EVGA

OTA 2.5

Author
erexstad
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/05 05:55:24 (permalink)
I have just downloaded an installed the most recent OTA.  I'm very excited to report that it solves a long-standing problem with my Tegra.  I was unable to use my stylus to draw freehand on PDF documents inside ezPDF Reader.  Other PDF viewers allowed freehand annotation, but there was some incompatibility between ezPDF Reader and the Direct Stylus.  I'm happy to report this incompatibility has been resolved with the 2.5 update.

The XDA Developers forum contains further information about this OTA at this forum link

It is a big deal for me to have the stylus compatibility issue fixed for this app.
post edited by erexstad - 2014/08/05 05:57:53

14 Replies Related Threads

hfernandez12
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/09 01:51:02 (permalink)
    Is everyone else's tablet taking longer for full start up. It takes 1:49-1:51 to start up when it used to take only 43 seconds.
    gadgetboi
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/09 07:19:59 (permalink)
    No, I am still around ~35 seconds even with a 3rd party launcher.

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
    greencd43
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/11 12:03:20 (permalink)
    My TN7 was booting in 36 secs pre 2.5 update. It takes 85 secs after update.
    greencd43
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/11 12:37:56 (permalink)
    Using the ES File Explorer app that came with the 2.5 update I am able to copy a file to/from my SD card and also delete a file from it, but renaming a file did not work.
    I have not been able to do this since the KitKat upgrade. 
    Anyone else tried it?
    Is this a new version of ES File Explorer or was it able to do this on previous versions?
    post edited by greencd43 - 2014/08/11 12:41:17
    rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/13 07:57:10 (permalink)
    greencd43
    Using the ES File Explorer app that came with the 2.5 update I am able to copy a file to/from my SD card and also delete a file from it, but renaming a file did not work.
    I have not been able to do this since the KitKat upgrade. 
    Anyone else tried it?
    Is this a new version of ES File Explorer or was it able to do this on previous versions?

I don't think it has anything to do specifically with ES File Explorer. They included it with the latest update so that it would be a system app with the proper permissions to write to the SD card. I've been using ES for years and never had issues except with KitKat, and that's Google's fault, not ES's. Hopefully Google will wise up and fix this with Android L since being able to write to SD/USB devices was always a big selling point of Android over iOS.
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/13 22:36:45 (permalink)
    The version of ES file explorer is shown as an OEM version under the information.  It could have other features having to do with SD card, but I haven't tested anything to find that out.
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5064
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/16 08:08:55 (permalink)
    I finally decided to do the whole enchilada...updated from OTA 2.1 all the way through to 2.5 and upgraded to the KitKat release (4.4.2).  One very annoying thing that all or one of these updates solved for me was being continually asked whether I wanted to use Chrome or Youtube every time I wanted to play a video from within a browser.  Choosing the "Always" button had no effect either because I would get asked all over again even if I retried playing the same exact video.  That problem is finally gone.  After updating, I was asked one time, I made my selection and now it is not nagging me with that question anymore...hallelujah!

As to the boot/start-up time, I was running ~34 seconds from  holding down the power button until I got the main screen painted and up.  After all these updates, the time is the same.  I typically just use the TN7 for browsing the net, online forums, watching YouTube videos, email and taking notes.  So, I can't comment on anything beyond that being affected by these updates.  The TN7 is still as snappy as it was before and all the apps that I use are working just fine, audio is still just as strong too (for YouTube videos).

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/22 05:20:42 (permalink)
    I do have one ongoing problem after doing all these updates.  It is a new daily issue with the TN7 being unresponsive after sitting overnight and being woke-up after opening the flip-cover.  I've been getting around it by momentarily pressing the power button to put it back to sleep.  Then I momentarily press the power button again to wake it and the screen is back to working properly.  I was occasionally getting this before doing all the updates, but now it is a daily occurrence.

xphyle
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/22 08:11:54 (permalink)
    Same here with the non responsive screen.
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/26 07:19:26 (permalink)
    I can consistently solve the unresponsive screen (or portions of the screen that don't respond) by doing the momentary on/off routine that I shared above.  Just had to do it again a minute ago and it happens multiple times a day.  This is probably one of the more aggravating things with the TN7 and I rarely had to do this on other (non Nvidia) Android Tablets that I've owned (but they had their quirks too).  Seems that this TN7 (and/or KitKat/OTA combos) is now prone to this weirdness.  This kind of stuff clouds my opinion of buying more products (either Nvidia tablets or maybe Android-based in general).

rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/26 15:34:08 (permalink)
    texinga
    I can consistently solve the unresponsive screen (or portions of the screen that don't respond) by doing the momentary on/off routine that I shared above.  Just had to do it again a minute ago and it happens multiple times a day.  This is probably one of the more aggravating things with the TN7 and I rarely had to do this on other (non Nvidia) Android Tablets that I've owned (but they had their quirks too).  Seems that this TN7 (and/or KitKat/OTA combos) is now prone to this weirdness.  This kind of stuff clouds my opinion of buying more products (either Nvidia tablets or maybe Android-based in general).

I've always had an issue where if the screen wakes from opening the cover, the touchscreen sometimes acts all wonky, but a quick off/on with the power button fixes it, and it never happens to me if I just use the power button (I rarely put the cover on as it's too flimsy and just makes holding the tablet awkward). It's a specific issue involving the magnetic sensor that wakes/sleeps the screen from the slide cover, and it's been happening literally since day one (I've had mine since launch).
    post edited by rchrdcrg - 2014/08/26 15:35:35
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/26 16:15:34 (permalink)
    rchrdcrg
    texinga

I've always had an issue where if the screen wakes from opening the cover, the touchscreen sometimes acts all wonky, but a quick off/on with the power button fixes it, and it never happens to me if I just use the power button (I rarely put the cover on as it's too flimsy and just makes holding the tablet awkward). It's a specific issue involving the magnetic sensor that wakes/sleeps the screen from the slide cover, and it's been happening literally since day one (I've had mine since launch).

Good point and I usually flip that cover closed every time I'm through using the TN7.  I'm gonna try your method to see if that helps things for me too.  Thanks for the tip! 

rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/29 07:41:24 (permalink)
    texinga

Good point and I usually flip that cover closed every time I'm through using the TN7.  I'm gonna try your method to see if that helps things for me too.  Thanks for the tip! 

I actually confirmed this quirk a while back by using a small magnet; I would use it as a quick way to wake/lock the screen, and whenever I would wake it by sliding the magnet over, the same issue would happen. I'm not sure why they still haven't fixed this after nearly a year, and I'm starting to get the impression it won't ever get fixed as Nvidia is already treating this tablet as yesterday's news, even though it's only 9 months old. As much as I want a Shield Tablet for its tech, I'm not sure I'd buy another Nvidia tablet after seeing the way they're abandoning this one so soon. Perhaps I'll just wait for the next Nexus.
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: OTA 2.5 2014/08/30 04:45:02 (permalink)
    Rch, it has been 3 days and the problem with the screen being unresponsive has not returned.  So, your suggestion to not close the magnetic cover has worked for me.  It would also appear that leaving the cover open and preventing the "magnetic sleep/wake" initiation has also solved that network connectivity problem as well.  I haven't had to manually stop/restart WiFi in the past 3 days either.  

Too bad that there isn't a way to disable that magnetic sleep/wake function on the TN7 so the cover could still be used as a cover/stand.  I still use the cover's stand capability and the fold options as a hand-hold.  It is not the most durable cover I've seen, but did have a few uses for me.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile