it's on their other devices, and there's no technical reason it wouldn't work except they probably won't spend the resources to rework the console mode interface for 720p output (and running games at 1080p on a tab with only 1 GB of RAM probably isn't a great idea either).
Dooms87
FTW Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/15 16:23:15 (permalink)
rchrdcrg
That's exactly what console mode is, an easier way to play games on the TV. For the Shield Portable and Tablet, it outputs the image at a 16:9 aspect ratio, offers a controller-compatible interface, and gives the game you play full command of the device's resources (instead of sharing them with all of the other apps that can run in the background). It's a completely separate feature from Gamestream. You can get the same effect using the right launcher, setting background apps to zero in developer settings, and running a terminal command to fix the output resolution, but that's all quite a pain. The lack of an official feature from Nvidia is frustrating since it's on their other devices, and there's no technical reason it wouldn't work except they probably won't spend the resources to rework the console mode interface for 720p output (and running games at 1080p on a tab with only 1 GB of RAM probably isn't a great idea either).

I'm well aware what console mode is. The two technologies were built to work in sync with each other you game stream to the device and go to console mode and PC games from the couch so i'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve. If Android games on a big tv is what you want well i guess to each their own.

rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/15 16:58:54 (permalink)
Well that's that I mean, console mode is exclusively for Android games on the big screen... it has literally nothing to do with console mode. I'm a firm believer that Android games have the ability to supplant the existing gaming console market, but without proper "console" support, it's never going to get there, and the fact that they're semi-ignoring the TN7 in favor of the Shield Tablet makes me wary of supporting their newest tablet.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/20 15:54:35 (permalink)
Dooms87

I'm well aware what console mode is. The two technologies were built to work in sync with each other you game stream to the device and go to console mode and PC games from the couch so i'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve.

I don't think that you are well aware.

Dooms87
okay..... not really sure how you would intend to use console mode if you're not a PC gamer since you're PC is whats rendering the game for you.

Console Mode != GameStream

http://shield.nvidia.com/specs-and-features/

CONSOLE MODE
Transform your NVIDIA SHIELD into a full living room gaming and entertainment experience on your big-screen TV. Sync a Bluetooth controller and play your Android and PC games in HD.

Console Mode is for HD TV gameplay.
GameStream is for streaming PC games to the SHIELD.
They are different things.
If you want to GameStream in Console Mode, it is an option; but still different things.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/09/20 18:44:18
Dooms87
FTW Member
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/20 23:46:44 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Dooms87

I'm well aware what console mode is. The two technologies were built to work in sync with each other you game stream to the device and go to console mode and PC games from the couch so i'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve.

I don't think that you are well aware.

Dooms87
okay..... not really sure how you would intend to use console mode if you're not a PC gamer since you're PC is whats rendering the game for you.

Console Mode != GameStream

http://shield.nvidia.com/specs-and-features/

CONSOLE MODE
Transform your NVIDIA SHIELD into a full living room gaming and entertainment experience on your big-screen TV. Sync a Bluetooth controller and play your Android and PC games in HD.

Console Mode is for HD TV gameplay.
GameStream is for streaming PC games to the SHIELD.
They are different things.
If you want to GameStream in Console Mode, it is an option; but still different things.

Yeah... Actually i am well aware what console mode thxs. The context of my conversation was under the assumption that i didn't believe anyone actually wanted to play android games on a big screen tv, I never stated it wasn't possible to do so try reading my whole post instead of picking lines of it. I highly doubt that when Nvidia created the shield and these technologies that's what they intended their main uses to be. I believed that it's purpose was to take your PC games on the go and bring your pc to the living room hence the boom of streaming options and steam machines etc .
post edited by Dooms87 - 2014/09/20 23:50:39

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Still no Console Mode? 2014/09/21 09:51:16 (permalink)
I think streaming a game from your PC (on SHIELD or Steambox) is horribly stupid and will never plan to use such a feature myself (even though I do own a SHIELD and have screwed around with setting up a Steambox).  Yet, even though I think it is a horribly stupid and inefficient method "bringing the game to your living room" due to the added complexity, latency, unnecessary abstraction, and power wasted, you don't see me saying that it is not possible to do so or that a SHIELD is incapable of doing such a thing.  ;)
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile