EVGA

780i SLI pause at code 25, beeps, continues to FF - no display

Author
ZFein23
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/30 14:40:20 (permalink)
I have a 6 year old build with a 780i SLI motherboard and a 9800GTX+ graphics card. As the title states, the motherboard pauses with the LED displaying 25, beeps as it changes to 26, and then continues on to FF. I cannot get anything to display on the monitor. I've reset the graphics card and tried it in every slot, with the same result each time. I've also reset the CMOS, reset the CPU, and reset the RAM, as well as tried different combinations of RAM and slots. I see that the error code 25 states "Shadow system/video BIOS" but the display does continue on after that.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts or other systems to test parts on. I'd rather not buy a new graphics card unless I'm certain that it is causing the issue. If the issue is the motherboard itself or the processor I'll likely replace the whole computer.

1 Reply Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 780i SLI pause at code 25, beeps, continues to FF - no display 2014/08/30 17:10:52 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums..That's a tough one to call given the age of the components, could be the mobo or the graphics card (unlikely the PSU would be at fault)..The only way to know for sure would be to try the 9800 GTX+ in another system or try another compatibil graphics card in your 780i..If you know somebody that would be willing to try your 9800 GTX+ in their system, that would be ideal..Or, you could take it to a PC repair shop and have them test it.

Realize that solder cracking on the PCB of graphics cards manufactured in that era was relatively common and lead to a Pandora's box of issues, but mostly artifacting and BSOD's, betting that's the problem though..You could try disassembling the card and baking only the PCB like this which should reflow any solder cracks that might exist..If you decide to bake it, do it with the GPU side up, not down as shown in the video..I just link that video because the band/song (Come Clarity - In Flames) seems appropriate, lol..Remove the fiber optic power indicator conduit that goes from the PCB to the mounting bracket or it will melt, trust me on that one, lol..Otherwise, baking won't hurt anything at all..If it's still under warranty, RMA it if you determin that it's failed, of course.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile