BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1

Author
hobobacon
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/09/01 20:40:55 (permalink)
Alright EVGA forum,

Let me first ask, where I can get the latest BIOS for the 132-BL-E758?? All download links on EVGAs support pages include empty iso files and there is one bin file thats only 1mb. The only and latest shown is the version 83-9/2/2011.

Specs:
132-BL-E758
i7 920 2.67ghz
4gb ram, 2 sticks of 2gb DDR3 1600 (was 3 sticks)
Evga 9800 gtx+
Recent upgrade to SSD
3 * additional hdd drives
550w psu

I've been dealing with progressively increasing problems for the last few months. I do not know if it's the mobo, but I'm working my way around the board here.

(10 months ago) An exposed copper wire from an FM antenna touched the outside of my steel case. What ever open voltage there was burnt out my PSU. I swapped out my 500w for a 550 spare and everything worked fine with the exception of one thing. Now when my computer boots after being unplugged it'll power on for 3 seconds, off, and then power on like normal. I've been told this may be due too PSU being under powered, but both my new and old PSU's were from reputable companies. I don't play power hungry games or really use this CPU too it's fullest most of the time. I also don't have another spare over 550w to work with here, so I haven't tested this.

A couple months down the line I start experiencing occasional blue screens. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL I looked these up, but let them go as problems associated with Windows. Current installation was over 2 years old and I figured it was corrupt somewhere along the lines. My time was tight and I had a lot going on. BSOD's get more frequent. Computer at least once 'just turned off' and rebooted with out warning. (Me thinking I hit a loose cable or something)

(Now) Completely eliminated old C drive for new SSD. Fresh copy of Windows 7 64. All driver (except BIOS) up to date. All is good for 36 hours. Then I notice Flash is crashing. ****? So I downgrade Flash. Problem persist randomly. Sometimes I can use Flash in my browser for hours. Other times it crashes repetitively. Firefox crashes randomly. Sometimes will not restart without immediate crash. Firefox in safe mode doesn't even work. Need to restart PC. Try Chrome, same problems, but Chrome can isolate it to a single tab (most of the time). Programs like VLC not starting up. Had Explorer crash on me once or twice.

Boot problems becoming noticeable. More frequently I'm getting a black screen with mouse icon only. Restart presents me with Windows repair. Works, but than on next reboot cycle continues randomly. Opened side of PC. Visual inspection of Mobo show no broken caps, burns, damage, nuttin... I cycle threw my RAM. One stick at a time until I find a problem child. Remove it. Computer boots fine.

New BSOD's like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and MEMORY_MANAGMENT have come up. Computer has randomly powered off at least 3 times in two weeks. Flash associated and random crashes have decreased but are still persistent. Multiple RAM test shows nothing. Haven't found/run into any corrupt personnel files. Like I said mobo appears fine. All fans working, ect..

I believe it's definitely a memory issue of sorts, but is it the controller? RAM test fine, but so did that bad stick.. If i replace the RAM completely am I risking the new modules if the controllers aren't working right?

Any suggestions on my next move? Thanks, new poster btw.

11 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/01 22:53:04 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..The latest BIOS is the ones you already found at the EVGA Download Center..Click "View" under "Notes" for each BIOS for instructions on how to flash.

If I'm reading the sequence of events right, you found the bad stick of RAM and removed it after you installed Windows and everything again?..If so, that could be a problem and I would be inclined to do it again, Custom clean installation.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

hobobacon
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/02 00:09:52 (permalink)
    I am definitely putting that on my list. I'd just hate to do all that work again; getting my machine just the way I like it... But on that line of thought, wouldn't running something like Ubuntu for a few days off of CD expose if it's a OS issue? I think I might try that first.

Also btw, my machine is completely at standard clock speeds. No OC here.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/02 00:38:57 (permalink)
    hobobacon
    wouldn't running something like Ubuntu for a few days off of CD expose if it's a OS issue?

Yeah, sounds reasonable to me.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/02 08:29:49 (permalink)
    hobobacon

A couple months down the line I start experiencing occasional blue screens. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL I looked these up, but let them go as problems associated with Windows. Current installation was over 2 years old and I figured it was corrupt somewhere along the lines. My time was tight and I had a lot going on. BSOD's get more frequent. Computer at least once 'just turned off' and rebooted with out warning. (Me thinking I hit a loose cable or something)

I have actully encouted those a handfull of times while overclocking and it seems to be memory instability. I would try adding a little VTT and see if they stop. Also run a stress test of your liking and see if you get more/other blue screens. Sometimes the bios will not correctly default memory to stable settings.

hobobacon
    (Now) Completely eliminated old C drive for new SSD. Fresh copy of Windows 7 64. All driver (except BIOS) up to date. All is good for 36 hours. Then I notice Flash is crashing. ****? So I downgrade Flash. Problem persist randomly. Sometimes I can use Flash in my browser for hours. Other times it crashes repetitively. Firefox crashes randomly. Sometimes will not restart without immediate crash. Firefox in safe mode doesn't even work. Need to restart PC. Try Chrome, same problems, but Chrome can isolate it to a single tab (most of the time). Programs like VLC not starting up. Had Explorer crash on me once or twice.

If your memory is not stable it *can* cause data corruption and other obscure problems. I've never actually had corruption occur but I've also never had unstable memory for a prolonged amount of time while installing applications.

hobobacon
    I believe it's definitely a memory issue of sorts, but is it the controller? RAM test fine, but so did that bad stick.. If i replace the RAM completely am I risking the new modules if the controllers aren't working right?

If you can't tell I agree the memory stability needs to be checked. First off check the memory settings in the bios if you haven't already for correct latency, voltage and speed. Download memtest86+ and let it go for a fair amount of time with all modules present. If that passes  download a stress test off your liking and run it. If it does bluescreen, increase the VTT by one step(25mv if my memory is working) and re-test, if it fails again try to increase it once more. If there are still no improvements roll back, it may not be a memory problem after all.

Note: Technically anything above 1066Mhz memory is overclocking the Cpu's memory controller. My i7 920 would need +175 VTT if I wanted to get my memory near its rated speed 2000Mhz. You *might* need like +50/75mv to be stable at ~1600Mhz, I did on an older C0 920.

EDIT: About the issue with installing OS's on possibly unstable hardware... All I can think of is install Linux on a flash drive from a different install then use that to test the computer in question. If you re-install on a computer with unstable memory because of bios settings its not going to matter if you removed a stick. 

post edited by dave851 - 2014/09/02 09:28:33
    hobobacon
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/02 14:42:11 (permalink)
    I've been using Firefox for a few hour with a Ubuntu disk. Firefox in Ubuntu crashes. Haven't observed long enough to see if there's other problems.

New symptom. I just noticed my RAM is under clocked too 1067mhz, down from 1600. I don't know when this occurred. I'd hate too be that guy, but I don't really mess with OC too much as my machines been adequate for my needs thus far, so I couldn't say how long it's been like that.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/02 22:21:50 (permalink)
    Your RAM will run at it's JEDEC specs (industry standard specs) when the speed, timing and voltage are set to the default of [Auto] in the BIOS..JEDEC specs are typically slower than the full rated specs to provide better compatibility across different platforms, that's most likely why it's running slower..Sometimes RAM running at it's JEDEC specs can be a problem..For RAM to run at it's full rated specs/speed, you almost always need to manually set the RAM's speed, timing and voltage or use it's XMP profile, you need to do that now..Set the speed (1600MHz) and timing (tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) in the BIOS -> Frequency/Voltage Control -> Memory Feature menu..Set the DIMM Voltage (RAM voltage) in the Voltage Control menu..You need to look at the sticker on the RAM for it's rated specs or go to the RAM manufacturers website and look it up..Command Rate should initially be set to 2T, you can try 1T later..1T is faster but sometimes doesn't work well with some RAM..Sometimes the exact same RAM can have different revision numbers/version numbers and different specs, you need to watch out for that too, look at each stick individually..When using 2 sticks, it's recommended to put them in slots 1 and 3 as described in your motherboard manual.  

hobobacon
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/09 21:32:51 (permalink)
    Busy week outside of my computer problems, but alas I return.
    I've tried setting OC timings recommended/listed for my (OCZ3g1600lv6gk) ram. 8-8-8-24 @ 1600mhz & 1.65v Anything over 1.6v wont get far past post. 1333mhz or more is the same thing. I'm not getting blue screens, but once I get to the "Windwos Loading" page the PC just reboots. So I go with the JEDEC specs. Auto specs weren't far off. Other than a reduction with the tRAS timing. So I'm at 1066mhz 8-7-7-16 1.5v now. 2T, btw.
    Seemed stable for two days. I really had no problems and I thought I fixed a simple problem. In that time I re-tested the bad stick alone and sure enough it's showing hundred of errors. I tested the remaining two stick individually for 1.5 hours each and together for 4 hours with zero errors. I was still having some Firefox crashes, but no BSOD's at that point. I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and Firefox/Chrome to see if I could eliminate the rest of my problems. NOPE, same deal. I only have Firefox/Chrome installed. "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA" bsod's. Firefox/Chrome crashing mostly in tandem with flash related pages.
    Also I can not find a tRC setting in Bios that is listed in the JEDEC timing table. Help? Source of continued problem?
    Otherwise what is recommended next? Thank you
    post edited by hobobacon - 2014/09/09 21:41:30
    dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/11 17:56:42 (permalink)
    Yea sounds like you have a bad ram stick. You have one stick showing hundreds of errors and are memory related bsods. I would remove that stick and see how it goes. Keep in mind with two sticks you should use slots 1 and 3. 
    hobobacon
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/11 19:18:38 (permalink)
    Already done that Dave. I had removed the "bad stick" before I had changed the bios settings. I was just verifying the errors with the updated settings. Now I'm running on my remaining two sticks that have shown to be error free, but I'm still getting BSODs. I'm in slots 1 & 3 btw.

Can anyone tell me why the BSODs and app crashes are mostly related to Flash associated processes? It's much more problematic with large bandwidth things like Youtube and Vimeo, but it seems evident still when ever Flash is present. Is it the way Flash uses RAM? I still get have problems, but they're far less common without Flash involved.
    post edited by hobobacon - 2014/09/11 19:25:35
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/11 23:15:01 (permalink)
    I would lose the OCZ RAM and try something else and see how it goes..OCZ RAM has been problematic for many people (incl. me), perhaps that's why they went out of the memory business..OCZ went bankrupt and was bought out by Toshiba, now they just make SSD's.

fanboy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2811
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: BSOD's/Crashes/Ect Trying to Problem Solve Here, X58 E758-A1 2014/09/15 16:00:37 (permalink)
    I been rocking my OCZ GOLD ram for almost 5 years without issues.. the only real issue I has was the board itself as the ram looks seated but it is not and i had to almost break the board to seat the ram so it could be the same issue i had what ram slots..

Xeon X5660 6core 
    Evga  E758  X58  3 way Sli A1 rev 1.2
    OCZ Gold DRR3 1600Mhz 6Gb 
    WD Black 500Gb 32Mb  
    CX Sapphire R9-280 
    Corsair  TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W
    Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile