EVGA

I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the Dark?

Author
Theboatswain
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/02 14:23:50 (permalink)
 I have had the Dark for a while I have through 4 boards now, 2 sets of memory and a 3930 CPU, After talking to the Customer service guys they say it wasn't the boards but each time I tested the boards outside the case with same power supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200, 2 GTX 580 and two GTX 780's  Gskill 2133 and Gskill 2400 memory both require 1.65v and this is where I usually run into the issue. I never get the correct reading in the UEFI on the voltage so I use the Octopus and my Flute that is calibrated and when I set the memory at the correct voltage METEST will read the memory correctly but the memory fails at test 7 when I use the Flute and get the Memory to 1.65v the board is reading 1.78 to 1.83v but when you set it to 1.65v by the board settings the flute reads 1.49 to 1.52v. I got power spikes at light off that took out the Memory and the CPU but the Techs say the boards are fine. As for the power supply it has been running my ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 with same new Memory Gskill sent me after the first Dark board Fired the memory and Gskill verified the memory was done, this was a $393.00 Kit that was on the QVL list and still is. Board three took out the CPU as I think the memory controller was on its way out from board 2, Board one was Nates Test Chicken and stuff happens. A lot of us have some awesome water blocks thanks to that adventure.
  Now Jeff I believe is the Gentleman's name had my fourth board tested prior to having it sent to me and they put it through the paces and I really feel safe here.  My dilemma and request for some sound advice is I have the Asus Black Edition working Great at 4.4 every day with an offset +20 and my just sitting around temps never get above 32c on the CPU , Gaming never higher than 35 - 36C. This board dose have its issues, I have a killer warranty on the EVGA board hands down. The EVGA  board presents it's self a bit better. But the Overclocking is a lot more difficult or it was with the 3930 CPU now I have a 4930 and with the ASUS it was tricky but I figured it out. I could call them for help but I have always relied on the forums here. 
  So here is the Question Which board is Better the EVGA Dark or the Asus Rampage Black Edition? Have the Bios been fixed to where the voltages are a bit closer and can we use the offset to overclock with or is it still power clock and go?
 I am completely water cooled, Chipset VRM's, CPU, and Video Cards, 2 loops with two 360's , I have 2 OCZ Vertex 460 240 GB in RAID 0, 2 Intel 540's  120's in RAID 0, 2 WD Raptors 250's in RAID 1, and 1 WD 1 TB Back up Drive, 2 GTX 780 3gb soon to be 6gb Type water cooled, Intel 4930, GSKILL 16gb 2400 Memory, HT Omega Ecarlo Soundcard, and Samsung 4K monitor. Any help would be highly appreciated.  
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2014/09/09 23:54:42

If I could go all American I would!

15 Replies Related Threads

CSPlayer089
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/02 17:21:09 (permalink)
    paragraphs please

AsRock Z490 Taichi
    Intel Core i9 10900k 
    Gigabyte AORUS 3080Ti Master 12GB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2 PSU
    32GB (4x8GB) Mushkin Redline Lumina DDR4-3600
    Creative Labs Soundblaster X G6 USB DAC/Sound Card
    EK Basic AIO 360 w/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 Redux
    WD Black SN850 1TB SSD
    Phanteks Enthoo 719 full tower case 
    ASUS PG32UQ G-Sync Monitor
    Hyper X Alloy Elite Keyboard
    HyperX Pulsefire Dart/Steelseries QcK Mass mousepad
    Kingston Hyper X Cloud headset

Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/03 13:28:36 (permalink)
    CSPlayer089
    paragraphs please

I have had several X79 Dark’s  as I have gone through 4 boards now which burned up, 2 sets of memory and a 3930 CPU, I spoke to the customer service guys and they say it wasn't the boards. I water cool so each time I tested the boards outside the case first and only one of them made it in the case tubes ran and this is the one that took out the CPU.
         I tested them with same power supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200, 2 GTX 580 both times, for the memory I used on the 1st board Gskill 2133 and on the second board Gskill 2400 memory both required 1.65v and this is where I usually run into the issue. I never get the correct reading in the UEFI on the voltage so I use the Octopus Header and my Flute that is calibrated and when I set the memory at according to the flute and the Octopus Header to verify the correct voltage. When I use the Flute and get the Memory to 1.65v but the UEFI is reading 1.78 to 1.83v but when you set it to 1.65v according to the UEFI the flute reads 1.49 to 1.52v and run MEMTEST the memory will not read correctly and fails at test 7 but when I manually set it with the Flute it reads correctly in MEMTEST and passes.
         I got power spikes at light off that took out the Memory and the CPU but the EVGA Techs say the boards are still fine. As for the power supply it has been running my ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 with same new Memory Gskill sent me to replace the memory the DARK board destroyed. This is Gskill has been verified to be on the QVL list.
         Board three took out the CPU as I think the memory controller was on its way out from board 2, Board one was Nates Test Chicken and stuff happens. A lot of us have some awesome water blocks thanks to that adventure.
        Now Jeff I believe is the Gentleman's name had my fourth board tested prior to having it sent to me and they put it through the paces and I really feel safe here.  My dilemma and request for some sound advice is I have the Asus Black Edition working Great at 4.4 every day with an offset +20 and my just sitting around temps never get above 32c on the CPU , Gaming never higher than 35 - 36C.
         I have a killer warranty on the EVGA board hands down. The EVGA board presents its self a bit better. But the Overclocking is a lot more difficult or it was with the 3930 CPU now I have a 4930 and with the ASUS it was tricky but I figured it out. I could call them for help but I have always relied on the forums here for that when it comes to the EVGA boards and ASUS forums for their boards. 

So here is the Question Which board is Better the EVGA Dark or the Asus Rampage Black Edition? 

Have the Bios been fixed to where the voltages are a bit closer and can we use the offset to overclock with or is it still power clock and go?

I am completely water cooled, Chipset VRM's, CPU, and Video Cards, 2 loops with two 360's , I have 2 OCZ Vertex 460 240 GB in RAID 0, 2 Intel 540's  120's in RAID 0, 2 WD Raptors 250's in RAID 1, and 1 WD 1 TB Back up Drive, 2 GTX 780 3gb soon to be 6gb Type water cooled, Intel 4930, GSKILL 16gb 2400 Memory, HT Omega Ecarlo Soundcard, and Samsung 4K monitor. Any help would be highly appreciated.  I hope the Grammar is more to your liking.
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2014/09/09 23:55:05

Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/09 14:50:11 (permalink)
    Well I didn't get any responses for my request for help, probably because of the Donkey reply about my Grammar.  
         1st I apologize to all of you for my grammar, spell check on an IPhone isn't the greatest.
         2nd I made it to 11th grade before beat the biggest bully in high school up so bad that I got arrested and was in the Navy two weeks later, but he hit my best friend my baby brother god rest his soul.
         3rd I started out on Submarines as an Engineman but the XO didn't like Mexicans nor half breeds and called me something I didn't like so I broke his jaw, (did I mention at the time I was 4'11" and Weighed 112 lbs, but I was a golden gloves champ, I had that going for me). I went from E-1 to E-2 to E-1several times and when they kicked me off the submarines I was lower than whale stuff but a FEW GREAT NAVY CHIEFS set me straight and I went from E-1 to E-6 in less than 6 years no hand outs all the hard way and I made E-7 in 9 years then E-8 in the latter part of my 12 year but I was also selected and W-2 A Chief Warrant Officer and (when I got my departing EVAL from submarines they gave me all 1's (this isn't good at all)and in the write up they said I would amount to nothing) and I retired after 31 years as a W-5 the 6th one in my Designator "Boatswain" and I did it in 26 years. So yes no high school diploma not even a GED, but I am working on my degree but My heart and this dyslexia really makes it hard but when I work on something I like I do well so my GPA at ITT Tech is a 4.5.
         Now 4th I was just asking for advice a little help. Didn't get any from any of you and over the years I have been pretty helpful, You guys that have water blocks for your Dark boards did you know that Nate had the drawings but he had my board as well for 6 months for test fitting and unfortunately this is why one board had to be replaced, it was a simple mistake and I do not hold that against Nate as he still helps me out with stuff because he is a great guy. I still wish he would have used stand offs like the factory blocks but that would have raised the cost of the blocks and he was thinking of you guys.
         As for the issues I have been having, I called the other day for TECH support and I always write the names down but this one guy was a real jerk he said that all the board I sent back nothing was wrong with them, I know board (2) fried my Gskill DDR3 2133 F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH  4096X4 CL 9-11-10-28 1.65v Gskill RMA'ed the memory and the new stuff is top self memory, and my Gskill DDR3 2400 F-3-19200CL11Q-16GBHZD 4096X4 CL 11-11-11-31 1.65 was the set I didn't want to put in there but I was told to try it again and sure enough it took this set out as well. As I mentioned above the reading the board was giving me were way lower then what the Flute Multi meter was giving me, what drove me to test the voltage was the board would not boot into windows and I had this issue before with my Classified board and the fix was add a few volts to the memory because the board may say 1.65 but what you are actually getting is 1.52 or 1.50 and this means a lot when you are tiring to get the 2133 or 2400 to hit its mark. I learned this with the P67 board when I first started using 2133 Memory from Gskill. I called them told them it wasn't booting and they told me what setting to use and I passed this information on to all the guys that were trying to get their 2133 to work back then, I gave them the timing and voltages, the works that I got from Gskill. As that is what the forum is for not to show how big your balls are or your brain. Anyway I was getting power spikes from the board I tested the power supply and it was solid but at start up the voltages would go up and then drop to my setting and this is what took out my memory. I explained this to the tech and I didn't even get a I sorry.
         On the 3rd board My CPU died it was a 3930 and I lapped it so I am out $589.00 That long beep and screech will never be forgotten. again trying to remain positive another.
        On the 4th Board I asked for it to be tested  before it would be sent to me, when it got here I verified that it was tested with a phone call to TECH Support and since I got no help or advice from the forum I spent the time to remove my ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 board which is completely water cooled, it has a bad NIC and I figured since the EVGA Dark Board has 2 NIC's and looks and feels like a tank part it would be better Motherboard to use. Using Nate's water blocks  I had the Dark plumed and it looked sweet. I just took every thing out of the Asus build and put it in the EVGA Dark Build and used the same power supply. First push of the button nothing at all. I tested all the wires and noticed that one of the extensions for the 8 pin connectors at the top of the board had a bad crimp. I was using those expensive red and black ones from Frozen CPU and they don't solder them (Crap for the price they charge for each) so I re routed my two 8 pin cables and plugged them in and it started and stopped at 70, the Techs and a number of phone calls later We decided that there is something wrong with the board. Now usually I test out side the case first but I figured since they guaranteed it went through a bunch of testing before it went out I would be ok. I didn't loose any vitals but I am sure this is because I never got past 70 in the boot cycle.
         The best thing out of all this is the last person I spoke with told me that the boards that took out my memory and CPU were actually found bad and one found ok. so the guy that was a jerk to me can kiss my butt.
         Now once the RMA is closed out for a Video Card I can submit the RMA for the 5th Dark Board. I HAVE YET TO LOAD WINDOWS WITH A DARK BOARD. 
    I hope you can read this and if not I tried. If you want to know something about watercooling I am, pretty good at it.
    post edited by Theboatswain - 2014/09/10 15:58:00

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/09 15:44:07 (permalink)
    Theboatswain
     So here is the Question Which board is Better the EVGA Dark or the Asus Rampage Black Edition?

X79 Dark Hands Down.
    PS it took over 2 months before I gave up on the Back Edition.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/09/09 15:53:46

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/09 23:57:57 (permalink)
    Please no cursing on the forums. Such posts will be edited or deleted.

Regardless of how someone posts please don't attack them directly or indirectly. If you have a problem with a post contact a moderator please. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/10 16:17:38 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Theboatswain

X79 Dark Hands Down.
    PS it took over 2 months before I gave up on the Back Edition.

Finally some one with some useful information. I was able to get the second dark board to a bios screen and clocking looked a lot different than the black as I have been using the offset and my temps are never above 33 just messing around but in games the can climb as in CPUz the max voltage I see is 1.328v and my Memory score not sure if it is good but is 40967 with the black. Trust me I was very disappointed this time when it wouldn't go past post code 70. I have to wait for my video card to get checked in so I can get this Dark  back to them and I will test out side the case this time. Water cooling can be a drag with all the hoses having to be just right but I have them down to where  nothing has to be changed anymore. bcavnaugh please post back for pointer I can help with the Black if you want.
    The]Boatswain

rjohnson11
    Please no cursing on the forums. Such posts will be edited or deleted.

Regardless of how someone posts please don't attack them directly or indirectly. If you have a problem with a post contact a moderator please. 

I deleted the real word for the annoying little mule and replaced it with Donkey I didn't see any other unless you edited it for me, I just hope you didn't mess up my Grammar. Just trying to make a point, come into a post say something about the grammar but leave no useful information. I have helped people in here with a lot worse but I am sure that is due to language barriers but they appreciated the help as I would have.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/10 16:49:56 (permalink)
    My biggest issue was Memory on the Black and at the cost I really had little issues other them Memory.
    I could never get stable at 2133 and that was my goal, 1600 was the highest I ever got on 2400 MHz Memory the same memory that is on my Dark MB. Also I have never really liked ASUS Bios.
    The other reason that the ASUS Forum provides little or no support for new users.
    The EVGA Forum has helped me get back into Computer Building and they continue to help me and others.
    I see ASUS users also asking for help on their ASUS Motherboards and users here Help them.

manojks
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 456
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/10 18:32:43 (permalink)
    I have to agree with bcavnaugh there. I started this X79 trip with the EVGA X79 FTW. With its USB 3.0 issues and some weird C bug on the debug LED. We had to go around ourselves on this forum searching for the firmwares for the Hub & USB controllers. Some of us took risks and tried them out, beta testing it ourselves and some worked out really well as you can see the firmware of one was listed to be downloaded. 

Well after the C bug and the RMA, I went and try the ASUS X79 Rampage Formula. OMG what a terrible bios, i had no idea what i was doing, reading the manual made it worse. And the colors... who puts white pci-e slot unlocks on their boards that are red and black.... come on !

So after a year or so, we got invited to the upgrade of the year. EVGA X79 FTW -> EVGA X79 Dark. Well it just worked. And I can easily understand the new UEFI bios too and the feedback forum end users give actually gets listed to. Even Dave from EVGA made a brilliant manual for the EVGA X79 Dark, that would help out so many people.

I'll say the support here from EVGA & the forum users here is just one of the many reasons why my EVGA X79 Dark is just amazing. 

EVGA X79 DARK | Intel i7-3960X | EVGA TITAN SC | EVGA NEX 750W Gold | Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB |
    Pioneer BDR-206M | Pioneer DVR-217J | Audioengine DAC-D1 & AE5+ | Crucial M500 480GB
    Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/12 08:53:14 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    My biggest issue was Memory on the Black and at the cost I really had little issues other them Memory.
    I could never get stable at 2133 and that was my goal, 1600 was the highest I ever got on 2400 MHz Memory the same memory that is on my Dark MB. Also I have never really liked ASUS Bios.
    The other reason that the ASUS Forum provides little or no support for new users.
    The EVGA Forum has helped me get back into Computer Building and they continue to help me and others.
    I see ASUS users also asking for help on their ASUS Motherboards and users here Help them.

bcavnaugh,
      So you are running your DDR3 2400 at 1600 on the Dark board? This is somthing I am willing to do and just tighten up the timming. I just need to get another board. When I call this time I will tell them everything I am running as I think they used my old sig to set the board up when the tested it and sent it out. I will take the hit for that.
    manojks
    I have to agree with bcavnaugh there. I started this X79 trip with the EVGA X79 FTW. With its USB 3.0 issues and some weird C bug on the debug LED. We had to go around ourselves on this forum searching for the firmwares for the Hub & USB controllers. Some of us took risks and tried them out, beta testing it ourselves and some worked out really well as you can see the firmware of one was listed to be downloaded. 

Well after the C bug and the RMA, I went and try the ASUS X79 Rampage Formula. OMG what a terrible bios, i had no idea what i was doing, reading the manual made it worse. And the colors... who puts white pci-e slot unlocks on their boards that are red and black.... come on !

So after a year or so, we got invited to the upgrade of the year. EVGA X79 FTW -> EVGA X79 Dark. Well it just worked. And I can easily understand the new UEFI bios too and the feedback forum end users give actually gets listed to. Even Dave from EVGA made a brilliant manual for the EVGA X79 Dark, that would help out so many people.

I'll say the support here from EVGA & the forum users here is just one of the many reasons why my EVGA X79 Dark is just amazing. 

manojks,
       I have the Rampage IV Formula board as well because the X79 Classified Board was a disaster and I met teses guys on the Asus Forum Hiviz and Andy and they taught me how to work the crap out of the Asus Bios, I had my 3930 using 2133 and 2400 at speed clocked at 4.8 and in an offset configuration and temps were never above 29c and the the vid ws 1.312v as for the Black board and the 4930 it is a very tricky animal. and the board itself is very thin. This is why I like the Dar so much. And I love the lighting, I am wierd like that. "Squirel" I just want to get this board up and running. I calling here in a minute.  

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/12 09:09:12 (permalink)
    Theboatswain
    bcavnaugh,
      So you are running your DDR3 2400 at 1600 on the Dark board? This is somthing I am willing to do and just tighten up the timming. I just need to get another board. When I call this time I will tell them everything I am running as I think they used my old sig to set the board up when the tested it and sent it out. I will take the hit for that.

No I am running 2133 MHz on the Dark and 1600 MHz on the Black with the same 2400 MHz memory.
    2 Sets of Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Modules, 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2400MHz (PC3 19200) CMZ16GX3M4A2400C9
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/09/12 09:24:15

Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/12 15:21:06 (permalink)
    That is good to know. Sorry, to hear though. I set my Gskill at XMP and in Dram timing since I am using a 4930 I use the Rampage tweak Mode 3, and in my Formula board I used 2. This is where it gets interesting, my VTT is 1.05000 VCCSA is 1.050 Mem Voltage is 1.65 set in the bios and reads with the Flute Multi Meter at 1.65103 And in the DIGI setting I I put CPU Load line Cal @ High, CPU Current to 160%, Voltage Freq to Auto, VRM Over temp  to disable since it is water-cooled power duty to extreme, vcore MOS volt auto, power phase control to Extreme and Vcore Bootup to Auto,as for CPU VSA- VCCSA Load Line Cal- High, VCCSA Current Capability  120%, VCCSA Fived Freq to 300 and CPU VCCSA BOOTUP Voltage to Auto, CPU VTT- CPU VTT Switching Freq to 1.3X (this really helps with stability) and CPU VTT Over Current Protection-Auto, Dram Voltage- DRAM AB Current Capability-130%,Volt Freq-Auto, Power Phase to Auto,and the same for Dram CDPCH1.1v Switching Freq 1.3X  (this really helps with stability).This helped me get past DDR 3 1600. HIVIZ and Arne. I hope this helps if you pull the board back out.
    The Boatswain

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1794
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/18 21:15:13 (permalink)
    I am running this set of G Skill memory and just by setting XMP and it is working fine, 2133MHz @1.5V. My 3930k is OC to 4.1 by a slight bump to VCore (I think 1.25V). I don't recall the changes I made to VCCSA but I remember it was very minor, around 1.2V. BIOS reads all correctly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231525

new2019
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1290
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/09/30 20:01:41 (permalink)
    EDIT : Opened a separate topic for my issue.
    post edited by new2019 - 2014/10/04 06:45:46

EVGA SR2 | X5650 | X5650 | Corsair Dominator |

Theboatswain
    iCX Member
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/10/03 10:28:29 (permalink)
    LFaWolf
    I am running this set of G Skill memory and just by setting XMP and it is working fine, 2133MHz @1.5V. My 3930k is OC to 4.1 by a slight bump to VCore (I think 1.25V). I don't recall the changes I made to VCCSA but I remember it was very minor, around 1.2V. BIOS reads all correctly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231525

LFaWolf,
        I will give this a try. I put the board a way for now, The voltages on the board are off if I use the probe-it.
    TheBoatswain

LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1794
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: I have been using the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition AC4 has anyone used this and the D 2014/10/03 10:33:29 (permalink)
    Interesting, I don't use the probe but was reading off hardware monitor (software) and CPU-Z. I have also tested other memory with X79 Dark and if you are interested I can list them here. No compatibility issue except 1 - Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 2x4x4GB 32GB.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile